Why?

Why?
Was every little village one inbred micro-cosmos?

Other urls found in this thread:

vec.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pajina_prinsipałe
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No different in other places in Europe, many dialects everywhere.

Why isn't Sardinian shown in the map?

It's too distinct to be considered part of Italian.

That's the case everywhere (except to a lesser extent in countries that pursued more aggressive language centralisation policies). Because people were much more isolated (only travelling between neighbouring villages), living in different valleys, behind mountains, forests and swamps, different places started speaking in different ways and dialects emerged.

You'll see that almost everywhere in the world.
Language is ever evolving, and only by heavy central standardization will you see a decrease in the number and differences between dialects.

>Why?
Because no central language authority means my way of speaking is neither less nor more correct than the guys on the other side of the river's.

Because Sardinian a Friulan get acknowledged as languages by the italian government for political reasons.

>Rome has 14 dialects in the city itself

Castelli romani isn't Rome, it's a hilly rural area southwest of the city.
It used to literally be a land of isolated inbred hill villages until the 19th century, when it became a tourist destination (lots of ancient roman shit) and country retreat.

>southwest
Fuck me, southeast.

Because there was no Italy politically or Italian language prior to Sardinia-Piedmont's consolidation of the peninsula. Since the fall of Rome, Italy has been heavily populated, decentralised and seen migration and invasion from a range of sources.
The Italian language of today is just Florentine, and while it had been a lingua-franca of the intelligentsia throughout Italy for centuries, common people spoke their local tongue.

The map you posted seriously stretches the definition of dialect though, it has to be dividing based on the presence of a handful of local words or something like that.

>The Italian language of today is just Florentine
I wish this meme would stop.
Modern italian is based on the 13th century tuscan vulgar (plus tons of vocabulary and even grammatical structures from other vulgars), but modern florentine is just as different from standard italian as any other central italian dialect is.

That's how dialects develop in real countries, Billy-Bob

Not for political reasons. This two languages took birth from two different linguistic branchs than italian.

Sicilian has the same ancestor of italian, but sometimes is considered a different language, At the same time is the farthest dialect from a "standard".
as in this map

>This two languages took birth from two different linguistic branchs than italian.
But user, the same goes for venetian, piedmontese, lombard and emilian. The only difference is the political history of the regions.

What surprises me is "veneti" not being overrun by gallo-italic dialects.

It's because they held out against the gallic migration to northern Italy in the 4th century BC, by virtue of being properly civilized and federated already, plus they allied themselves with Rome very early on (already allied against Brennus's gauls) by virtue of being considered a kin people by the romans, so they had no trouble dealing with subsequent gallic and germanic incursions until the fall of the roman empire.
Also centuries of unity under Venice didn't hurt either.

It's true that politics had an important role in that (because of Sardinians having a completely different ethnic identity), but Sardinian is in a different category compared to Tuscan (Italian) and Sicilian. Not only a different group, but even subbranch.

Even a small country such as the Netherlands has this kind of situation.
Only in recent history has this changed. I think mainly education and the media are responsible.

The interesting one for me is Russian, cause there really aren't very many dialectical differences -- some minor ones, but compared to e.g. German, it's very homogenous. I'm not surprised there's no Siberian dialect, because it was colonized pretty recently, but I'm surprised how little variation there is in European Russian -- there's no really distinct Volgograd dialect or accent, or Yaroslavl accent, or Kazan dialect. I suppose the lack of mountains might feature into it but it's not like most of the pop. of the Russian Empire was in a position to travel very much.

well it might be because both Volgograd and Kazan regions were subjects of colonization and conquest of muscovy principality.

Papism is very clannish.

Or English for that matter. It's literally the same language everywhere, even on the other side of the planet.

Hundreds of years ago, though. More than long enough for distinctive dialects, or at least strong regional accents, to develop. Think about how different American and British English sound and then roughly double that. Except that didn't happen for some reason. Obviously Old East Slavic split into Belarusian and Ukrainian and Russian, but somehow stayed very uniform within those three splits (or at least Russian did -- I don't know enough about the others to say).

English makes more sense to me since most of the 'splits' happened relatively recently. 200 years (less in the case of NZ and Australia) isn't all that long, really. There are some pretty strong regional accents in the UK itself but a lot of those are dying out.

But American English, British English and Australian English are all distinguishable and are made up of different dialects as well.
Belgium is very flat, but has several different dialects as well.

Sardinian is the only Romance language to not palatalize c before front vowels which I think speaks volumes as to how distinct it is from Italian. As for why is Italy so linguistically diverse, it simply took until the 19th century for an Italian nation to form and impose Dante's Florentine Toscan on the whole country. Plus Italian national identity never really took off the way it did in Germany or France and regional languages in Italy don't have the status of patois.

Doii, that post was meant to be a reply to

Another strong factor in this is the fact much of the nobility up and down the peninsula began to spoke French in the 17th-18th Centuries and rarely promoted the use of various Italian languages.

Jebote, kako imate toliko narječja na 15 metara kvadratnih?

Because, despite memes, the Italian genetic makeup is ancient and hasn't changed considerably since the early iron age.

the soviets homogenised everything.
There is still some difference between north and south, though.

pic related.
Most of it has been munched up in the meantime.

It's the same everywhere in Europe, Italians are just autistic enough to think its important.

I know that sardinian has many differences to total italic dialects. Friulan is almost the same: I live in a region nest to Friuli, and, if it's true that venetian or other north italian dialects has some peculiarities, friulan has a very different syntax, also many terms are totally different.
For example, to form plural nouns in italics change the final vocals, (house: casa-> case)
friulan adds the "s", (cjasa->cjasa)

The language and culture of the Veneti of antiquity have little to do with the inhabitants today. We really don't know much about them at all, only that they neighboured the Gauls and Illyrians, but were neither Gallic nor Illyrian. There are also a couple of myths about Trojans settling there, but take that with a grain of salt.
The language of the Veneti was not related to Latin, whereas Venetian is a vulgar Latin descendant through and through.

The difference is probably even bigger than that, written Venetian isn't that unusual, most Romance speakers can probably figure it out.
vec.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pajina_prinsipałe
It sounds peculiar when spoken because of the unvocalised L and tendency to drop trailing vowels.

English """dialects""" are not quite the same as say Italian dialects.

To be honest, the map could look like South Italy in OP's map if it took into account the varieties of individual dialects. Upper Carniolan, for example, could be further divided into some four subcategories which could also be divided further. After all, we do have a saying that "every village has its voice".

>every country has this XD
Keep in mind that Italian dialects are completely different languages most of the times, they have little to no resemblance to the official Italian language, it's not just a matter of accents and rhytm, think more like English and Welsh.

Example:
>English: I went home
>Italian: Sono andato a casa
>Dialect (Bari): M n sò sciout a cc's

>English: Have you seen that guy?
>Italian: Hai visto quel tipo?
>Dialect: U' ssi vist a cudd dé?

Yes we Sardinians add "s" in plural nouns

Adding some of my sardinian for shit and giggles

I went home
Sono andato a casa
Seu torrau a domu

Have you seen that guy
Hai visto quel tipo?
Asi biu cussu ziu?

Di unni veni?

Nice fabricated chart. Prior to the white barbarian invasion from Kazakhstan, Italy was completely black.

Kek

>tfw in a hundred years the whole planet will be speaking some boring bland inoffensive descendent of mid western neutral English
t-thanks capitalism

>muh tribalism

Back to the Stone Age, Bunji.

Not going to happen.

What's funny is that there are probably Americans out there who unironically believe this, if nothing else as a coping mechanism because they don't actually have their own language but rather speak the language of the nation that once ruled over them.

The American colonies were established by the British so it's only natural to keep English instead of inventing or adopting another language for the sake of being "different".

burgers literally destroy their own system of hegemony because they want to be "different".

>was every little village one inbred micro-cosmos
basically

Probably, both derive from the plural accusative in latin.

Shit. I can speak some Italian because I lived in Rome for a little but because I learned standard Italian I can only really understand people speaking that. A guy at work's family is from Tuscany and I can understand them really well but anywhere else and I have a hard time.

>M n sò sciout a cc's
How would one even pronounce this?

>barese

Monolingual anglo spotted

It's an objected fact that modern italian is a sort of Lingua Franca, based on Florentine stirred with other dialects. Italian is also only 150 years old, therefor local idioms are strong yet.
If I look at Balkans, I see the same differences in slavic lenguages, a varicolored puzzle of local lengueges in a relative little space. The only difference is a shorter common history and so strong central will of uniformation.

Venezia Bella!!!

acient centralization...

Japanese and particularly Chinese are really bad with this too. I can understand China because 1 billion people and recent centralization, but how the fuck can Japanese dialects remain so distinct centuries?

Did someone say inbred microcosm?

Nowadays Japanese is homogenous in Okinawa, but until WWII every little village was pretty much inbred micro-cosmos. The villages where my grandparents came from were less than a mile apart and they spoke different dialects of the now endangered Okinawan language.
In my grandfather's village for example there are the main three families and three minor families. Marriages between first cousins were very common and it wasn't unusual for them to have the exact same name. My grandfather's parents for instance were both called Nuku Teruya.

Mfw those literal retards living in barbaria think they are true Sardinians but they're the worst ones by far

Also in Carnia, the most isolated, authentic and characteristic land of Friuli, it's the same.