Pre-16th century Galicia

Where can I find a detailed Latin (or other Romance) language map of Galicia from before the 16th century?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherven_Cities
polona.pl/item/14883852/0/
rcin.org.pl/dlibra/doccontent?id=42283
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Galicia didn't even exist before late 18th century.

Ok. Where can I find a detailed Latin (or other Romance) language map from before the 16th century of the region later known as Galicia?

Bump

Bump

Bump

It was Kingdom of Poland.

Maybe you should look for Halych

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherven_Cities

>Cherven_Cities
And that.

Thanks! This is the region I'm interested in but I want to know what the towns and villages were called in Latin (or other Romance language) at the time. These maps are in Polish.

I think it should be possible since both the Eastern Roman Empire and the Italians had trade routes through this region.

polona.pl/item/14883852/0/
rcin.org.pl/dlibra/doccontent?id=42283

Thank you! This is great. Are there other maps?

>I think it should be possible since both the Eastern Roman Empire (...)

First off, ERE maps and names would be in Greek.

Second, the routes you have marked there were overwhelmingly carried out by northern traders going south to Byzantium and back rather than the Byzantines going north.

Anyway or is as Latin as you would get (though I thiink they are both 16th century). The 40+ phonemes of the barbaric Slav vernacular have already been wrestled into the Latin alphabet by a Latin-using scholar, and a few places of more international importance do have more standardised Latinised forms (e.g. Cracovia).

>Galicia didn't even exist before late 18th century.
It did but not in the form shown by OP.

Galicia is based on a rendering of Halych (=Galic, Halicz in the OP pic) and referred to the area around the city.

Lesser Poland with Krakow only became part of a Galicia and Lodomeria (a Habsburg Kingdom) after the partitions of Poland in the late 18th century.

>First off, ERE maps and names would be in Greek.
Yes. I would not mind seeing a Byzantine map in Greek of the region I asked about.

>Second, the routes you have marked there were overwhelmingly carried out by northern traders going south to Byzantium and back rather than the Byzantines going north.
Fair enough. But there were also Genoese and Venetian traders from Italy passing through the region, so I would expect maps of the region in their language to have existed at some point.

>Anyway # or # is as Latin as you would get (though I thiink they are both 16th century). The 40+ phonemes of the barbaric Slav vernacular have already been wrestled into the Latin alphabet by a Latin-using scholar, and a few places of more international importance do have more standardised Latinised forms (e.g. Cracovia).
I'm interested in whether Latinate names were Slavicized, rather than the obverse.

>pick city
>search in wikipedia
>change to a latin based language of your choice

Thy the fuck are a lot of places in Europe called Galicia?

This doesn't work for all towns and villages, and it doesn't provide any insights into the etymology of place names that isn't already known.

The Eternal Celt used to be the most predominant Ethnic group in Western Europe and bits of the east.

Chances are if a name has "Gal-" beginning on it, it used to be Celtic. Galatia, Galicia in Spain, ETC.

Interesting.

>I'm interested in whether Latinate names were Slavicized, rather than the obverse.

Why would they? None of that area was ever part of the Roman world. They've had contact with the Norse, Germans, the Orthodox (south) east, other Slavs, but the closest Romance people were way on the other side of the Carpathians.

There were Genoese and Venetian trade outposts north of the Black Sea, and trade routes from Italy through the region, so it is feasible that some place names could have a Latin origin. There are certainly place names there that are not Slavic in origin and whose etymology is otherwise unclear. That's why I'm interested in an old Latin or Romance language map, because there might be something there that has not been as yet sufficiently investigated.

Bump

Polish Galicia has nothing to do with Celts and/or Roman Empire

>There are certainly place names there that are not Slavic in origin and whose etymology is otherwise unclear.
There are no such place names. If you think otherwise give examples.