/domg/ - Dominions General

Read the manual edition

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.
The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 3000 units, 900 spells and 400 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.
It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.
Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/qaccWnMt

>DOMINIONS 5 IS OUT.

>Where do I get it?
Currently only available on Steam.
store.steampowered.com/app/722060/Dominions_5__Warriors_of_the_Faith/

>Manual
Read it.
illwinter.com/dom5/dom5manual.pdf
illwinter.com/dom5/dom5tables.pdf

>Mod inspector
Coming sooner or later.
larzm42.github.io/dom5inspector/

>Multiplayer guide
The best way to learn how to play is to get stomped.
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1212948582

>Debug mod
For testing stuff.
dropbox.com/s/gc9io6paebo4pj3/Debug_501.zip?dl=0

>How do I change the fonts?
Replace guifont.ttf, guifont_fancy.ttf and guifont_texty.ttf in the game folder (C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Dominions5\data usually).

>Completed games
Submit them here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeuclmaCiRo8vcTztsKjPJxnBgRDE-E1uNvE5j0x5wDZMMhRA/viewform
Results:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OxILAa3Y_O7Vk2NFhKAAQfStHqh1WJXMkGCim9sQ_ns/edit#gid=1292233344

>OP pastebin
Just copypaste it and link the previous thread.
pastebin.com/RbFWcFcU

>Drawfaggotry
dominionsdraws.imgur.com/

>Previous Pantokrator

Other urls found in this thread:

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=vgnewbiegame
twitter.com/AnonBabble

reread the manual
all of it

How's MA Ermor in dom5?
Same skele-spam shit that you gotta knock out asap?

How do I use undead, anons
I really like the idea of Rome with skelebros backing them up.

I want to fuck a Tengu.

same shit

though they can take living pretenders and still cast burden of time now that half-dead bless is a thing
waterbreathing bless means you can take priests and lictors underwater too which is neat

Oh yeah!You like being enlightened, you thirsty slut, don't you?

>Send messages to my two neighbors trying to establish borders
>Only one responds
>Other guy quickly moves past the borders I requested, ending up next to a province I control
>Next turn sends me what I suspect to be a "hey what's up" message
FFS.

Are you talking EA or MA Ermor? Or are you talking Sceleria?

every nation I take an interest in ends up being shit
please tell me Atlantis is viable in at least one age

What nations?

Yep, late age.

LA Atlantis is pretty good as long as you can get the forgiving fathers from UW since they got communions and large health pools. Their troops are also pretty great since they have magic weapons.

Sceleria.

Join this newbie game, we need 3 more.

let me hear your LA Pythium theorycrafts, i have no clue how to play it

Ah well then disclaimer I haven't played them since dom4 but I'm aware of the really significant changes so...
You got communions with squishy but sacred human priests, you got astral and death with very small air and water on your native mages, and the ability to reanimate free undead chaff with every NATIONAL priest. Sceleria was hurt a little bit by the bless changes, the communion changes, and the reanimation changes. Formerly you used to be able to get more health and regen with nature but that is not quite possible anymore (you could also take full scales and s9 for really easy shadow vestal expansion and some communion protection for the cost of a shroud), additionally you take more damage from communion fatigue, and you can no longer use those shitty independent indie priests to reanimate hordes of undead for the cost of a single temple.

With the nerfs in mind I would say start expansion with a legionary minded army with productivity and growth or an awake expander that gives you a bit more diversity and a small buff to your mages earth bull with e3+ and nature 5 if you want late game earth via troll kings court and air via faery court respectively. Many undead have cold auras so if you feel like dumping to take the bull feel free to take cold 3.

Magic
>Early game
Enchantment 2, 3, 5, 6
Revive King- cheap troop ferry so you don't have to move mages
Raise Skeletons - earlier and much worse version of horde of skeletons but still some early combat potential
Twiceborn - I think this was buffed so you can lose your mages outside your dominion and get em back. Use this with your Grand Thaumaturgs to slowly get some mages that can survive the rigors of late game combat they have a 25% chance of gaining death +1 so use on all d3 mages
Horde of Skeletons- bread and butter use communions to spam this forever
Rigor Mortis - Very useful spell will slowly fatigue all LIVING units (especially mages even your own)

Most recently MA Machaka and Kailasa. They're not literally unplayable-tier but still pretty far down there it looks like.
Nice. I was always put off by the ridiculous res cost on their heavy infantry and how their most well-rounded stuff was locked underwater.
Know of any typical early and late game plans with them?
I feel like I have to mix Mournful with some of the 26-res glaive infantry to expand and hope their morale holds, if I don't want to use their sacreds. Their sacreds seem too vulnerable for their cost without a bless.

>Victory by conquest

No

Thank you! I'll figure out what all that means, but it sounds like i need to learn how communions work.

Last thread people complained about victory by thrones!

Alteration ~6 is a goal
Invulnerability- to make your communion mages nearly immune to earthquake/rain of stones (Not sure what the ROS changes do for this spell might stop the interrupts.)
Darkness - Makes all your living units shit but since you are spamming a billion skeletons anyways this typically hurts your opponent more since skeletons see in the dark.
Soul Vortex - Mostly a thug spell but can be combined with living bodyguards to restore mage fatigue just be sure you don't have mages standing too close to one another.
Conjuration ~5-6
Power of the Spheres - gives you +1 to all paths great for skelespamming/casting spells just out of reach.
Light of the Northern Star - gives all astral mages +1 to astral useful.
Summon Shade beasts - Ethereal reanimating chaff not exceptionally great but you get large numbers of them with a single casting
Revive Bane(Lord) - Good LIGHT thugs that dont suffer fatigue typically combined with a frost brand + vine shield if you use these in big battles try to buff them with body ethereal
Summon Specter- This is kind of a crapshoot but it can give you access to earth if you don't have that on your pretender.
Summon Ghosts- very good chaff you typically want to buff them with some kind of protection something you don't have at the start. They are notable for having fear which will eventually cause your enemies to run away.
Evocation 5+7
Shadow Blast - It looks shitty at first glance but it scales VERY well. Hits 1 additional square for every death level above 2 use with communions and a skull staff to get the biggest bang for your gem.
Nether Darts - Combined with light of the northern star you can shoot out billions of these.

This doesn't cover the astral spells but you kind of have the idea.
Other things to note are...
1. Longdead horsemen have higher average DPS than normal longdead so reanimate them over the other kinds when prudent. 3x damage with the lance and 2 attacks totaling 4 per square vs 3 of normals

So is Dom 5 supposed to run like shit or is it just not win10 compatible?
When ever I try to boot it it runs super slow. Every menu outside of the start menu just gets this weird graphical glitch where the menu title text is the text for every option, making it impossible to change any setting or create a game. Does Illfraud even have technical support or should I just go back to Dom 4?

Are mazziks any good? 8 for 3 gems doesn't seem like too bad of a deal and they have a pretty good statline, but size 1 is both a blessing and a curse

I honestly don't know why anyone would do that
you should definitely change it

last thread people complained about the throne setup you picked

you were the guy that thought 3 level one thrones with 3 points to win was a good idea right?

Changed. We need one more

Oh now I understand. I just did the settings as they were with no changes.

5 points to win with 7 points of thrones is fine, but I'd advise having a 5/1 split instead of 3/2

2. you have powerful divine spells such as Apostasy steal their sacreds, Anathema cause their sacreds to rack up lots of afflictions and quickly become worthless, and Power of the Sepulchre which lets your undead move faster and hit more often because of these spells you shouldn't be afraid to do some reanimation early game if you think it will be helpful.
Basically communions give you a +1 to all magic paths starting at 2 slaves. Every time you double the number of slaves you get another +1 any fatigue you get from casting is split among the master and slaves so it helps you cast spells longer.
So
2 = +1
4 = +2
8 = +3
16= +4
32 = +5 which I think is the limit.

The ideal goal is to hit level 3 in death so you get half cost skelespam. You can check how much of a boost your masters are getting by left clicking on the "Communion Master" icon that will be on their unit description I don't think it actually shows the gains beyond that.

what the FUCK have they done to my yomi

where are all my oni

dude just freespawn lmao
just make temples
just take turmoil
dude

So based on discussion in the last thread, I'm trying to make a build around jihadist flagellants.

Would this work?

>Dormant
>I N C A R N A T E O N L Y

They're freespawn now. You get them in a temple, numbers according to dominion score. Akaoni and aooni are exceptions, they're based on temperature scales.

If you're just trying to meme flagellants, take sloth and a bit of drain so you can take more dominion and Luck as a bless. Luck will be better than Twist Fate on your flags and more dominion will make it easier to spam them.

I think I could deal long enough with only the non-incarnate blesses for dormant. Would it be that dangerous?

Thanks, my main concern is them chain reacting when one detonates.

Unfortunately I haven't played them in multiplayer yet but you could go for early conjuration 5 for summon water power +2gems to spam out water Elementals focusing on underwater provinces to get the powerful mages you need for midgame.
I'm not sure if crossbows were nerfed but you might want to consider building a fort on indie crossbows and churning out a couple dozen of those a turn if you want to focus on the land.
The death 1 can be used for frighten or dust to dust spam but it isn't super awesome unless you got it in large quantities I think on land the Angakoks are your most decent mages at the very least they can be used to summon lots of undead for buffing.

I know that late game they like Stygian rains since their units have magic weapons that slice through the invulnerability given but beyond knowing they are a decent nation if not a hard counter to Lemuria (and R'lyeh?) I'm not too sure how to play them.

Expansion with suiciders probably isn't the greatest idea.

I'm surprised everyone's focused on Mari though. Man has gotten some attention, but rather than boars EA Xibalba's beast bats seem like they'd be great for kamikaze.

Why are you trying to expand with flagellants?
Why do you want twist fate when you're just trying to suicide them? Really, you should just drop the death explosion meme and go for a much more economical blood vengeance build for maximum mage-killing.

>Why do you want twist fate when you're just trying to suicide them?
Not that user, but I assume it's there so the flags don't start blowing up before they reach the enemy.

Oni don't detonate.

B-but muh jihad memes.

Can confirm, want to avoid chain reactions.

Early game focus on Wooden Warriors + Flame Ward legionary armies then slowly build two different kinds of armies.
Fire army - using foreign recruit heliodromus' with indie crossbowmen and the solar troops using spells like heat from hell/flaming arrows/fireball/summon fire elementals
and
Poison Army - using foul vapors, skelespam (and undead/vine ogre summons), and whatever else you can cobble together like buffed full size hydras at the minimum giving them body ethereal and luck.

They would be a lot better if most of their mages had at minimum 2 in a single path but as they are now all their mages are roughly 50% worthless 25% communion fodder and 25% useful.

should i focus on bless on my pretender to get buffed hydras or just get a strong body to SC with him?

A terrifying thought just struck me.

Does the death explosion trigger reanimation?

join so we can get a turn in tonight

>hard counter to a meme faction and a meme faction that gets gangraped if it manages to start spreading its popkill dom
this doesn't bode well :'^)
Since cold scale 3 is a given, do water elementals still turn into ice elementals underwater?
Angakoks are 425g slow-to-recruit cap mages. If you're implying lv2 death horde of skelly spam, it seems like a colossal waste.
Isn't the explosion 20 fire damage? If so you could drop minor for some scales, you're already at 25 fire resist.

That is a terrifying thought. Let us know when you find out.

Jihad flag guy here, incorporating it now.

Just have one of your 8 billion fire mages cast fire resistance, my dude. At 25 fire res you already have a sub-1% chance of the explosion even dealing damage, which is about an 11% chance to even deal 1 fire damage to 1 flagellant assuming an AOE of 6 squares all hitting 3 flagellants per square. Seems like a waste of resources unless you wanted deep S anyways. If you want to stop your flagellants from blowing their load from being hit by mage spells I guess that's fair enough, but you really don't need more to stop chain reactions.

Replied to the wrong post, sorry.

Fire resist is nice on hydras but you can give them most everything with your recruitable mages and since they are cap only they probably shouldn't be the focus of your strategy. Whatever you do take make sure you have some depth in your magic paths so you have an endgame. If you feel like taking some blood revelers or other less turmoil creating nature mages can be empowered to shit out satyrs for 1 blood slave that can in turn shit out a maenad or two every turn for the rest of the game though you can make do without the maenads its something you can keep in mind.

You get at most like cold 1 underwater since the sea doesn't really 'do' temperature scales. I'm more implying the water stuff but it's kind of endgame IE Quickening, Wave Warriors, etc.

what is the likeliness something will attack first in combat with the swiftness bless?

Testing death explode/reanimators combo, this look sufficient?

incarnate blesses on a dormant pretender. you tell me how that looks

>those scales
Even if it works, I'd not want it for MP.

Is this just trolling at this point? Why do blesses that you're not using during the first year have to be available day 1? Why has no one ever bitched about S6-S9 pretenders designed to cast master enslave or wish because the pretender isn't awake to use those paths on day 1, but dormant/imprisoned incarnate blesses are automatically shit on?

dormant incarnate blesses do not necessarily need to be shit on BUT

S6+ pretender builds not specifically designed for twist fate and MR were, in fact, shit.

are you trolling us with your 5 dom

also nice blood 1. there are no good blesses there no sir. you wanna test something just do it and dont take a year

I agree, tried to get scales into a better light and sacrificed some fire resist because I THINK (hope) what I have left is enough to prevent a chain reaction. If so I think I'll go test this in SP.

>I think I'll go test this in SP.
go ahead.

Nothing wrong with a pelagia wish engine or a master enslave with 11 magic pen.

Is it really better to sacrifice the fire version than the earth version of fire resist?

of course not.

>Why has no one ever bitched about S6-S9 pretenders designed to cast master enslave or wish
We did though, in the first like year or two of Dom4 when people were still using Dom3 strategies as if they were great. After that it was assumed that everyone knew the downside if someone chose to go that route.

man that shit bless ain't even me, but you bet your ass I'd be pissed if someone tried to get me to trash all my scales for an awake B7 pretender when you're not even going to want blood vengeance chaff until big AOE spells come into play

quite often it's cheaper to go from 1-5 in a path than 6-8

>B7
it's b4 or b5

Yeah, but this is a path that the chassis doesn't natively have.

.you're retards, gn

>mindlessly going with discount hothead when the chad war god is standing right next to him
now you have +1 dominion/+1 scales
and gamechanging barbarian freespawn once he wakes up
Earth is 10, fire minor is 5. He'll be fine at 20 resist but probably not at 15.

domspread is 50% + 5% per level on your pretender now, not 10% per level

even then it can be cheaper, it just means it has a 40 point surcharge and is 1 point more expensive at base
generally speaking on anything up to 40 point path cost adding a new path isn't prohibitive. It's only once you hit 60 and 80 that it's never worth it.

it's why demilich and immortal pretenders quite often make better rainbows than 10 point cost humans, the last few points of dominion quite often cost more than the 10 point higher cost for new paths

Blood bond and blood surge do not provide the same function that blood vengeance provides.

>He'll be fine at 20 resist but probably not at 15.
It's fine if they take a little damage though, just as long as they don't set off a chain reaction.

I tested Explosion + Reanimation with EA Xib but it was inconclusive. Reanimation doesn't get listed in the battle log and while a good number of soulless did appear I couldn't tell if they resulted from the explosions or attacks.

He was right, if he was actually going from 1-5 with the Chad of War and not 0-5. Earth resist becomes 8 points cheaper than minor fire.
But this is all moot because you tards are ignoring that earth was twice as strong to begin with.

Almost every time someone has this problem they need to update their drivers.

>domspread is 50% + 5% per level on your pretender now, not 10% per level
how many sacreds can you recruit with 5 dom. Can you count them on your hand. try something for 5 minutes before posting about it for 20

>spend 7 points for +5% fire resis
OR
>spend 0 points for +10% fire/10% shock

fucktons if you're going for flagellants as marignon
1 temple = 5 flagellant recruitment site

It's flat negation, not percentage.

Got thinking: Might Reanimator be a decent bless for ponyman thugging? Reduce taken attack density by making chaff around you as you kill.

Creative.
How exactly does reanimator function? Raise the same thing you just killed, just with an undead tag? I assumed it'd always be a generic soulless or something.

There appears to be a pool of random soulless that the reanimated gets drawn from. For example I got lizard soulless on the field even though neither side had any lizards.

What are some other good blesses that go good with Blood Bond+ Regenerate on Blood Fountain for Jotunheim? I use the bless to protect my backline and to keep my frontline extra thick.

Reinvigorate seems alright but Jotunheim doesn't really care for Earth magic. I might just go with magic scales, it makes casting easier and makes hag research viable.

You're a funny guy, Lemuria, a real jokester.

It's finally over. I won FinalDestination, my final game of dom4.

What battle enchantments are in that picture?

It's not great for this, though it can help.

It shines with thunderstrike spam.

Reanim procs on spells?

Graphs.

AAR: I was ermor. I was not removed.
This game started before my first PBEM win. Now I have 3.

Heat From Hell, Storm, Wrathful Skies, Howl, Relief, Ravenous Swarm, Light of the North Star, and I forget the last one. I forgot to put gems on my Rigor Mortis and Darkness casters, but the tarts didn't much care.

Last one was solar brilliance so darkness wouldn't have mattered. GG.

You think I would be posting on this Peruvian maize growers association if I hadnt tried every other available option?
I even tried rolling back the drivers and running a fresh install

That's a lot of lightning.

Someone rush this memelord asap

t. Montka Lemuria

>tfw my cousin unironically greets the family in weeb
>tfw I speak better Japanese than her