/nig/ - Nioh General

tried to parry with 2kat
>What does each element do?
nioh.wiki.fextralife.com/Status Effects

>What should I do with the armor/weapons I don't want/use?
Check if you can donate any at the hidden teahouse for daily/clan rewards. Otherwise preferably disassemble them. You can also sell them to Tome or donate to Danjo at the Teahouse if you need a bit of extra glory or cash. Later on you'll be keeping them for Soul Matching, but don't worry about that until you get to NG+.

>The blacksmith is expensive, should I be using it?
You don't need to. Throughout WotSamurai and WotStrong you will constantly be finding better gear and builds don't matter so much. Soul Matching is expensive and intended for late game. If you do find a weapon you really like, try reforging it's effects using spirit iron, it's the cheapest and easiest way to improve a weapon.

>Why do people keep mentioning "smithing texts"?
Bosses tend to drop pieces of their armor and weapons when you defeat them. Very rarely they will drop a smithing text which allows you to forge their armor/weapon.

>Which clan should I join? (clan unlocked through progression)
Whichever one has a bonus that you think will benefit your build the most.

Beginner's guide:
pastebin.com/PkSN7nYt
FAQ:
pastebin.com/VEHby7kd

Smithing text list:
docs.google.com/document/d/1dCPVlyB7avz7yJPzST4_JBSsCTLPaZFm97QwDzTiiu8/edit#
Farming smithing texts: pastebin.com/tiYzLRug

Unique helmet list:
imgur.com/vr1oLWu

Bruh 2kat parry > 1kat parry

>tfw Sasuke will never put his gunstick in your anus

Man I love these rooms.

Do non-ninja/onmyo attack items scale off of anything?

>/nig/
You did this on purpose didnt you

haven't had one in like +100 floors

Which 2kat should I make into an Izanagi? I don't want to make a Master Swordsman or Mid Heaven build.

Holy shit how the fuck am I supposed to do this?

you seem to be equipping 1kat, figure it out

Lol nvm just one-shot Sasaki with Iai and fucked the bird up 1vs1.

When looking to get summoned in Way of the Demon, so I have to actually have beaten a mission before I can be summoned to it?

Yes.

Not true, you just need to have it unlocked.

You can select the "play as visitor" option on a mission unless you have actually beaten the mission.

Yeah but if you get summoned as a visitor through the torii gate you can get summoned to anything as long as you have it unlocked.

I was getting summoned to WotN missions trying to get summoned to WotW missions just because I had the first 3 regions of WotN unlocked.

Oh shit, actually got it first try. No thanks to you guys

I hate Tengu

fuck you thank me

Just one shot them with your LW

are graces better than normal set bonuses? im confused

I don't have a LW build, I'm too much of a pleb

do dual swords have a good LW? I want to do a Date Masamune build. His armor set seems like it has decent bonuses, too, or am I mistaken and they suck

Do you just keep rolling for that stat? Are there any limits to it? Like my sword needs to be a certain level before it can get Change to Strength AA-?

You got that the wrong way around, bro.

I used an umbracite which gives you the standard A+ one. You can keep rolling manually for that AAA, but I don't know if its limited to a certain upgrade level.

LW cuts off most of the good 2kat skills. All you really have is random slice, and the default quick/strong attacks aren't great.

I hate respeccing in this game. Why not have an item for stat reset and one for skills, this really grinds my gears

So uh how do you chain tempest into Iai strike?

How do so many people have so many issues with Tengu? I want everyone right now to take a moment, get to the nearest Tengu, and start dodging it's attacks and going round it without hitting back. Take a moment to actually appreciate how huge the windows between it's attacks really are. Then start doing dodge attacks on it.

You have to change weapons back and forth into the 1kat quickly, it cancels the sheathing animation and lets you start charging Iai faster.

Because skill points are tied to your stats.

Not sure where to put my points into now. Do I pump spirit and full LW cheese with spear/sword

Heart points barely seem to increase my sword's damage anymore so I'm hesitant about those.

It depends what you want to do and what you plan to do. You could still get 10 more points in Dexterity to hit the Jutsu Equip cap, more Skill would increase your Ki Pulse stat a lot, or you could do Strength for less Ki Pulse and more weight since you like carrying things, both would give good damage.

doesn't really matter, you'll be respecking in a few hundred levels.
Put them wherever you feel best.

Should I invest in this 1kat? It’s got the grace I’m after, it’s a tachi and it’s got star Iai skill, but isn’t Bizen-den Tachi sort of lower down the chain? Or does that hardly matter in the long run?

relatively newbie here, how do I get more onmyo/jutsu points?? they seem to only come from the ponytails and also rarely at random

Its not an LW build m8

Level magic for Onmyo, Dexterity for Ninjutsu

Bit obvious really. Level Dexterity and Magic, the stats associated with the two. You can see what leveling each stat actually gives you on the level up screen.

fellas get jealous when they seem my 250 points in spirit

y'all cant do this shit with your iai builds

>want to use hotarumaru for my main sword
>Only one revenant has carried it so far
>pretty terrible effects
This is where the grind starts, isn't it?

That's one of the low tier sword, but it has the grace and the skill so I'd say keep it until you eventually get into forging/get something that's miles better.

I have a question. Does the + level of the thing you defile depend on the floor? Like I have up to floor 20 unlocked since I'm in wise.

If I defile something, go beat floor 20, would it only get up to +20?

I've done eyes on wont and relized there wasn't anything new and fun since dlc on ng. Everything after that was just same rehashed bullshit.
I don't even know what am I doing anymore. I haven't even cooped once.

Why doesn't William become a demon from all the amrita munching?

LW builds honestly look annoying. Popping like 15 buffs and everything seems annoying. They don't just run in and fight.

because he's the hollow man

that's the point
the build isn't for fighting, it's for grinding

How much heart do I want if I am not use 1kat? I use 2kat and spear. I assume I want enough for Ki since 2kat is a spammy weapon.

As much as you want for more Ki. 2kat scales with Heart as well as one of it's stats, but the first soft cap for Ki is at 15 Heart, so you would benefit from getting it to at least that.

Or right after tempest initiate iai, move slightly, initiate iai again. This will cancel your sheathing animation just like changing weapons.

Does Nue Mask have a smithing text? I'm fucking triggered because I'm a lightning build and I can't find this thing anywhere listed.
please say yes

Why does no one summon for the abyss? I need cracked cups you fuckers, let me in.

Once I get the smithing text for Gunsticks I’ll get to summoning. Will post when this fucker finally drops it.

I just got to Way of the Demon and replaced all my current stuff with all the +10/11 shit I've been finding and I'm still only doing a little more damage and as far as defense goes it feels like the +10 armor over my old +2/3 stuff isn't even making a difference at all. I try to fight the level 300 revenants around to get some better gear but I do like 200 damage a hit to them and they do over 2000 to me and when they eventually die they just end up dropping base 150 shit or maybe 170. Is WotD the point where I actually have to come up with a build but given I'm only like level 180 it's hard to really come up with a decent build?

Yeah, WotD is where you have to put some thought into equipment and stats I believe.

Thanks, m8, guess I'll co-op some WotD for stress relief after some of the bullshit it threw at me.

Tell me you’re on PS4

yes
but I honestly couldn't tell you if nue drops it, I've only got it from abyss hanzo

How's this? Found it recently and these seem to be the best stats Reforge wants to give me right now. Just on WotD so I can get away with being sub-optimal.

>gave him 11 dung balls
>doesn't talk to me anymore

what the fuck was his problem?

he's a depiction of the average 1kat user

Come back when you have more.
You need like 25-30 overall

Dodge attacks are actually pretty handy in general, too.

Tengu are very easy to land elemental effects on. Confuse them and go to town. The one thing I hate is that they seem to be immune to weaken melee weapons despite very obviously using a melee weapon. If I can weaken Hino Enmas shoes and dwellers rocks I should be able to weaken the tengus staff.

Am I still a scrub if I use 1kat but don't use Iai?

Dodge attacks are amazing. One of my favourite things about the game's combat is how fast and fluid dodge attacks feel so you can chain them into your offense to plug gaps and avoid attacks while going back into a combo string, and the jump back in on the backstep attacks is so great and satisfying. Beating a dead horse I know, but it's a far cry from the dodge, sprint and backstep attacks from Souls, they feel much more awkward and pointless in almost all cases.

Which helmets go well with the Gallantry chest? I've just been using Warrior Monk's Hood but there has to be something else.

It upsets me that you cant chain skills from a dodge attack.

Like if you dodge or dash attack while in mid stance you can't follow up with a kick.

The balance is fucked just about everywhere, so we are all scrubs now. If you use wooden weapons and no Sloth then you'll be a bit more pressed to learn and take advantage of the Ki combat system while not being forced to ignore 99% of abilities to keep things feeling fair so you can use more fun stuff like Guardian Spirit talismans etc. Lucky for you, 1kat gets it's wooden sword at the beginning.

I prefer the dashing attacks in Souls, honestly. In Nioh I only ever use them to break yokai horns.

>Which helmets go well with the Gallantry chest?
The Gallantry helmet?

The easiest and most consistent method I've found is to tap range weapon aim immediately after tempest. That instantly sheathes your weapon, then Iai.

But dodge attacks go right into both quick and strong attack strings anyway, so you can simply do dodge attack, quick attack, kick. It's a bit of a shame that dash attacks aren't the same way, but they're still really effective openers with their speed and range, and you can Ki Pulse or dodge out of them to follow up with whatever.
Dashing attacks in Souls are almost all much slower and weaker than normal attacks, there never feels like any time you would actually want to use them over the standard attacks because the windup is just too much.

So I need to know if Equipment Lightness Damage Bonus on ranged applies to melee, and if it's worth stacking with something like Agility on Spirit?

Keep in mind you can't have both agility and equip lightness on the same weapon.

Are the "fight two bosses at once" missions meant to be the next thing you do after the credits? Because I've tried all three and was not anywhere close to being able to beat them.

The DLC regions would be easier, yeah. Maybe do an NG+ mission or two to get gear.

Yea that's why I was wondering if I could get Agility from somewhere else and maybe drop 5 piece Sarutobi, but I have no clue how much damage each does, or whether this stacks with Sarutobi. Wiki is shit.

2 Boss challenge fights are tuned harder than main missions in the next difficulty level up.

I have no idea about Sarutobi, but I know the weapon mod is about a 7% damage increase at max.

Kinda semi-afraid here.
Horrible sounds from the other side and that cyclops on the right.

So I know some skills / spells will trigger weaken weapon / armor effects on your melee weapons (Flying Sword Talisman and the Flame Dragon do this, possibly more), but does anything do the same for the similar effects on ranged weapons? The odds for lower stat on ranged attack feel too low for how limited your ranged attacks actually are unless you are cosplaying magoichi or have an unlimited arrow bow. But I figure for how long I have been hanging out in this general I would have heard about it by now if there were other skills/spells that triggered the effect.

I never used those attacks in Souls - I just never saw a point or need. I didn’t even know they were a thing in Nioh but after getting some passive buff on dodge/run attack effects I’ve started using them a lot.

Twisting spear - forward dodge attack - ki pulse in high stance for the free extra hit - final blow does quite a number on humans.

Well, that turned out to be nothing.

Can you have an equipment weight damage bonus and a change to attack (stat) bonus on the same sword?

I haven't tested it but maybe thrown weapons like kunai would trigger it, since Pierce Guard (Ranged Weapon) affects them too. There's a lot of sources of ammo though.

Is it possible to reroll CTA any higher than A+?

Yes, but you may as well take Familiarity instead of Equip Weight Bonus since those don't stack and Familiarity is 15% damage in all situations.

Pierce guard ranged weapon works with Kunai?

Maybe I just need to blow a weekend trying a bunch of shit out. Find out what can trigger what, test seemingly dumb combos like using Shockwave Talismans with that Tonfa Mystic Art that lets you Ki Pulse mid attack animation, and other dumb stuff like that.

You cancel Tonfa Gun into Kannagi
This weapon is absolutely mental, why did I listen to the memes who said they were garbage?

>Twisting spear - forward dodge attack
Spear dodging (dashing? I keep seeing dash used alternatively for either evade or sprinting) poke attack is amazing, but most other weapon evade attacks aren't in that tier. Running attacks are so-so depending on the weapon, some weapons have jumping high running attacks which can hit horns.

Souls is the same, some running or dodging attacks are amazing and others aren't very useful depending on the weapon.

I don't know what everybody else's excuse is for not using Tonfas.

I've been using "dashing attack" to mean running attack, since that's what the Souls games call them. I actually forgot how Nioh refers to them.

The fact that they're all useless if you don't have gunsticks or a rare set with tonfa gun from the abyss.

Evasion attacks. Dash attacks by Nioh's terminology are attacks done while sprinting.

so the actual improvement is the nullify?
>Slightly disappointed

Yep, both kunai and shurikens, probably anything else like stones and bombs too I assume. Also that would work with Shockwave Talismans, it triggers off of any Ki Pulse, including Dodge Pulses and Spear Stance Change. Shockwave talismans are actually really underrated and fun to use.
The game uses dash to refer to sprinting. Since there's two different types of dodges, personally I was just using dodge to refer to both at once, but they should probably be called step and roll or something. Some dash attacks are better than others but they're all much better than you give them credit for and are all much more usable in many more situations. Each weapon has three of them too.

fuck me

Was it worth killing Hanjo 1600+ times?