/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Adventurer Veeky Forumsness Edition

Previous thread PLEASE NOTE: Dwarf Fortress has just received an update. If you play the newest version (44.02), be prepared for plentiful bugs and crashes. Do not complain about your bugs and crashes here, report them here: bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.44.02.
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (updated for 44.02):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=168411.0
github.com/Dwarf-Therapist/Dwarf-Therapist/releases

>DFHack (Out of date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Legends Viewer:
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11455
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154617.0

>Starter Pack (Alpha released for 44.02):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Color_scheme#CowThing.27s_color_schemes
youtube.com/watch?v=2epi6xRFKFE
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=168313.msg7635225#msg7635225
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Some migrants have arrived.
They are all master cheesemakers.

>tfw in a large clusterfuck of a world full of different races warring with each other the dwarves come out on top and have the most prosperous and well-populated civs

People who complain about wanting multithreading are silly. I want larger pops on bigger maps engaging in larger battles, personally.

your map probably has no iron. you can get a hefty amount from caravans or starting war with humans. tell your liason to bring stuff that's usually made of iron and steel and melt the shit. anvils in particular are straightforward.

I'm an accomplished fish dissector.

I just want the game to not shit itself with 'usual' load. I understand that it's okay to lag if you have 16k visitors, but why does it have to lag on a 100+ dorf fort?

Because pathfinding is fucking shit

>create new world
>start playing fortress mode
>carefully select site with river, metals, flux, no aquifer, in range of other races, etc.
>upon embark, notice pic related

Guess what's inside /dfg/

Let me guess

A werebeast

nope, worse than that

Dragon.

winrar

It seems to be content just hanging out on the edge of the map for the time being. I've tunneled into the mountain and ordered some cage traps built at the entrance of my fort in case the beast decides to come after my dwarves.

oh god I didn't get everything inside quick enough

fuuuuuuuuuuuck

>melted
Heh

Jesus, it's gonna burn my whole map off.

The brook didn't stop it ;_;

Losing is fun.

Post current surface, current state of embark and dragon's description.

Trees are now "collapsing on the surface".

I was expecting a nice comfy embark in calm surroundings where I could leisurely make a fortress and just check out some of the new features at my own pace but instead I got a fire breathing dragon, melted dwarves and livestock, and a smoldering hellscape of a map on the surface.

It's simple.

Kill the dragon.

Why do people die to goblin sieges so much? Just like wall of the exist and live solely from the shit you scavenge underground and feast on the flesh from forgotten beasts

>walling off the fort
Lame.

Rains finally came and put out the fire, I'd estimate that about 85% of the surface was burned off. The dragon has gone back to his hill and is just sitting there, his description isn't all that interesting, just a muscular male dragon 250 years of age.

The current state of the fort isn't good, it's only been about a month and a half since I embarked, I'd barely managed to carve out a few rooms and move most of the supplies inside before the dragon started melting people.

The dragon melted the only starting dwarf that had any sort of military skill. I have no armor, no shields, and only 1 copper axe and 2 copper picks left in the way of weapons.

Alright, I've drafted the remaining dwarves into the military and will be making a desperate charge up the hill towards the dragon. Wish me luck /dfg/.

help why is my guy stuck here??

Stock up on food and drinks first, make some shields.

Never run up to a dragon without a shield.

They don't know how to protect themselves. If you don't have at least 50 soldiers by the winter of year 2, you deserve whatever happens to you.

Gas all tileset users, no mercy.

fuck that last reply, post your color set my man

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Color_scheme#CowThing.27s_color_schemes

It's the darker one

>197749979 (You)

youtube.com/watch?v=2epi6xRFKFE

Should have been "From Rock to Cock"

I managed to one-hit a dragon by cleaving its head off in Adventure mode, I have never been so proud in this game before.

Then again, it was the Bronze Dragon of Lies, he might not be dead...

what should I do?

But doing shit above ground is super gay. What kind of dwarf are you even?
A true dorf player would immediately burrow underground and never even look at the surface Z level ever again

>walling off the fort=building aboveground
Ok, you're baiting, I see.

>arguing with elves about worthlessness of nature
>they all just agree that I'm by far the most persuasive

who here /enlightened/?

*tips pig tail cap*

Why is this Hydra just standing at the edge of the map...I want to own it...come into my cage trap hallway...

so to make simple bedrooms i make a 2*2 space and put a bed and a cabinet and a door to the entrance

but when i select bedroom size by hovering over the bed with 'q' i can't make the bedroom a 2*2 space only a 1*1 or 3*3

Hit f or some shit to switch to flood.

Caught the hydra, wasn't that tough.

one of my fav youtubers, bastard knows his science

On an unrelated thing, how do I eliminate boulders so I can have farm plots outside? Im limiting myself to agriculture fort

Just make it as big as you can, the walls are your limit. You do have walls around your bedrooms, right?
Build a floor over them and deconstruct it.

Use smoothing designation on them

is menaging jobs for 50 dwarves vanilla autistic or should i use dwarf therapist?
i might add that i have to fix 90% of the jobs becouse i had to create a leather industry due to my tanner having a strange mood

It's not very painful if you aren't planning on doing it too often.
50 dwarves is still below the cutoff for needing the rapist not to go insane.

Dwarf Therapist is shit honestly. The manager in DFhack is better in every way.

update when lmao

>i had to create a leather industry due to my tanner having a strange mood

So.. making a butcher's shop, tannery, and leatherworker's shop and then enabling those 3 labors on a few dwarves screwed up 90% of the job permissions on 50 dwarves?

bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=168313.msg7635225#msg7635225
>This upcoming Canada trip and other circumstances have eaten up more time than expected, so it'll be a few weeks, unfortunately, but I'll dive in as soon as I can!
D-does that mean a few weeks before he even starts bugfixing

Contrarian opinion.

Yes, these conferences are a huge distraction for him. Hopefully he gets tired of them and settles back into hermithood.

When you start getting over 50 dwarfs you can just set skill requirements on certain workshops and also set a low level workshop Profile to do all unskilled labor (say Create Blocks) to get raw materials and exp and the migrants start to fill in the misc roles. When you have few dwarfs it might be a good idea to make sure to have a designated brewer / miner / mason and be sure that's all they do in case of an emergency, and probably a jack-of-all-trades dwarf that has everything enabled.
Personally what I like to do is every new migrant I disable all roles except Farming (Fields), Plant Gathering, and Hauling, then enable a new role that's probably not filled (say Glassmaking), nickname them (Glassmaker) until I get at least one dwarf in every role (Farming skills are just so if they can't do their craft they have at least something they can probably do without much oversight), then I start specializing workshops with Profiles and skill requirements and let new migrants (that aren't drafted into the militia) do whatever they please.
Also, if you have a Manager you can just go to the (j)Jobs list and see who's not working and assign them to something you need.
If you try to min/max everything you're going to have a bad time without Dwarf Therapist.

Not him, but
>having to alt-tab out of the game
>bright color scheme
>unreadable sideways text
There's plenty of legitimate reasons to dislike the rapist, so that opinion isn't legitimately contrarian.
Anyway, there's no real reason to use it unless you've got more than 100 dwarves. Installing it to make minor adjustments to 50 dwarves is just overkill.

Damn that sucks. I really don't get the point of these talks, it seems like he just explains to a bunch of indie devs how DF's mechanics are implemented. Can't they just fuckin read about DF on their own?

>legitimately contrarian
neccesarily contrarian*
Don't know where that brainslip came from.

It has objectively (many) more features and those criticisms are more like nitpicks. Not going to police what people use, hell I've gone vanilla for 300 pop forts plenty of times, but saying the DFHack manager is better than the rapist is pure contrarianism and nothing more.

>This upcoming Canada trip and other circumstances have eaten up more time than expected, so it'll be a few weeks, unfortunately, but I'll dive in as soon as I can!
hey, he's gonna fix morale and balance bad thoughts, sweet

He's going to make the game even easier.

Thanks Eternal Leaf!

Dwarf Therapist doesn't have anything like the DFhack automatic labor assigner does it?

If you bothered to read the first lines of the link, you'd see he is gonna make the game harder, not easier, dude

no, he's going to make it where dwarves can have bad moods and shit again, tantrum spirals are going to make a return

That user wasn't talking about autolabor, he was talking about manipulator, a GUI similar to the rapist but actually in-game.

>those criticisms are more like nitpicks
Well, I've only used DT for a few minutes before these things killed it for me, so my understanding of the program is rather shallow.
All I'm saying is both tools have their uses, and considering one of them better for your purposes isn't at all contrarian.

autolabor is iterally allI need

upate wen

Maybe to you those aren't important, but to me having to switch windows is annoying as fuck and its appearance is jarring. It's almost as if different people have different preferences and it's not "contrarian" to like something you don't like...
>letting an algorithm play the game for you
wew lad

>manually assigning labors to 300 dwarves

Meph is the hero we need.

DFhack fags on suicide watch.

That never happens, you assign labors when migrants arrive and that's usually less than 20 dwarves. Sometimes it's helpful to be able to see who has what jobs at what skills at once, which is why therapist and manipulator are useful. But there's no need to let a program decide what labors to assign who.

How is Dwarf The Rapist even properly used?

There is no guide to using it.

why would they even make one for 44.01?

For all the people that use it.

Version number autism, which is honestly admirable.

I'm pretty sure literally the only difference between 44.02 and 44.01 is that Toady fixed a worldgen crash

Maybe some people want to play with that Feature still in the game. Stop being gender unsupportive.

What the FUCK do I do with all this refuse? I could fill like 3 z-levels with this shit, I've never seen this much before.

magma

alright

I'm in a haunted biome too

>Jeweler is all fucked up in the hospital
>his feet are mangled
>can't stand
>taken by a fey mood
>he starts crawling to a workshop
fug

Are you fucking stupid or something? You need a baby program and can't even figure out how to use it? Jesus.

Goblins = Americans
Elves = Muslims
Kobolds = Mexicans
Demons = Jews
Humans = Slavs
Dwarves = Whites

Humans are degenerate multiculturalists m80.

yes

what is your point

I already did Amerimutts

I've never seen a goblin with great hanging sacks of fat.

Nobody has fat in DF because it's a war torn world where everyone is hungry.

Trained this cave toad from the goblins and it just popped out some babbies (guess it must've been pregnant when it arrived because it's the only gct i have). I have a feeling the mama is going to be hostile if I release her, but what about the kids? Will they be chill?

Is it metagaming to slaughter all the babie in the fort.

80% of my fort is babies

dont let them out, just keep training them till their tamed and youve mastered training giant toads.
Semi-wild has a good chance to become wild again, it can happen when theyre in a cage but if theyre in a cage its fine. If theyre outside the cage and they go wild, well expect a frog fight

Help, I just found adamantine on my fort. It wasn't that deep, how much can I dig before embarking on the clown car?

My solution was to kill all of the hetero dwarfs.

GAY FORTRESS

You can probably dig that entire layer right there.

You need to go deeper for the tunnel to open.

There's no universal level, it could be super high, super deep, or anywhere inbetween.