youtube.com/watch?v=8rNJp4p6qXI
ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/40/crimson-recon
ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/40/objectification
ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/40/the-legend-of-the-bikini-armor
ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/40/128-coins
ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/40/hyper-looter-shooter
ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/40/elf-fortress
ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/40/tosser
blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2012/10/08/windows-xp-targeting-with-c-in-visual-studio-2012/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I am trying to learn compute shaders with some basic numerical methods

I have to restart Unity, sometimes serveral times, to get newly added chain elements to move. Programming close-ish to metal is weird and scary

Reminder that a monad is just a monoid on the category of endofunctors

What do you get from a monad on the category of endofunctors?

Reminder that the only thing more pure than Haskell is a loli.

GODOT ENGINE IS ONLINE

!!!!!!!!!!

First boss is almost done, just need to do a ton of tweaks.
name isn't final

>name
heheh

>name isn't final
youtube.com/watch?v=8rNJp4p6qXI

Reminder to review your control theory

Split screen is now working

who the hell is going to use this feature in this furry game

I'm probably late to the party but how much did one google doodle rustle 2 devs.

>there are devs and artists still using flash in 2018

MOVE ON

how much color is too much

>split screen fucking
>action

googum uses Windows XP still. (I found out since he couldn't get Sim Loli to run since I didn't compile it with Win XP compatability mode enabled) He isn't going to move on. He's stuck in 2003 newgrounds era.

is unity for ubuntu good enough?

it should run so long as you compile win32

Anyone from agdg participating in the Ludum Dare? Show us your game user.

This one is mine. The name is a bit dull but that's because we had no sleep whatsoever
ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/40/crimson-recon

In VS 2012 or whatever I used back then you had to specifically configure it for Win XP via some flag or something that was off by default. I don't know about later versions.

can't you just use a VM with normal OS on xp?

how do you code a rectangle that is solid?

I hope I won't forget anybody, but here goes

ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/40/objectification
ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/40/the-legend-of-the-bikini-armor
ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/40/128-coins
ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/40/hyper-looter-shooter
ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/40/elf-fortress
ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/40/tosser

Those are /agdg/ devs
Should have made a proper list, I'll keep track better next time

blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2012/10/08/windows-xp-targeting-with-c-in-visual-studio-2012/

return solidify(rectangle)

Hey felluhs
Ive never been to one of these threads before but i have recently gotten the urge to make a game.
Im about halfway thru a degree in computer science and c++ is my favorite language by far but i do know python as well.
The type of game i want to make is -brace yourselves- a 2d platformer. i know its been done to hell and back but i still think i should try.
Where should i start? id be developing on windows so visual studio???
any advise you could give would be greatly appreciated. if i get anywhere with it i might even get my art buddy to do the art and help write it

WORK ON ART NOW!

STOP PROGRAMMING

But I pay people to do that for me

to be honest I was thinking of just setting the position x and y to a place where both rectangles stop touching, like you do when hitting the screen walls.

Is there a trick to the tractor beam? Sometimes I can't activate it.

decide if you want to get an engine or waste time making it. if you didn't make a retarded choice read the op for a list of recommended engines

Thanks for that! I will make sure to play them. Which one is yours?

The beam has a small start up time but should be able to activate at any time as long as you hold right mouse button. When did this happen?

finally got the "flinching" working to add a little impact to your shots

I think I figured out what caused this feeling. The beam can only be activated when you're still and even if you hold right mouse button and stop moving, you still have to reclick the right mouse button so the beam starts.

Is that observation right? Would feel better if you could activate it while moving, especially considering you can move around with the beam active.

>Thanks for that! I will make sure to play them. Which one is yours?
The first one

I originally wanted to test how the meshed-together-photoshop-images style pans out, but the fact that all photographs have to be taken during the Ludum Dare kinda bit me in the butt.

But art is the only thing I do

"Ahhhh! A monster!"

"Ahhh! Dismembered levitating hands!"

kek

Where is the bokube progress bokudev?

He stopped working on it. He makes mobile games now.

The google doodles superior bokube has killed him off.

"hey buddy you're uh. You're getting a little too close. C'mon, stop it."

Well that's not what supposed to happen! it should activate at any time, even while moving and shooting. Strange, this hasn't happened in any other playtests yet.
Does this happen after respawning or when you boot the game as well?

quick post your game

It happens after restarting the game and respawning

Delete this
Delete yourself

>Spend lots of time and effort on game
>Excited to show friends
>Friends don't like it

I didn't think it would hurt this bad.

>make bad game
>people dont like it
what do agdg

It's really simple
>make good game

fuck you, dumb shit.

make another game
repeat

learn from it and make a better game next time.

>make bad post
>people like it
what do agdg

make another post
repeat

Is this enough to convert an int (player level) into a 2D enemy array?

int i = 0;
int x = 0;
int y = 0;

do
{
i++;
y++;
x++;
if (x > 3)
{
x = 0;
}

} while (i

sure

fuck modulo

Has anybody released something for the new Xbox one indie section?

how does /agdg/ do their 2d animation? The OP just suggests engines

>op isnt felix the cat
>tfw no feedback felix

Frame by frame

>he uses traditional animation techniques
lol fucking pleb

lets post our games on /b/ to try to get fans!! ill post rotate and boku first

Hello AGDG , I have been working in my project for a month I wanted to share some progress.

>real outdoors
>50,000 copies sold

gogem, howcome whenever anyone asks for help on /agdg/ people just shit all over them? You're like the only poster I know that actually contributes anything.

fuck off furfag.

That's one hot bod. I'd fuck him

not just a hail

a double hail

What's the best way in Game Maker to animate a bunch of sprites together in a way that makes them move bouncily a la (kill me for this example) Undertale's enemy animations?

>inb4 someone tells me to just decompile undertale and check myself

I assume it would have 2D bones, and a powerful animation tool to animate the sprites easily. At least, Godot has that, so GMS should too.

you should call it gunshield

As neat as that is, I think it would end up being annoying trying to position the shield and the gun separately.

It does, I forgot about it because I haven't used it. Seems like it could be a little too hefty for what I'm trying to accomplish but I'll check it.

How do you settle on and commit to a game idea? Is it even possible to finish a game?

Don't ask for help here. people here will just shit on you

Do you need me to touch you somewhere user?

To be honest that the hardest part of gamedev.
One thing you can do is try and make several prototypes, spend a week or two on each, treat it like a jam game. After you've made a few prototypes choose the one that feels the most fun to play and/or was the most enjoyable to work on. Then you can start refining that game into a full game.

neat! the environment looks a lot better than the characters though. I hope you updated the animations and plan on fixing the ugly char models.

0:06
wow, it's amazing how much progress autism and a fetish can make.

The problem with prototypes is that, usually a game consists of like 10-20% core engine work that's actually fun, and then 80% content, polish, boring UI work and so on.

So working on a prototype doesn't necessarily reflect what completing the game would be like.

you got my attention
link?

Correct. But you're going to have to do that in literally every game. So you might as well do it with a game you know you want to finish.

I can't even do the bones idea anyway since I only have Standard Edition ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fuck you. You're the cancer of amateur game dev

But I hate working on art. Someone save me.

If I complete a game with placeholder art, will it be easy to get artists to work on it with me? Has someone tried this before? Did you buy the art, or rev share?

I feel this way lately too. Just been getting much more enjoyment when I get mechanics working instead.

If someone wanted to replicate, say, the Pokemon camera style, does anyone know what kind of projection that is and what kind of angles I need to be using?

The most important thing is to show that you've put real effort into whatever you're working on and aren't going to flake. I built a prototype with all rectangle boxes and recruited a whole team with it and a design document.

lol
lol I just made him have his arms up to showcase the climbing, because I have to do the animations yet.
That would be a cool name but I don´t think that name would suit the general theme that I plan for this game
Yeah, I think I will put various control types and adjust the movement to make it smoother

You could use separate sprites and use multiple draw calls in an object to place them wherever you want. An object doesn't need a default sprite, and isn't limited to drawing itself. There are lots other of ways to achieve what you want to do.

Which pokemon game?

That's why I've stopped recommending Gamemaker, it's been going downhill for a while.
You could just animate each sprite's position and rotation to make it do what you want.

Which one? I think they generally head-on, 45 degrees down. (0, 0.125f, 0).

What are some tips on making an isometric platformer?

Play some gba isometric platformers then consider reconsidering.