Veeky Forums book club hype thread!

Ever want to have a thread on Veeky Forums where everyone has read at least one book on the subject of discussion?

Come join our discord and read with us!

discord.gg/uTCtr

>How does it work?
We're going to select one book to read about once every 3 weeks via strawpoll. We'll have discussion both in a thread here and on the discord. I encourage thoughtful responses, but any degree of feedback is great.
>Do I need to buy the books?
No, major shoutout to my boy Scrublord on the Discord who has collected OVER 2400 BOOKS on history, military and politics and uploaded them into a mega. He's currently in the process of organizing them. Tomorrow we should have over 200 choices for our first book, so please come be a part of that process!
>I have a .pdf of a book. Can I upload it to the discord so it can be considered to be read?
Yes, please do! I also encourage posting any interesting media to the discord, news articles, movies, videos, and any user-made content. Just don't be abusive to others, keep it safe for work, and global rule 3 is in effect.
>How do I use discord? Do I need a mic to join the seekrit club?
You don't need a mic to join, we're just making a discord so we can have less anonymous discussion, post longer text posts, and share files. The easiest way to use discord is via the client, which can be downloaded at discord.gg. If you don't have an OS compatible with the client, it can be used in browser.
>I have input about how this book club should be run!
Please give it to me, I have no idea what I'm doing and I'd love feedback.
>Am I going to become Veeky Forums's next obnoxious tripfag?
No, I'm just doing this in these threads for identification purposes. I already forgot to drop this trip posting somewhere else once and felt like a retard.

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/BszTFxH
golibgen.io/view.php?id=759284
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bump

Expired.

Sounds fun senpai

discord.gg/BszTFxH Here's a perm link.

bump

When does the first straw poll come out?

Well I'm still throwing the mega together, so probably within the next 2-3 days I'd say

Tomorrow. I'll post another thread with the poll and then collect results over the following 48 or so hours. In the meantime I'm just raising awareness.

Oh no, pay more attention to

Good idea. I'm joining

bump for exposure

Sounds cool, hope it doesn't get invaded by shitters.

I think we'll be alright, there's not much they could really do in the grand scheme of things.

Depends if you are chill? Or are you the /pol/-friendly Veeky Forums

I'm in.

Don't worry, it should be a safe space. I think we should start off by reading Guns, Germs, and Steel to start off with a clear perspective.

I think it would be ok to read some books related to politics (eg. Leviathan, Social Contract).
Some books are bound to be political in regards to history. I'd like to read up on stuff that's not often talked about like The Congo war. But i don't think it should be high on the priory list.
>Guns, Germs, and Steel
I agree. I haven't read the book, but despite the memes i think it would be a good choice.

Dude I was memeing, Jared Diamond is a biologist playing historian/sociologist trying to force reality to conform to his preconceived narrative.

The Great Game by Peter Hopkirk tells the story of the cold war between imperial Russian and Britannia during the 1800s as they discovered and fought over central Asia. Really intriguing stories about the spies, battles, intrigue, and misconceptions both sides had that they used to justify bleeding out over 70 years on landlocked territory that had been previously unknown to them the century before.

Can we suggest books? I just finished reading Cheese and the Worms by Carlo Ginzburg and not only is it supremely interesting, but it's also short and sweet so even reading like 10 pages a day you could finish it in like 2 weeks. It's the story of a 16th century Italian miller being investigated by the Inquisition I won't spoil anything but he's a real character he would fit in well here.

General update, the strawpoll will probably come out sometime this evening.

I welcome pretty much anyone with any type of perspective. Veeky Forums is a pretty intellectually diverse place, and I'm going to make sure as best as I can that views that people want to be represented will get represented.

lmao

These both sound like really interesting reads! Post about them on the discord and they could potentially make it on the strawpoll!
Invite link: discord.gg/BszTFxH

good books on architecture, urban stuff, or cities?

>mfw I have that book on my Christmas list
Another good Central Asia centered book is Trespassers on the Roof of the World. It covers the expeditions and travelers trying to get into Tibet.

I made a thread on this a few months ago. I would love to have a discussion of it with more people.

Also

Here's a link to an epub of it:
golibgen.io/view.php?id=759284

I like this I'm joining