incompetech.com/music
fantasymusica.org

> How to Webm
obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

How do I get good at 3D modeling?

GODOT ENGINE IS ONLINE

>tfw losing all motivation once I have to start making assets

I wont use Godot until there is a fully modeled, rigged, and animated Godot-chan with accompanying Lagann style Godot faced mecha.

Designing a good input system that supports multiple devices that can respond to the active device being disconnected by pausing the game is suffering.

Finish the game with test shit then get an artist and sound guy to come help you.

I was thinking of a way to warn the player that enemies in a dungeon will be using a lot of a certain status ailment.

The more traditional way would be to just have NPCs in a nearby town tell you but I had another idea.

Let's say at the entrance you see a treasure chest in a really obvious area along the necessary path.
You open it and it contains an antidote.

Do you think that would clue in the player that poison is going to be an obstacle in the dungeon or would they think nothing of it.

What would go through your head if you saw that?

>stop coding the game because I want assets
>can't make them, start grinding
>fast forward a month of grind
>got much better at art overall (not exactly a feat since I was shit)
>still can't make any assets
That's what I get for making mechas. They're grade A bullshit.

I think a lot of rpgs do that, but I don't have any examples right now. I think pokemon does it. But yeah it's a good idea.

I think Status/Element themed dungeons are boring, it means the difficulty is trivial once you get the proper gear, and RPGs already get trivial once you have enough levels anyway.

The reality is your game will suffer if you design it for multiple devices. A game's controls can either be perfectly designed for one input method, or they can be 'passable' and work for keyboard+mouse, controllers, and/or touchscreen.

PC should be the master race because it can do anything, but PC gamers are brainlet pseuds that will get butthurt if you make a PC game built around playing with a controller.

I think it's best to use environmental cues. For example, a dungeon with lots of poisonous enemies should probably contain nasty looking vegetation, bubbling and steaming pools of slime, etc.

I know plenty sprinkle necessary items throughout the dungeon, which is good as it rewards exploration and all that, but I was wondering if it works as a warning at the beginning.

UW
Progress : Flanking behavior

Trained units will try to flank enemy units when conditions are met. It works, but I need to make it simplified in both front and back-end.

for your info, this game heavily depends on AI so player doesn't get detailed control over units.

I'm talking about at the engine level, not designing controls. I don't care if one input method is strictly superior than another as long as the game plays similarly, that's just tough luck for people who don't have it.

Good point, but prep is all part of the RPG experience anyway.

The dungeon I'm designing isn't necessarily poisoned themed, it just has two enemies that can cause the ailment and I don't want the player to get blindsided without being too obvious.

Maybe an adventurer in town that came from the dungeon and is now sick? Just don't make it too obvious, have the player put the pieces together by asking a few people about the adventurer. Could even lead to a side quest where you have to retrieve something the adventurer left behind in the dungeon.

Can I get a floorcasting tutorial that doesn't suck cock?

I am suprised it didn't happen sooner

I like how he acted initially when flanked, but he should have pulled back further when he realized he was fucked on both sides, don't you think?

Or you could just let the player be surprised but build in an unlockable shortcut that means they don't have to backtrack too much to get out and properly prepare. That will teach players through a small punishment to be prepared for anything in the future and reward prepared players since they can just keep pressing on.

If you're going to go down the route where you give the players just enough rope to hang themselves, just be careful to avoid situations where a player can save in the middle of a dungeon that outclasses them and then have trouble making it back out. Again, a shortcut can mitigate this.

These are good ideas. I think I can use these + the antidote hint.
Thanks.

Even while flanked, he still gets portion of cover defense bonus for the attacks coming from the enemy on the left. So moving out of cover to pull back maybe fatal.

The logic behind it is,
he(flanked unit) looks for valid covers, but if the cost of getting there is too great(such as distance, being in the open, etc) he will stay and fight for the slight chance of defeating the flanker.

I will continue to brainstorm to make this simpler(and hopefully not more complex), and please tell me if you hit any light bulb.

I really like shortcuts in dungeons. They can allow for experienced players to formulate their own strategies for clearing them out. For instance, if you have that adventurer side quest and the item is found not too far into the poisonous area, a player who already knows this can skip buying antidotes beforehand, grab the item, exit the dungeon with the shortcut to finish the quest, and then they can get some antidotes and resume the dungeon with the quest reward in hand (which could be quite nice if it's a weapon or something).

So space is the normal interact key in PC games. What is the normal back out of things key?

Esc brings up the menu so not that.

>So space is the normal interact key in PC games.
Eh, not really, it's typically E or F and Space is used to jump.

>What is the normal back out of things key?
I would just let the player walk away from whatever they are interacting with to cancel interaction.

clicking outside the bound of the current context menu, or pressing escape.

Also for art, Style-wise,
Left or right? and why?

>So space is the normal interact key in PC games

>So space is the normal interact key in PC games
bethesda pls go

Enter is interact, backspace is back out

not moe enough

left left left
right is too generic anime-like.

I for interact
B for back

>enter is interact in a game where WASD is movement

wtf

I'm trying to make a short classic style fps with an emphasis on lore Ala Metroid Prime but with both melee and firearms.

Best engine?

Rght but with left face

Unity or Unreal

take your pic

lumberyard

polycode

reposting progress

Godot

Doom engine

gamemaker

Can you give an example of what happens when you interact with something? I can't think of any time where you'd interact with something and then need a separate button to stop interacting

this but unironically

Melee on a doom engine game sounds shitty

You take a seat at a table and can then choose a person to talk to at the table. You can also choose to get up from the table. (back out button)

binaries when?

>it's for a mixel, post-prixel 2.5dixel memexil game

That's looking good user. I like it.
I think the screws on the legs are revered. It looks like the cross part is sticking out, so it's not possible to put a screwdriver in there.
Also I think the rounded parts should have smooth shading, like the barrel, boosters, and the blue light looking things.

>I think the screws on the legs are revered. It looks like the cross part is sticking out, so it's not possible to put a screwdriver in there.
what

user wants to screw your mech but they can't find the hole

The white circle with the cross on the legs look like big screws.

Game idea: game descents into madness over time as game developer suffers from increasingly stronger getting psychosis

they're not actual screw holes they are just for show like the X on the gas can

This is a different style
Left or right? and why?
As a reminder, in my game, your fav army girls die and there's nothing you can do about it.

wana get sued by squenix???

the x on a gas can is the universal symbol for "don't drink"

My game is actually about psychosis.

Fighting game but you are the coach of one fighter and the fights are basically AI vs AI beat'em'ups. Optionally the fighers are cute anime girls which lose parts of their clothes when getting damaged.

Right side is much better.
The other girls new face looks weird. But this once looks nice.

What is the correct way to distribute your first big game /agdg/?
a) put it for free on itch.io and steam, send it to reviewers and be present on social media so you will have an audience when you do your second game.
b) put it on steam for dirt cheap so more people will reach it and you can build yourself a name a little, but also make a little bit of money with your first project.
c) put it on steam for a regular price and hope the press kits will reach someone and sell more than 2 copies of your game.
D I S C U S S

Right

>Optionally
dropped

you bet!

Did you ever suffer from it first hand? I don't think you really understand how it feels like unless you had it yourself.

i want to get kicked in the windpipe by the one on the right

Where is GMOTA guy, you need to show him how wrong he is

d) market the game beforehand by building a following based around consistant quality, and then release it on steam for a moderate price

Yes, actually. I wouldn't dare touch that kind of subject if I didn't have first hand experience.

Don't undersell your game if it's actually worth buying.

do whatever gives you more money in the long run

d) don't post this picture

Make a few smaller games for free on itch only. Tweet regularly to gain a following
Then make a larger game and release it for $5-$10 on itch and Steam. Again keep tweeting so people remember you.

Kickstart it.

Adwords is actually doing something!

Saved

Stop reading my mind

>any developer

How spaghetti is your code?

>pig flies away
why does it even have any physics?

Well I've been working on this game for a month if anyone wants to test it out and give me feedback I'd appreciate it.

www.wizardz.io

Why did you pay a programmer when the code is still shit?

i give up

Sweet. Less competition.

imposter

steam/gog/itch.io, ask for the price you deem fair. Darkest Dungeons costs 25USD full price. I would have released it for 15, but they know the value. If you check on steamspy, they sold over 1M by now, only on steam.

Also, try finding a publisher if it's a properly done game.

>www.wizardz.io
Just played a game. Didn't read the rules beforehand so was at a bit of a disadvantage but I won anyways, it was fun! Good job.

>particle emitters automatically turning on after 2 updates
what the fuck godot

To add to this, should I start a dev blog/twitter for my game if it's my first big project and probably won't garner much attention?

okay. it was the visibility notifier. it has an option to control particle emitters that is set to true by default

Start a developer one as soon as possible, before you even start on your first big project to be honest.