/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

February edition
Previous thread
PLEASE NOTE: Dwarf Fortress has just received an update. If you play the newest version (44.XX), be prepared for plentiful bugs and crashes. Do not complain about your bugs and crashes here, report them here: bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.44.XX.
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Updated for 44.02):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0
github.com/Dwarf-Therapist/Dwarf-Therapist/releases

>DFHack (Out of date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Legends Viewer:
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11455
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154617.0

>Starter Pack (Out of date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1jv58ne2ZtwWZSfJS-0KK6NF7Fg-iWf6HL-gww-6ngcM/edit?usp=drivesdk
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases/tag/0.44.02-alpha1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for plump hemlet

Second for CLA

>opaque ground tiles

honestly I tried a bunch of different tilesets, but eventually I had to go back to CLA. it's so CRISP

Has anyone actually played with Fantastic Races and if so how was it?

Sixth for finally catching up on the backlog of threads from 4 days of not checking. Really makes me consider how much time I sink into /dfg/,

CLA is just the creature graphics, though, isn't it? I'm pretty sure the ground tiles are just part of a preexisting set CLA used to complement them. in any case, opaque ground tiles is always a dealbreaker for me

>tilesets

I've generated a world to test a new mod I'm working on - walked up north looking for a Nosferatu that stole an artifact - made a stop at an Ogre town.

I'm not sure what exactly is going on in this town, but most of its non-Ogre population is completely naked. I'd attribute it to the "naked gangsters" bug, but the criminals are fully clothed and geared up, meanwhile the non-ogre peasants and other workers, like this night elf chick, are 100% in the nude - at most they have books.

From a story standpoint, I'd guess its a harem town in the late stage of decadency. Aside from elf slaves which are fairly normal in this type of setting, they certainly pander to more exotic tastes - spider-people, wolverine-people, blue space goats, even squid-like beings that normally serve eldritch deities; they got it all.

it's mostly small changes, ground tiles, different types of objects, some creatures. It's basically just prettier than the default

>t. retarded newfag who tries to larp as an elitist, without even knowing what a tileset is
pls kys and stay kys

Nah, the vector set is basically just prettier, the cla critters are cleverer, but I'm not really into the tileset though the one it was based on is from the user with rthe huge single layer geometrical-and-color-coded-as-fuck forts.

I've tried it some. It's pretty cool and some of the races he's made up are really unique, but if I'm being honest, I just like having that mod user show up with the dog picture when people talk about him. It's cute.

nothing wrong with tilesets, you moron. try some ascii ones.

I use ASCII normally but if I was going to use a tileset, I’d go with CLA.
I think it’s a nice ascii-like tileset for newcomers to the game, if the standard graphics are too intimidating.
I hate graphic packs with little sprites of dwarfs and furniture, I think it’s tacky.

I wanted to try and get used to vanilla, but the neon colours on a black background fucks with my epilepsy, especially when there's a lot of activity on screen. the softer colour palette is easier on my brain

Gave the elf chick some stolen shit from a warehouse, wanted to read the scroll she was holding. Nothing special desu, just something about an elf who was an apprentice under her. I guess atleast she's happy she got something else other than ogre cock, for once.

Are there any unused ASCII symbols in the game?

I recommend “Lee’s color scheme” off of the wiki for the standard ascii. It takes the edge off of a lot of the eye-bleeding colors and you don’t end up with olive-green browns.
But if the flashing is the problem I think you’re out of luck

what font do you use?

A handful, I used a few of them for the key symbols and whatnot in my KSBD modset which I'll have to try to get working properly once some more of the bugfixes are done.

thanks for the recommendation! I'll be sure to check it out. I'm almost certain that it's the black background, I haven't had problems with any other tileset.

it's a shame, I wanted to able to flex that much harder on my gamer friends

the squad needs to be set to active (well doesn't NEED to but it greatly helps), they can't be allowed to train at anything other than an archery target, and the targets zones cant overlap

I'd like to know how you play the game without having a tileset.

I love how humans are at peace with everyone, even the gobbos. I imagine DF humans as being neutral and not really giving a fuck about values as long as they can grow and make money.

Same way you try to, but with less newfaggotry.

Nothing wrong with tilesets, though ASCII has its own pleasant look too it, when using something other than the default color scheme.

But you literally need a tileset for the game to run.
Otherwise you'll just have a blank screen.
Wait..
No. No it's not possible. Are there people who play dwarf fortress essentially blind?!

Literally everyone uses a tileset. You just use the tileset that comes with the game.

Tileset is a weird word, it's meaning changes depending on the general, for example, in /rlg/ when someone mentions tilesets they usually refer to graphical tilesets, but here people use it to refer to both ASCII and graphical tilesets, I guess that would be the correct meaning too.

>not playing through speech-to-text
It’s like you don’t appreciate how Toady intended it to be played

Go be a smart ass on reddit

I have a pretty decent surplus of dogs in my fortress, so I wanted to bolster my military with wardogs. How long do they take to train? Can I assign multiple dogs to a single dwarf?

>not playing in braille mode
weak

play the game and figure it out yourself m8

You don't have to be so sour about being wrong, Urist.

You can assign them with v-p-e, after they're done training - to do that you need a designated zone with animal training enabled. Doesn't take too long.

thanks, I was wondering why all my dogs were just hanging out in the tavern

dfhack update when

dunno I just converted them into +dog meat roasts+ in time

>want craftsnigger to decorate tables and chairs
>link stockpile with tables and chairs to workshop
>link refuse stockpile to workshop
>craftsnigger cancels decorate with bone: needs improvable item

I've started playing Dwarf Fortress and I am awestruck. I am convinced that this video game is one of the Great accomplishments of humanity. This game is as technically impressive as some Classic literature or other artistic creations of the human race. The depth of this game is unfathomable. You could get lost playing this for a year and never leave your house. The creators of this game achieved self actualization. Why did I not play this game before? I'm going to club everyone who knew this gospel and chose not to spread the word.

Ah, turns out most of them are mounted by Elves but for some reason the Elves just hadn't been detected yet.

Thar varmits be migratin' Righ'on through the settlement!

See OP pic.

doggos

they're birds

My military keeps becoming wrestlers instead of things like swordsdwarfs even though I manually assign them weapons and they are holding them in their inventory when they train, am i doing something wrong?

Sorry for asking google has been no help

IIRC they train whatever skills they feel like training at a moment, not neccessarily their main weapon skill.

They just happen to have a higher skill in wrestling at the moment because they train all sorts of different skills, not just their weapon. Eventually they'll better with their weapons.

Thanks! I was really afraid they would start punching the zombies that are outside right now.

Hey, loli anime harem guy from like a week ago, are you around? Your autism inspired my autism and I wrote your posts into a story (some artistic liberties taken). Please forgive me.

docs.google.com/document/d/1jv58ne2ZtwWZSfJS-0KK6NF7Fg-iWf6HL-gww-6ngcM/edit?usp=drivesdk

Are you the futa necromancer guy

beak dogs
no1. reason why I don't travel to goblin towers.
fps < 1

kys

kys

>someone posts a screenshot of a game with an utterly godawful looking tileset
>someone complains about tilesets
>pedants show up to make semantic arguments about tilesets
why does this always happen

>board gets quiet
>someone starts fishing for (you)s

Because this thread is full of autists

>australians wake up
>shitposting on the general intensifies

not knowing that ASCII tilesets are still tilesets is one of the biggest newfag givaways.

now I have nothing against newfags, but I think they should know their place, and not act like tryhard cunts.

I don't think it's as good a litmus test as you think. I know several people who have been following this game since 2d and still use the word tileset in the more classic way that you seem to be allergic to.

BOYS AND GIRLS MEWERY CHRISTMAS!

github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases/tag/0.44.02-alpha1

DAY OF RAGE FOR JURESALEM TWO SCOOOPS!!

DRUMPF!!!!!!!!

HOLY SHIT

>someone posts a screenshot of how they play a single-player games purposefully made highly modifiable
>autists complain that they aren't playing it vanilla

lmao have fun screaming at your screen everythime it crashes

well it is really annoying when they have a weird tileset where you have no way of knowing what's what and they expect you to respond to a question or whatever

meanwhile the really terrible looking ones, like the one in this thread, bait ridicule and that's absolutely the way it should be

>be adventurer
>sneak into kobold cave
>steal artifact slab with magical knowledge
>attempt to escape
>trap fires arrow, dodge on reflex
>fall into a long pit
>both arms get mangled
>cannot climb out
>stuck in here, forever

I never asked for this, holy shit.

Wow, unexpected
I would hope everyone who downloads it knows what they're getting themselves into and is cautious

How retarded do you have to be to actually scream at your screen, get a grip user

Wasn't there a movie that was like this

if you dislike a tileset, it's enough to say that you dislike that particular tileset.

there's no need to make a fool out of yourself by just vaguely saying that you hate "tilesets"

Probably more than a few. In my adventurer's case its probably even worse, since she's fully immortal, due to getting some spell knowledge earlier - cannot die of starvation, dehydration, suffocation or old age. Even the kobs cannot reach her in here.

>wuss gobing ong?
>eeben doe user gabe me comtext aboud wuss habbenink, I camnod feebure eet oudd

If you're too dumb to realize that people mean custom tilesets when they use the word tileset, there's no helping you.

If you can retire without killing yourself you should make another adventurer with the goal of killing her.

NEEDS ROCK NUTS
NEEDS 10 UNDISTURBED THREAD
NEEDS ROCK NUTS
NEEDS ROCK NUTS
NEEDS ROCK NUTS
NEEDS ROCK NUTS
NEEDS ROCK NUTS
NEEDS ROCK NUTS
NEEDS ROCK NUTS
NEEDS ROCK NUTS

I probably will, since due to being in a civilized site I can retire without killing her.

Cool, remember to make it dramatic, having a conversation about death and life before killing her, or something like that.

What race should I play

o -> x

that tileset
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

you deserve a spider on your face for that

pick a HUMAN WRESTLER CHOKKE HOLD ALL ENEMIES

that honestly looks like a graphics glitch more than a tileset

What are you lads even talking about? Looks like ASCII just with a different color scheme.

give em that snail man dick

Alright. What weapon do I use?

It's terminal mode

I dug out catacombs underneath my main church, what are the negatives of dumping dead bodies out of their coffins to relocate them from the shitty temporary catacombs?

Spear and wrestle.

you'll end up with very undwarfy catacombs

Some dwarves are on the breaking point because there's a literal mountain of refuse in the kitchen from butchering animals nonstop for 4 years.
Will they get mad if I disturb the dead

why arent you dumping the refuse

So the brother of my Taskmaster Manat Face Lady showed up at my fort. He's a mathematician apparently, and right now they're both praying in the chapel. What a cute family.

I literally have no where to store a literal mountain of literal individual pieces of literal hundreds of literal animals.
I'm waiting on my architect to get off his ass and build the magma lake disposal thing.

m8 just dump them somewhere, you dont need to make a stockpile

I should mention, he's not part of my fort. Just a visitor that showed up.

I literally have no where underground to put them, the miners are too god damn slow and I have them digging out the more important shit first, I can't go above ground because there's a dragon.
I was going to put a refuse stockpile on a drawbridge above the magma lake.