/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Rip Spider Edition

Previous thread PLEASE NOTE: Dwarf Fortress has just received an update. If you play the newest version (44.XX), be prepared for plentiful bugs and crashes. Do not complain about your bugs and crashes here, report them here: bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.44.XX.
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Updated for 44.02):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0
github.com/Dwarf-Therapist/Dwarf-Therapist/releases

>DFHack (Out of date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Legends Viewer:
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11455
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154617.0

>Starter Pack (Out of date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_8spIF4zr2o
youtube.com/watch?v=vkj7i9RNlhg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

good thread op, but thumbnail looks kind of like a penis

What the fuck did it DO.

> OP in charge of picking an image with a thumbnail that looks least like an exposed penis flopping over an arm

make a poor choice of action before getting caught by a cave in dust cloud.

BEYOND QUALITY!

foxtail harpers

Somebody QUICK! post interesting Raid history!

>not having dual wielding berserker squad of homosexuals of eithher genders

>Somebody QUICK! post interesting Raid history!

>Some random soldier doesn't consider himself a part of a squad, so he won't join them on a mission
>Squad stuck outside waiting for him

How do I get more crossbow bolts if I can't find any more crossbow bolts as an adventurer. I know you can retire and come back and they will sometimes have bolts but it is sporadic.

human weapon shops might sell crossbow ammo. open air market places also.
dwarf fortress trading depots on the top level building

short of that, you'll be forced to scavenge for them in the dungeons or catacombs below keeps, or in treasure rooms of mead halls or the keeps themselves.

or if you want to be very risky, steal them from crossbow dwarves by wrestling for their quiver. be sure to start sneaking first and have high wrestling skill, though.

>short of that, you'll be forced to scavenge for them in the dungeons or catacombs below keeps, or in treasure rooms of mead halls or the keeps themselves.

This is pretty much my only option. Do they respawn over time or is there a limited amount of bolts in the world and that's it?

youtube.com/watch?v=_8spIF4zr2o

youtube.com/watch?v=vkj7i9RNlhg

>Do they respawn over time or is there a limited amount of bolts in the world and that's it?
It's not quite known since the "economy" is heavilly abstracted at the moment. There might be some deep unknown mechanics that dictate "There are X metalsmiths in this town, so any market will have % weapons, adjusted to a ratio..." blah blah blah magical hypothetical bullshit.

There is one other option, which is to find a human town that has a "Warehouse" in it some place. Basically, this structure contains a HUGE majority of the usually abstract items the town holds. Every tile has like 10+ items and these can be 10x10+

of course because it's a human town, all the structures look the same. you'll basically have to check every door methodically to find one, if one exists.

The music is kinda loud.

>if one exists.
additionally, there is the obvious minimum size requirement of the town... you won't find one in a hamlet.

also, you can walk along in the local map abstraction scale (travel mode) rather than the normal tile-based world. it should say in the window just what exactly all the adjacent buildings are, including "Warehouse"

Yeah, later videos won't have music as I want to see if that helps with watch time. I'm sorry about that.

Anyone else has DF crash repeatedly in 44.2?

Seems like something is wrong with this particular game, always crashes within the same year on this save.

Is there something that seems to trigger the crash, or does it happen at random?
If you're not using the newest DFhack, it might be worth it to submit a bug report.

I have had zero crashes.

All I can say is that it happens within the same year. Possibly within the same season, but I'm not sure, I'm warm climate and don't pay attention to calendar.

Doesn't seem to be the same date or the same job.

Oh this is cute. Nobles will request artifacts on behalf of their buddies instead of just for themselves.

Ok thanks. Its a moot point now because the ol' "retire and reload the character and he'll have a ton of ammo now" trick worked this time.

Oh fuck, I've got the infinite siege bug, does anyone know a fix to it? Playing the last version btw.

you shhohuld be happy. as last version ad NO FUCKING sieges compared to 3 years ago.

Seriously last version was fucking boring and easy

Well, sieges haven't been changed from the last version, in which they were working properly anyway. Seems like you've memed yourself into confusion

If you didn't know that a new version came out and someone made you play the new version without telling you that it's a new version, would you be able to figure it out yourself and how long would it take you? Without just looking at the version label in the main menu, of course.

probably when I asked about any troubles and someone mentioned missing treasure, so it depends on when that quest shows up.

Pretty quickly, as soon as I saw pedestals or museums probably. Or maybe when I was buried under visitors in the first season.

If I'd fail to notice the new buildings, I wouldn't find out until the autumn, with the liaison's new message.

You must be bad at dwarf. I had some of my biggest sieges in the last version. Try embarking near goblin locations and get a high population

Fuck yo hydra.

What aspects of the Bay 12 and Plebbit DF communities do you loathe the most, anons?

The people who post about them in /dfg/.

only the things that occasionally carry over here, like "fug elv :DDD". lately there's also been more "DF is hard" and "le FUN" meming, but I guess that can be attributed to the post-update influx of newfags

100 elves.

OK, crash remains consistent. Where is the right place to submit bug reports?

Doing god's work

Its in the OP - mantis bugtracker.

Excellent.

>fey mood takes adamantium to forge
>get excited
>makes a fucking cabinet
On the bright side, that just increased my fort value by an absurd amount

>artifact furniture
>bad
let me guess, you're one of the fags who complain about every artifact that isn't a weapon?

Nah. I'm more upset that he used scarce adamantine to make it instead of literally anything else

it makes the furniture piece more special, so I wouldn't mind

Not him but yes

>Meph
>Last Active: Today at 11:44:02 am
>mfw

I think the never-ending stream of projectile vomiting visitors crowding my tavern would clue me in rather quickly.

OBSESSED

Adamantine is always used if you have it. I prefer to leave the candy alone until I have a handful of dedicated admin dwarves (brewer. cook, grower etc.) for the fort's basic needs, then I enlist everyone that isn't in a profession that I want using adamantine for artifacts. Dwarves in active military duty besides recruits will never go into a strange mood. It's helpful to know if you're a big control freak like me.

At what z-levels are caverns typically located? What about the z-level range for magma?

I looked over the wiki but couldn't find a specific range

You'll have more fun if you work out things like this for yourself. It's trivial to set up a huge staircase deep into the earth for your miners to dig I'll help you anyway, though. Don't read ahead if you want to experience the joy of discovery.

In my experience: there are up to three cavern layers, and a magma sea below. Magma chutes can be found above the magma sea, but the probability reduces as z-levels increase. The sea tends to start somewhere below 0z (it goes into negatives). If you really, really need to know, dfhack has a 'reveal' feature that reveals every single tile. Without dfhack, you can also use an exploit - in the build menu, select a dirt road of maximum possible dimensions and then try building it below-ground. Just keep pressing >. The designation will be red everywhere that rock is, but green in open space. This way you can determine the location of the caverns.

Deep. It'll vary by world, too, within a small degree.

Thanks. I think I'll try the reveal command on my fort. I'm not one to typically savescum and wiki everything and generally spoil myself when playing games, especially games I like or consider to be good. But I can't even get a forge up and running in DF right now so I'm willing to compromise on my ethics.

Once I get the hang of it on a cheat embark I'll play for realsies.

Anyone else getting blank responses when giving performances in adventurer mode? I used to get a bunch of people calling me boring in .43 but in the latest version I'm getting rows and rows of stuff like "Chubby ranger: / Slit-eyes farmer: / Long-nose bone doctor: ".

I love being able to walk into a room and just mumble incoherent nonsense loudly at nobody by fucking up at poems, so it's quite discouraging that nobody reacts anymore. Unless it's to indicate them staring blankly, in which case I'm cool with that.

sounds like a bug. you might want to check the bugtracker

Yeah, its a known bug. Don't really know what caused it - probably identity stuff.

I remember reading the exploits of an adventurer in /dfg/ who had modded their game so that the hearts of forgotten beasts, megabeasts and whatnot provided stat boosts when "eaten".

Does anyone know how you'd go about modding that into the game?

Maybe you could give them stat-boosting edible secretions?

Probably changed the default heart template, and used a different one for every other non-megabeast creature - only way I can see that working, considering otherwise you wouldn't be able to edit forgotten beasts.

I'd start by looking at the interactions examples folder. The stat increases seem simple enough, but I'm not sure how you'd designate the heart of a creature group.

You'd actually just add a syndrome to the heart itself that provides a stat boost - no interactions required.

Does anyone here play the Warcraft mod and know if in Adventure mode when you read from any tome does it have the same effect as a necromancer and making it so you can't train further stats?

The spell knowledge in that doesn't freeze stats in either direction - you can lose stats but also gain them still.

Sweet, do you know if they stack or not?

Yeah they do. If you get lucky enough you may survive to get a bunch of them - nearly unkillable at that point outside of stuff thats magic/fire immune, or unless your spell rolls fail. Or you just get sniped by something.

Added a reaction class and reactions that made plant items with no growth times/etc which gave the relevant buffs when eaten/combined.

If you have a Bay 12 account you may want to message the mod author himself regarding questions, considering they'd probably respond faster and/or know more than anons on here. If they hang out on any of the discords (I know, eww discord - comes in handy sometimes though) you may be able to directly ask them questions there as well.

He already made a big apology post about how he was depressed (as in, family were worried he was dead because he had withdrawn so far inward) and stuff. He isn't sure if he'll start modding DF again and was surprised there wasn't more outrage/cancelled patreon donations (which he claims to have not touched)

Unless there's more than one warcraft mod, the author is lurking this thread.

Possible, I recall seeing some stuff from it on the last few threads.

this is ironic right

Loli got her foot bitten off by a giant bear. Gotta go to the elves to get her healed. (read: use dfhack)

lick feet

for you, user

Thank you very much.

Is it possible to view a "thoughts and preferences" screen during adventure mode? DFhack acceptable.

Fuck, I can totally think of how to go about pulling it up with dfhack but don't have a script atm and I'm kinda busy but it is a good idea, though by default adventurers have no preferences.

>This is a finely crafted image of the kobold Kudu Gulgigdus in bronze. On the item is an image of the kobold Kudu Gulgigdus in bronze. On the item is an image of a wolf man in bronze. The wolf man is embracing Kudu. Kudu is laughing.

Wait, try typing viewunit in the console.

Oh, this is odd. I have to keep healunit'ing her every time we stop traveling. She won't stay healed!

Superior plump helmet man race warring aganist dwarves and being capable of molding black bronze alloy for weapons when?

Says it's not recognized.

the cooldown timer seems completely random, it went from like 70 to 100 back to 70

What's a rip spider? Sounds scary.

rip means death and spider means spider, therefore it is referring to a primal spider of elemental death

It's a spider that that attentionwhores with an off topic OP pic. Pretty awful.

>IT'S UNETHICAL
holy shit bay12 is retarded
but what else is new

Good stuff

Who's Meph?

No one you need to worry about.

Anyone been testing what makes an adventurer start out with a need for worship? It doesn't seem to show during character creation. I created an almost identical character on two duplicate saves, one of which had an extra need for "staying occupied". He started with a worship need, but the other character did not.

Toady's brother. He's responsible for programming sieges and balancing food production. He also personally created about 90% of the mods available for DF.

When you're selecting your starting location the deity you worship and the strength of your faith is included in the little blurb. It randomizes with your starting location.

that doesn't sound accurate

It's not, tis bait

Oh, of course. I noticed the deity itself but somehow I must have completely overlooked the strength of faith. I was too focused on replicating the exact deity and got tunnel vision. Thanks.

I saw somewhere that it's possible to increase your zeal, so I'll run the irreligious character for a while and try to find a temple to worship at.