How do I learn to code?

How do I start? I know nothing.

Other urls found in this thread:

www3.nd.edu/~jspeaks/courses/2007-8/20229/_HANDOUTS/quantum-mechanics.pdf
switchup.org/research/best-coding-bootcamps
youtube.com/watch?v=nwjAHQERL08&list=PLGLfVvz_LVvTn3cK5e6LjhgGiSeVlIRwt&index=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Pick a language and just look the stuff up. You can find a ton of resources online or in books. If you really can't on your own, find something like a coding boot camp.

You should definitely start by reading all of "The Art of Computer Programming" by Donald Knuth. You will thank me later.

fuck learning to code.
learn to help coders raise money from vc's in exchange for equity.

Don't listen to this motherfucker, do what the first poster said. Then when you start getting better and improving, then you could google what this guy said and try to dive in on it.

Learn the process first and then the syntax.

I heard just starting with C++ is difficult and I should learn a different language first. Thoughts?

How many hours of youtube/reading will it take until I should try it instead of watching? Such as on the website "codewars?"

you start by learning how to copy and paste

If you're in like your 20's, just go staight into C++. Don't be a pussy about learning.

I would do it along with the videos instead of just watching it and coding separately. Even if you think you know it it's better to go along so you understand

you should always try it instead of watching. pick a project, try to make it, google problems along the way.

if you're brand new you could start with javascript and run it in your browser just to learn basics, so you dont need to download any compilers or anything. java or python are what most schools start with. don't be too afraid of c++, once you get pointers its not bad.

I personally think you should buy one or two beans just in case you need some future besides muh codes just in case you know, something more suited for kids and boomers

C++ isn't that hard, but then again I learned mostly Java in school. I know some people who have done well with Python, though they use it for engineering systems versus actual coding. Most languages are pretty similar though.

As for when you should do it versus how long you should watch/read, the answer is you should do it from the start. Most sources that include books and youtube videos will have you follow along and do the thing they're talking about. It's like learning any language, you want to practice it as you learn it... Think of it like learning the language of math in many ways, they'll explain the idea of multiplication and then show you how 2*2 = 4 and why, then they will ask you to do 2*3 and see if you get the right answer. It's that simple.

I found the website "codewars." Do you guys having any other websites that you go to to practice coding?

I don't know that site, and I don't have anything to really recommend in terms of sites.

Though really you'll start off with really basic stuff, you know like how to use a compiler, how to define variables, how to do "hello world", and all the basic operations that are the same across languages like an "if/else" statement or a for loop.

Then as you learn you'll know what questions to google in terms of what you're interested in, and that will be the best way of finding places to learn. Coding is a huge pool, so it's not like one place will be perfect for you, you'll just have to find what you want to know after you learn the fundamentals.

Fuck you. My advice is sound.

Decide on a thing you want to do (preferably that sounds not that hard), then use google to research how to do it. Then do it.

Don't use low level languages like C/C++, don't use meme languages like Haskell, disregard the bad opinions of the people who suggest such things.

These are not learning languages and the people who suggest them as such simply are angry about bad code they have to deal with and want to weed out weak programmers.

Use shit like Python, C# and Javascript.

I would recomemd Java and Python, a good Website i found was Codecademy

I wanted to learn, but I lose interest and always rage quit dealing with tediousness of it all.

C++ is a cunt language

I would strongly recommend that you DO NOT learn to code. I can tell instantly by the way you phrase your question that you ade going to face numerous problems just at the basics (like io control and loops).

HTML5 and CSS3 are entry level easy. I mean that in the extreme.

This isn't 1995 and Jolie isn't going to be breathing down your neck with her juju lips- shits easy and straight forward now.

Go to codecademy.com, do 3 hours a day, 2 weeks later you'll know what you doing enough to not be lost when self directing.

With this attitude, however, you won't amount to much.

Codeacademy
Studio.code.org if you can't understand the basics

html5 and css are actually stupid hard and have nothing to do with actual code
but more to do with layout and user interface and styling.

you are obviously an idiot.

the answer you are looking for is javascript.

read the book 'structure and interpretation of computer programs'

this guy is obviously a fucktard don't listen to him. if you start learning now in a few years you'll be creating websites to coordinate shitcoin pump and dumps and piling in MASSIVE gains

just start to do a project that you think you can handle and solve the puzzle doing it. That way you'll learn the most. Also don't fucking buy books ok. You only need stack overflow and read code regularly in the language you want to learn on github

learning to code is a meme. hire some poos to build to it for you.

Google it you retard.

Lookup Python tutorials or classes. Download Python, install, follow some tutorials. Maybe pay for a basic course on udemy.

If it's too hard for you, you shouldn't be here.

You may have found the tutorial you tried to be too convoluted, which is understandable, but it isn't complex if you go with codecademy or some other fully accommodating site.

GUI code is real code, whether your fedora likes it or not.

Get Learn C++ in 21 days" You'll thank me later ;)

first of all i am a master in reactive material design principles in angular 2 so you are a fool . i never said it was "too hard for me"
only that it is actually much more difficult and irrelevant to learn gui coding than to learn actual
computer coding principles.
go fuck yourself.
and i never asked your uneducated opinion.

if you want to code the net for a personal website or startup or learn javascript.
if you want a job coding old systems
learn java.

sure you are

believe me , if i wasn't , i wouldn't have even known what terminology to use.

i'm currently coding a quantum mechanics simulation for electron superposition

www3.nd.edu/~jspeaks/courses/2007-8/20229/_HANDOUTS/quantum-mechanics.pdf

coding is just boring low level bitch work if you don't
have the advanced understanding of high level math and physics disciplines to allow you to create non trivial , cutting edge, academic level applications.

Congrats on the Google Diploma.

congrats on the ass for a brain

Good lord, no.

I've read them, it's a great and important work -- but that is not a great place for a rank beginner to start. Noooo way.

You can start on your own, as the 2nd post says. Or you can take classes at a college (how I started). But perhaps the best way -- if you're serious -- is one of a number of coding bootcamps that are starting to be available in many locations. See here for a start: switchup.org/research/best-coding-bootcamps

>coding is just boring low level bitch work if you don't
>have the advanced understanding of high level math and physics disciplines to allow you to create non trivial , cutting edge, academic level applications.

Quite a bit of overstatement here.

My last project grossed quite a lot of money (not that I got it all, since I was a hired hand), and none of us needed high level math (more than some statistics knowledge and being able to quantify estimated op and response times) and I have never ever needed physics in any project.

But the actual work you did was trivial. It's OK, breh. Someone has to do the bitch work.

im glad you were sufficiently entertained by your unchallenging yet "high paying" project .

>never ever needed physics in any project.
>and none of us needed high level math

how many pairs of knee pads did you run through ?

1. Download and install python
2. Watch this playlist
youtube.com/watch?v=nwjAHQERL08&list=PLGLfVvz_LVvTn3cK5e6LjhgGiSeVlIRwt&index=1

You'll get there, just don't be a lazy fuck