youtube.com/watch?v=Udp6fZ9vWCI
youtu.be/fZHcW7u_G28
youtube.com/watch?v=gyfKdI6zi9M
youtube.com/watch?v=p611hMnrGKE
docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Camera.ViewportPointToRay.html
boghogdev.tumblr.com/
vigilgame.tumblr.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I was gonna shitpost, but i'll provide you with an actually helpful answer.

Listen to this talk from some of the designers behind the recent LoZ game, and apply the abstract ideas (particularly, that of chemistry) to any and all in-game objects.

youtube.com/watch?v=QyMsF31NdNc

First for progress

How much dialogue can a player read before they get bored?

Exactly one line less than what you wrote.

there is absolutely no finite answer for this

it depends on how motivated they are to read the dialogue, and how engaging the dialogue can be. exposition is always pretty bad, be it in games or stories, but if you have any kind of meaningful dialogue system, you can keep them engaged for a while

Reposting cause posted in dead thread.

Got a bit of a break until my next exam so I could get some gamedev time in. So I've decided to make a sort of SHMUP but with stock images and stuff (I'm going for a Wariowareish vibe). Just implemented controller support and just started prototyping some different kinds of enemies.

I don't want it to just be itting stuff either, I've got a couple of gimmicks that I thought of. Notably I want the player to be able to block stuff, to have creative means of takeing out enemies and also since I decided to make this primarily a controller game I want the player to be able to split the hands and control each separate hand with a different joystick and trigger.

Also, does anyone know of a good webm recording tool for Ubuntu? I'm using Peek right now and it's giving me these awful webms despte setting the fps to 60.

when is the next jam?

You can have 2 minutes of straight dialogue before you need to change the setting or have some action.

as long as your writing is interesting

not very much unless you add a "skip dialogue" key

Really depends on the story to be honest. If it's really good I'll be willing to read more dialogue.
But even with good stories I hate when the first 10-15 minutes of a game is just story with maybe some walking parts. Give me a couple minutes of story and then put me in a simple starting level or something.

>If it's really good I'll be willing to read more dialogue.
what if its tutorial instructions

itch.io/jams

Direct X 10 Revival.When?

how do you find a dev team that isn't full of dickheads
where do you go?

the next aggy daggy hosted jam, to be specific

NEXT JAM IS GODOT JAM WHERE YOU MAKE GAMES ABOUT GODOT ENGINE PREFERABLY IN GODOT ENGINE

itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-18

>you will never be the death grips of video game designers

I guess that means there aren't any scheduled. I appreciate your attempt at being funny, though

After a short 4 month break, I'm gonna start working on my "game" again!

isn't that a good thing? they're trash

t. no taste

That noose looks comfy

aggy jams always kind of sputter from lack of people caring

Okay, little mecha guy, who came to /wotg/ to shill his game, but promply got his message deleted? Show me your stuff!

did the pug's life dev kys already? what has he done since his kickstarted failed?

What a waste of triangles.

he's right though

he's right though

shit taste

It begins, I guess.

y-you all are just n-nodevs...

post music you wish you could use

youtube.com/watch?v=Udp6fZ9vWCI

youtu.be/fZHcW7u_G28

For Unity, is there something like OnMouseOver but not for the mouse but just any object?

Like if I make a target rectangle and move this over a 3d object, I then could do something with this object.

youtube.com/watch?v=gyfKdI6zi9M

still 1.4? do you want it on mobile/html5?

youtube.com/watch?v=p611hMnrGKE

GMS2 not having a Vita export killed my hopes and dreams of being published on a console.

negrulus, how do I make a ghost object that follows your 3D object?

Just develop for Switch instead.
Oh wait...

>tfw even godot has vita
yoyo are probably working on it since more platforms is the only thing they have on roadmap for 2017

>expecting yoyo to do something sensible after introducing subscription model to something as shit as gm:s2 that's pretty much just riding its 00's legacy
jump the boat and switch to a better engine before you decide to spend another 5 years on a pixelshit game while confined to a shit engine

Godot has Switch, too.

Does exporting to consoles, mobile, and stuff on Godot cost extra money like it does on GameMaker Studio 2?

Godot is free.

no thanks, I'd rather not listen to the people who thought it was a good idea to give link a cellphone, a Tony Hawk pro shield, and weapons made of matchsticks

>their design is bad because i don't like it!!!
nice

Events are usually implemented as messages put into a queue to be handled one time by an object or deferred to another object to handle.

Signals are events broadcast to listening objects and do not return anything. Objects connect to another object's signal with a function that runs when the signal is emitted. A signal may be asynchronous if listening objects are running in other threads. In that case, the signal call is put onto that thread's event queue to be handled by the object as soon as it can.

Godot is free and open source. PC and mobile exports are free.
I don't know about consoles though, they aren't allowed to release the console exports for free because of license issues. All I know is PS4 export exists, but I doubt it's as up to date as the other exports.

he's right though

Console experts are free, you just need a console development license to access them.

Show me your game, which must be full of amazing design decisions.

>Signals are events broadcast to listening objects and do not return anything. Objects connect to another object's signal with a function that runs when the signal is emitted.
This is literally exactly how events work in C# and UE4.
I assume they work asynchronously as well, but I've never tried.

google the witcher 3

>implying witcher 3 is better designed that BotW

In C#, how do I detect if an object is under a reticle? There is something called OnMouseOver, but I don't use a mouse in my game.

filling a game with nudity is good game design.

You will have to shoot out a ray from the camera and see what it collides with

why not just use dx9? it's pretty much guaranteed to work on any windows OS that is XP and up. you don't need strange dependencies either and it handles graphics, input, sounds, etc

don't fall for the multi platform meme, people on mac and linux don't play games

How many objects are on the screen? < 50? 2D? Just do

for (Object object : object) {
if (reticule.x >= object.x && reticule.x

>just

that is not a C# issue. C# is the language, what you mean to ask is "in Unity" because collision detection is an engine thing, not a programming language thing.

But the problem is that my game is in 3d perspective, plus the reticle will not be in the centre of the screen.

More than 50 objects. And the game is 3d. Or better said 2.5d (it's a top down shooter in 3d).

I don't think simple collision detection would work there, since the game is in 3d and the reticle not in the camera centre.

It's been a long time since I used Unity but I believe it has functions for converting mouse position into world position, tracing from the cursor etc.

docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Camera.ViewportPointToRay.html

maybe make it a simple pyramid frustum and allow camera to distort it and show it distorted to the player too?

disregard that. i though it was about checking for multiple objects and not just about one raycast

Anyone have a simple formula for measuring the length of time it will take to read a certain number of characters/words?

For continuing dialog automatically. Press X to continue is an option as well.

>tfw everything works but code is all over the place and you're afraid to touch it

>Prints the name of the object camera is directly looking at
Like I said, my reticle would not be in the centre of the screen, so I doubt this would work. My reticle can be moved by the player constantly.

moar unity questions

just test it with time = speed * characters amount except for whitespace, that's the simplest you can get. speed will be different for different languages

then cast it not from the camera center jfc

Thanks captain obvious

oh, my mistake :) good luck on your search

Don't continue dialog automatically unless it's fully voiced, and even then make it a toggle. Nobody wants that shit.

Only make it continue the dialog automatically after the heat death of the universe.

user, did You know there are things called "books"?
They can be over 200 pages long and people read them fully!! woah!!!

the unity splash screen makes my game look very unprofessional

It's cozy skylight time

Visual novels are almost exclusively dialogue

Books aren't video games.

So what?
If people can read books they can read some dialogue

>VNs..

>are NOT

>VIDEOGAMES

A person can enjoy roadtrips but not enjoy their daily commute

There are lots of things people can do which I wouldn't want included in video games.

Stein's Gate is a better video game than anything you will ever make.

Then you're a fucking pleb

>he never played a system VN
How does it feel to be a pleb?

>If people can watch movies then they shouldn't mind 90-minute cutscenes
t. Hideo Kojima

There is nothing wrong with that statement (as long as the cutscene has the quality of a movie)

Didn't Quantum Break bomb?

I'm not sure who is the bigger ruse cruise captain

t. David Cage

----[ Recap ]----
Game: RRShooter
Dev: boghog
Tools: GM:S
Web: boghogdev.tumblr.com/
December: santa hat
Progress:
+ Finished the layout of the first level
+ Done with the first phase of the snake boss
+ 1/3 done with the second half
+ Got a tumblr
- Still no luck with music, hate everything I make

----[ Recap ]----
Game: Vigil
Dev: sgt3v, p1x3lbr41n
Tools: Unity, Aseprite
Web: vigilgame.tumblr.com

December: santa hat

Progress:
+ almost finished hideout scene drawing
- motivation
- will to live

It's a "we broke a feature we didn't think this additional new code should affect" kind of night!