/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Generic edition

Previous thread
PLEASE NOTE: Dwarf Fortress has just received an update. If you play the newest version (44.02), be prepared for plentiful bugs and crashes. Do not complain about your bugs and crashes here, report them here: bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.44.02.
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist:
github.com/Dwarf-Therapist/Dwarf-Therapist/releases

>DFHack (Alpha for 44.02, expect bugs):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Legends Viewer:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154617.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11455

>Starter Pack (Out of date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10340
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

cheetah men claim this thread.

What do I do guys, my game is lady as shit. Is it my hundred dwarves or the large amount of area I've mined out? Pls halp.

>Wait for faggot midgets to haul rocks to stockpile then have to wait for them to dump it on one tile

>one random guy shows up to write a book in my library
>year passes, all kinds of smart people start showing up within a month of each other

>not locking them in your library and dropping dead bodies in there so the miasma inspires them to write sp00py stories
Come on its Halloween.

>my game is lady as shit
Huh

Laggy

I guess I should repost this for the new thread.

thred 4 forts

I wish my forts weren't grids

Both. But unless you want to kill half your population, it's easier to deal with the latter than the former. Wall off unused areas and set traffic designations.

ok, for real now, let's make a contest for op images so this hasn't got to be posted anymore
It has been post as the op to death now

It's just the one I use.

UH
GOBBOS
WE'RE A LITTLE BUSY HERE
COULD YOU WAIT A LITTLE BIT
PLEASE

then stop posting or get new ones, it's tiring

Nah, that's okay.

It's fine. The OP image doesn't matter. Not even one tiny bit.

They're even entering the map from the same place, so my military is fighting goblins and elves at the exact same time, as well as their giant cave toads and war black bears respectively. Unfortunately the goblins and elves aren't really fighting eachother, they're too preoccupied with my guys.

Except when it's a rip spider.

>he uses a quadrangular tileset

Holy fuck

It's only a matter of time before one of those eggheads turns into a pickle.

>he hasn't hacked together a mod to play DF in 3D mode with sounds and virtual reality support

Thank god there's a little bit of infighting happening because my military has started to get fucking rekt and needs to retreat ASAP.

I'm pretty sure it's related to this: bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10340

can we get a mod for this

Really not the best time bro

>Muthkat Zanegvod, Recruit has entered a martial trance!
>Muthkat Zanegvod, Recruit has been found dead.
A tale as old as time.

Oh cool. VERY cool. Very good and cool and nice. Hell yes.

cute

>not constructing a pocket universe with your own non-euclidean geometry to plan in

Heliotrope in this context means the color, not the material.

So, how do I view my petitions? How do I know if I have any?

If shift+P doesn't bring any up, you don't have any. When one shows up it will give you a little text alert at the top of the screen.

A migrant has arrived.

Evening lads! Urist McCheesemaker, high master cheese maker. So, when do I begin?

GET TO THE PLUMP HELMET FARMS, FILTHY CHEESE PEDDLER

WHAT THE FUCK

Fucking bards

It's the pied piper, nbd

The prompt at the bottom that tells you what everything is when you keypress your cursor over it isnt showing up.

Also my mouse isnt moving my cursor when I click on things.

Is there a setting or something that I messed up?
im playing on the brand new LNP, DFhack disabled, on >linux

Its not been the easiest thing to install

That's a common problem on Linux. Just open up two consoles, type ./var/bin/var/usr/df -r -a -XC 3.5 | wat | get-gud -bfr --verbose, recompile your socket layer and install libc-0.4.1-alpha-xXTH3DaRKN3SSXx.[H264.AVI.full]-x64 on your secondary drive. Easy!

Save the children

>werebeast attack
>"Urist Suckmydick" Fish Disector got bitten
>Make a burrow
>assign him to it
>activate the burrow
>"Urist Suckmydick" Fish desector is socialzing!
>"Urist Suckmydick" Fish desector transformed into a werebeast!

turn on dfhack you idiot

I was quiet amused by this.

I was also amused by this but why in the name of Thor's Hammer would there be a copy of /bin with a copy of /var AND a copy of /usr under /var itself?

*quite*

Typing in workgloves is hard, okj?

>correcting you're own post

>okj
FUCK

I can't just let the implication that I was quiet amused stand, it makes no sense!

Oh. Whoops. Is there any way to tell the difference? Forgotten beasts CAN show up with inorganic body parts and hides, right?

Ah ive never played without DFHack, I thought it was just console commands.

Im pretty new at the game and with the new pack saying DFHack was going to be unstable I had turned it off.

Then get a tileset with diagonal walls silly!

whoops

Yeah, it will say, e.g. "A gigantic oxpecker composed of cobalt" if that's the material it's made from, or "its cobalt feathers are widely spaced" if that's the color. Generally, if it's made from a special material it says so right after the "...has come!" part, whereas if it's later in the description referring to a specific part (exoskeleton, shell, scales, hair, etc) then it's the color of that part. It's pretty confusing if you're not used to it, because a lot of the possible colors are also the names of materials.

what the fuck is a rogat

race i made for myself to satisfy the need for a people who love the law and hate degenerates, like gobbos

Dead, whatever it is.

Ah, okay, noted. Thanks for the info.

I'm trying to understand the military menu here.

If I have my dwarfs train in the barracks, should it say "Individual combat drill" or "X is leading a hammer demonstration" ?

Either is fine- Demonstrations are only more useful than individual drills if the leader has good leader/teacher skills and the learners have good student skills- At least, I'm pretty sure.

Another question.

Can new migrants be already cave adapted?
The new recruit, a peasant from the first wave, is vomiting all over the fucking barracks.

I've experienced the same, but only in this update

In previous updates, it could definitely still happen if the migrants came from another one of your player-created forts, in which they developed cave adaptation.

So, yes.

FUCK

And I guess they won't clean that shit up since its not underground but an outside stonehouse to protect the entrance to the fort.

Not likely, no, but rain should fix it, unless you disabled weather.

The barracks have a roof though.

Oh, well, I don't know, in that case. Might be out of luck for a passive solution; You might have to jump through hoops, like, designating a water dumping zone after opening a hole in your roof, temporarily.

That just spreads contaminants around.

That picture is amazing.

what should be the requirements for a hardcore run? should melting be forbidden? I think building doors, hatches, floors and walls of any kind should be forbidden too since they make the game too easy. what if you also had to start with zero embark points? should it be terrifying biome only?

Video link?

It depends on how hard you want to go, but, there are some things to consider such as;

>Limited dwarves, potentially only starting 7. Lock all of the rest in a burrow to die

>Starting without either an axe or pick- Potentially only having materials to make one or the other, as opposed to the actual tool.

>No dwarf skills, no animals, no food, or otherwise, limited embark stuff

>Force yourself to only have one means of defending yourself- Only traps, only military (one squad), or only siege weapons, if you're feeling bold

>No stone or metal allowed fort- Only one copper axe, build a fort from wood aboveground or try to embark on a cave

>Must build fort entirely within the caverns

>Biome restrictions (Arctic only, Evil only, etc)

>Kobold Camp

It's hard to pin down just one kind of hardcore run, because really what constitutes a hardcore play of DF is based on which of the myriad of restrictions that you place upon yourself. Any of these things could constitute a hardcore fort

>my military has started to get fucking rekt and needs to retreat ASAP
I do wish we could actually order militia squads to retreat instead of always either attacking with suicidal abandon or having their morale broken and running in a random direction in terror and/or curling into a little ball and waiting to die. It could even be more or less likely to work more or less well depending on the command skills of the militia captain(s)/commander and the discipline and/or well drilledness of the troops, as well as personality traits (like impulsiveness, willingness to heed advice, assertiveness) of both the commander and the troops. I know that there were plenty of real life battles which were pretty much decided by the fact that a significant part of the losing side was insufficiently well disciplined to not chase after a foe which was retreating or feigning retreat. I think it'd be awesome, and not that hard to code, to have all the standard, basic rts commands available for militia squads, but with a good chance of them not following your orders a lot of the time based on various realistic factors like that.

>limited dwarves
how does that make the game hard in any way? anyone sane limits max number of dwarves. if anything, it only saves you some frames per second
>start without pick or axe
so, I have to take a copper bar and build a smith workshop which takes about 5 seconds and 50 less points? this definitely doesn't make it harder
>limited embark
is zero points good enough?
>only one means of defense
I choose walls
>no stone or metal, build above ground
sounds like it involves building walls
>build fort within caverns
doesn't make it harder, just a bit more tedious
>biome restriction
fair enough
>kobold camp
walls

Should I plan on housing all industries in my fortress, or do you not play games with all industries sometimes? What are the essential industries if I don't need them all? I've had 3 forts and my fortress design is always shit. I just kill my dwarves at around 2 years out of being frustrated with my fortress.

>X hits Dwarf in the head, but the attack is deflected by the *steel helmet*
>the force pulls on the neck, tearing the upper spine's nervous tissue
>Dwarf suffocates

Makes me wonder if there's any point in wearing helms anymore. It makes sense, sure, but it's a pain in the ass.

I've reached a point where the overall bottleneck for my fort seems to be hauling.

What do you think of the entrance to my fort /dfg/? The outer path is for wagons, the inner is for pedestrians (and invaders). The empty room on the east side is to provide a space for militia members to wait so as to flank invaders, etc. It's still new and I'm consider about traps, marksdwarf access for the fortifications etc. Also I'm thinking to put a ceiling over it once I cut enough lead blocks to avoid sunlight sickness in the militia members waiting there etc.

If you're channelizing them that much you need a row of ballistas.

Yea, get a ceiling built, else it will be useless against flying threats- Overall though, it's an okay entrance. It's spacious, and can be controlled by drawbridges, if you put the effort in.

obviously don't build walls.
>I want self imposed difficulty but I'll use something that makes everything e z

I'm two and a half months into a new fortress, going slow because there are basically no threats in the world, or at least on the little island I'm on. Anyway, for no apparent reason at all, the mule which apparently swam my wagon here has suddenly become terrified of something and has run away from the wagon which all the other animals and idle dwarves were congregating around. The only wildlife on the map is a group of albatrosses, nothing has died, the only thing that happened just now that I can possibly imagine having scared it is I just got around to smelting the copper ore that I brought with me to make tools from. Did Toady actually code in for mules to be scared of smelting?

It's somewhat redundant for flying titans/megabeasts, because in that case it's a single enemy and I can just have my militia dwarves wait inside for the beast to come in (or I could if the pathing bug was fixed). It's main purpose is to put groups of invaders like goblins into a long column to decrease their numerical advantage and potentially subject them to traps.

Alright, well, you've got your entrance against a dirt wall- Invaders can and will jump down there. Likewise for the trees on the east side. You don't have to, strictly speaking, roof it, but, it's the easiest ways to plug up those glaring flaws.

Since that's above ground, I can infer that those walls are at-best made of stone blocks, which means that they can still be climbed over by invaders / mounts with sufficient climbing skill, bypassing whatever plan of defense you had in the first place. You might get by with favorable treatment from pathing AI for a while, but if it ever bites you in the ass you'll wish that you'd built a roof.

I did already have this section ceilinged, I forgot to mention.

And I will put a ceiling over it. I was merely commenting that I'm not too concerned about fliers. Thanks though.

Bumpitybump.

>When your Tame Tapir being chased by A Cave Croc suddenly discover a magma pool, spiraling your civ into the next golden age.

Good burdy, keep running.

Whats the best way to set up a steady supply of alcohol?

My biggest trouble are the barrels and the food production.
Even with only one fisher dwarf, one dimple cup plot of 3x3 and one cook the supplies never run out and use up all the fucking barrels.

Can I make a barrel stockpile on which only the still has access to?

Tapirs are porcine creatures.

Yes. But be careful with linking stockpiles. A workshop will either take from all piles or only from linked if my memory serves right. So you also need to link a stockpile that contains brewable plants.

I am a dwarf, not a zoologist, cut me some slack

Does Dwarf Fortress generate migrants on the fly, or am I fucked by having a parent civilization with literally 3 members?

Haaa the goblins, a proud race of hard working and engineering people who is destined to rule the known world.

eat dirt stunties

I think that your first two migrant waves will be spontaneously generated, regardless of the state of your parent civ. That might be outdated info, though.

aren't dimple cups only used for blue dye?

The first two waves are hardcoded and will always happen - the ones afterwards though, you'll probably only get those 3 living guys and nothing else afterwards.

That's a problem then. I wanted to rebuild dwarven civilization, but when doing this before I just had Dwarves from my old fort migrate into my new one. Might do this anyway for "fun".