>Plot
>Cast
>Commercial or non-commercial
>Overall game length goal
>How long you've been working on your project
>When you think you'll be done

Post pics if you got em too

reposting this because i like regions
what's the wackiest thing you're doing with region scripting user?

At the moment? Nothing.

>VX Ace
>Another world filled with adventure consistent of several continents
>Skills are purchased learned and equipped
>ABS
>Lots of gambling based on variable events
>Two forces are clashing with one another for control over the known world
>Up to four fully customizable characters that the player will chose
>Non commercial
>Help a side control the world, prevent either from controlling the world, control the world yourself, do absolutely nothing, or just have adventures (have fun)
>3 months
>At least another year

ding

God damn it. One of the plugins I'm using just broke somehow. I think I know why it broke but I dont know how to fix it, basically when Im testing battles, I went to using 2 members in battle test from 3 and when i went back to 3 this happened (first and last member overlap). I started the game up thinking it was just a visual bug but nope it happens in game too. Anyone able to help me try and fix this? This is the plugin Im using: rpgmakercentral.com/topic/36858-actor-portraits-in-battle/

>>Game Engine
MV
>>Setting
Bizzaro early '00s kind of like in Maplestory except without any of the tribalism because everyone will be one specie
>>Skill development system
Gain points to skill-up attacks after each lvl-up (hopefully, if I could code that in)
Sniper/Gunners can buy better weapon upgrades to give them a better shot.
>>Battle System
not there yet. I wanted to put something unique but I also don't want it to be annoying so I'm working on this. I like crowd controlling in video games but I don't think I can make that happen in MV unless I really work around with the program.
Gunners can One-Hit-KnockOut anyone who isn't bullet proof but everyone will have the ability to paralyze them with items or special abilities.
>>Any extraneous systems like crafting/minigames/etc
Maybe something to give the player more money
>>Plot
gather books to learn special powers to take down yourself from the future who's trying to take over the world because depression or something it doesn't matter, it's the journey that counts :)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
>>Cast
a full psychic, a psychic with physical powers as well, a gunner (powerful against one enemy), and a demoman (low-power against all enemies)
>>Commercial or non-commercial
dunno
>>Overall game length goal
dunno, hopefully on the longer side if people enjoy it
>>How long you've been working on your project
a few days
>>When you think you'll be done
in a few years

The plugin must only check certain things regarding party size when the game is launched. You might need to have it check again during any event where party members are added or subtracted.

but it should reset whenever i reopen the battle test window shouldnt it? it also carried over into the actual game where my party was already at 3. thats why im confused.

I'm assuming Plugin Guy didn't bother to make it work very well with Battle Test. If I were coding in my free time, I'd make it work for the actual game but any other possible circumstance boils down to number of complaints. Since it works in-game, I'd make a dev room and run battle tests from there. Or ignore it, since it has no impact on the finished product

But, this bug is appearing in-game too is the thing. rip me. I've tried to look at other similar plugins to see if I could replace it but the few that Ive found just don't look as nice as this one. It was working fine too until today. Ugh.

>dying 11 posts in

Ain't it sad?

Which RTP character do you want to see naked?

Where are all the good MV games?

>>Game Engine
MV
>>Setting
Victorian with technology on the rise.
>>Skill development system
Find masks you can wear on missions that grant unique abilities.
>>Battle System
ABS
>>Any extraneous systems like crafting/minigames/etc
Thinking of implementing a lockpicking minigame but nothing so far.
>>Plot
You are a thief and new to a city. While on a solo heist you are captured by a thieving guild who employ you upon witnessing your skills. You work for them for a while before being set up and imprisoned. You escape prison and humiliate the guild by stealing their prized possessions.
>>Cast
(You), your guild and a rival guild.
>>Commercial or non-commercial
Non-commercial
>>Overall game length goal
No clue yet, depends on how many missions I include and the difficulty.
>>How long you've been working on your project
Two months
>>When you think you'll be done
Hopefully before the end of 2018.

Killed by scope creep. Weighed down by endless plugins and options, nobody ever nailed down exactly what they wanted and got stuck on what their game could be

In production
Please understand

>Gain points to skill-up attacks after each lvl-up (hopefully, if I could code that in)

I think this is possible with a Yanfly plugin. I was looking into doing something like the Personal Skill system from Wild Arms 2, and one of his plugins had the functionality you're looking for

So anyone with some programming knowledge able to help me with this? It's pretty much the last thing holding me back before I can actually make more progress as this is a battle focused game...

buuuump

Does this also happen on a new project?
Did you try disabling other plugins?

The clown

Huh...that's interesting it works fine on a new project. So I guess another plugin is doing something to affect it then...:/ well shit, I have so many other plugins in that game already though. Ugh guess I have no choice, Im gonna have to disable things one by one I guess till it fixes itself,

Which clown?

the fat piece of shit MV clown

Is it possible to make it so that if I kill an enemy (but not all of them) and then run away from the battle, the party receives exp gained and items dropped from the enemies who died (instead of getting nothing at all)?

>playing Earthbound 2 for the first time
>wanted to put an underwater level in my game
>Earthbound 2 has an underwater level
>tfw don't want to feel like I'm ripping off Earthbound too much but I did legitimately want an underwater level before playing Earthbound 2
Just for the record, I am not ripping off the underwater level from Earthbound 2 for my game. I'm ripping it off from Psychonauts and Alice in Wonderland.

>He uses MV
>Chibi XD sprite styles are the worst rpg maker has ever put out and prevents any game from feeling actually genuine or serious
>Community is complete cancer
>Engine is high res so making custom assets is a nightmare
>Java instead of ruby so all previous knowledge of rpg maker script is thrown out the window and you are forced to learn a new one
>80 percent of scripts are just VXA ports
>Scum like you use it because 'ids the newist verjun dood, stay curent.'
>Built in side view battle system that becomes completely worthless because every normalfag who wasted money on this abomination uses the SBS.
Anyone who uses this engine and expects to make anything but garbage needs to be put to death

AW WTF?! It turns out that somehow the super tools engine Im using is causing that display issue! But wtf, I need that as it was super important in organizing all the menus. Shit, what do I do now?
This is the plugin btw: sumrndm.site/super-tools-engine/

I realize a decent amount of these answers might be "I can't make my own art/music" but why are so many RPG maker games non commercial?

You sound like a python 2 shill. Pretty much all those reasons are voided if you haven't used previous RPG maker engines or if you're willing to actually learn new things and improve.

>chibi sprites are irrelevant because you should be making your own.
>community has nothing to do with your game.
>high res engine is just an improvement, get good and stop using low res as a crutch.
>javascript is a more powerful and more widely used programming language.
>That's what happens when you release a new product, port the old stuff, release a little new stuff.
>You should use the newest version if it's better and you're willing to upgrade.
>Something doesn't become worthless just because other people use it. Stop using "uniqueness" as a crutch for not wanting to compete with people.

I don't think it would be easy to fix this for anyone here, best chances are to contact the coder yourself.

>high res engine is just an improvement, get good and stop using low res as a crutch.
Not that guy but this is just wrong.
RPGs are meant to be played on a handheld device. Even newer ones zoom into the game to give it a faux-lower res. They're supposed to focus on you, the player, rather the map.
The other guy could just find something to make the game zoomed in but high res is definitely not an improvement unless you're into sprite modeling (which I am.)

Because most RPG maker games are shit?

Because they're made by 15 year olds who don't know how to make money?

Yeah I kinda figured as much. It was worth a shot, but I guess I'll just try to get help from somerandomdude's discord and worst case scenario Ill have to find a different battle portrait plugin.

Engine: MV
Setting: Future dont know specifically
Skills: Each party member can have 5 skills at one time with ability to switch which ones they want, learn new skills by leveling up, transforming, or items.
Battle: Front view, 3 party members at once vs 1-5 opponents at once.
Extra systems: Party members can 'evolve' if requirements are met.
Plot: not sure yet.
cast: hundreds.
Money: free
length: hopefully at least 15-20 hours.
Time spent: like a month off and on
Done: HA, not anytime soon. Demo, maybe idk few months?

I believe in the user that was working on his 8HGC.

Mostly because I'm bored with nothing to do.

All requests are final. No do-overs or take backs.
Inb4 "how does 'naked' work?"

he actually did it
the absolute madman
good job

>RPGs are meant to be played on a handheld device.
Not him but no.
I agree that using 48x48 chibi sprites on a full HD resolution is a bad idea but that doesn't mean that handhelds are magically better than consoles/PC just because of technical limitations.
I would also say that maps are just as important as the player character(s), who wants to traverse badly looking/designed maps?
Not sure what the best ratio for player character to viewable map is but if you use a low resolution you are less likely to fuck that up I think.

I had a hearty giggle, now do the cutie from actors 1 with the red scarf.

I wish a game being shit was a barrier to it being a commercial product on steam or whatever. Is it just that most RPG maker games aren't worth the $100.steam submission fee? Also how common are patent trolls with RPG maker games?

>Game Engine
MV
>Setting
South asia
>Skill development system
vanilla or through character's quest
>Battle System
vanilla
>Any extraneous systems like crafting/minigames/etc
fishing maybe
>Plot
small white boi go on adventure, recruiting different kind of milfs.
>Cast
still planning, so far have mc white boy,brown milf and her daughter,muscular bandit leader,sensei,robutt,slime girl,warrior chick,witch
commercial maybe
no clue,10 hour?
4 months
hopefully within a 1-2 year

good night bump

Only if you're born after 2000 and only know post 3DS/PSP era rpgs
RPGs should be played in dark basements for entire evenings.
Not 5 minute distractions drawing gacha lots or quick mission checklists.

Also, they don't "zoom in" for the resolution's sake. Bigger bitmaps means bigger filesizes that have to be stored in memory. And we're talking about RPGs with hundreds of character models and set locations. That's why RMVX and After started combining 8 characters to a sheet.
Because 1 big sheet is easier to process than 8 individual smaller one. Of course, that efficiency becomes bloat if you're only using 1 of the 8 sprites and you're not grouping them by on-screen appearances.
2D frame by frame animation can't be compress like 3D animation can. That's why higher res 2D graphics like Odin Sphere use a puppeteering method in side-view. It's easier to pivot limbs and mesh-warp static images. There's very little frame by frame action going on, and it can be easily mirrored for left and right directions.
But you can't do that in 3/4 view with 4dir. Which is why you never see it in high resolution.

>Game Engine
Glorious VX Ace masterrace
>Setting
Standard fantasy: low tech advancement compensated with magic and shit
Weapon based, the more you use a type of weapon the better you get with it
>Battle System
Turn based
You can eat and drink while out of battle and even get drunk, it doesn't affect anything but I thought it would be fun
>Plot
A party of chosen ones go on a quest to defeat the bad guy
>Cast
Paladin MC, underage cute witch, fedora tipper rogue, tsundere ranger, featuring generic bad guy
Non
Couple of hour including side quests
One and half year
Never

Whelp I tried asking for help in the discord and they couldn't figure out what was causing the issue. And getting in contact with randomdude himself is also difficult enough as he even states on his website that it could take a week or more to reply to someone. UGH this fuckin sucks. I'll try and figure it out later since its super late already but i might just have to get another plugin that does something similar. Though the ones I tried looking at so far didn't look as good as this one. What a pain in the ass. Good night bump.

There's a discord?

Also I accidently deleted the current version of my project when I reformatted my computer. I have backups but they're hours behind where I was. Fug.

I want to store all the dialogues in txt files, which is the most efficient to organize the files?
I was thinking about putting all the lines from a character in a single file, if the character is a member of the party or has tons of lines. For minor npcs store their dialogues in single file based on their area (all the npcs from town x belong to file x).
It would make it easier to cache

Not on my sight

Go to home user, you're beer.

Raise a hand if you've made drunk event in your game's Pub. Like Reversed walking controls or a messing with the visuals.

o/

Messing with accurancy in battle for 5 minutes too

again

How can I make actors cast their abilities immediately after you selected them? I'm aware of Yanfly's instant cast, but that plugin also allows many abilities to be casted in the same turn.

>SumRndmDude has his own Discord
Does he really need one? I've heard of voice actors having them, too. It seems like Discord is the new Tiwtter/Tumblr/Facebook where you're basically required to have one for free exposure

Imo, social media is a catch 22.
If they know who you are, you're already got that exposure.
If they don't know who you are, they're never going to see your social media accounts in the first place.

>Plugin
Literally kys MV faggot

what do you find so interesting about them? They're a technical mess imo. Only good use I've found is upticking variables with pushable events to make boulder puzzles unlock when variable = all regions filled.

AH

>Waste time making your own shitty looking completely stylized sprites unable to use preexisting sprite resources
>Thousands of shit games floating around on this shit engine, and you don't think people will immediately judge you for using it?
>Le Get Gud. Classic rpgs we're never meant to be seen in resolution this high unless they were in actual 3d. Brainlets like you can't seem to understand that. Watch the next engine use an even higher sprite resolution to the point where it isn't even pixel art anymore
>Java is for shitty web based flash games. Ruby is kind of wierd, but it was tailored specifically for this engine since the very beginning. Newfags can't understand how drastic a change this is for users who have used the previous engines
>When VX came out, it was extremely difficult to port XP scripts because the differences between the engines. It forced the community to create a brand-new series of scripts that could fully take advantage of the engine. With MV there are barely any truly original scripts. Just VXA scripts ported and adjusted.
>You missed the point. Something becomes worthless in originality if everyone abuses it. There are people who believe the MV doesn't even have a front view battle system. Stop being a complete faggot

yanfly.moe/2017/03/24/yep-130-battle-system-standard-turn-battle-rpg-maker-mv/

What's a good reason/motivation for the villain to destroy the world?

A great... unbeknownst evil... it plagues the land... infects the hearts of the powerful... and the good... The power that be... it... is... TOO STRONG! He... he can't hold on to his sanity much longer... before breaking... he must... travel back in time... to destroy himself... before he overtakes the world... before... it's too... late...

>RPGs should be played in dark basements for entire evenings.
No, they should be played curled up in the corner of your room past your bedtime while eating cold fries and In-N-Out shakes that you forgot you were supposed to eat because you were too focused delving yourself deeper and deeper into your game, afraid your parents would knock your door down and find you playing those evil Jap mind control video games.

Well he may have made it, but its not a place he frequents either, i just went there to ask the coders there if they could figure out what was wrong.

I need your help guys. My game takes place on a medieval setting and I want to make it as accurate as possible as to how peasant life was during those times.

How plausible is it for a female peasant girl to know how to read? His dad is a skilled craftsmen so her family is better off than most peasants, but they're not nobility per se and are still tied to their lord's land. I was thinking of making it so that parents were able to pay a Latin grammar education for her, but since females weren't allowed to receive an education in medieval times, that makes it even harder to justify. How should I go about it?

Give her a brother and have the instructor have taught the boy to succeed his father, but she still listened in on the lessons?

I don't want to use Yanfly plugins that mess with the battle system because they are too intrusive and I somehow balanced RM default battle system.

Thanks anyways

That's interesting. I'll think about it.

Redone portraits for this alien vampire lady. ( WIP )

Original one.

Kawaii!

Are there any guys in your game?

What kind of "destroy" are we talking here

Like actually destroy the entire thing? Probably needs to be a Kefka-style nutjob or a Galactus-level cosmic shitheel.

On the level of wiping out human civilization? It's not exactly far out to believe it's corrupt and a minority lives in excess while oppressing the rest. They may believe humans have proven themselves unworthy of continued existence and need to be wiped away so something new can take their place (even better if your setting has a creation deity of some sort). They could belong to a different race that has been fucked over by humans, ergo all humans must die. Or a race that believes itself superior to humans. Or they could want to save the environment.

I dunno, destroying the world at any level is kind of hard to justify no matter how good the motivation may be. It's the kind of thing you resort to when you want your villain to be a Villain and no one should need to feel bad about killing them.

A handful, but I kinda dislike how their portraits are drawn so I'll be redoing those too.

Destroying the world is pretty extreme as far as objectives go. Taking it over? Yeah, absolutely.
But destroying it? Unless the villain has the ability to survive without the world - maybe they can live in space/want to colonize another planet, maybe they're not going to be affected by the destruction of the world because they already live in a different dimension/on a different planet/are a deity - what they're trying to accomplish is basically suicide with the added bonus of taking everyone else with them.

I guess you could go for the suicidally depressed villain, with the intent to take absolutely everything down with them because they feel like the entire world has wronged them. Or something.

I think that's ten times cuter than the original one.
Definitely an improvement!

Wat

bump

Something about something infecting people and turning them evil? Also sending oneself back to the past before it happened to try to fix it? I have no idea.

Could also run with something like Shinra from FF7. They weren't doing it to be dicks, they were just exploiting the energy the planet gave and world destruction was just a side effect. Something that isn't directly causing it but still happens accordingly could work.

>Le Get Gud. Classic rpgs we're never meant to be seen in resolution this high unless they were in actual 3d. Brainlets like you can't seem to understand that. Watch the next engine use an even higher sprite resolution to the point where it isn't even pixel art anymore

I don't understand why the engine doesn't have multiple resolution modes. Presumably they could have just had a VX mode or whatever that could use VS spritesheets etc. However nothing is stopping you from just making 24x24 sprites and scaling them up to 48x48. You could make the stylistic decision to just have a game that's has smaller pixel art. Also the whole "RPGs" are meant to be played on hand helds thing is dumb. Even if you're just talking about J-RPG's they been on lots of different consoles and systems. They definitely aren't a handheld exclusive thing even if your fondest memories of RPG's are handheld ones.

>Game Engine
MV
>Setting
Cyberpunk sort of dystopia
No real RPG elements
>Battle System
None, I've replaced battles with hentai encounters
I've made a few arcade games that represent work that passes time in the story
>Plot
Standard office worker seeks lewd misadventures in a rainy, neon city.
>Cast
Standard everyman PC, haughty girls, tsundere robots, pure innocent young ladies and busty office gals
Halfway- free games with optional patreon
10+ half-hour scenario episodes
A year
A couple more years

Yeah but even if you played it back when on your TV, the resolution was poor because TVs weren't in HD quality.

they're much better than placing down individual event tiles in a shit ton of circumstances

iirc, can't you use whatever resolution for overworld sprites you want? I forget where I read this before, but the way MV handles sprite separation, is that it takes the overall height of the spritesheet, and divides it by eight, and takes the overall width, and divides it by twelve, and bam, there you go. Of course, for sprite sheets that use the $ prefix for singular characters, they would take the overall height, divide by 4, and the overall width, and divide by 3.

You might but it might look fucked up if it's too hi-res on a large image.
Plus, you might have to mess around with your player's collision if it's too wide/thin.

How would you go about doing that? Well, outside of plugins, I mean.

>outside of plugins
I haven't even fixed that with my plugin and custom sprites.

Reposting my (completed)game from the previous thread.
Would appreciate some more feedback.

sadpinkstar.itch.io/spacesave

Have fun, anons! Also, I'm slowly starting to work on the first patch.

I'll stop the shilling now

no more guessing how far the buff extends to

also, it exposed a silly problem i had with my sprite cleanup function. for whatever reason, i was using a break statement after deleting a single unused sprite. this meant only one sprite per frame could be removed, and after a certain point, it wouldn't be able to keep up with all the battle animations that were being added to the map.

0-3 content
4-6 music
7-9 slack off

A little shilling is okay
What is your game about?

Oh, it's a Tower Defense? That's pretty neat!

Not a fan of it being anime but it looks great.

In short - a young boy finds an alien one day and craziness ensue.

Gameplay-wise: your typical turn-based RPG with free-roam and exploration elements between story sections.

bump

It's basically Earthbound with a lot of beating people into bloody pulps, alien civilizations trying to take over humanity and children being kidnapped and possibly eaten.
Also dogs.

Progress