How do you make money in stocks?

Hello there. I'm new here. I'm 19 years old and I usually go to /a/, /k/, /co/, /pol/ and /r9k/, but the other week or so my dad (who's a pretty smart guy) told me that he's moved some money he's set aside for me out of a shitty CD and onto an E-Trade account. It's somewhere between 15k-20k USD. He told me that he wanted me to be on the look out for stocks that were going to increase in value over time, so I started looking for them. I think I'm good at identifying a safe company (Disney, Apple, Alphabet, Microsoft, and so on), but I want to know more about investing in the stock market. What can you guys tell me?

Tell your dad crypto is the future and drop all 20k on the pivx dip. Thank me later

This. Fuck stocks.

((((Cryptos are a pyramid scheme))))

tell your dad to stop being a jew and hire a money manager

Stocks are for faggots, baby boomers just think they work because there was a boom in the 80's

The only time you should have stocks is if they're shares in your own compamy or you're paying a mutual fund full of pros to invest for you.

> spending money for people underperforming their benchmark

> read book
> realize that you won't make it
> invest in cheap index funds
> be happy

very carefully

keep investing in amazon untill walmart is bankrupt

EMH is a cope for failed traders.

tell your dad that you took all the money and converted it into virtual magic coins, let him flip out on you, and then smugly flaunt for gainz a year from now

Oil and renewable energies.

When oil crashed, it killed renewable and brought the price of gold and silver down. Oil will not be this cheap forever.

Oil will rise. Gold, silver, and renewable energy with it.

>I read a 200 page book and now realize JP Morgan Chace and Goldman sachs are a bunch of dumb dumbs.

>having your autistic 19 year son invest money for you
i'd take 2% gains over a completely blown up account

Put everything in a vanguard index fund. Single-handedly fund animes when you are 80 and a billionaire. It's that simple.

Convert it all into bitcoins and send them to me. I guarantee 1000% return in 90 days.

Invest in index funds. There is no point doing anything else with stocks unless you actually know what you're doing.

Alternatively, convert it to crypto and go all-in on POSW. You'll be a millionaire by 2020.

Check out the Robinhood general. Somethimes those autists make good picks.

Time in the market beats timing the market

Basically, markets go up, on average, over time. So the best time to buy is now, even if there may be a correction on the horizon.

Also, don't put all your money in securities. Keep a balance of cash to stocks, (30/70 is good for a younger guy) and if you make more cash or the stock market goes up or down by a lot, rebalance to get to your intended balance. That ensures you're buying low and selling high.

Stocks are for old people.

>I read a 200 page book and now realize investment banks exist to extract money from dumb goyim like the tool I just quoted

Any good books for people looking to get into stock trading?

no

I understand

Put it all on NAK and hold until the end of 2017

So is trading stocks pointless? I have $1000 set aside, my dad said he would let me trade under his account so I don't really have to worry about fees or things like that. Not interested in any long term investment I was just thinking about getting my feet wet.

1000 is nothing for a steady safe return (10-20%), dump that into a safer crypto (eth, ripple, btc maybe) and you'll have a fun ride

Cryptos are bullshit, dabble in them on the side if you want op, you can certainly make some money, but by no means invest everything into them. My recommendation would be something like Amazon, google, or better yet, just do index funds until you know what your doing.

to make it easier to understand I will use fantasy numbers

lets say i buy a share of stock (1 share) from apple. The share price of when I buy it is 100 dollars.

I know own one share of Apple stock. A stock is basically an IOU the company gives you in return for investing in the company. The short of it is "If you give us money, your "donation" will be put towards our planning, structuring, parts, jobs, and acquisition of companies when appropriate."

So stock brokers can look at the numbers and say, damn, this company is doing really well and should be worth a lot more in the future because everyone will buy the next iPhone. They rate it as a buy and give a price target to match the predicted future value of a share of stock. Lets say this broker puts a price target of 120 dollars per share.

Now holders will need to decide if they should buy more, hold and see, or sell depending on many different situations to see if which option is the correct one. Do I buy more and anticipate a higher share price and sell later? Do I hold what I have now and see what happens. Do I sell b ecause I believe the shares are overvalued and the price target is wrong?

I left out a lot but that is what the stock market is, predicting future value across a huge amount of potential things that may happen. People tend to diversify to protect themselves, but a lot of people that talk about currency or bitcoin on Veeky Forums are more daring and are more willing to take huge risks.

Do not dabble in stocks if it is not your own money. The stress is not worth it, I can afford to play with (and lose) my own money. But if I lost my dad's money it would be a really shitty feeling

Ever read economics fag? Yes the market always goes up, but it's not adjusted for inflation. This means that you are not getting richer. Pls read

to continue from other post:

as demand increases for apple shares the price of 1 stock goes up, it's being inflated by demand for shares. If more people are buying than selling, the price goes up. The opposite is true if more people are selling and the price goes down.

Lets say Apple fucked up and their iPhone 9 was a huge disaster. Everyone that holds shares in Apple will realize that the valuation is too high and immediately panic, hitting the sell button, hoping to beat everyone else. If everyone is selling and no one buying, the share price will nose dive, perhaps lets say, to 80 dollars. You still own one share of Apple, but its worth 80 dollars now. If the company is long lasting and you don't need the money immediately, you can wait it out for them to recover. As soon as you sell it though you "realize" the loss or gain of a share of stock.

That is how you make money from stocks, by parking money long term in stocks as they slowly move up, or take more risk in volatile markets in which they seasaw rapidly and hope to catch an opportunity.

There is also buying stock in dividend companies which tend to payout a small % quarterly or monthly, or yearly. A lot of people who don't want to mess with the stock market will buy dividend stocks because it is simply easier, and further still some people buy index funds for diversification.

Just buy Blackrock shares and wait.

WKN 928193

Everybody should invest into meteor mining and sattelite projekts.
Mankind needs more and more sattelites in space and the market is gonna blow up

cept unless your participating in the IPO, your not buying from the company in the primary market, your almost always purchasing from other stockholders, and the buy/sell demand of the market decides the current prices per share.

By all means enlighten me. I'm curious to see what economists you respect.

You're free to study the available data on your own, it's all public record and the conclusions are the same.
Managed funds are lottery for the kind of people fond of saying "lottery is a tax on the poor" with a smirk.

Long term investment in the stock market has always outpaced inflation, and with even half-assed timing + luck you could outpace it several fold. what are you on about?

They are indeed.