/lzg/ - Lab Zero General (Skullgirls and Indivisible)

Holly Jolly Edition

Previous thread: >Indivisible News
Backer Preview is finally out!
indivisiblegame.com/2017/11/13/backer-preview-released/
Speed run and completion contest is currently underway until December 15th (Three days left)
indivisiblegame.com/2017/11/13/backer-preview-speed-run-contest-information/
New Kampan animations and gameplay
indivisiblegame.com/2017/11/02/kampan-gameplay-animations/

Indivisible backers, if you need to update your mailing info or anything else please do so on BackerKit
labzerogames.com/important-notice-for-all-backers/

>Skullgirls News
The LRG physical copies have been shipped!
twitter.com/Skullgirls/status/924000794482896896

Cerebella Origin story coming soon to Mobile
twitter.com/sgmobile/status/938551185488908288

>News Outlets
twitter.com/IndivisibleRPG
twitter.com/skullgirls
twitter.com/sgmobile

>Skullgirls Beginner Stuff
skullheart.com/index.php?threads/beginner-resources-thread.242
>Public Skullgirls (NOT /lzg/'s) Discord
discordapp.com/invite/0WWSQspQVqkHy4In

>Official Forums
skullheart.com
forum.skullgirlsmobile.com

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/sgmobile/status/940725494823211010
melkosan.tumblr.com/post/167660846256/forgot-to-post-this-hands-are-hardindivisible
youtube.com/watch?v=FRBisIZvl24
twitter.com/IndivisibleRPG/status/940735878372003841
twitter.com/Skarmand/status/940845716733382657
youtube.com/watch?v=UtH5DsH3oVY
genjubox.tumblr.com/image/168497289296
twitter.com/770mk/status/940944971091271680
hebiniwa.tumblr.com/post/168502552551/copy-out-drawing-not-looling
neko-devil.tumblr.com/post/168500365759
youtube.com/watch?v=Ge3DFWCYU7w
twitter.com/VA_JO/status/940852212200243200
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How's Skullgirls and Indibisible lately?

Indivisible speedrun contest just got an update and extension

Pretty good. Scene is still strong considering all things and the regular updates for Indivisible are always a good thing.

I guess they're looking for more entries

Is ajna a senators son

>I guess they're looking for more entries
They're requiring video footage and extended the deadline since it was a late update to the rules.

The winning videos have probably already been submitted, but it's only fair.

>roti runs away
>"it ain't me" starts playing

what do you mean regular updates? the game isn't out.

dev updates, like character animation, programing, etc

oh, of course.

there's my girl!

twitter.com/sgmobile/status/940725494823211010

you can have her

how does ajna deal with agent orange

he makes him move outta the way

So what gameplay topic(s) should we kick off with? Anybody with a burning question?

I do want source on that drawing.

Will indiv have prebuffs?

here you go
melkosan.tumblr.com/post/167660846256/forgot-to-post-this-hands-are-hardindivisible

Honestly, the gameplay aspects I'm most cruous about are how much of an RPG is it actually going to be? What will the level of dialogue and quests, etc be? Or will it trend more towards your typical JRPG in that where narrative is linear and there's very few sidequests.
The giant-ass city they've shown off does give me hope for a lot of NPC quests and conversations, though.

Beatrix is a shit waifu.

Thanks. Kala has a nice pair of tits and it's a shame she has gotten so little fan art so far.
Of course, that's the case with most characters right now.

she's also not slut queen of the year

Can't be a slut if no one wants to fuck you.

I'm also pretty curious of how "in-depth" will the level design get. I haven't played the demo or backer beta, but I have watch the speed run vids.
The level design doesn't look bad, but it doesn't have that same degree of puzzles that Metroid has. I hope it'll be much more complex in the final product.

What kind are you referring to? Would you count getting hit initiative? Because that's a big deal right now.
We know there will be stat upgrades from ringsels, and probably armor/weapon buffs, but there won't be the typical consumables type deal.

So what do you think Cerebella's mobile story will actually cover?
Just random circus stuff?

how she pleases old men

poorly?

I wouldn't say Metroid has a lot of puzzles really. Maybe the Prime series, but even then Metroid's really been more about having a big map to explore. Something Indiv can't really have as a brief demo.

Like in Metroid, knowing what opens the door isn't hard, but finding the switch for it might take some patience. That's kind of the line between Metroid and a game like La Mulana, where in La Mulana the door and the switch can be right in front of your face, but you still might not know how to solve the puzzle that actually opens the door.

Goddammit, I need to replay super metroid.
What I kind of mean is that there's always a level of back-tracking fuckery going on, there's hidden paths in walls, hidden items. Level navigation is rarely a matter of holding a direction on the controls.

Hey that's pretty good.
Also hey, Dan Fornace. I find it funny that he's there

>Level navigation is rarely a matter of holding a direction on the controls.
adding to that thought.
The metroid series in particular one of the few game franchises that I've played that has the level design principles of giving the player what could be called "busy work".
Not every puzzle is hard, and not every puzzle is complex, but in basic navigation of the level the play must stop to shot a missile, roll around in the morph ball, plant a bomb or super bomb, use ice beam to jump on enemies, bomb jump, etc. And these are all integrated into the level design.
The only similar games to this from what I've experienced are Wario Land 2 and 3 (made by the same dev team as Super Metroid) as it uses Wario's immortality as a main gameplay element, enemies are design to annoy, impede and set back progress the player has and Half-Life 2, which uses the physics engine to give the player a lot of busy work, here's a good video on the subject youtube.com/watch?v=FRBisIZvl24

twitter.com/IndivisibleRPG/status/940735878372003841

so who is the best sg or indivisible

filia

can skullgirls teach me how to draw hands?

if theyre drawn giving handjobs and breastmassages then yes

From a exploration standpoint, I think getting 100% in the Backer Preview requires about as much critical thinking as a casual Any% run of Super Metroid. Most of SM's crucial upgrades are found just by persistently bombing walls and floors in every new area you come to, and then setting a goal of going back to open every door you found along the way.

I might even consider 100%-ing the Preview as harder than early-game in SM. Since the Preview doesn't give new players any indicators of what the Heruka Dash can actually be used for, they're forced to figure it out for themselves. Whereas SM purposefully leads players to a lot of rooms that show obvious benefits of being able to run faster, so once they finally get the Booster, they know to just go back to those rooms, hold forward, and make their way to some upgrades.

In either case, I don't think watching a speedrun of either game quite encompasses the thought that goes into finishing a blind run. Like, if I was to base my opinion of SM's level design from what I see in speedruns, I'd just assume the maps weren't designed properly around the walljump. I wouldn't be able to acknowledge that Samus' walljump is treated as a hidden skill, and also requires some finesse with the controller to pull off consistently. However, just knowing the walljump exists would probably still influence my first hands-on experience with the game. I might then complain that the controls for the walljump are poorly handled or something, and consider that an additional mark against the level design.

Anyway, your comments just make me reflect on one thought I've had regarding Indivisible's release, which is the concern that people might be expecting more from Indivisible than they actually get from other Metroidvanias. The Yooka-Laylee dilemma, perhaps? I hope it's something LZ is aware of and they've got a lot more tricks up their sleeves.

to be honest, I don't have a whole lot of expectations of Indivisible because outside the art and such I haven't really been following it.
I guess you could say my posts are more just wishful thinking and stirring conversation
I mean, I'm hoping labZero has the ability to reflect on how their level design works in relation to good examples of level design in the past. Skullgirls has certainly taught me that they can make a damn fine fighting game. I think they're capable of making a good platformer/rpg

>and stirring conversation
And for that I greatly greatly appreciate you user!

I'm curious to see how the game turns out too, and hopefully LZ is really putting their foot into this. This will be the first game that shows off their level design skills as a team, so hitting a high mark for it will be pretty impressive. We've seen other companies like Wayforward and Capcom take good mechanics but still flounder on the design

I wish we had some sort of base line we could postulate from.
Not really a demo or beta, but a single completed level.

We're probably not getting any "complete" levels until the game's out. It looks like there's a lot they don't want to spoil us on.
And I can't really blame them either. Singleplayer games are heavy on first impressions, so making the final release feel fresh is a big incentive.

Games like A Hat in Time had really fleshed out areas in their Beta, but it kinda worked against them as they needed to gradually cut or streamline content for the release build, causing some Beta players to find the final game dumbed down.

you know. I've come to realize that I hate marie's eyes. The skull pattern looks cool, but fuck me if it isn't hard to make look right when drawing them.

that's like how I felt when I was drawing Megaman characters.
like suddenly you realize how cumbersome those giant legs are to pose, and how almost every Megaman Zero boss looks super dumb if you view them from the front.

like, I don't even get how you gesture them because it's basically pupil within pupil. it's hurting my head

The list that user posted last thread definitely made me realize two things.
Either SG is doing insanely good for a 5-year old FG.
or the FG scene as a whole is in a lot of trouble past the top 2 games.

>or the FG scene as a whole is in a lot of trouble past the top 2 games.
Oh yeah, we definitely are.

What can we do? It's really the only multiplayer genre that interests me, but I guess somehow everyone got into those Mooba things instead.

>What can we do?
Not much I'd wager. Grow locals, play games, don't become /r/Kappa.

Reality is we will always be at the whims of the top dogs more or less.

I wonder what will happen if/when the AAA game industry implodes. Will people be drawn to smaller games then?
I guess that's thinking way too far in the future. You're right that the best we can do is just keep playing games.

Veeky Forums has been wishing for the death of the AAA >tfw 2010 was 7 years ago game industry for the last decade. I don't think it's gonna happen.

The most important thing you can do is support your local scene. Turnout is everything.

Wow really? It just seems like everything gets ragged on these days, big or small.
I don't really want AAA to implode, but the budgets look unsustainable without DLC sales. Capcom FGs used to be all about presentation and even they've been missing the mark. I guess games like MHW are the future?

Wish me luck guys, I'm gonna propose to Thorani. Hope she says yes.

At least you know she's wet when she sees you.

twitter.com/Skarmand/status/940845716733382657

Any thoughts here on the Mr. Wizard tweet about MvCI? I saw Skullgirls come up a lot in the reactions, and I think even Mike Z replied.

At this point I just want Capcucks to know how it feels to get shut out from the big stage. Let them be as miserable as we are.

Dope
I don't really have much to say on the matter. Marvel's dead and the SG community shouldn't gloat on it is about as far as I go

Not gonna lie, I kind of feel the same way, but not out of spite. Just...so they might finally understand, is all.
I hate the "dead game" meme, and I want them to know why it hasn't helped any of our scenes over the years.
But for a lot of them, seems like they won't really understand until they experience it for a game they love.

But maybe saying we're miserable for being shut out is a bit harsh. Even if we had made it to EVO I still think a lot of our year's highlights would be from Combo Breaker. UFGT/CB was always better.

Did you propose?

Have to go to bed now, but hopefully we can talk some more tomorrow /lzg/

Sure user.
I will try to sleep as well. SCP session was sorta spooky tho

No. I was all ready and pumped up and then I saw her and lost all my confidence.

don't give up user!

holy crap

youtube.com/watch?v=UtH5DsH3oVY

Who is the beSG?
(best SG)

thats cute

genjubox.tumblr.com/image/168497289296

which indivisible would be the best at doing the clearest run in the backer preview?

twitter.com/770mk/status/940944971091271680

it should be illegal to be this cute

ajna

it technically already is. the canopy kingdom goes after the undead with extreme scrutiny.

hebiniwa.tumblr.com/post/168502552551/copy-out-drawing-not-looling

neko-devil.tumblr.com/post/168500365759

which sg is the most cowboy

youtube.com/watch?v=Ge3DFWCYU7w

if kreig could talk, what would he say?

Mmmh, yeah i like this

I hope its finished soon

I'm gonna do fukua's other soul in there, too. so it'll probably be finished later than sooner.

Whats going on

Double

remember
no one likes a stream monster

fix'd the weiner

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODS

theres nothing illegal going on there

that's a cute squigly.

it's comforting to know that somewhere in the world, a cute squigly is being drawn

what about lewd squigly

twitter.com/VA_JO/status/940852212200243200

lewd squiglys mean our society is crumbling.