/aog/ Attorney Online General

New mods edition.

/aog/ is a place to primarily discuss Attorney Online but also Ace Attorney in general.
Whether you want to talk about your favorite cases or characters it's all welcome here.

>What is Attorney Online?

In short: It's multiplayer Ace Attorney.
AO is a virtual chatroom/courtroom mix which we use to perform improvised AA-like trials, Civil Cases, Class Trials, Jury Cases, Investigations and more! Choose from a wide selection of AA characters (and guest characters), pick a position (Defence, Prosecution, Judge, Witness, etc.) and dive into a whirlwind of logic, banter, theories and memes.

Come join us on our server:
Attorney Online Vidya (Dedicated)

>The Main Reference Doc (contains AO downloads, rules, FAQs, polls and more):
docs.google.com/document/d/13DDwBcpxQp3p7AQDSLLf6TysJTsDr_EbypQs45zHZ-4/edit
Be sure to check there for the Quickstart Guide!

>Gameplay footage?
You can find a list of streamers and recorders for a general time frame here:
pastebin.com/kg2VnSYd

Alternatively, you can look through our Case Archive to find completed documents and recordings of cases:
ace-attorney-vidya.wikia.com/wiki/Case_Archives

>Archive Initiative (for case recordings)
drive.google.com/open?id=0B1A-2r36taNbZEM5Q3dGVXFIZnc

>How to create black footage for the 3DS games
docs.google.com/document/d/1k5wNNmF2-i6U4AI0zI7dkIJK9iChx36k2e3VW1bzofk/edit#

>News
Continuity Update featuring Yu, better Barnham, and Maya from PLvAA!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wM-XhQeFzW4
docs.google.com/document/d/19IaqlH9_uLkNy5JU5NTnjGEZR1XJmJWuM-1iO_0PeQM/edit
youtube.com/watch?v=cdKnOyysq4I
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

b-but those are the mods leaving!

Any good cases this week?

And they will always remain in our memory.

Never forget
youtube.com/watch?v=wM-XhQeFzW4

Last night had a competent, quick case with a good DA

bro was a bro

F

Well, I will foresee a lot of "WAKE ME UP"

Monday had the greatest Christmas case of the year.

Anyone know when that one's going up on youtube

Why?

New mods are memesters

[non-shitpost quality post that contributes to discussion alert]

Thesis: Threads are not well executed in AOV and that's a flaw inherent to our casing style. Therefore they should be removed

I will now explain why

You all know the classic criticism on detectives about how they decrease witness freedom by eliminating possibilities. Detective lovers usually reply to this by saying that only bad detectives do that, and that there are good ones out there who do it decently. This is utterly false and I will present MY criticism to detectives here

My biggest criticism is that detectives only have two choices:
a) Be a completely useless waste of time that simply lists all evidence on the document
b) Actually bring more information to the table, but, in exchange, end up limiting the witnesses

There is no way to escape this undeniable fate in improvs. Detectives will either read the evidence table to players in a badly written 16 statements long testimony full of ""funny"" fillers, or they will actually add details that are not in the evidence. For example, assume there is a bowl of noodles on the evidence, and it is not specified where it was found. So the defense asks the detective where it was, and they answer "oh we found this on the table". This could actually hurt a witness. I say this out of personal experience since in a recent case I testified about seeing an object in place X, and they objected since the detective apparently replied during the CE that it was at Y and this was not specified at the evidence.

Now, if the detective instead replied "Uhh... I don't remember where I found the bowl haha maybe a witness will explain" then what is the point of a detective? They can't say anything that isn't in the evidence, why do you need one?

In my next post, I will explain how detectives used to be played while still maintaining some usefulness at pre-AOV times, and how the AA games use them

Shut up Lupa

Allow me to explain how detectives used to work in AA and pre-AOV servers like Cookie Conglomerate, this is very important and is deeply related to case meta

You start the case with the premise that the evidence is solid and sufficient by itself to convict the defendant. The prosecution gives a brief explanation of each piece of evidence (something that detectives do in AOV), and then the detective actually makes use of each evidence to construct a theory on how the defendant killed the victim

Understand? Basically:
a) Prosecutors present the evidence and explain them
b) Detectives build a theory using the evidence prosecutors presented
*One presents it, the other puts it to use!*

Now, here is the catch, you are playing Ace Attorney, so you, as defense attorney, work under the premise that your client is not guilty, and therefore that the evidence must be insufficient to convict your client. So you cross examine the detective and prove that there is a glaring hole in the evidence, *A HOLE THAT CAN ONLY BE FILLED WITH WITNESSES*! And that's from where the need for witness comes from!

This is how Cookie Conglomerate and other pre-AOV servers cased, especially since they tried to imitate AA.

Here in AOV we currently case in a quite soulless manner. The only purpose of prosecutors is disagreeing with the defense, they do not present evidence or anything. And the detectives just describe the evidence. And from where do witnesses come from? Well, in AOV you all know the classic rule, "the defense has the right to a witness!" (which would be bullshit in any ace attorney game and you all know it).

There are also rare exceptions in AA where the evidence itself is not sufficient to convict the defendant from the start. There is no contradiction in the detective too, but he still presents a theory on how the crime carried out, then you continue to fill the gapes with a witness.

Either way I hope my contribution is food for thought on improving the cases

Shut up Lupa

Fuck off.

We can only change the mindset of the players by playing differently, no matter how much they kick and scream.

It's called leading by example.

>You all know the classic criticism on detectives about how they decrease witness freedom by eliminating possibilities.
But that applies to ANYONE who goes up to the stand and gives information about the crime, because you have to eliminate possibilities by picking one when you testify. To blame solely detectives for this is a deeply flawed stance. Anything you say about detectives in general can also apply to witnesses, and vice versa, because the detective IS a witness, even if not a direct one, which leads to the true problem with detectives: people have stopped treating them as witnesses and have tried making them into their own thing, which has warped them into the cold, unfeeling evidence dispensing robots they are now

>threads are not well executed in AOV and that's a flaw
I meant detectives**, detectives are not well executed

You are right, I've thought about signing up as a detective and then just playing as a witness instead but I'm sure people would actually report me to the mods and I could even get banned for doing it, so instead I'll just try being the best detective I can be in our current improv format

The difference here is that detectives on AOV are treated as the one source of unbiased completely reliable fact in the entire case

Because prosecutors are winstreak fags who treat cases as PVP

Your mistake here is mistaking the detective for a witness, if you read murder mysteries (especially Agatha Christie's stories, she is the one who influenced Ace Attorney) you will know there is a gigantic difference between the roles of a witness and the roles of a detective

Witnesses are the characters of the story you are investigating, whereas the detective tries to understand these characters

Now I ask you, how can the detective, who has the role of understanding how things happened, possibly DECIDE how witnesses should behave? That's such an aberration for murder mysteries! Witnesses are the ones who "limit" the detective since the detective is limited to interpreting their actions

Detectives work in pre-writtens and AA canon trials because the story is already drawn and told in the writer's head, the actions of the characters of the story (the witnesses) are already drawn and carried out, so the detective can't possibly interfere in their freedom

We must understand that improvs work differently, it is very important to allow witnesses to have absolute freedom and breathing room, and to remember that the detective is there to investigate and interpret, not to build facts

Please post more. Reading this is expanding my mind so much. I have never tried to rationalize the roles like that before.

>Thesis: Threads are not well executed in AOV and that's a flaw inherent to our casing style. Therefore they should be removed
Casing style has nothing to do with the thread being bad, and those posts are too short to be a thesis, though.

>16 statements long
This I agree with, without poking fun at your post. Some detectives and witnesses, too many in fact, write too many statements, statements that are usually small paragraphs at that, and some people try too hard to be funny or gimmicky with their testimonies. Having even one such person may drag a case out to five hours, and having two not only guarantees it, but gives you the unpleasant chance at experiencing an 8 hour case. Shoutout to user from a few threads ago who talked about how neets want people to fill their day for them.

Witnesses need to bear in mind, too, that they don't need-need to be hard, and for first witness it should be discouraged. Vague or abstract gimmicks are partly to blame, but first witness has no business being as hard as a final boss last testimony. And even for a last testimony, read the mood, most of the time, if you're giving a last testmony, everyone's pretty much convinced you did it, you just need to wrap it up and clear the last fragment of doubt.

>Because prosecutors are winstreak fags who treat cases as PVP
It's not "prosecutors". It's "players". There's a few career prosecutors who play like this, but a lot of people just pick it up and assume that's how they play because they don't know any better, and can't be bothered searching up and reading the guides.

Really, people just need to get better at roleplaying. That's pretty much the bottom line here, no matter aspect of the game we discuss. We should figure out some small straightforward RP formats, so people can roleplay without a competitive goal and learn to work with eachother solely for fun, because normal casing creates the woeful illusion in some people's minds of that win-loss scenario.

>correcting yourself
>original statement wasn't wrong though

>Casing style has nothing to do with the thread being bad, and those posts are too short to be a thesis, though.
Sorry, I meant "detectives", not threads

>We should figure out some small straightforward RP formats, so people can roleplay without a competitive goal and learn to work with eachother solely for fun,
Whose Court
Decision Game

>Because prosecutors are winstreak fags who treat cases as PVP
I know I keep talking about how pre-AOV was better but this one is a thing that was much worse in pre-AOV, you have no idea

People would main roles, I shit you not, they'd be "main defense attorneys" or "main prosecutors", and they would keep win records on an excel sheet, and some servers would make rankings with their "victories"

I am glad we never went through that phase or even got close to it, our pvp prosecutors are annoying at best, not autistic

>if you read murder mysteries (especially Agatha Christie's stories, she is the one who influenced Ace Attorney) you will know there is a gigantic difference between the roles of a witness and the roles of a detective
The role of "detective" isn't that of any and all literal detectives, police or otherwise, but as the person who endeavors to solve the mystery, which is most obviously the defense attorney in AA and AO, who uses evidence, testimony, and contradictions to come to the truth of the case. In fact, in most murder mysteries, both classic and modern, the "detective" main character works with the help of, but very clearly separately from the normal police force, which would be what we have as the detective in cases. You wouldn't call the police being consulted about the state of the body the 'main character' of a murder mystery by any stretch of the imagination. They perform the exact same role as witnesses do: giving valuable information to the investigators to help solve the mystery.
In short, the mistake is not on my end, but on yours, for thinking your Hercule Poirot's and Sherlock Holmes' are situated on the witness stand in court, and not on the defense bench.

I agree that the defense does the job of a detective much more than the actual detective we have in Ace Attorney, and that Sherlock Holmes would be standing in the defense bench (just like he did in a few stories) and not on the witness stand, but this does not mean the detective has the freedom to limit the witnesses and decide how they behave. The detective is still limited to interpreting the actions and clues left by witnesses, not the other way around (witnesses interpreting what the detective said and then acting like he said)

It's fine, I realised shortly after that you made some sort of mistake when you were writing. It happens to me sometimes too, where I write something, and reading it later, it turns out to be gibberish.

>Whose Court
Yup, it's very good. I feel as though it's been run a lot less lately, though. There's no reason why it shouldn't be a daily thing, though, and I'd be happy to run it when I'm not so busy. I wish I ran one an hour ago, now, instead of browsing this place.

>Decision Game
I don't see a lot of simple roleplay in DGs, to be honest. It also suffers from the same as normal trials and class trials, in that someone can die or lose, and people stuck in that mindset will continue to get upset.

It can be really cooperative, but I don't see it happen that often, and it's not as actively cooperative as whose court. Whose court's also really good, because you can just tell people to do something with someone other than their close friends, (and in a normal trial, these people would be on the same bench), and that gets people talking. Then, when those people go do a normal trial, they might not be at eachother's throats.

Objectively correct, your thesis is wasted here tho

>There's no reason why it shouldn't be a daily thing, though
Because when it was people naturally got sick of it and it died out.
It seems to come back intermittently.
I like it too which is why you don't want to overdo it.

>wasted here
No, people who play the game do read the thread despite the poisoning of the well attempts.

So Hologram Holocaust was never recorded. Feels really bad, man.

>Tfw someone did just that last night with a detective and prosecutor
>Everyone loved it in the case
>People still want to complain because of who it was that actually showed us that we don't need to use detectives the way we have been.
It felt like watching an actual AA case for a moment there.

I'm not a fan of the burnout meme, to be honest. When I see a normal case starting, if it's not something that deeply interests me, I do something else. I don't join simply to try and make it interesting for myself, because that will make the other people bored because they made something different.

And yet, normal cases are run almost daily, and have been for the past two years. I have another point to make here, but I can't put it into exact words, support pls help

>was never recorded
So, it never happened. Got it.

Remember the 6 million views, /aov/!

I personally don't get bored of Whose Court, I always enjoy it everytime, though sometimes it depends on the King.
I'd like to see it more often though anything is better than mafia

>The detective is still limited to interpreting the actions and clues left by witnesses
You're still mistaking the role of the police detective in AO with the detective role in mysteries. Besides, as I said before, anyone who comes up to the stand first, detective or otherwise, will have to dictate the actions and limit the possibilities of anyone who comes up after them (provided everything they say isn't proven to be completely false).

However, to your credit, I will agree that detectives as they are typically played now are deeply flawed. My quarrel is with your idea that the issue lies with the very existence of the role, and not the duties it has taken upon itself, and the players who misuse it.

This thread absolutely does not deserve good posts like this.

docs.google.com/document/d/19IaqlH9_uLkNy5JU5NTnjGEZR1XJmJWuM-1iO_0PeQM/edit
This shit literally happened last night. As long as we do detective testimonies like this, and the prosecution can function like this one did.
We would not have such a bad meta.

Fuck off.

>Gumshoe even busted in with case saving evidence when the witness tried to leave
10/10

That's perfect and absolutely what I had in mind, and I did not even participate in that case, what a funny coincidence

I'd be down for two short testimonies or similar for detective.
So long as the contradiction is easy enough that we don't crash before even first wit it'd be fine.

It takes smart case building to do that though, something we don't have.

What we do a lot is throw a lot of random, unrelated evidence, and most of it are things like notes, documents, random information and such. That's hardly contradiction material since witnesses can't interact these objects

Yo, what the shit, I just downloaded the client again after like 2 years, and it says the archive can't be opened. Did I just get a corrupted download or something? Used the "Full Game" download link.

>it depends on the King.
Definitely.

While King's on the table, I also think some people get stuck in it when they'd rather be playing, too. People get bored, and everyone else will as that person runs out of fresh ideas. One or two rounds as King is enough. Then, someone else should do it, really.

It's a fun thing to do, too, so people should want to be King. I remember sometimes, people would react as though they'd been stung by a blue emperor scorpion or something when it was suggested that they do it, or people would wait around waiting for someone to do it. Even done badly, it's still fun to see and be part of.

>It's a defense gives their card to a tragic final boss to defend them in court case
Oh my god I can't believe I missed this case.

Use the latest version of winrar.

Probably, but try using winrar if it's a .rar.

youtube.com/watch?v=cdKnOyysq4I
the recording of the case posted earlier

>Verin case
So it was shit?
Got you, senpai.

I wish Verin would stop ousting himself.

There is still a way to get out of this mess. Just pick detective and play like that one Gumshoe does. Very short testimony that is just a theory on how the crime went down, always limiting itself to the evidence. Put a contradiction that requires witnesses to fill the gaps. If someone complains about how you are not being a evidence listing machine, tell them to fuck off.

Don't compare me to that faggot.
I can shit on his cases if I feel like it.
You can't stop me anyway, Bro could not stop me.

Presumably they actually want to play rather than King though they could also just multiclient because who cares really.
Not like it's hard, just know when to end a game.

I look forward to seeing it pop up more, at any rate.

>Velocipede pulled double shift and did both roles well.
Huh, he /can/ learn.

Winrar worked. Dope.

I'll add it to the growing list of "roles I want to lead by example with when I get the chance, but can't because fuck my schedule"

I'm sure you do.

Typical Cat.

Shut the fuck up. I'm so tired of being disrespected on this goddamn server. All I wanted to do was post my opinion. MY OPINION. But no, you little bastards think it's "hilarious" to mock those with good opinions. My opinion. while not absolute, is definitely worth the respect to formulate an ACTUAL FUCKING RESPONSE AND NOT JUST A SHORT MEME OF A REPLY. I've been on this server for 2 years: 2 YEARS and I have never felt this wronged. It boils me up that I could spend so much time thinking and putting effort into things while you shits sit around (probably jerking off to Uendo or whatever trapshit you like) and make fun of the intellectuals of this world. I've bored you? Good for fucking you. Literally no one cares that your little brain is to underdeveloped and rotted to comprehend my idea...MY GREAT GREAT IDEA. I could sit here all day whining, but I won't. I'm NOT a whiner. I'm a realist and an intellectual. I know when to call it quits and to leave the babybrains to themselves. I'm done with this goddamn server and you goddamn immature children. I have lived my life up until this point having to deal with memesters and idiots like you. I know how you work. I know that you all think you're
"epik trolls" but you're not. You think you baited me? NAH. I've never taken any bait. This is my 100% real opinion divorced from anger. I'm calm, I'm serene. I LAUGH when people imply I'm intellectually low enough to take bait. I always choose to reply just to spite you. I won. I've always won. Losing is not in my skillset. So you're probably gonna reply "lol epik trolled" or "u mad bro" but once you've done that you've shown me I've won. I've tricked the trickster and conquered memery. I live everyday growing stronger to fight you plebs and low level trolls who are probably 11 (baby, you gotta be 18 to use AOV). But whatever, I digress. It's just fucking annoying that I'm never taken serious on this site, goddamn.

>Gato posted this shit in discord
>It gets posted here
Hum?

imagine the ass chaffing you would have to have to post this

Listen up Verin I'm calling you out. I think you are the shittiest person in our fucking community right now. Oh yes, indeed. Worst than rhoda even, and that my boy is saying something. From the minute you pissed rhoda off I asked him what you messaged him in private, and he was more than happy to show me. I think people will be QUITE interested in it. Indeed.

So let's fucking settle this once and for all. I'm going to face off with you on this autistic court simulator. The case will be in two weeks and more details will be posted soon. The verdict will decide whether you post the conversation, or I do. I think people will be QUITE interested in it. Indeed.

Tata for now.

I sure hope you're being retarded on purpose right now, my dude.

Post it then.
Because as soon as you do, Rhoda gets banned for spreading private things again.
You would think he learned the first time.

Listen up bro I'm calling you out. I think you are the shittiest person in our fucking community right now. Oh yes, indeed. Worst than rhoda even, and that my boy is saying something. From the minute you pissed rhoda off I asked him what you messaged him in private, and he was more than happy to show me. I think people will be QUITE interested in it. Indeed.

So let's fucking settle this once and for all. I'm going to face off with you on this autistic court simulator. The case will be in two weeks and more details will be posted soon. The verdict will decide whether you post the conversation, or I do. I think people will be QUITE interested in it. Indeed.

Tata for now.

>mods banning someone over something not in game or on the discord

really activated my almonds

well, generally being banned from discord doesn't mean you're banned from the server, just from the discord.

Posting something said outside of the community discord to the thread or community discord is releasing private information. Which is against the rules and something Rhoda has gotten in trouble for before.
You figured they would learn, but with all this "Mastermind" talk they keep autistically spreading, it's obvious they want to be banned.

Listen up Mango, Emm, Juza, Rae, and Frozen I'm calling you all out. I think you are all the shittiest people in our fucking community right now. Oh yes, indeed. Worst than rhoda even, and that my boys is saying something. From the minute you collectively pissed rhoda off I asked him what you guys messaged him in private, and he was more than happy to show me. I think people will be QUITE interested in it. Indeed.

So let's fucking settle this once and for all. I'm going to face off with all of you on this autistic court simulator. The CT will be in two weeks and more details will be posted soon. The improv'd blackened will decide whether you all post the conversation, or I do. I think people will be QUITE interested in it. Indeed.

Tata for now.

>I post it in the thread
>I am the one making it public
>Rhoda shows the crusty hag the message where he sends me the conversation
>I get banned

>Believing anything Berin tells rhoda.
Is there screenshots to back up his confession?
And I don't mean screenshots of him saying it, I mean screenshots he gave Rhoda of him doing whatever it is?
Because if not, this reeks of him lying for attention or to get someone in trouble.
Huh, never thought he had it in him to attempt to trick someone like that,

>when you sign up as a meme role just to kick a kiddy fiddler in the teeth

>Verin attempting to get Rhoda in trouble
Wew.
I don't think he has ever been that smart.

He talked about bdsm with his girlfriend and showed Rhoda the scards on his chest, butt and dick to prove it.

Pics? I've always wondered how small his pecker was.

What?

Kristoph "Have you ever wanted a loli?" Gavin was being a huge meme with his pedophile gimmick, and no one was stopping him, so I signed up as bailiff to kick his shit in IC

dual destinies emulation when

ok verin

when citra isn't a piece of shit

Alternatively, smartphone emulation

Wew, this salt

>Verin's shitty witnessing crashes another case
Well then.

>child molester Kristoph was actually useful for a turn
>Trucy gets butthurt for some reason
>case crashes after Kristoph rapes Trucy to death
>after the end, Kristoph completely spergs the fuck out on Trucy and leaves
Absolute madman, or absolutely mad man?

his gimmick was shit

Hello, Reddit.

Hi, Verin.

>another Verin rape case
You've gotta be kidding me.

He's one fucked up dude

>he thinks Verin was the one doing the raping

Nvm installing the CIA now eat shit nintendo

>it's another retard making a pseudo-intellectual rant with his """valuable""" insight post

>It's another shitposter shitposting a very valid point to get attention post

I just took the time to read the post just now and I actually end up agreeing with it.