/wfhg/ - Work From Home General

Starting another /wfhg/ as the last one was really helpful.

To the user that recommended Rev, thanks! I've made $40 today, which isn't much yet I guess but I just moved up to Revver. The problem is that there are less videos to caption at this level than there were in Rookie. I feel like I won't have enough to get to Revver+ :/
I figure if I can do this every day for 6-8 hours I can make $1500-1800 /m and move out to some cheap country and never have to wageslave again.

Any other online jobs you guys do?

Other urls found in this thread:

modsquad.com/join-the-mods/
npcontactcenter.com/career-opportunities/
rev.com/freelancers
tutor.com/apply
3playmedia.com/company/jobs/contract-work/
leapforceathome.com/qrp/public/jobs/list
cf-public.rev.com/captions/styleguide/Rev Captioning Style Guide 3.2.pdf
skillsyouneed.com/write/punctuation1.html
youtube.com/watch?v=_E_P9ExnNUg&t=43s
sihanoukvilleproperty.com/view-property-807
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How long did it take you to work at rev for captioning after applying? I currently write on the side for fun money, but rev seems a lot more flexible since sometimes writing an article can take longer than its worth.

I passed the first round within a few hours. Then the second round one or two days. I was surprised at how quick it was!

Where do you write?

I write at textbroker. I've heard constant content and websites that you write school homework are supposedly better and higher paying, but I was really burned out of the application process and am just a lucky streak away from getting 5 stars on textbroker so I have stayed on it.

I do it exclusively for side money, so I just do the easiest jobs I can find and just do 1 article a day. I usually stick to the easy jobs summarizing other articles / rewriting them so I can get them out in 20-30 minutes. It's not consistent though, not like I imagine captioning would be, so i'd prefer something more consistent.

>I figure if I can do this every day for 6-8 hours I can make $1500-1800 /m and move out to some cheap country and never have to wageslave again.
>make $1500 /m... and never have to wageslave
mate, you should watch a few videos of people claiming to be digital nomads in chiang mai thailand and see that their lifestyle is shit. except for the weather and food and cheap beer, it is shit.
they are doing less than minimum wage jobs with no security and living paycheck to paycheck and maybe eating into their savings and having to do border runs.
you can work from home and make decent money, but you need some skills beyond pajeet tier grinding.

I have my adsense money running fully on autopilot since 2014. My only 'job' is keeping my servers in good health and occasionally analyzing logs and banning some IPs

Revenue is nothing good but If I move to Indonesia I would have more than three times average salary doing nothing

How did you get accepted by Rev? I did everything right and got rejected.

Since you guys talk about countries... can you register and work on that site from outside of the US? Asking from a smaller European country.

How much does Textbroker pay? Might give that a go too.

That's disheartening. Well I'm looking to start investing, working on a dropship store too. No idea if it will work out but trying different things out.

I have really good grammar and write well so the tests were super simple to me, though I did get rejected from the transcription jobs. I don't know man.

Yep, I'm in the UK. I think you can work from any country as long as your English is good.

aside from the obvious fact that thailand is mostly a shithole outside of tourist areas, you have to basically go on tourist mode for your entire stay there if you want to survive in a moderately first world way.

but what you really need is savings. my actual income is all over the place due to the nature of what i do, but i have enough assets that it wouldn't matter if it dropped to nothing for a long while.

just assume pajeet is going to take all your work from you for half a year or more. if that scares you then you shouldnt think about living elsewhere.

Do I need to not be a social retard to tutor on nicetalk? I'm also not a native english speaker btw
I just got rejected for transcripter and captioner. A 100$/week as a student in a shitty country would be amazing. Any tips?

I do like textbroker for side money, but it takes a while to get rolling. I am currently a 4 star author so I make a bit more than where you will potentially start (3 star author) and dramatically more than if you get unlucky with your writing application (1 and 2 stars).

I can write out a summary article, check for plagarism, proofread and edit, etc. in 30-40 minutes and usually make 5-8 dollars from it. The pay is pretty decent as far as side money websites go, but i've heard other websites pay out more and may just be worth considering over textbroker.

This is especially considering it could take a month before you become a 4 star author. If you become a 5 star author though this becomes really profitable, perhaps even moreso than most low tier day jobs.

Thing is that it's not very consistent because the super easy write-ups aren't always available, and sometimes you need to learn about subjects you don't know too much about. A good learning opportunity certainly, but it can take too long to write out something too for it to be profitable.

I'd do some research on other websites (namely constant content and also websites where you write school homework), because i've heard you can make a lot more from them. I only stick with TB because I make enough to be satisfied, have 4 stars, and only do it a short time every day for side money anyway.

What kind of sites do you run? how many of them?

OP of the first thread here dropping some more options.

Metaverse Mod Squad -
modsquad.com/join-the-mods/

New Prospect Marketing -
npcontactcenter.com/career-opportunities/

Audio Transcription, Captioning and Translation -
rev.com/freelancers

Online tutoring -
tutor.com/apply

3Play audio transcription -
3playmedia.com/company/jobs/contract-work/

Leapforce independent contractor -
leapforceathome.com/qrp/public/jobs/list

Have you actually tried all of these? How do they compare to Rev?

>he thinks working for 6-8 hours a day in the third world is escaping wagecuckery

Working from home is stupid, might as well just benefit scrounge

dumb

the key is "working" from home should mean you dont actually have to work a full day, or even half. if you're working from home but still doing a 9 to 5 you should probably re-think it.

Ya I'm pretty sure you could live in a third world shithole while working 2-3 hours per day on any of the sites posted here.

who really wants to live in the third world though?

I think about it all the time, head down to Mexico and buy decent land to make my own. Become self sustaining and earn some cash on the side online.

It's much better than living in a first world country if you do it the right way. It gives a satisfying feeling. Good weather and easy poontang. I've been travelling the world for a year now. No way I'm going back no matter what shitty job I have to do. Freedom doesn't necessarily come with a million dollars. You have to create your own feeling of freedom doing what you like.

if you want to be completely off the grid it sounds ok. id rather just move country every few months and still spend a few months of the year back in the us.

travelling sounds fine, but settling down in a third world country sounds dire.

That's true. That's why I keep exploring new places all the time. And I don't live like a backpacker. Would still be comfortable with settling down in a second world country though. Best buy for your back and not such unreasonable circumstances like a 3rd world country. Surprisingly enough it's also really difficult to settle down in a 3rd world country

>if you're working from home but still doing a 9 to 5 you should probably re-think it

I actually do not mind being a wagie, except for the part where crippling social anxiety makes it hard for me to succeed at interviews.

I got rejected from Rev, and plan to apply second time, the only thing I struggle is punctuation and where to break captions, can someone recommend a program or site to check punctuation?

some tips on that:

>don't include things like um/oh/you know
>break captions before words like and/for/that
>break captions after a punctuation mark like a full stop, comma, etc
>break captions when there's a natural pause in speech

As a heads up, Google any lyrics that appear in a video. I just captioned a Mr Rogers' Neighborhood episode, and found entire songs online. Sometimes you can find full subs which is rare but awesome.

Also you can speed up the videos up to 2x, which is great when there isn't much speech or they're talking slowly.

Good luck user!

Also just to add, apart from starting new speakers' captions, don't use "-" anywhere.

Put the person's name or identifier in [ ] brackets only if they start speaking when you can't see them, and then only once for each person.

If the video starts with someone speaking over a video, use [Voiceover].

That should over it, but he's a doc they put together for all the rules:
cf-public.rev.com/captions/styleguide/Rev Captioning Style Guide 3.2.pdf

Job security really is shit, also the income isnt very high but you can definitely have a comfy life there. Contrary to popular belief Thailand is not a shithole.

Starting from 1200 USD per month income you can live there pretty decently, 3000 USD and higher you live like king.

I'm a web app penetration tester for 2 separate companies, 1 full time, the other part time. I also consult for a video game anti-cheat company every few weeks.

I pull between 8 and 9 grand a month after Uncle Sam dips into my pockets, and I work from home.

Thank you so much, sonehow I missed this guide on their site. Can you recommend me a method to check punctuation? I really struggle with commas and sometimes even dots, I'm not native speaker, but I speak and recognize English pretty well, but struggle with punctuation becouse I rarely write

Hmm. Well just add a full stop to whenever there's a pause in the sentence and the next sentence doesn't start with "and" or "but".

But I've noticed that full stops and commas don't really matter on Rev, as long as it looks about right. Human speech is different to how we write. You technically shouldn't start a sentence with "and" or "but", but when we talk we often do.

In Rev videos, sometimes people trail off, are interrupted, etc. Just try to be accurate overall, write what you hear and basically:
>add a comma when there's a pause
>add a full stop when there's a pause AND it seems like the end of a sentence topic.

This is quite a good explanation: skillsyouneed.com/write/punctuation1.html

Don't bother with semicolons, colons, or anything else.

Thank you user, I know it isn't much but have a pic of my cat, also good luck in future endeavours

You're welcome user, good luck in passing the test!

And here's a picture of my cat in return.

Does ANYONE know ANTYHING about working as a translator for Rev?
I have applied before checking Rev's abysmal reputation both from the customer and employee side, and since the Translator application is the only one without a test connected to it, I kind of got curious.

But I can't find anything.
Every single site like Glassdoor (and there's a shitton) only has dozens of reviews for captioner and transcriber jobs.
But I can't find a single person who has worked for Rev as a translator. Why?
Has anyone here ever had any experience with translating for them? Or knows why absolutely no one in years has ever written a review about it?
I mean, the reviews about the shit pay are discouraging, but it's par of the course for jobs that require no qualifications or skills.
Conversely, their 0.7c per word rate for translation is amazing for this kind of site, so I'm left wondering why there's absolutely zero reviews, good or bad.

My languages are Japanese, Italian and English, in case it matters.

>rev graders holding a meeting.webm

There aren't many reviews for Rev as it is, and translation's the least applied-to category, so I can see why there's no reviews.

Much less people know other languages well enough than they know how to write words they hear.

Revo has existed for 9 years, has been incorporated for 6, and the absolutely youngest glassdoor-like site to register it has done do at least 3 years ago.

There is approximately 400 compounded reviews from employees.
Of these, around 350 are trom captioners/transcriptioners.
Not ONE is for translation.

I know it must be a less populated position since there's a higher skill barrier, but still, not even ONE review?
Not a single account of anyone working in that position in 9 years?
In 9 years?

>move out to some cheap country and never have to wageslave again

Please elaborate

>keeping my servers in good health

I have a website I made a few weeks ago. Wordpress, shared hosting account. I feel like I don't do anything tech-y myself and everything has a one-click solution. Is server stuff something I have to/should learn to do? Do I need equipment or just my laptop? My goal is to become a digital nomad, not the meme-y chiang mai type though. I'm wanting to have 3 different types of income, 2 "work" type things and then general investment passive income. Mine is based on content writing. I'm an excellent researcher and writer but new to tech stuff.

>adsense

I can't quite wrap my head around it that people click on ads and then buy the product. I get stuff like amazon associates because buyer intent, and hell just their normal purchases after clicking your link and storing that 24 hr cookie. But is adsense really a thing that works? More than just a few pennies now and then?

What type of website is it?

Don't bother with adsense if you aren't gonna be pulling thousands of users weekly. You will be literally making pennies.

Just find a way to monetize you content with affiliate products or your own products.

Just applied for the transcription thing. Grammar test was easy but the actual transcribing part was hard as fuck. There was even a part where I couldn't hear what was being said. We'll see if I get accepted.

no onsite shit at all? i assume its a smaller firm? most people i know pen testing full time end up doing a lot of on site work and hours of boring report writeups.

if youre just using wordpress you dont need a server use some static hosting shit and throw it on github or some other free static hosting page that lets you link your domain to it

"it could take a month"

I became a 4-star simply with my first writing sample, am I underrating my abilities here? Most of the articles up for grabs are still so specific/technical that they don't seem worth it.

i work for leapforce and it used to be a livable wage but our hours are getting cut to 26/week soon.

What kind of hourly wage do you make there? Im thinking of switching from rev.

in the us it's 13.50 an hour

I worked in an office and it killed my will to live. Having to pretend I care about the company, listen to my colleagues talk shit all day, pretend my boss is god. Have a set time for lunch and small breaks like a fucking child? I felt like a stupid sheep.

I know I still do a monotonous job typing now, but I can do it whenever and wherever I want. I can choose when to wake up, when to eat and when to go to the fucking gym. I don't have to listen to shit music in the office all day or kick my boss's ass.

Unfortunately this doesn't make me enough money to live in Londonstan. So I'm going to have to move somewhere where my $1k is worth more.

Did you get the Boeing one? I found both of them easy but still didn't get in, I don't know why. Good luck user.

Oh that's nice. Shame about the hour cut though, why is that happening?

covering their asses because they really skirt the line of IC and employee and hours over 26 would mean benefits.

>kick my boss's ass.
whoops, meant "kiss", though I certainly want to kick that fucker. Gonna wait a few months and start leaving bad reviews of his company all over the place lol.

I got the Boeing piece and didn't make it in either. I'm positive I aced the grammar test and I spent 30 minutes on a 2.5 minute clip making absolutely sure everything was correct. I must have missed a rule or maybe they're not hiring.

They're probably not hiring or something. I'm sure mine was almost perfect. My captioning test definitely had more mistakes in it.

Try the captioning, it's easier.

I got in for the transcription and I'm still waiting on the captioning. Donno why you guys didn't. My grammar is pretty average for a college student. Maybe you did the formatting wrong?

Got into both boys

How do you make 6 figures? EASY

break it down like this:

have 8 people pay you $1k per month
or better yet,
have 4 people pay you $2k per month

Go on..

just read books and click the link below ;^)

I thought Rev only had Transcription jobs? What jobs do you do then?

Also since you're from the UK too do you have to change your grammar and spelling to American English?

Cheers

Is there a more punchable human being?

I'm the OG Rev shill from the previous thread. To any of those still interested I posted a video on what to expect for an average captioning job, what good breaks look like, how to do everything more efficiently.

youtube.com/watch?v=_E_P9ExnNUg&t=43s

There's some small mistakes here and there, but the grade I got were all perfect 5's. As long as your formatting's correct and you make your breaks look nice, that's all they seem to really want.

ya, u

Honestly, how hard is the captioning job, and how much can you realistically expect to make a day?

Depending on the videos and how focus I am, at least $60 a day. Captioning isn't hard if you pick videos that won't make you wanna kill yourself. Some videos I can put a TV or a youtube video on low and watch. Others I have to really focus on. Other than that it's easy. I've tried other transcription services and so far this is the easiest/most fun.

How long you been doing it man?

Just read some reviews online and it looks like they have a zero tolerance policy to any sub 4.4 grades, which sounds shit. Do you really get fired from one bad grade?

Also how the fuck is OP planning to pull $1400 a month from this...?

I've only been at it since the end of January, Honestly I don't know if the reviews are being totally accurate, because most of the time I can get away with murder for my captions and other times I don't. I think a few bad grades are fine as long as you don't make any really huge errors. Realistically I think 1400 is possible if you work 6 days a week at 6 to 8 hours. Any higher than that might be possible if you literally caption all day, but good luck doing that without wanting to kill yourself.

>good luck in future endeavours

That's what the Rev team mailed me after they rejected my application

The only remote jobs worth having involve being a full time employee or shit like what Emily Barry does. Shit like Rev and Textbroker won't get you anywhere. Even if you move to a cheap country the sacrifice isn't worth it. Shit healthcare disease paycheck to paycheck living and so on. If you really want to work from home look into something like food vending. It makes you good cash and it is very doable from home. Can set your own hours and travel if you want.

i know somebody who makes $1500/week off UHRS, not sure how many hours they work though.

I did the maths and if you time and grind all the crypto coin faucets you can literally make about $200 a month, which is enough to live in somewhere like SHK in Cambodia.

sihanoukvilleproperty.com/view-property-807

Is that free coins every week? Will new coins offer faucets as well?

Assume you can do it for 10 hours a day non stop you will be fully occupied by all the btc faucet ones really.

does anyone here blog? I have two blogs that just had adsense approval wish me luck!

at least you got accepted by Rev
I got denied even though i did everything right
topkek

I spent hours upon hours on videos, checked everywhere online for those videos and transcriptions, and still failed caption test for Rev twice. Any tips? I also see the same videos every time I do it so I'm already so bored of it i could memorize them...

Good luck bud. I started a blog about cryptos to help noobs get into it. Finding it difficult to make time to write posts though, and not even close to hlthinkijg about monetising it yet.

They have captioning and translation too. For captioning, you get a video and you basically just add subtitles to it. It's easy once you get the hang of it. Sometimes you get a video with barely any speaking. The cartoons and pseudo-religious videos are best because they speak slowly and clearly, and I can speed it up to 200% and get done very fast.

Don't go for the news report ones, they talk over each other at lightning speed.

>Also since you're from the UK too do you have to change your grammar and spelling to American English?
Yep. It autocorrects it for you though.

There are also some British TV videos there which no one seems to take as most people on Rev are Murrican and can't clearly understand British English. They're super easy too if you're used to the accent.

>food vending
Can you explain further please?

holy feck

Too unstable of a job, and $200 a month is dogshit. Did you mean week?

Did you guys fail on the first or second test? It might not be the captioning, but that part where they ask you to write a bit about a topic (I had to write about my home town). I love writing and it's my strongest point so I passed that.

I want to get into blogging, but all the times I've tried I've abandoned it. It gets monotonous and feels worthless when all I get is a few views a week.

how many other bloggers are you connected too, I'd be happy to plug one of your stories in my next post, whats the blog?

Its less about content and more about promotion, if you have 3-4 solid articles a month and connect with other sites and cross promote (and grab all the popular/niche labels) you'll corner a market and dominate, what do you blog about?

they kicked me after second test twice, even though I know I made some mistakes in first one, and checked the second ones thoroughly...

>connect with other sites and cross promote (and grab all the popular/niche labels)
That's my issue. I'm great at writing quality content and putting all I have into the posts, but I am utterly and completely shit at marketing, promoting and connecting. It's an issue that follows me into everything I try, whether it's dropshipping or blogging. No matter how hard I try I can't succeed :/

>what do you blog about?
I ran two blogs. One was about languages, the other about fitness.

Damn, man. Did you check YouTube for the captions? They're there for the video they give you. There's a part in the beginning that's really technical and it might have been that that got you kicked.

I have checked the transcription for (abound solar) from the yt comments, but it is not entirely correct. there are mistakes like drain > train, etc. There's a decent transcription for the interview one, so there should be no errors.

I couldn't find anything for the preliminary test video.

I don't think i'm suitable for any of these jobs except rev, however i was denied.
I read something about copywriting in the last thread, can anyone explain what it is and if its worthwhile?

>Did you get the Boeing one? I found both of them easy but still didn't get in, I don't know why. Good luck user.
Yup. Got rejected though. I'll probably go for captioning then, should've done so from the beginning but I hadn't read this thread at the time.

>tfw the only thing I'd be interested in blogging in is Skincare and girly shit

Worth it or nah? Already seems pretty saturated, but there isn't a sarcastic beauty blog out there so I guess it could be worth a shot.

From my like 20 years from being on a computer, the only somewhat lucrative ways to make money from your computer are to own a smash hit website that owns a niche, become a ridiculous seller on ebay or craigslist, become a famous twitch streamer, develop a great app....and thats about it.

Websites like freelancer, fiverr, upwork, rev, amazonturk are a gigantic waste of time and you are much better off just getting a wagecuck job.

This. And probably the easiest right now, if you somehow are a symphatic person is Twitch

I'm making 4-5k per month working from home.

5-6k a month working from home

>My setup

doing what?

sysadmin type shit

I've applied for Mod Squad, and Rev.
I'm a bit disheartened that it took me almost 30 minutes to transcribe 2m33s of audio, but I wanted it to be perfect (which I still doubt it was).

Any advice on the other ones?

What are some jobs of this kind that requires no skills at all?

I'm currently studying and I can't have a normal job because of reasons. I have like 4 or 6 hours everyday.

Fucking cap'ed

The only skill I have is that I know spanish very well. I literally do nothing in those hours.

The big question is, do these people use an Oxford comma, or not?

Just apply and if you don't like it, quit.

If you're still here user, how did you get into that industry?
I ask because I'm interested in web security and trying to learn more about how I could freelance and be successful. Are you self-taught? How did you find yourself where you are now?
Thank you.

>CEH?
>CISSP?
>Sanscourses?

I could use a career switch from ASOC security engineer to pen tester or something more security related