Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PJMIB4kE998
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kocek
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ottoman_Grand_Viziers
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

here is the best/only movie i have found on this subject:
youtube.com/watch?v=PJMIB4kE998

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kocek

inb4 Balkanshits flood the thread and claim how it was like a second (technically first) Holocaust and how the evil Turks took a boy from literally every family for centuries.

Fun fact: some families actually bribed the officials to have their boys taken because it allowed the boys to have good life in the administration or the army, instead of slaving away in some god-forsaken village. And yes, the children were not babies, they were mostly around 10, so they knew where they came from.

t. a (nominally) Christian Balkanshit who doesn't like the victim slave meme from school

please help me understand this better - and forgive me for not bringing much to start the thread with, as i have only just begun to researching this.
despite my unfamiliarity in the field: i had of course heard of the famed ottoman janisarries; but i was most surprised to learn they were entirely comprised of greek and slavic stock.
the demographics of this interest me the most, but also the upbringing and lifestyle of these boys.

thankyou.

First - don't use the word "Slavic" as if it means something more than a linguistic term.

Second - the (teenage) boys were taken and put into schools, no different than any other military boys school which existed everywhere at different eras. Then they were converted to Islam and put into training. Some were taken for the administration, some were taken into the Janissary army.

thank you for of contribution toward balance, bro. i understand the heat of the topic: and have myself heard the tales of the grandmothers. despite my own bias: i am out for the truth.
you would like that movie i posted: (its not propaganda-tier) it has a (((venitian))) who joined the turks for opportunism.

careful not to counter-signal too hard now

notice the hat of the receiving boy in this post
and of the first two pictures itt:
i believe this may be useful/crucial in identifying them.
if anyone knows about ottoman fashion: any information would be most appreciated.

>you would like that movie i posted
I've actually seen it many times and I've read the novel it's based on. It's a good movie and not super nationalistic, it was made when the Bulgarian communist party was giving the Muslims in Bulgaria Christian names in an attempt to assimilate them, so they made this epic movie as a narrative "Oh look, all Muslims/Turks here were once actually Bulgarians who were violently converted into Islam, so it's kinda ok we're doing this, k?"

interesting perspective.
are you a bulgarsaur?
know any other movies on the subject; propaganda or not?

lol, someone put erdogans head on this

you can tell this is turk propaganda:
the child is depicted as female

he's so sad to get fucked in the ass

>Balkanshits: Oh god, the Devshirme was horrible.
>Boys taken from villages
>...to become bureaucrats ,architects and minister

turkish men tend to have a very tired and hurt look in their eyes most of the time
such is the heart of a man robbed of love

oh yay greeks get to be islamic and run empire for mongols lol

something thaou might interest you op

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ottoman_Grand_Viziers

after 1453, many of them were of balkan descent from devshirme, there were even five italians.some armenians and georgians. which makes it funnier when these people shits on the ottoman empire nowadays even when theyre the one who runs the empire along with turks

thanks bro!
like i said earlier: the demographics of this interest me as much as the superficial stuff.
it seems hard to find specifics on the ethnic transition of "the turks"

to add on:
what is also really interesting to me is the early turkish development, though its understandable that transitions can be the most elusive to document.

(checked)
also; nice dubs

also
bump

polite and principled bump

The Turkish History is marred with coup, since the military plays a vital role in its society since the Asian steppes. The Sultans needed Elite guards to protect them both in battle and in the palace. If these however were from noble or Turkish ancestry there was always a chance that they could be dethroned and replaced by other lineages.

Fostering children from a Christian heritage and making them the most elite warriors gave the Ottoman Sultans the advantage of not having any coup risks.

However in late 18th century a revolt happened and an Ottoman Sultan was executed (the only one to dies so) the Janissaries contemplated to dethrone the House of Osman an place a distant relative of the Beys of Karaman. Eventually they gave up on the idea and let the House of Osman continue.

Balkan countries are heavily influenced by the nationalism of the 19th century, hence why Greeks, Serbians, Bulgarians etc. see the Turks as the common enemy even as of today. Most of these countries pretend as if their nationalities were not the citizens of an Multi Ethnical Empire for half a milennia (in case of Greeks and Armenians even longer). This is utter bogus..

Quoted "The rise of nationalism under the Ottoman Empire as a direct result of enlightenment of Christian millets through education, was the dominant theme. Armenians, However, for the most part, remained passive during these years, earning them the title of millet-i sadıka or the "loyal millet."

Armenians, Greeks and Jews were in very high regard in the Ottoman Empire and they were prominent in the parliement even in the 20th century.

Nationalism is disease that ate up Ottoman Empire and it does to do long so in its georgraphy even after its collapse.

Examples: Yugoslav Wars, Turk Kurd conflict, Invasion of Cyprus, Arab Civil Wars

many and much thanks, bro!!

any information on ottoman fashion - especially these red, zucchetto-eque caps - would be much appreciated

accidental bump

Interested bumb

>have myself heard the tales of the grandmothers

Devshirme system practically ended in 1600s, officially in 1700s. The tales were reinvented in 1800s by nationalists.