/indie/ - Indie and Misc. Games General

Previous thread >What the fuck is this
/indie/ is the general for all indie games, such as A Hat in Time, Hollow Knight, RUINER, Cuphead, Heat Signature, Steamworld Dig 2, LISA, Yume Nikki, OFF, Middens, Underrail, OneShot, Rimworld, Age of Decadence, VA-11 HALL-A, Subnautica, Machinarium, DashBored, Darkwood, Card City Nights 2, Braid, Monolith, Rain World, Axiom Verge, Guacamelee, The Desolate Hope, West Of Loathing, Stardew Valley, etc. as well as other games that just don't fit in any other general such as Atelier, Rayman, Pillars Of Eternity, Rise Of Nations, and Valkyria Chronicles. Absorbed the /lite/ general some time ago and /jrpg/ is welcome.
A Hat In Time has its own general for the time being.

Mobile or consoles, flash or unity, freeware or early access. This place is a home for the indie game community and indie and obscure games that don't have a home. So be free to talk and share all your hidden gems, forgotten games and starving devs here.

>Can I talk about games that already have a general?
We mostly discuss games that are not popular enough for their own threads (since they have no other home in Veeky Forums), however, all indie games are allowed. So talk about them if you want, but don't overdo it since you already have other generals for that.

>How can I contribute?
All we need right now is people to talk about their loved indie and miscellaneous games, so don't be afraid to post, bump and reply your fellow anons. Also we're looking for anons to make new pastebins/wikis/images and update the ones already made. And please give lots of feel, love, kind and nice to everyone, except namefags. And be sure to make a new thread if nobody else does.

>Recommendations
pastebin.com/ZbG0JPSn

>Booru
indiegame.booru.org

>Steam Group
steamcommunity.com/groups/indiegamesgeneral

>Link to the winners of the GTP Indie Cup.
pastebin.com/u9TYjkj3

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassandra
selfish-dream.itch.io
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is there a rimworld mod collection that I could just plug into my game? There seems to be a lot of mods that are considered essential. If not, could anyone please make a zip out of their mod folder and upload it to mega?

I just made an Itch account, post some in-development games I should follow/shill your own releases. The front page is kind of a clusterfuck.

The Crown Stones: Mirrah
Aura of Worlds
Shattered Realms
Dungeon of Zaar
Nongon Alpha
Deceiver
Skipchaser
Synthetik
Lucah

Fuck that guy.

>rain turning sand wet and forming puddles on other spots
Is this from nature's pretty sweet or is it in vanilla? Either way its comfy af
Also if I made the circle building on the right into 4 equally sized bedrooms, would they be too small and give my dudes a debuff?

Been working on my Rimworld medieval mod on/off for a little while, mostly because of the sporadic threads on /v/. How does this look for a tunic?
Yes I am aware that there is already a medieval mod for Rimworld. I don't like it because it adds too much useless fluff and bloat to the game, and it doesn't play well with other mods.

You live under the illusion of control. Abandon the fight. It is written.

Go back.

You're not what I expected.

I really don't see why the CAU even exists. They are efficient and work as a containment unit for psychos but their very existence is terrible for publicity and there's nothing they can do that a group of mercs, a dreadnought or a better equipped regular unit can't.

YOU ARE TOO IMPULSIVE
THIS IS MY TIME
MY SPACE

YOUR ESCAPE

WILL

FAIL

>beat the hand
>feel like shit
>the song tries to play buddy buddy with me
>lol fuck off
>she gets more and more obviously angry the more I kick her face in
Didn't even feel bad about that slut.

Nature's pretty sweet. I wish it didn't make my PC shit a brick at zoomed out 3X speeds.

sometimes you just need instill a little terror.
protectorate is established as sort of oppressive authoritarian state (especially in the North) and the CAU are kind of like a fusion of gas chambers and einsatzgruppen. it makes sense to give the world some flavor. also since they have high bio/acid resistance i think the idea is that they go in alone and use weapons that would normally be too dangerous to your allies (gas grenades, stuff that makes acid puddles). basically they're a bunch of crazies whose advantage is that they can be indiscriminate.

dreadnoughts are not maneuverable/mobile enough. can't really insert a team of dreadnoughts in an enemy facility.

>>dreadnoughts are not maneuverable/mobile enough. can't really insert a team of dreadnoughts in an enemy facility.

CAU is particularly mobile too. It was the only thing that managed to get past the big faceless barricade that was cutting off the north from the south.

>he thought he could get out
>he brought a gun to a timelord fight

2017 is almost over.
What's your indie GOTY?

I think Cuphead is my favorite out of that list.

Is Cosmic Star Heroine any good?

Cassandra Truth characters always get me.

>Cassandra Truth
Qué?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassandra

Alternate question, what is your biggest disappointment from this list

Slime Rancher.

It's been a good year. Also Hollow Knight.
Slime Rancher easily.

no

Never played SR, what's wrong with it?

Tumblr Protag.

Rain World
Yooka Laylee if it was on the list
There were red flags it would be shit since EA. It was always hollow and shallow, people just kept hoping the final version would be more and then everyone got pissed at Glass Desert and 1.0.0 being literally nothing

I will shill.
selfish-dream.itch.io

The protagonist is ugly and has a tumblr, but it's also boring.
It's cute, yeah, but it's the only good thing about it. Since you can win money very easily, they made it artificially longer by forcing you to grind for stuff.

it's just not a particularly good game
there's minimal depth to slime management and most of the gameplay is admiring them being cute

Forgets to do right what the several dozen ranching/farming/simulation type games that precede it did.
The slimes arent even that cute, maybe the game would be passable if it was a JY or JS rancher

Hollow Knight would be the best game, Rain World the game I enjoyed the most. GOTY is somewhere between those.

Seriously, Rain World is freaking incredible. Not without flaws, but I can't remember the last game that was so mesmerizing and captivating.

OneShot if it can get a shoo-in as an official unofficial 2017 game. Hat game otherwise.

Sweet, I got a shield early.

>psi
heem urself my man

I just wanted the cheevos...

Thank you.

Does your level have an effect on what merchants carry? I never saw Gort carry a study vest until I made it to level 9. Usually I kill him and the rest of the Scrappers before then.

I'm also leveling up mercantile, if that makes any difference.

>Does your level have an effect on what merchants carry?
No. It's only affected by major events during the game (Faceless invasion and Tchortist stealing the Cube to be precise) and passing the "special stock" Mercantile check.

The weak should fear the strong.

Weird that Erza can't fix this amulet that he made himself, but some random lady in Hobotown can. I'm guessing he just didn't feel like doing it.

I fucking hate leapzards.

The game is so easy you can basically turn on auto-fight for every combat. I didn't even consider that there might be "best" spells

>90 minutes making faggot start
>enter first bar
>1 second later
WAIT WHAT NO

Is there any reason to choose the Scrappers over the Based Black Eels?

Not really. Scrappers want you to kill the best trader in the entire game, that's enough to disregard them entirely.

Still not following. Is he no longer immune to everything (not counting export exploits) or what?

>Force Field mentor
Huh. For what purpose? Potential early introduction to mentors?

>cracks thieving dog upside the head, knocking it out cold
>hoists it onto his shoulder, would make for good stew
>turns to check on commotion between robot & the trade ninjas

Shit start but I'm liking anime-mode already

Is the bladeling fight really that bad on DOMINATING or is that guy just exaggerating?

No idea, but the correct question I think is: why the fuck is that guy playing on DOMINATING? For the past week he's done nothing but complain about how unfair it is.

It's not much worse than hard, both have tons of waves now. DOMINATING just adds adrenaline rush and something like 50 stacks of TfB to the bladelings.

Hard mode is easier to cheese though. Doing it alone and making the mine entry a gas chamber works very well. Doesn't work so well on DOMINATING because the bladelings move so ridiculously fast they practically teleport around the map. I wonder if that's a bug or intended side effect of their crazy buffs.

Any thoughts?

Is that Kenshi

The game has had many patches since I seriously invested myself in it, so gameplay balance may have changed. I loved it when I played it, but it's the type of game where the entirety of your enjoyment will likely be derived from playing with the impressively freeform spell creation system. If you're reasonably good at creating powerful spells by using your noggin then the game will be hardest at the start and steadily get easier as you gain access to more spell components, but making spells was so much fun that I had a blast regardless.

Basically if you want to make spells like pic related or spells even more ridiculous and powerful than pic related, give it a shot. It's one of the most "wizardy" games I've ever played in that it gives you the tools for spell creation and basically the only limit is your creativity.

What game is this?

Fight'N Rage
Very nice game.

popping in from Veeky Forums and /co/
I've been looking for a RPG to kill time during the long winter months.
which is better, West of Loathing or Casmic Star Heroine?

Well, this fight was a real joke of a trial. You can't even get hit by him, his attack just bounces off you. It seems I can reenter the trial but will I get another charm notch? Seems too good to be true.
>popping in from Veeky Forums and /co/
Hehe, he said /cock/.

No, the charm notch is one time reward. The second trial gives a ore piece.

Can't make a trap more obvious than that.
Yeah, just completed it second time. Gotta dump all my geo in that fountain in City of Tears, I have little use for it anyway.

West of loathing

i couldn't play that game for very long because of how laggy it got as soon as i had something going

wtf I need to play this game now

But I will probably have to wait a few days.

>Dominating is shit, why would you ever wish to play it?
>well hard is somewhat easy after a point,but i agree dominating currently is unfun as it invalides most of the builds and makes even simple fights with rathounds a chore.
>Dominating is bad because no thought or effort was put into it. It was more styg just saying "here fuckwads, if the game was too easy choke on this".

Also thanks epeli for calling us hardcore players even if only two people here managed to play a successful build in DOMINATING.

All the complaints about DOMINATING boil down to

>this unreasonably hard difficulty made for players who wanted an unreasonably hard difficulty is too unreasonably hard, nerf pls

Having a blast so far, I'm confident I will be able to finish it. By the way I loved the Simon Peres fight, the map provides so many opportunities for clever tactics, especially for sniper builds.

That's a lot of ironheads. Did you one-shot, stealth, relocate and repeat?

Some others have been pretty successful on dominating as well, and the initial reaction to it was more positive than I expected.

And that's just codex being codex. They pretend to be RPG elitists but in reality most of them want a pretty casual experience. They should just play on Hard or Normal instead of needlessly punishing themselves. Still, I'm sure some of those guys would enjoy DOMINATING, but at this point they're already deadly afraid.

It was funny how everyone thought 1.0.3 would be a casual-pandering update and the downfall of Underrail due to the map, but now the community focus has turned 180.

>It was funny how everyone thought 1.0.3 would be a casual-pandering update and the downfall of Underrail due to the map
Yeah well it's hard to care about trivialities when you are in a room full of EMP spitting spiders. Really puts things in perspective.

Yes, Kenshi.

The map is just QoL at this point. I'd prefer it weren't there, sure, but there's been reliable maps since a while ago.

If they want to play any build and have it win the game then they should just play on Normal. I think their mindset is that Underrail is a lot like Fallout therefore you should be able to win with a single combat skill and severely gimped stats.

Honestly they should try Hard and see if the game is actually so complicated.

They changed a lot of thing since last time I played.

Anything good on the Switch I should get?

All I have is golf story for indie games on it.

Probably Mario Odyssey.

I have Odyssey, BotW, MK8 already. Meant indie-game wise.

>Did you one-shot, stealth, relocate and repeat?
Among other things, but there's more to it than that.

First I dropped the Demolisher next to the pillar while standing next to the upper area transition. The 2 ironheads in the upper-left corner were close enough to hear this and investigate, but far enough to allow me to escape before they arrive.

Then I destroyed the camera with a silenced pistol and waited until ironheads are done investigating. After that I took care of the 2 ironheads in the upper corner and run to the underpassage entrance to hide from ironheads who came to investigate yet again.

Here is where things get interesting. If you look at the underpassges entrance you will see that I was able to kill Simon Peres and the Bomber by shooting through the fence. While I was doing that (killed the Bomber out of stealth, had to wait 1 turn until Simon Peres runs up to the fence) all the other ironheads running towards my position. I placed a bear trap in the doorway to buy me some time before they arrive, I also placed 4 mines and thrown crawler caltrops between the stairs, it was pretty easy to shoot them all down.

Choke on it

jesus user, that's one tacticool strategy

>There is no "impure" batter. There is only one batter, the only things wich changes is the vision the player have of him. Sometimes someones you likes looks sudently very different.
What does he look like to you?

Thanks. That's why I liked it so much, there's few maps that allow this degree of clever approaches.

The nice thing about DOMINATING is that the overwhelming odds often force you to think outside the box.

Like a giant ducky.

A Hat in Time!

This answer used to be "A shotgun?".

Railguns when?

Forgot the pic.

>a toy soldier

Expedition will have grenade launchers, railguns, and toy soldiers with a high-caliber chain gun in one hand, flamethrower in the other and a yellow duckie painted on their helmets.

>Rain World
>On cycle 51 but still in Industrial Complex because too scared of Garbage Wastes
How does a game where death barely means anything manage to be so terrifying?

>railgun
GIB!

Why dont the underrailites train dogs to fight

But they do.

muties, lurkers, lunatics and free drones do
it's the resourceful factions that don't because they already have a lot of grunts with machineguns or every member is extremely skilled

>tfw you have two image intensifiers for night vision
>but cant find goggle frames anywhere
Send help

Lurkers not only have dogs, they even do dog fights.

The begger I found has a dog with her, it protects her from the rathounds on the map.

just go to shaded citadel
then you won't see your death coming

Well, apparently the Protectorate also employ invisible stealth doberman special forces now.

I actually ended up there before I found the entrance to the Garbage Wastes. It was 2spooky so I left.

Hitting enemies with Dreamnail is purely for lore or something? No effect on replenishing essence?