Please show me your family treasure!

My family treasure is a spear made in the 1600-1610s.(Understand the age from the name of the wordsmith.)
At that time my ancestor had become a farmer from a samurai, so I guess it left a memorial.
He became a loser in a big civil war

Other urls found in this thread:

schwertbruecken.de/pdf/tokenbijutsu0808neu.pdf
collectrosenthal.com/index.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Has it been polished recently?

It looks very shiny and clean for something that's 400 years old

Not OP, but I guess if it is a family treasure then one would keep it in good condition.

Unfortunately i'm at work so I can't take a picture but I guess if I had to pick a family treasure it would be the little piece of viking bone we have (my mother is an archaeologist, don't ask, and if you asked her she would say that the flint axes we own are the real treasure, she is obsessed with the stuff)

Depending on when I get home I can take a picture of it.

I have not polished at least since I was born.
400 years is not old in the Japanese sword world.

Past through a few hands

Our treasures are more recent than ancient.

If I had to pick one it'd be my 2nd great grandfather's pocket watch from around 1860.
don't have it with me though so no picture. Sorry

what's that

How would that blade be classified?

Omi Yari or Su Yari or what?

read isiah 53

I have a greek sword my great-grandfather used during WW1, WW2 and fhe civil war. Unfortunately I can't take a picture right now.

>Please show me your family treasure!

I have my dad's 1957 Zippo lighter and his "Kobar" brand straight razor from WWII.

My mom still had the arbeitskart that the Germans issued her during the war but at some point after her senior dementia got worse, she must have thrown it out because I didn't find it after she had passed away.

a poem from my crusader ancestor
god save japan

I only have a few old books. Some about 100 years old. Among the more interesting ones i have "Deutschland und die Welt" with WWI maps.
I can post later if enyone is interested at all.

A photo of my grand-grandfather in prussian gear with Pickelhaube and moustache and all, also some books from the 2.reich including a cooking book with recipes made from endangered animals and a great variety of sausages and how to make them.

My dads cousin has a genuine arisaka his father took off a Japanese soldier, and my moms sister has a nazi dagger. It's really dissapointing I'll own neither of them but it's cool to know someone has some nice heirlooms.

It is a type of Ryo shinogi yari

>Has it been polished recently?
It is fairly common for Japanese historical weaponry to be regularly polished. In fact, Japanese polishers are trained to handle historic weaponry. Polishing a blade does not just serve the purpose of making it look nice but it also serves the purpose of analysis on how the blade was forged, how it was hardened, etc. since the polishing brings out all kinds of visible information which someone knowledgeable on how to interpret it can use. The Japanese call it 窓を開ける (mado wo akeru - to open a window).

Pic shows an Alemannic Sax from the 5th century AD which was polished in the Japanese style. The archaeologist Stefan Maeder had several late antique and early medieval blades and blade pieces polished in that fashion as part of his PhD thesis on historical European weaponry and how the Japanese style of interpreting certain visible cues can give enhanced insight in how they were forged in addition to the Western kind of (non-destructive) analysis that is commonly applied.

My dad says this Bible is over a hundred years old. He got it from his mom. Nobody in the family actually knows how old the thing is.

And that's all the pictures I took. I found it interesting that there were depictions of plants, animals, coins, etc at the beginning.

Viking's Swordsmith technique was expensive.
schwertbruecken.de/pdf/tokenbijutsu0808neu.pdf

ur holding it upside down m8

I would guess late 1800s, especially given it has Pictorial in its name.

I hope to inherit this huge ass gall stone my grandfather took from a dead goat.

I come from a long of dirt farmers.

No swords or armor for me, my last name is part of a plow.

Yeah, I was thinking late 1800's to early 1900's. It's a fascinating book, but I can't flip through the pages too much or it'll fall apart. The binding is absolutely fucked. My dad and I are going to get somebody to fix it. By the way, user, where do you think this book came from? I don't know enough about old books to say for sure but I guessed America, because my grandmother grew up on a Cherokee reservation.

America or Britain. I would guess the former though, as I have a Pictorial History book that is in the same style and was published in America in the 1880s. Are you sure there is no publisher information in it?

Shit dude, I think I may or may not have that same bible. Though I don't have it available right now.

If this thread can stay up for at least 18 more hours ill have pictures. You wont be disappointed cause even if its not the same mine is still old af.

I'll check.
Nice.

The Light of the World Trademark is all I found.

Also, here's the full title page.

We have a couple of old bibles, but they're not that old.
Oldest one is from 1770 I think.
Within arms reach I have a bunch of psalm books and bibles, The one on the top is from 1870.

Please do

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatssssssssssss diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis ???????????

it's pretty cool but the paper is waaay too white for the book to be 100+ years, the style in which it was printed also looks quite odd, it's likely not as old as you think it is, my guess is the late 50s

>illustrated
>pictorial
you should do a high res scan of that protestant 66 book devil's bible

Can you please take a picture?

It barely saw any use after my grandma gave it to my dad. It's been preserved by my dad's atheism, so that may be why the pages are whiter than they should be. My grandmother has had it since childhood, so the 50's is a bit too late of an estimate. I'll do more research to find the exact year. Results of similar books online show the publisher was active from roughly 1850 to 1960. I'm still sticking with my theory that it's late 1800's to early 1900's, but I may be wrong. If I find out an exact date, I will post it on this thread.

What I don't understand is how my grandmother got her hands on it. This Bible looks expensive, for both now and back then. She didn't exactly have a surplus of money before meeting my grandpa. Also, I'm pretty sure she'd been born into a Christian family so it may've even come from one of her parents.

Picture of your mother please.

Stop trying to get a qt archaeologist waifu.

By treasure, do we mean something of historic value, or just valuable stuff in our family ?
There are a couple middle aged gold coins in my family, some old but not too valuable stuff from XVI to XIX century. I also own little gold ingot and a peridot and silver celtic cross from circa 1830, heirloom from an irish ancestor

Little gold ingot is not money?
I want to see pictures. PLZ

A rather large set of Dutch Blue Delft ceramics. As far as I can tell, they're from the late 1800s to the early 1900s. My great grandmother brought them with her to the United States when she emigrated here from Germany. (At least, that's what family lore dictates.)

Here's a picture of the markings on the back

Here's an example of some of the artwork

It's worth money, but it's not actual money. 50g of 24k gold.
Pictures of what ?

Gold ingot 's photo

Pictures of old money are not unusual, but I have never seen an old gold ingot

My bad, I wasn't clear. The ingot is very recent.

A chalice gifted from the king of Sweden to an ancestor who won a diatholon.

Upon doing further research, most, if not all the pieces are "rosenthal delft" I found a website about collecting such delft. I'll link it for you gents.
collectrosenthal.com/index.html

Checked.

Threads like this one are why I stay on Veeky Forums. It's so nice to see everyone getting along and teaching each other shit.

My great-grandfather's brother ran concentration camp. Not really proud of it.

My family owns a globe that depicts a unified Germany AND a unified Yugoslavia.

It's relatively new but it will be a nice historical meme at some point.

I had maps of NDH, but can't find them anymore.

bump

I have an original German arbeitsbuch or whatever it's called from the 1930s

A photo of my grand-grandfather shaking hands with Franco during the Moroccan war in the 20's. I also have a medal from him, he survived one of the worst defeats Spain suffered during the contemporary era.

Paradoxically he was executed by the nationalists during the civil war thought he was an apolitical professional soldier whose commander happened to be loyal to the republic.

My Aunt currently has them but is going to give them to me when I am not constantly on the move as a grad student.

My Family's numerous slave deeds.
Yep, the literal treasure being proof of ownership of several people

bump

My grandmother Svetlana Alliluyeva was my family treasure.

I have this lighter, not sure if its worth anything. Anybody know what kind if lighter is it

as promised.
So, sadly its not the same but I found that my something-great grandfather got it in 1870.

This is the backside of the bible. Front looks the same but its in bad condition. Thickness of the entire bible was about 3-4 inches?

the first page was moses with the testaments but I figured this (2nd page) was more interesting

After that was a blank and then this legal jumbo

After the legal shit and revisers notes, we have maps, illustrations/notes of ancient coins, and here is the genealogy of Jesus

German WWI buckle that stopped a Vickers gun round.

Between the Old and New Testaments were family records of who owned the bible (I assume), newspaper clippings regarding my something-great grandfather's death, and a photo of his wife.

But what you would be interested in are the illustrations of some scriptures that appeared after those. Pic related is Jesus with the crown of thorns

And lastly we have what the scriptures look like.

Hope you enjoyed, Veeky Forums

Oh, and here we have the same grandfathers (still working!) pocket watch. Also acquired late 1800s
It is gold colored brass.

he was an optomitrist

Cool stuff, man. Old-fashioned pictorial Bibles are really aesthetically pleasing. Thanks for sharing yours, too.

my dad collects old lithographs from auctions, but I don't think he has anything worth more than a couple hundred

I inherited my grandfathers gold onyx pinky ring, it was made my Birk's in the 30s

my family on both sides are from poor backgrounds, fleeing famine to farm in the new world so we don't have many (if any) heirlooms

ask /k/

Well, most of my ancestors brought themselves up from scratch (bar maternal great grandfather who was a small-time merchant) so i don't really have anything fancy.
Grandpa has an old pocket watch and a nice looking dagger.

Great grandpa dug up a bronze age spear tip in the field.
Got a lifetime pass at the local museum.

I used to own a necklace passed down through 4 generations but I lost it like a retard.