/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Modding edition

Previous thread PLEASE NOTE: Dwarf Fortress has just received an update. If you play the newest version (44.02), be prepared for plentiful bugs and crashes. Do not complain about your bugs and crashes here, report them here: bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.44.02.
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist:
github.com/Dwarf-Therapist/Dwarf-Therapist/releases

>DFHack (Alpha for 44.02, expect bugs):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Legends Viewer:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154617.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11455

>Starter Pack (Out of date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

putnam3145.github.io/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

nigger

Greetings! I am Urist Meathooks, Grand Master Fish Dissector!

huh

>not cheesemaking edition
One job.

It's implied.

I love dissectors, lye/soap makers, and all other masters of totally worthless skills! They make great fodder recruits for my army especially when said army need to fight some demons

So, I have a forgotten beast, tick like in appearance with deadly blood that looks like it is stuck on top of a towercap, is it merely waiting to ambush some poor miner or is it just stuck?

great, now lets just disable fish dissecting and have you go collect webs from the giant cave spider

>if you disagree with meph, just say it to him on the foru-

>getting in internet fights
You have to be an even BIGGER loser than meph to give a shit about him.

Sad!

Regular old megabeast dragons dont have wings and cannot fly.

Cave dragons do have wings, but cant fly. What's weirder is that their description outright says they were formerly normal dragons that were polluted by the underground.

Fantastic races, ZM5's stuff, Dark Ages, Goblinoids and Orcs all add some amount of new civs and other creatures, to name a few good ones.

The authors of the first two hang around here occasionally, so if you ask questions around they may respond (or you can just ask on their threads). The others dont hang around here, far as I'm aware.

>le based radical centrist who is completely neutral about everything, even if it harms the community
wish I could be as redpilled and laid back as you

Tbh the entire "fight" was a "religious dude posts something, fedora tippers leap on him for daring to bring it up, he fires back, both sides end up looking retarded" type of deal - it wasn't even a thing about Methhead himself.

there's a guy at the end of the thread who says a critique against meph got deleted, though.

Must have missed that - I only saw the religion argument before Toady removed everything.

Just as expected of comrade Toadskij.
Worker revolution update soon, comrades.

I mean, I definitely understand that Toady doesn't want his forum to be ruined by drama. I still wish it was acceptable to critisise mastershit there, though.

Criticising mastershit is one thing, criticising Meph is another. While I don't approve of Toady deleting that guy's post, his choice is fully understandable.

Update: I have fixed the needs and happiness. Dwarves will become unhappy if they have less than grand accommodations. If enough dwarves become unhappy they can mutiny and kill the nobility which causes your fort to become a new civ and the civ it was previously part of to become at war with your new civ

His reasons are understandable - I don't think he actively deletes posts criticizing Mastershit unless you go on autistic shitfits like Putnam or unless you shit on Meph personally (as deserved as it may be).

I am Putnam.

t. putnam

putnam is clearly butthurt about losing players to meph, but he's still completely right about mastershit. it has effectively killed most of the DF modding community. if you look at the number of maintained non-mastershit mods, it's very low. the fact that meph routinely drops into the the threads for every successful mod and asks if he can take it doesn't make things better.

Is there anyway to play as a mummy in Adventure Mode?

mod in an adventure reaction to create an item that makes you a mummy

Ah so no in game way?

I just told you the in game way.

I fully agree he's right on masterbloat's effect on the community - and while Putnam's stuff is highly impressive and he's undeniably talented in that regard, the way he ranted about MW (nearly got himself banned too) just comes across as really pedantic, whiny and autismal - a lot of his conversations do in fact, its like he doesn't realize he's talking to another person. That said, I'd still take his autism over mastershit any day.

His butthurt "me me my playerbase look how much I've done for the community" mentality doesn't help either.

Think he was asking about a vanilla-only way, without mods - in which case, yeah, there's no way to play a mummy.

>His butthurt "me me my playerbase look how much I've done for the community" mentality doesn't help either.

I just looked through his stuff here, if its the same guy I mean. putnam3145.github.io/

And I mean, dragonball and homestuck? Really if this is his actual portfolio no wonder no one has downloaded that shit.

>Tfw you realize the retards whomst are using graphical tilesets are unironically shilling against using ASCII and its not trolling
I want tilelets to leave and never come back

What's wrong with Dragon Balls and Homosuck?

what isn't?

Well realistically I can't imagine him being more than a niche modder with that kind of product. Most people want dwarf fortress to be more or less like dwarf fortress from what I've seen, so a mod that incorporates franchises that are about has far away from traditional fantasy as you can get seem like they wouldn't be all that popular.

And just as a general rule anything involving homestuck raises a few red flags in general, considering the fanbase.

You some kind of ASCII using pol nazi?

His homestuck is great since it will bring diversity to DF. Once the majority of patreon supporters are homestuck fans Toady will be forced to introduce gender plurality and gay sex mechanics.

>tfw you realise that using any other shade than white and black for your tileset is cheating
>tfw you'll have to remake your tileset from scratch now

>tileset

>retard

>nigger

>post pic related
>see comments
>JUST.

Why'd you censor your profile pic so poorly. It's obviously that laughing gif from GiTS or some iteration thereof.

Watching hunters hunt with wooden ammo is kind of hilarious.
>Ambush prey
>Wooden bolts just bruise and concuss the poor beast until it's vomiting everywhere and falling over every 5 minutes
>Hunter runs out of ammo, runs all the way back to the fort to grab more
>Comes back, animal has barely moved due to the bludgeoning it's received
>repeat this about 5 times until the animal dies.

alright, now all the disgusting shades are removed. now I just have to redraw some of the tiles. I figure I'll just revert some of them into ASCII. I'll also have to change the colour scheme.

>it's obviously the laughing man logo because it's round
uhhh

haha we /zx/ now

I think I'm gonna have to cheat with the grays though

What's the set used in this image that was posted in another thread ? Couldn't find it with a rapid search.

>roc comes into map
>pushes human visitor into lava moat
>gets caught in lava mist
>runs around on fire for three months burning the whole time before it dies
wew

My aboveground village is now more or less complete I think, 7 years in. I might start a honey industry though.

>faggot

>user 1 has become enraged!
>user 1 is no longer enraged.
>user 1: I am not angry.

my OC

>tfw I have never used anything but ASCII but always shill against it

virgin part is supposed to be slightly awkward but normal
chad part is supposed to be overblown retardation, at least according to the original image the meme is based on
I still don't get why people decided to make it
>virgin bad
>chad good
oh well, I've got better things to do

stuck, but more in the sense of not wanting to path down. if it wants to attack someone it'd surely survive a little hop.

I got into dwarf fortress half a decade or so ago hearing about how much ultimate fun it had.

After playing for a few days, I realized I was just playing a very detailed single player RTS.

Is there anything other than this these days?

> I'll also have to change the colour scheme.
And make it square

I've sent a couple of miners past it to prepare to box it in and have my marksdwarves shoot at it through fortifications, didn't attack the miners so I just assumed it was stuck

let's talk bad about some rectangular tileset users. it literally says "canceled digging: inappropriate dig square" in the game!

why play dwarf fortres rinworld has better graphic??

Try asking that question in /rwg/.

I've sent a couple of miners past it to prepare to box it in and have my marksdwarves shoot at it through fortifications, didn't attack the miners so I just assumed it was stuck

or how about a comfy c64 colour scheme?

I can't believe people actually fell for the guy posting "it takes 1000 hours to learn ASCII".

being a chad is GOOD you incel

I thought that chad was supposed to be Retardedly good

Real life
>try to be a hero
>get shot
Manga
>try to be a hero
>train for x amount of time
>somehow manage to defeat enemy
DF
>wrestle cats and drown yourself until you're superhuman
>kill demons and dragons
>a lucky hit by a kobold knocks you out
>die covered in vomit and blood surrounded by laughing kobolds

virgin is supposed to be autistic and shy but still relatable for the average Veeky Forums user.
chad is supposed to be the ultimate antithesis of the virgin in every regard, to a degree where it becomes absurd.

somewhere along the line, it mutated into "virgin bad, chad good". I'm not sure when it happened or who was responsible, but I've noticed one thing: most of these "mutated" chad vs virgin memes have political themes.

It started as a shitty /r9k/ meme and people turned it into something actually funny that makes fun of virgins which are legitimately losers.

>feeling the need to act like a big man on Veeky Forums
autism

>haha person I disagree with as virgin vs me as chad lmao
very "funny" indeed

>caring about how you type on a site that went to shit when king kike left

ELF xD

bazed!

it went to shit long before that. gg and the US election were just the killing blows.

personally, I'm just waiting for hiro to shut it down like he promised to last year. it probably won't be that long now that americans will disappear.

It went to shit in 2011 but the election turned it into reddit. The only reason anyone uses Veeky Forums still is because you don't need to make an account.

really makes me think

Speaking of elves, Toady, where is my beautiful hairy, fragrant elf girlfriend? I want to squeeze milkies out of her breasts and pump her full of my human sperm. Make her into my big elf mommy :3

People who say dumb shit like this haven't spent any time actually browsing reddit and seeing how banal, diplomatic, and sterile the conversation is.

Gamergate was fun, the election was too. It's all the people who it attracted that are turning the board to shit. I think the election was so big that it was the death blow. You had activist movements before GG (Chanology) that brought in a bunch of annoying people but they were at least managable and integrated over time, the Trump election ironically caused mass waves of immigration which turned Veeky Forums into reddit 2.0

I've never even browsed reddit, no. But the amount of 49IQ schizos like
has increased by magnitudes since goyimgate.

>it's the guy who accuses me of being a schizo
>he thinks I think I'm actually talking to Toady
>doesn't realize I just have an elf fetish I like spreading on /dfg/
>doesn't realize an elf fetish is for high IQ individuals
>doesn't realize elves are beautiful
>doesn't realize he's developing an elf fetish each time he responds
>doesn't realize elf pussy would be superior to human pussy if it existed
>mfw

This desu.

There's many more reasons why people use Veeky Forums. The whole downboat/upboat bullshit on plebbit stunts discussion since only "approved" comments get upvoted - anything that goes against w/e bubble of a particular subreddit gets downvoted into oblivion - not just political shit, but controversial opinions about stuff in general. As for other sites, i.e Twitter, I don't think their shittiness even needs to be explained, unless someone has been living under a fucking boulder. For all its shortcomings, present or past, people on here atleast don't have to deal with any of that.

Your typing style indicates you have either manic depression (also called bi-polar disorder) or schizophrenia. Can't change facts.

No, his posting style indicates that he's a histrionic faggot.

You're basically saying "this shit smells less therefore it is not shit". The majority of people have just stopped participating in online conversations. Most of the oldfags simply left.

>thinks I care enough to use proper grammar and so forth for niggas whomst call me schizo
Maybe yoooooooure the schizo huh user-San?
>types incorrectly in your direction

exactly, as someone who actually (shamefully) browsed reddit during the election it was unbearable, after the entire front page was REEE DRUMPF the day after he won I finally called it quits

This. Reddit actively reinforces a hivemind and is hostile towards opposing viewpoints whereas Veeky Forums is consistently an active battleground of opposing viewpoints. Plus anonyminity provides a context of discussion that results in brutal honesty and argumentation without holding anything back in fear of hurting somebody or looking like a douche, which can result in better and more extensive arguments, and in turn removes the concept of popularity which can be cancerous to certain aspects of a community. Also smug anime reaction images. There are a lot of reasons to use Veeky Forums still.

Friendly reminder this is /dfg/ - that stands for Dwarf Fortress general.

Assuming you are:
You are no longer arguing the same point. He didn't say Veeky Forums wasn't shit. YOU said Veeky Forums was as shit as reddit (save for the lack of account creation on Veeky Forums) and he (and I) disagreed with that.

>not thinking trumplets are as obnoxious as drumpftards
Anyone who gives a fuck either way about Trump is the cancer that killed the internet.

If you think that kind of behavior is new around here it's because you're new around here.

>>not thinking drumpftards are worse than trumplets
you've never seen them in full force, have you?

>you're new here
I've only used /dfg/ that used to be on /v/. Sorry I'm not used to your inane breed of cancer.

>being this mad at Trump and GG
>only browses /dfg/
:)))))

HOLY FUCK WE NEED TO GET BACK ON TOPIC
DWARVES
DWARVES

TALK ABOUT FUCKING DWARVES

>walk into fort
>people are having one-sided conversations with cats
what