/arena/ - Arena FPS General

Christmas Soon edition

A place to discuss all of your favorite old-school and modern arena shooters such as Quake Live, Quake Champions, Unreal Tournament, Reflex, etc.

Current Q:C News: Holiday event ongoing. Hold onto those chests and reliquaries if you don’t want any holiday cosmetics. Patch notes here: quake.bethesda.net/en/news/5FspmmWh8ckIMcIaEsisa

>Tutorials
youtube.com/watch?v=SSNNhUAVRuA
youtube.com/watch?v=gpir6ZZKmcM
youtube.com/watch?v=SlCRfTmBSGs
youtube.com/watch?v=pLmuRRm1Bag&list=PLxP7tvMqaXzDjw7OYYIEbplCdZOaHLFPg
youtube.com/watch?v=f8CP1oSy_-o
youtube.com/watch?v=QRe3g65S4Zs&list=PLgbx1wWCtM2DYy26yCLbtY6A0XRiSEM3u&index=1
youtube.com/watch?v=n2tdDZWSGy4
youtube.com/watch?v=dkED2PSrl1c

>Q:C custom weapon skin showcase, complete with dual wield:
my.mixtape.moe/qebphk.webm

>List of /arena/ fags willing to play Q:C
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1w_r9pS_mV3vAZXwJmb5gM5LB2km77pkAx9s0aGFDxR0/

trigger_teleport:
>target: lastthread
info_teleport_destination
>targetname: lastthread
>origin:

First for Slash is and has always been the cutest.

so since tim has said that sarge is a lot like ranger in terms of him being a guns blazing military man, and they're more likely to add other champs that fit a more unique archetype, here's a question
would you trade ranger for sarge?

Absolutely not and I'm insulted you would even ask that.

fuck no dude no one can replace the og quakedad

what the fuck
nigga
no

>leaderboard shows only people in gold
So I can't see the players around my rank to find people around my skill to play custom games with?
Fuck you Tim.

"Configuration update in progress" in QC just now
The fuck does this mean? Server shit?

Characters don't necessarily have to fit different archetypes- hell, they reworked Anarki and Slash specifically to be more like each other, instead of one being, like, a valley-girl roller blader and one being a vidya-obsessed technod00d.

Sarge is the most plain quake character. So no. I'd rather they focus on the more interesting ones like hunter, orbb, uriel etc

What ability can Orb have?

ability to walk walls

Spawns with no ability, on getting a kill he's spent enough time observing and studying that character that he 'steals' a nerfed version of their ability.

Mostly I just want to see Orbb on Anarki's hoverboard busting McTwists and bluntslides like it's 2001.

More of a passive to be quite honest

Some sort of tracking. Every active item lights up through walls and enemies on screen become easier to hit or something.

Interesting take on it too.

>enemies on screen become easier to hit or something.
Passive ability is forced green shader on every enemy

Nah, passive is just Orbb uses his jumping and pain sounds from Q3A and since Q:C has no forced models, your enemies get to suffer through your incessant squeaking driving them crazy until they lose focus or quit.

Confess your sins, /arena/

How about just the ability to see how much HP and armor are left for any player he sees?
Useful without being busted and makes sense with the eye motif

I mean, my post was kind of a joke but it does fit with the old lore, Orbb was created by the Vadrigar to study the arena inhabitants but apparently found watching the fights so fun that it decided to grab a gun and join in. Just plain seeing HP and armor is boring, albeit a safe choice.

>Just plain seeing HP and armor is boring, albeit a safe choice.
Most abilities in QC are very very "safe". I think Dire Orb is the wildest and it's still just an improved UT translocator
You can't get too high concept or you risk ruining the afps feel

passive is seeing enemy hp, armor and weapon held/ammo remaining
active - iunno

Playable Fiend when?

Active: Snapshot
Whoever's in his sight (player's screen) when you press F gets marked and then you can see them through walls for a while (but make it longer than Visor's active)
Could be an interesting take on the wallhack ability in which you need to first see the guy, so it's more of a pursuit helper than a predictive one like Visor's
Also in team modes you can wait for the perfect moment to use it and toggle wallhack for as many players as you can
Goes well with the idea that Orbb was literally meant to be a an organic camera I think. Make a brief camera flash effect occur on the screen of whoever got tagged with it so they know they're being seen through walls for a while

Would look very retarded with guns
Death Knight is honestly already pushing it. In Q1 they come off as very unintelligent, almost zombie-like. Now they'll be using futuristic weaponry

>In Q1 they come off as very unintelligent, almost zombie-like.
Why, because of the primitive AI? No more zombie-like than Ranger himself sliding around like he's on ice skates smacking walls with an axe. They're just medieval knight dudes who also happen to be able to shoot fire from their swords.

They look discolored, monstrous and caked with blood (which looks like it's coming from their body and mouth). I always thought they were zombies or otherwise very corrupted, not a regular ~100IQ human with a sword

You know what I mean? Grunts and Enforcers feel human (or more human, I know Grunts in particular are possessed), they shoot and scurry about to dodge your shots, etc. It kinda feels like default "man with gun" behavior. Death Knight acts nothing like a man with a sword would, he's just a big suicidal retard with a magic spell

To act credence to the zombie thing, Death Knight in the QC .pak leaks is definitely undead or very fucked up in some manner. He looks several degrees more decayed than Galena, he's straight up puke green

The QC Death Knight is straight up a living skellington, or at least one of his cosmetics are (the one in the leaked portrait)
Maybe his lore skin will make him look more human

Wow!

I kind of get whatcha mean, but it's fitting, isn't it? Grunts and Enforcers are still human, with military training and equipment (namely, the same outfits, body armor, and at least one of the same weapons as Ranger himself)- unlike Doom's possessed marines, they're still intelligent soldiers, they've just had their brains all fucked up to give 'em orgasms when they kill stuff. To quote the manual:
>Goons with probes inserted into their pleasure centers; wired up so when they kill someone, they get paroxysms of ecstasy. In essence, customized serial killers.

Knights and Death Knights would have no idea what taking cover is or what that boomstick Ranger's toting does, they know how to slash things with a sword and how to shoot fireballs through whatever arcane majyyks exist in their home dimension so that's what they do. Death Knights also aren't all that bloody at all, outside of their sword, the right arm holding the sword, and a couple other spots on the armor where it's splattered- hell, you can pretty easily spot their clenched mouth and cleft chin poking out the bottom of their helmet. Standard Knights actually have mostly-exposed faces as well, just their armor is lighter in color (other than the red shoulderpads) so it blends together with their skin in Quake's limited palette and helps make them look sort of undead, plus most players don't get a good look at their face because they tend to die facing downwards and getting close to a living Knight is just asking for him to start ripping chunks out of your health.

the texture scaling on the wall in that image is making me angry, 1 texel to 1 unit you shits

No sins but you inspired me

This too, from the leaked icon and face texture, as well as the first comic, the QC Death Knight is definitely at least mostly dead. Interestingly, he's got his own somewhat unique helmet design as well, which doesn't quite match the one that already exists as a Ranger vanity item (a near 1:1 remake of the Q1 DK helmet and sword hanging from his belt).

come to think, is the third comic out yet?

Shit, used the tiny image instead of the big one.

somebody post the DK bio that one user came up with some time ago

AN UNHOLY ALTAR
SHOOT IT REPEATEDLY

Oh, and here's a relevant texture. That nigga dead.

They made him more of a Dead Knight than a Death one
Also, I have to recant him being a skellington, seems his nose has fallen off but he still has bits of flesh. That skin may even be the skin for the leaked portrait, I definitely see the nose hole

"I definitely see the nose hole." -/arena/, 2017

This is a blue board, we can't see the QC holes we actually want to (Ranger's boipucci)

>[Slash]'s boipucci

lizer cloaca

i would let slash ass fuck me without lube faster than you can say "rail to quad" and you are still the most disgusting person in this thread

as a new player i'd really appreciate if there was some indicator in maps at a spot where people can teleport to.. maybe color coded with the teleport in question so it's faster to learn that teleport X takes you to spot Y

it feels really wonky that people can just appear out of thin air next to you without there being anything telling you that the place they appeared at is an exit location of a teleport

Q1/Q2 maps did that usually with little squares on the ground that showed you where someone would teleport to (but not where the respawn points were, just the teleport destinations), but I think it was a practice kind of abandoned with Q3A and so forgotten by Q:C.

>you can now get lore without wasting time breaking open dumb ass pots
bliss

It's random 1 scroll among 8 players, retard. Good luck getting them all in 2030.

>Good luck getting them all in 2030.
I’ve gotten at least one every night I’ve played since the update
if have a better idea that doesn’t impede on gameplay I’m all for it

>played 5 matches
>got 3 scrolls
hmmmmmmmmmmmm

What will Sarge's lore be like? His artifact?

nonexistent

Maybe people with no scrolls have higher priority, I just needed 10 for Keel.

>idea that doesn’t impede on gameplay
This is the important thing for me. They can do whatever they want, as long as it doesn't impact gameplay. Like before, when people would just run around and try to get scrolls at the start of the round.

A cigar.

Are the servers offline?

our cuck nira plays without another bald cuck!

>can't even kill a single champ against bald cuck xhep

Wow nirah you are as SHIT as I thought.

literally searched through all the past generals and didn't find it
what the FUCK

reminder that xhep did worse than this shitter q3dm6 in tdm
how shit do you have to be to lose to him

nvm, found it
>Death Knight was the first of his order to face Ranger when he was going on a dimensional demon-slaying rampage. Killed swiftly and without effort, his spirit kept wandering the realm for decades, obsessed with revenge. Sensing Ranger's inevitable departure to the Arena Eternal, his body rose anew from the ashes and followed in the marine's wake.

>70 level
>still shit

They got rid of spawn indicators to prevent spawn camping

These aren't spawn indicators, they're teleport destination indicators.
And you can't prevent "spawn camping" just from removing an indicator, if it's still a fixed spawn it can be camped

hey you're free to duel me on his stream :)

>/arena/
>dueling
Are you forgetting that everything the Quakedad bogeyman does is literally rape except playing Quake?

You are free to get the fuck out of here you subhuman from twitch.

Don't reply to my posts ever again, you subhuman twitch filth.

you don't belong in this board

>gets called out
>A-user DISAGREES WITH ME AND CALLS ME BAD NAMES I W-WANT HIM TO LEEEEEEEAVEEEEEE

keep reporting you butthurt cuck
it won't make the pasta disappear

post quake oc memes

QC is dogshit

>trying to divert the attention from his childish behavior with literal shit low effort mey meys
not gonna work

they should remove abilities that can do damage and that can give invulnerability like ghost walk.

You don't belong to this website, newfag shitter from reddit. Stick to the twitch chat and never come back.

It's insanely fun, especially after the new patch

why are you so angry

Still waiting on servers+mods

Dumb image because Nyx is fucking OP this patch.
If anything, she's the one raping ranger and everyone else now.

because you're an underage, self-entitled hypocritical little cunt who lives in a bubble, needs a safe space and crawls back into its shell whenever someone exposes how full of shit you are

>one enemy is afk
>sweet now I can get my 10 combo kills
>fail to get combo kill even against afk enemy
Fuck this is fucking retarded.

So guys my QC just stopped working for no reason, just booted it up and it said "service not available". verified my game files and rebooted my PC? Anyone had this problem?

yeah, servers shat themselves

you follow me everywhere and post about me every day.
that means i'm doing something right

Aaaah I didn't get the memo.

i literally never move outside of this general, you deluded shitter, and you get your attention tingles once a week at best

>i literally never move outside of this general
you're posting in the quake discord?

also how does it feel that the only thing you're good at is shitposting? despite being in /arena/ you're dog trash at quake.

>despite being in /arena/ you're dog trash at quake.
But that's normal

>you're posting in the quake discord?
try again fag
>le thinken meme!!! xddd
you're genuinely retarded if you think there's only one person who hates your attitude

you're free to leave the general, because i'm here to stay

and you'll keep reporting posts that make huwt youw feewings
pathetic

>being nirah

a fate worse than death

atleast i'm not some noname trash player

>is nirah
>calling others trash

that's a good joke
post your "50% LG" webms

>discord

Kill yourself, fucking retard.
You are an obvious outsider here. Get lost already.

>atleast i'm not some noname trash player

You are the lelouch of /arena/

my mousepad is 12 1/2 by 10 1/2 inches or 32cm by 25cm
is that big enough?