Anyone here sell custom software or do freelance jobs?

Anyone here sell custom software or do freelance jobs?

What's in demand?
Where do you go to look for work?
What's a reasonable rate?

I'm beginner/intermediate level and I'm trying to build my skill set but I also want to build a clientele and make some money.

Honestly, people are going to be pissed that this is the first reply.. But build software that automatically trades cryptocurrency. Use Bittrex APIs.

Like trading algorithms?

I really want to sell some software i made (C# + WPF). It's even 90% functional and use it in my work. Just need to push that last mile to sell it. basically need a good way to update it and also a website. Shopify and woocommerce both advertise as being able to support software. just need to do it god damn.

Just create a basic website and figure out how the SEO stuff works (if it can be applied here?). Even if you lose money you'll learn a lot.

How long did it take you to build it? What does it do?

i only took me a few months but had gone years of iteration originally as an excel/vba program. It's rather niche tool to do with industrial systems data management. But with most industrial oriented software you can sell it for 50k+.

meant to reply to

If it's a solid program and you can sell it for that much I would and move on to something else.

Otherwise, maybe just sell licenses for your software. How long have you been programming?

like 15 years C#, WPF, R, node.js. Though the cryptobot sounds appealing. The guy selling gunbot was selling each bot for 0.1 btc and that was a very basic EMA1-EMA2 trading bot. all you have to do is not lose a bunch of money and people will think your bot works.

To be honest, anyone who buys a trading bot expected to continously profit is a moron.

You're far more experienced than me. I'm guessing you're making decent money now.

Right now I'm using java. What's your opinion on using Java vs C#? Obviously you're using C# so I figure there is a reason you're sticking with it.

If you're using windows exclusively then C# is strictly better. Super easy to transition from Java, but it'll take some time to learn about all the features and syntactic sugar that C# has and Java doesn't.

If you're going to freelance you need to make the right connections. Don't go to sites like up work or peopleperhour. The Pajeets have drastically lowered wages and the clients want you to make the next Twitter for $100. Look into open source projects you can join. This helps you get the attention of companies that will pay you what your worth or at least find good freelancing clients

Hello, you're me. I love making and polishing useful tools in C# wpf (forms reference for tray etc stuff) but I get stuck in a decision-making overload at 90% with everything I have to decide about how to best update and protect it. And then selling it... I'm not a people person and I hate marketing.

I use to write and sell software and scripts a decade ago and basically everything got stolen and resold on sites like blackhatworld. Sometimes they even replaced the copyright statement and said THEY had made it. The fucking nerve. Been paranoid ever since and unfortunately lower drive/motivation too.

Re: shopify/woo, shopify takes 2.9% + 30ยข (plus $29 -- Basic plan) and I assume with woo you use paypal which is 3,4%...is this correct? Been considering both on and off since I came up with a solution to my problem.. I won't sell software right away, instead I'm developing bots that create data products. less support, theft won't be such a huge issues since their versions will rapidly go out of date, etc.

Reply back and maybe we can share some useful info or motivation.

Once I hooked up with a marketing type guy for a 50/50 split on a program I made. Was perfect; he handled the site, sales, marketing, I handled development of the product itself, and the money rolled in. Until we got a critical article in a newspaper (some spammers abused it) and he not only freaked out and shut it all down but took off with the undistributed funds for the last month or so, around $5k.

Here's something fun I made a couple months ago that I've been using heavily since. Sits in the tray and alerts me with an excerpt and a link within seconds when certain things are posted on full or half chan. Should be worth a couple dozen dollar a copy for a bunch of use cases. 99% done but no autoupdate or DRM yet, like I said that stumps me.

Might just give it out free to get backlinks to the (mainly) data products site I'm planning.

Trying to dive into python and data analytics, but I am pretty novice in it. Where can I find these kind of projects that would make use of my noob skills?

Bump

I'd recommend you focus on trying to create a way to integrate mobile Java development into your software solutions if you want clients to care about them.

Thank you. This was what I started looking at first and quickly moved on. One post literally said you'll be working for $7 an hour.

Why the fuck would anyone with any skill set work for that much? You'd have to live in a third world country.

I wonder if he molests himself...