ITT: bizarre religious beliefs/practices

Pic related. I mean, how did they even come up with this shit?

Also apparently some Hispanic Christians believe they are literally eating Jesus's physical flesh and blood. Aztec influence maybe?

Other urls found in this thread:

catholicdigest.com/articles/faith/heritage/2010/12-06/mysteries-of-the-eucharist-part-1
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_presence_of_Christ_in_the_Eucharist#Orthodox:_Definitive_change
youtube.com/watch?v=0a3eJC3qAFU
youtube.com/watch?v=cwBVcsWYJd8
youtube.com/watch?v=Kcd1a68YQq0
lds.org/new-era/1981/06/maori-traditions-and-the-mormon-church?lang=eng
youtube.com/watch?v=ErKdy2OwHDc
youtube.com/watch?v=1hl9KM_7EAg
youtube.com/watch?v=hXKJrh92jtw
youtube.com/watch?v=_JdEdAVVQWU
youtube.com/watch?v=iY0q-QJHxBI
youtube.com/watch?v=a54iqEr1flQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ossuary
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>dude this one aspect of believing in an invisible omnipresent sky father is illogical and hard to understand lmao
go away

>Also apparently some Hispanic Christians believe

All catholics and othodox people belief its his literal flesh and blood since the early middleages.
Its not atztec influence, the atztecs were more like "hey that sounds familiar!".

tips fedora

catholic is transubstantiation
orthodox is DUDE MYSTERY LMAO

> DUDE MYSTERY LMAO

"Can you explain how God is present with us in the Eucharist?

No. Explaining how God is present to us is impossible for it is a theological mystery, in the strict sense. "

catholicdigest.com/articles/faith/heritage/2010/12-06/mysteries-of-the-eucharist-part-1

But they also call it the mystery.

At least they don't try to come up with bullshit scholastic pseudo-philosophical explanations.

>It's the appearence of the bread, but the essence is Jesus!

God I fucking hate Aquinas and scholasticism so fucking much. DON'T try to explain every little thing you faggot, you're ruining it and making it look stupid.

I mix comingled semen and menstrual fluid into my Eucharist.

still a different take

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_presence_of_Christ_in_the_Eucharist#Orthodox:_Definitive_change

>you make it lookk stupid

Nah, whats the alternative?
Start allahuackbaring and shouting your opposite down once the questions become too specific?

Scholasticism means having an answer for even the smuggest of questions trying to poke holes in your theology, even if they only lead to further questions which you can also answer until you wonder how many angels can stand on top of a needlepin.

Still, if you reach that point your opposite needs to be well teached in the faith already, if not you at least show him that you mean serious business with your beliefs as how they look today doesnt matter (but being inconsistent does!) for the pious ones and didnt during aquinas time.

Not sure if you're serious or not, but that sounds like something Gnostics would actually do.

Mormonism

youtube.com/watch?v=0a3eJC3qAFU

Ape of Thoth often writes about gnostic stuff and seems to be into it.

I'm dead serious.

My Eucharist is prepared as a cake; flour, wine, honey, beeswing, oil of abramelin, plus the elixir.

^Bingo.

funny i practise catholicism. it is prehistoric compared to other christianities though in the magic that is in it. kind of crazy. even compared to pentecostals. i can honestly bet that most priests dont honestly believe in transubstantiation but thats my biased supposition.

>But don’t we have doctrines that explain these mysteries?
Not really. Doctrines do not really explain these mysteries — nothing can explain them completely. But doctrines offer theological guidelines for thinking and talking about these unique mysteries of faith.

>But aren’t these doctrines the basis of our faith?

No, the basis of our faith is the mystery itself. The doctrines help us to understand and talk about the mystery, but they are not the mystery. Doctrine about the Real Presence concerns how best to think and talk about this mystery.

>>kind of dont get it, how do we know there is a mystery in the first place. its not really in the bible is it?

>even compared to pentecostals
youtube.com/watch?v=cwBVcsWYJd8
youtube.com/watch?v=Kcd1a68YQq0

Manichaeism

hahaha ffs i really want to ask them what god meant when he let that guy die.

i swear the bible said you should also abide by the law and authority of your nation.

>take a single bible verse
>start a new denomination revolving around it

Why are women more receptive to the 'holy fire'?

>speaking in tongues

How do they do it?

Funny you should mention allahuackbaring with reference to medieval Catholicism. I think the irony has escaped you there.

Scholastic "disputations" were done using ready-made questions, either in an extremely controled environment (universities) or against literary strawmen in books.

The first time a worthy opponent (Descartes) stepped up to the challenge of actually disputing with scholastic philosophy the church tried to allahuackbar him and he had to run for his life. His books remainded in the index of prohibited books until the 20th century.

This is a fundamentally non-Christian answer but women have fundamentally been viewed as easier pylons of spiritual transmission, be it Crowley's Scarlet Women, Arthur Gauntlet's seer, to Yoginis having various skywalkers evoked into them, to Delphi.

The Holy Spirit.

Maori Mormonism
lds.org/new-era/1981/06/maori-traditions-and-the-mormon-church?lang=eng

Why would you assume that most priests don't believe in transubstantiation? It's a central pillar of Church teaching.

You're right about Catholicism being old-fashioned, though. The Church takes a lot of old things seriously, including magic and astrology. After all, Catholics are still forbidden from having their fortunes told.

youtube.com/watch?v=ErKdy2OwHDc

>bizarre practizes

Hoo boy here we go

youtube.com/watch?v=1hl9KM_7EAg

youtube.com/watch?v=hXKJrh92jtw

youtube.com/watch?v=_JdEdAVVQWU

youtube.com/watch?v=iY0q-QJHxBI

youtube.com/watch?v=a54iqEr1flQ

Wait, what exactly is bizarre about Zikr?

because in this modern day and age its quite frankly abit ridiculous. they're very intelligent people. i think priests just as anyone is going to be fall victim to times of doubt, even for long periods and i think transubstantiation is going to be at the forefront, because its so in your-face-supernatural. its like, do these blessings i do really make that happening, becoming a priest etc. ive always wondered if something weird is supposed to happen if you like throw the bread in the bin. like does it turn back to bread?

look at how supersititious catholics are; lighting the candles, all the specific prayers, pray to this saint, he'll protect me from this that, better pray to that one, do my divine mercy at exactly 3pm. crazy how many specific procedures they have to elicit divine intervention or communication.

funny actually, was talking to people in catholic chaplaincy once, someone was asking if studio ghibli anime films count as witchcraft or something lool.

Modern western upbringing is culturally sterile of any mysticism and harsher practizes.
The bullsacrifiece is actually the least weirdest one as the give and take towards an invisible force you impress by bringing an animal soul into the afterlife/whatever for attention is the easiest to comprehend.

As blood and bartering with spirits is gross for the modern westener I included it in the bizarro corner.
For that same reason, being loud, unrestrained and dancing in ecstasis while chanting the many names of allah to get nearer to the creator though this impressive activity is also weird for us as onlookers even if no bloodletting or macabre stuff is involved.

To my eyes Zikr seems no more strange than any other song or dance, just odd to see it on a list with blood rites.

Then again I was raised in an environment where that sort of communal activity wasn't exactly uncommon, I feel you on the general western sterility.

i think miracles might be another area in catholicism which for some people might border on too magical. they bloody love their miracles in general though.

world has changed alot since 489 and even religious people are given a good reason to be skeptical or things like miracles (or ghosts) if they ever came across one. obviously not everyone but yeah.

America?
Anything faster then folding your hands as an adult is seen as weird here.

lmao reminds me of the scenes in borat with the disco dancing if youve ever seen that

>America
Eyup. Born and raised, though it's exchanges like seeing community song and dance that classed as radical that highlight how uncommon my upbringing was. I spent a lot of time on the pow-wow circuit as a kid. From nine to eleven the elders noticed me keeping pace with the drum circle, started training me to lead songs. Then just before 12 the local community collapsed (where I live was emphatically not Indian country) due to disputes over jurisdiction.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ossuary

>not indian country
Nice that you indians keep also touch outside of resevations and manage to sustain cultural enclaves there.

>uncommon
Eh, Im not sure.
Is the pow-wow even something spiritual?
Africa and India surely dance and sing a lot when it comes to religion, evangelicals too.
China seems quiet reserved, but I have no clue how their religious communities act.
Maybe we western euros are the uncommon ones then with being very stiff about that nowadays.

What do other denominations make of these guys?

>Is the pow-wow even something spiritual
Depends on who, what, where, when, etc.
*Generally* speaking it caters to pan-Amerindism, so like as many tribes as can get represented doing everything from spiritually significant song and dance to just like community song and dance.

I mean uncommon compared to my neighbors who were playing baseball in the summers while I listened to tribal elders ramble about Grandfather Turtle and frybread while musical conventions.

>while -teaching- musical conventions

Heresy. Batshit fundies.

What do you guys think about the theory that Jesus's disciples actually literally ate his body?

we've already done this batfag

> being this ignorant of other's beliefs when the answers you're looking for are written in an abundance and can be accessed with a simple google search

nod an argumend :DDD