/agdg/ - Amateur Game Development General

/agdg/ - You are all wonderful people even if you're having a hard time in life right now edition

> Next Demo Day 18
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-18

> Play Demo Day 17
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-17

> Play Mecha Jam
itch.io/jam/op-mechanoid

> Helpful links
Weekly Recap: recap.agdg.io
AGDG Steam Games: homph.com/steam
Fanart and stuff: drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6j4pcv3V-vfb3hKSlhRRzlLbFE
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627 (embed) (embed)

Previous Thread: Previous Demo Days: pastebin.com/74btH1aJ (embed) (embed)
Previous Jams: pastebin.com/mU021G8w (embed) (embed)

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
freemusicarchive.org
incompetech.com/music
fantasymusica.org

> How to Webm
obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QL6Ws4i07is
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neko_Atsume
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why isn't your game cute?

lewd > cute

you're not going to make it.

there's no point to living.

give up and kill yourself.

Because it doesn't have assets yet

>You are all wonderful people even if you're having a hard time in life right now edition
Thank you user, I haven't been very happy lately, but I will keep trying

I am gonna make it. We all gonna make it.

Having only made PC games before, what should I look out for when trying mobile for the first time. Besides it's shit and I won't make it. Unity btw

Lewd + Cute

>Unity btw
Change to a better engine for mobile.

Everything will be ripped off if your game is even remotely interesting.

You shouldn't make mobile games, it's shittier in every way including profit.

if i don't make it then i've already invalidated your claim. you're living a lie and the sooner you realize it, the better.

Needs a round or two of polish but it's functionally done.

I believe you will make it

he's right though

Nobody makes it, people are either satisfied with themselves, or not, and that's all that matters.

I am the envy of every single person who has ever died.

I got that shit out my system at 16.

yeah dude rick and morty is so cool xD

Like this?

Yes

These thoughts are the only things that fill my head and my game suffers for it

Lookin good user, I love spears, not enough games use those as a player weapon

Someone spoonfeed me on how to make money off my games.

Take your pedo trash back to /b/

how can i improve him, Veeky Forums?

Just like release game people want

if optimism is what you need to survive then you're already gone

you dont because you don't have any, or they're so garbage tier that they're worthless

delete it and start over

easy for you to say t.nogames

>finish demo of my game that I can't continue with until a few months pass
>atleast I can submit it to DD18 to get some you's
>january
truly suffering tier, but atleast I will get my you's then

hey everyone, want spoilers on this guys's demo?
it's shit

i am not good at art

Sure, the 200MB HTML5 game takes nearly 10 minutes to load, but given that I've spent the last few hours installing updates to play the new Final Fantasy DLC, I'd say gamers as a whole seem to have gotten used to this level of patience by now.

Can you make him bigger? he looks a bit like an eggplant knight

Pretty neat looking so far! What are the benefits of each grip and do you have any more planned?

>have exams the second week of january
>can't make demo for DD18
A different, but comparable suffering.

On a high speed connection that doesn't really sound like it would be an issue

>stacking text
Tis the devil's work, Townsend,

Gives me an idea for a vr game. Slashing/swinging weapons in vr is always wonky, but stabbing is pretty solid.

Either way, I like what I see. Gj user, throw on some paint and let me be a general of an army.

Looks like a morrowind, I like it.

Drugs! Get your drugs at the drug selling store!

Maybe I will be fine with just shooting, evading and parries for combat? Fuck, I don't know anymore.

you can't get anywhere in the game development studio in canada if you aren't gay

the velvet mafia is way too powerful here. if you won't suck off someone then you just aren't getting in. they only hire their own people

>game development studio
nigga just rent a flat
game dev does not require any kind of infrastructure whatsoever

Just lie down and think of mother england

Thanks for the positive comments!

Functionally the two-handed grip has longer range than the shielded one but it' can't block and needs to be aimed.
When the player finds the shield, the regular walking grip has a regular attack with longer range vs. a shorter range attack while blocking.

I plan on each weapon having either two grips or firing modes mapped to a switch button.

I can tell you that this is blatantly false from experience when it comes to programming, at least in the AAA scene. Maybe for indie devs there's more SJWs or something.

I know two people who work for EA in Canada and I don't even live on that continent.

Maybe the problem isn't that you don't suck dick, but that you suck in general.

thats rude and also just an opinion and your opinion is wrong

Post .webm and get (You)s now

I'm bad at making cute things, but I'm working on it okay.

But if you're not already gone, why be pessimistic?

youtube.com/watch?v=QL6Ws4i07is

how much money can you make off making a goat simulator doing cute things?

>inb4 that shitty goat game simulator

it's more of an art problem

Am I also able to purchase some kind of mask to avoid breathing in all those toxic fumes?

I do like the look of the green haze over the yellow haze if I'm being honest though. Whats your game about?

Maybe keep some sort of counter for how many times a boss does a certain attack in a row, and do some different attacks that leave the boss more open to counterattack if it is feeling repetitive. Although, a loop of shoot and evade is all I see out of most games and they do just fine, variety in the evades and shooting is what combats feeling too samey.

Make a game about raising cute baby goats that do silly goat stuff.

He's been here longer than you, have some respect.

anime has rotted your brain

That mobile game where you randomly get cats to show up, with practically no game play at all has over 19 million downloads and has a movie deal in the works.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neko_Atsume

cats are the staple cute animals next to dogs
goat are a literally who

do u realize nintendogs sells more than Call of duty and tamagotchi was a big thing some years ago, right?

>he has never been taken to a farm as a kid
next you will say chickens are literally who.

Goats are the staple cute animal of all farm animals.

>nintendogs sales
Yeah, I believe you, user wanted to know if cute sells, that cat thing was the first thing that came to mind since most of my friends talked about it.
You could level up tamagotchi though, you pretty much just observe the cats.

That's a tough argument, especially with ducklings/chicks existing.

Forget cats and dogs, go for the low key meme animals like trash pandas and capybaras.

Possibly baby elephants.

I'm telling you, the first one of you motherfuckers that makes a good Chao Garden clone will hit it rich.

Racoons are top tier, a videogame where you play a racoon doing racoon stuff and living in garbage would be a hit.

I'm just manipulating the boss moveset to get this combo. It happens when someone consistently does wonky dodges, but it still feels cool to survive this. I do need more moves, but not exactly for fixing this case.
Also, not having invincibility-frames dodges is just walking on a tight rope.

cant, hes gonna be that small in game. and yeah, its literally jim sterling with an eggplant body and some high heel tims

I feel like a big part of what gave it substance was the fact that there was actually some effort involved in getting the resources.

If you're going to make a chao garden you need a real game along with it.

A game about being a capybara and just being an all around chill bro with everyone

Out of interest I checked whether rule 5 actually produces decent islands by itself and it turns out it's pretty fucking garbage on its own and much better suited to cave systems as you suspected. However if you experiment with using different successive smoothing rules as well as starting densities you can still get fairly decent results. Pic related is initial land density of 0.32, with smoothing applied in the order 4, 4 in place, then 3 rounds of 6.

That's true, but most people just played the few good levels that SA2 had over and over to get the animals and things for the chao. So I don't think you would need a full game, it could be some semi-randomly generated areas where you can go to gain the resources needed to take care of the creatures. Some simple combat, exploration, and resource gathering would be enough.

Will naming a town the same as one from a film that inspired your game get you sued?

I would play it.

What do y'all think of this concept:

using texture pop-in to create a disorienting horror experience. Say you're in a dark forest and you have a certain amount of trees in the upcoming periphery load textures that look like figures that pop into regular trees or something?

Is it worth it? You can upgrade later to pro if you win the indie lottery and your game somehow makes over 100k right?

Dead Rising got sued for less

spooky on paper but would get old fast

Only make it happen for a few trees, not every single tree.

Cool idea, but it's execution that matters, especially for horror.
Make sure they don't unload the moment the player crosses back to the other side of the trigger. The player should question whether they were always there.

Took a break from combat design for more level assets.

Working on Bombshell Beach, and I've developed a couple of key assets. First is the climbable tree for this level; as a part of that design (since it's a palm tree), I've updated Dixie's climbing mechanics to allow climbing poles to be set at any angle.

Second is the "punch boulder"; this is a gatekeeper piece to ensure you unlock Charge Attacks, and when struck with a charged attack it goes flying. The catch is, it moves only in cardinal directions, so I've developed a little push-block puzzle around it (reminiscent of everyone's favorite Strength cave puzzles in Pokemon) which will net you a husk for completing it. The first level of Dixie kind of hands out husks just for walking around and looking at things (with the Leusze's Lunch mission being an exception); I do intend to include more puzzles as well, like this one.

The assets on this aren't quite done; it needs some sort of system of cracks-in-an-arrow-shape to indicate the cardinal directions it moves, and I'd like to have some in-air flipping animation on it when it's smacked, but it's a start.

Also I feel like some easy way of resetting the puzzle (easier than reloading the level) would probably be a good idea.

Yes you can purchase anything at Drugs. Here it is at a different time of day, probably looks a bit nicer. It's a dark, surreal political thriller RPG in the vein of killer 7. atm just collecting a bunch of assets for the hub world map

Well I don't think a whole game could be based around it but for particularly tense or disorienting sections is more what I meant

Yeah that's what I was thinking

The climbing looks to slow for how fast and action-y everything else is.

connected the arrow firing to the grid.

I actually tuned up the rate; what I think it needs is to have the animations themselves accelerated so that it looks more dynamic. The physical movement across the vertical plane is faster than when wall-kicking, it's just sluggish.

Good note though, thanks!

You're basically buying yourself more work, does the art style in your game require that software?
Are you familiar with similar open source tools, or will you have to learn a whole new skillset? It does look like a pretty good deal, paying on avg. 81 NZ for each, but I would try to find more concrete info on that licensing agreement before purchasing.

looks like total shit

see above

no one cares autist

opinions can't be wrong you brainlet

garbage and no one cares

name it fartbox you fucking cunt sniffer

sure spend money on something you'll never sue faggot

looks like total shit you should've given up after mayhem league was dropped can't you realize when you've failed

not too late to just stop now

Before I go in and fuck everything up, just wanna makk sure I'm doin good in god's eyes

fuck off fag

make me you sniveling cunt

Yeah, speeding up the climbing animation would actually probably be enough.

OH MY GOD I'M SO ANGRY I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'RE SO MEAN FUCK YOU MAN I HOPE YOU CAN FEEL MY ANGER THROUGH THE INTERNET

I think it's an improvement.

new looks better, old looks like numale trash

Nice, are they supposed to be actual arrows or more like homing magic arrows? If it's the former, I think I'd expect a more arcing path, so they fall from above and land more like straight down.

Is the next thing for the arrows stuck in the ground to move from right to left, to keep up the illusion the player is riding forward?

The new one is an improvement my son.

suck my small cock you little twink boy

you're all gonna die alone

Yeah I like the new

Thanks mina, thanks christo-sama. Just makin sure.

>dude im so depressed so im going to talk shit on everyone
on par with source samefag and only above shittalking people on devs' behalf to ruin their name

keep talking fag no one cares. stop samefagging