/domg/ - Dominions General

New Nation edition

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.
The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 3000 units, 900 spells and 400 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.
It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.
Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/wjbSA98Y

>Drawfaggotry
dominionsdraws.imgur.com/

>DOMINIONS 5 IS OUT.

>Where do I get it?
Currently only available on Steam.
store.steampowered.com/app/722060/Dominions_5__Warriors_of_the_Faith/

>Manual
illwinter.com/dom5/dom5manual.pdf
illwinter.com/dom5/dom5tables.pdf

>Mod inspector
larzm42.github.io/dom5inspector/

>Multiplayer guide
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1212948582

>Debug mod
dropbox.com/s/gc9io6paebo4pj3/Debug_501.zip?dl=0

>How do I change the fonts?
Replace guifont.ttf, guifont_fancy.ttf and guifont_texty.ttf in the game's 'data' folder (C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Dominions5\data usually).

>Is there an easier way to play multiplayer?
Yes.
rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/dominions-4-pbem-manager-new-stuff.104015/
Works for Dominions 5 just as well.

>Completed games
Submit them here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeuclmaCiRo8vcTztsKjPJxnBgRDE-E1uNvE5j0x5wDZMMhRA/viewform
Results:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OxILAa3Y_O7Vk2NFhKAAQfStHqh1WJXMkGCim9sQ_ns/edit#gid=1292233344

>OP pastebin
Just copypaste it and link the previous thread below.
pastebin.com/RbFWcFcU

>Previous Pantokrator:

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/app/722060/discussions/0/1621724915768145264/
z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=3695
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The drawings on this board for a war-game are very effeminate and concerning.

what's this talk of debt giant nation
is it just something datamined or has there been official word on it

There was official word as a result of the datamine.

Are you gay or something, son?

No but seriously.

How do you get your mages to stop casting dumb or pointless spells? How do you get them to spam their big powerful offensive or buff spells you want?

Script them.

You should be able to script big buff spells or battlefield enchantments in the first 5 turns, and the AI will actually cast a decent number of evocations on its own if it has targets in range.

once your pea-brain mages get done following your orders you're just gonna have to deal with the fact they won't contribute much besides buffing themselves for a few turns and then maybe actually doing something useful

link?

>Finish expansion
>Have a fat sacred stack
>Don't know who to attack

MA Vanheim intelligent design.

A blessed union of A4 cap only randoms and A2 fortrec magi

MA vanheim intelligent Design

Yeah, its like EA vanheim but worse. Whats the point?

Attack anyone but me.

Hey Ulm, can you send me 6 earth gems? I'll give you 150 gold

MAKE A NEW MA GAME YOU KEKS

>mummy gives me what I want when I scream long enough so anons will too

WHAT ARE THE KEYS FOR MOVE AND PATROL

MAKE A NEW MA GAME AND I'LL TELL YOU

steamcommunity.com/app/722060/discussions/0/1621724915768145264/

There's also an unofficial spoiler sourced to Amuys:
>Mekone (EA) - Phlegra (MA) - Phlegra (LA): Greek giants with increased monstrosity. EA large heroic hoplites, MA more bestial lestrigones, LA huge horrible serpentlegged gigantes.
I don't know where he posted that though, I got it from this thread:
z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=3695

Alright fag, here you go: www.llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=MummyMAkeMeMA

Control+Click (assuming you mean how to move instead of sneak) and X respectively. You can hit ? on pretty much any screen to see the relevant hotkeys.

No shortcut afaict, you have to select it from the commander menu.
No, he means moving to a fort and then patrolling, called "move patrol."

spoiled for gore

That's some bullshit, I remember there being a shortcut in dom4 or something

thanks though

Well if you find one, do post it, because that would be nice to know about.

What the fuck

Christmas should be abolished.

What's the best way to kill one of your twiceborned dudes? I thought drowning them would work but apparently it doesn't.

Asking again in new thread, I decided to use twiceborn as a kind of insurance, is that the best I can do? What about nations that don't have death or blood?

How exactly does fatigue work? If I set someone to hold, does that reduce fatigue?

If you set a female commander to hold and assign her an attractive male bodyguard unit, will they hold eachother in the sweet embrace of passion?

If you mean "Hold one turn" then it will because they'll get some fatigue back and not spend any.

When you act, your Encumbrance adds to fatigue. That's it. There is an additional encumbered cost for casting but I forget the exact percentage. Basically casting in armour is tiring. This is on top of the base cost of the spell.

Tell me about the Jotuns.
Why do they worship the Rimtursar?

because they're eeeevil

They just think that the Rimtursar are some generally cool dudes.

Delete this

>they'll get some fatigue back
Even without reinvigorate? Is it a lot?

Post your irl scales

Spain?

Chill out.

>cast phantasmal warrior
>BRAAP

>Even without reinvigorate?
Units have native 1 reinvig now always.

>Is it a lot?
Not unless you add extra reinvig items or buffs.

So what's the point of trinket items? Why would anyone use these?

To spam someone's treasury, so that the items he forges this turn are effectively list.

Blacksteel (Full) Plate, rings of resistance, and rabbit foot all have their uses. The rest could stand to go.

Early thugs to bully people during expansion or to help expand if you have good commanders?

But also, Rabbits Foot.

I'd love to be able to get some Blacksteel for certain nations as well but by the time you can think about making it, you don't need to.

There are niche uses for some of them. The resistance rings can be useful for thugs/SCs that will be facing specific elemental mages (especially the ring of frost vs. frozen heart). The blacksteel helmet is useful for early thugs that don't come with one.

okey dokey

no
this is not me I want 300 gold, same as top tier alchemy casting, because gems > gold

What would faith and magic determine?

how to air magic underwater

thugs and buffs (mistform, mirror image and fog warriors)
false horrors phantasmal army and confusion also

and shimmering fields for some reason (???)
I think that's literally everything you've got

is there a technique to know where to site search? i 9 searched 4 paths on like 12m provinces and barely got any sites.

how can i detect when a provinces has sites?

I think in terms of sites it goes
thrones>wastes>forest/mountain/swamp>plains/highlands>farmland

It is random what each province gets in terms of its sites and paths I believe.

However; read the tool tips on terrain types. Swamps and Forests have more magic sites to balance out their shit income. Farms have less sites to balance out their high population and high income, etc.

yeah but i mean particular indications that there may be a site somehwere in the province

i know that some sites have d scales on the province. what are other indications that a province has a site? is there a list?

Unusal scales can give you some info as well. Like if a prov has death scales when you took growth there's probably a death site causing it.

Mod inspector has a list.

Maps may also have so-called manysites provinces (thrones are this way by default) or guaranteed site of a certain type. Look around the map editor to check. I haven't looked carefully into this but I believe random maps quite often put fire sites at volcanoes and such like for example.

Ermor, how did you consider it a good idea to move right next to my capital without a specific warning?

A tip on taking capitals is not to actually attack. You can pile thousands of skeletons and they won´t starve, while the enemy inside will eventually run out of food and start getting diseases. It might take a very long time, but eventually they´ll have to come out and fight you.

If you can´t wait him out, then you gotta bring summons and evocations. Skeletons only count as an army up until the early-middle game, after that they´re just chaff and you have to bring something else to do the actual killing.

Was trying to get Agartha and I didn't see any of your forces in the area. They must've been in the capital or something... Well, still have sufficient amount of forces to help you against Agartha but I need to regroup

Also,

>no mage support

A few mages can make a HUGE difference in a battle. Sometimes it´s OK not to send mages to the first early war, depending on the nations involved and the current situation, but in general you ALWAYS want to have mages with your armies.

Specially if you´re playing a nation of chaff troops.

Something like this

Dominion is how much influence native faith has. Magic is how superstitious people are.

I'm really bad at this, what does growth mean?

Meanwhile, in Machaka.

Now both of you have lost an army to the smallest faction in the game. How embarrassing.

da kaangz

Beating a stack of Ermor chaff by using every single mage in your empire and your pretender isn't *that* impressive.

In this context, probably how creative/uncreative you are.

>Magic is how superstitious people are.
Is it superstition if it's actually how the world works?

Magical lands in dominions simply have more magical and mysterious shit going on.

Especially since Ermor was storming his cap. He might have lost the battle if it was not a siege.

>In this context, probably how creative/uncreative you are.
That's specifically for Magic scales, in case it wasn't clear. Faith I have no idea about.

How strong and healthy you are around people that believe in you or trust you.

Is this supposed to be the scales of where you live? Or of yourself as a person? Because I assumed the former like this guy but it sounds like people are taking it the other way.

t. Ermor

Neither is not knowing you should have proper mage support in important battles.

New LA game when?

Make one. I have a stupid Jomon build I want to try over and over until I win a game with it.

Has there ever been a canonical or "written out" reason for each school's placement in the spell schools?

I understand for game reasons but for in game lore- is there any specific reason beyond game balancing or choices why certain spells are a certain place? Conjuration and Evocation make enough sense, as does Blood Magic, but what about Enchantment, Alteration, and Thaumaturgy? Why is each spell put into each category?

Alteration is changing/enhancing the existing properties of things. Enchantment is adding magical properties to mundane things. That's why flaming arrows is Enchantment, but a spell that made the arrows sharper would be Alteration. Or why regeneration is Enchantment (adding the ability to regenerate) while Mistform is Alteration (changing the physical consistency of a person's body).

Thaumaturgy is general sorcery/magic dickery, with a focus on mind/soul control and other astral-y sort of magic. It's definitely the vaguest school lore wise.

Ahh good, thanks for clarification. I was really struggling on Thaumaturgy. I'm considering writing up some homebrew tabletop RPG game rules using Dominions as a base, not sure how many of the original dice roll mechanics I'd import, but the magic system is of particular interest.

not a canonical written out one no, but there's headcanon there

Thaum is magic of the mind, soul and cosmos, a couple spells that dont quite fit anything else and disease. The last two are probably there to flesh out the school because mind/soul/cosmos doesn't quite leave thaum with enough spells.

this sums up Alt/Ench nicely, I dont have anything to add

How is MA Machaka

sacred spider riders are pretty gud
but the mage paths are meh and the rest of the units are crap

How could it go from Buda awesomeness to this

time to face it bruh
the best Machakan nation is Berytos
Brides-In-Waiting a best

Where is my LA Machaka with Christianism/Islam/Voodoo cults, missionaries, failing infrastructures, vengeful spirits and corrupt politicians

>Brides-In-Waiting a best
>thots who want the BMD
Ermor did nothing wrong by wiping them out

>italian manlets sperging out over women desiring superior seed

woah
so THIS is the face of a man who has been MELQ'D

And Brides-In-Waiting might be race traitors but they're loyal and faithful race traitors. Your dirty witches throw themselves at any street walking bouda or kang.

MA Machaka should have strong national summons. There is such a plethora of fun and varied evil spirits in west african myths, absolute scandal it's not exploited.

>Loyal and faithful traitors
Heh

race* traitors
very different thing

like being a devout heretic

I want to go full 360 noscope with archers, what is best nation for it?

EA kailasa has sacred archers, are they worth of precision bless, or do I have to wait mod game for this

Man :^)

One of the gook demon races with the little midget goblins

+

fire arrows spell
enjoy

I'd say LA T'ien Ch'i. Their horse archers are quite good and perform quite well in melee also, and they can recruit more horse archers from every province.

Be aware that archers tend to get countered pretty hard by Air magic like Mist, Storm and Arrow Fend. Which is part of why I like T'ien Ch'i, because even when your arrows become useless you can still tear shit up in melee.

Man is the actual archer nation, with very good longbows and in LA they get Wardens which are crossbowmen which are also sacred melee troops, but Man as a whole just isn't very good.

As said, a nation with cheap spammable archers and access to Fire Arrows can be quite dangerous especially in early-midgame.

So I'm a newbie at this game and I placed a mage in a group of soldiers, told him to cast gift of the hare a few times, and the soldiers to hold and attack. Sure enough, they waited and he casted twice so they could attack but I didn't really see any signs that they were buffed. I even clicked around on the units to see if any squares had gotten the buff and it didn't look like any visibly got more movement speed.

What am I doing wrong exactly?

A 90% chaff army with minimal mage support vs. a bunch of evo spamming mages is a very clear and previssible result, though, specially if the chaff is assaulting a capital.

I just didn´t expect you´d actually have so many mages, considering how you only managed to capture like two or three provinces in one year despite having a shitload of empty terrain with weakish indies around you.

Not sure what Ermor was thinking, though. I hope he´s actually got a few mages somewhere.

In certain mythological and belief systems, superstition, or how much you believe into something, directly impacts how powerful that thing is.

It´s fits pretty well in Dominions as a thematically friendly explanation, if "magic´s just, like, stronger there" doesn´t quite cut it for you.

Gift of the hare only buffs a square at a time with an N1 mage, maybe the buffed troops were being blocked by non buffed ones?

Maybe it just raised the speed stat? Not sure what that spell did exactly.

In any case, when you select a guy in the battlefield, you don´t actually select a guy but the square itself. You can see all the troops in that square separately. The game automatically picks one for you (the most powerful unit, or one at random if they´re the same), and you can change which one you´re currently viewing by clicking on the little sprite of the other guys that you can see on the bottom left corner of the information square where you see all the info of whatever guy you´re looking at.

Maybe all the guys who got buffed stepped into other squares and you could only see other guys in those squares.

is it good?