Eastern Orthodox Church

So, Veeky Forums, I want to go to an Orthodox church.
I'm not here to debate legitimacy of tradition or theology or anything. I want to just go and observe and participate and see what it's all about.

What the heck should I expect? What is expected during the services? How should I be dressed? What are some do's and don'ts?

I grew up in your typical basic bitch Protestant fundie house, and I tend to be pretty all over the place with my own spiritual beliefs, mind you. I'm about to go to the local Hindu shrine and give an offering of an expensive statue of Shiva I've had for some time, just to give you an idea of where I'm at.

Really, what is it all about? How do I get the most out of the experience?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OYg5D6gpe98
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Romaniafag here
Don't expect much. Lots of prayer and church songs. Lots of reading from the bible. Most of the churches that i have atrended are very open to the masses and as long as you don't wear shorts and a t-shirt, nobody will bother you. If you go for the lithurgy (or whatever it's called in english), do not interrupt the priest. A good priest will stay after it for any questions the attendees might have. Just be pious, cross when others do if you can and want, and do not be obnoxious. If you are merely visiting, nobody will tell you anything as long as you respect the church.

You think anyone will have a problem if I smell a little like weed, or cigarette smoke?

I don't smoke much anymore but everything I own fucking reeks like it.

are you LARPing?

Also where is Constie when you need him?

Expect chanting and praying. Try to be quiet, when you speak try to be silent. Don't interrupt the priest, you can ask him questions later.
Try to dress decently, nothing fancy, just wear long sleeves and no one will mind.
Cross yourself when others do. Also it goes:
forehead, navel, right shoulder, left shoulder.
Position your fingers like pic related
I don't think that would be a problem.
Also, expect standing.
I looked up liturgy in English for you.
youtube.com/watch?v=OYg5D6gpe98

No, not LARPing. I need something spiritual in my life that is a little more tangible and structured than just reading books by myself, and I'm recovering from numerous tooth extractions AND a broken thumb so I don't have shit else to do.

Do I cross with my right or my left hand?

Right hand.

Wash your clothes, jfc ffs

Ahh fuck. Broken thumb gonna make that difficult. Fuck it, I'll try. Doubt anyone will have a go at me for flimsy crossing with a broken hand.

Hats on or off? I had to keep my hat on when I went to my Jewish buddy's wedding. Do Orthodox have rules for head gear?

Dude I've still got the shit coming out of my pores and my whole house smells like it. I'll give it a shot but I know that to your average teetotaller type I probably reek.

No hats. I don't think anyone will mind (getting the side wrong is a bit more noticeable).

When crossing it is right to left not left to right.

Thanks for the tips, guys.

Hopefully it's as eddifying an experience as I'm hoping it will be.

you probably dont even have to do it, no one will give a shit. if you smell of weed ppl will judge you funny obviously.

In general : guys how similar is orthodox mass to catholic one?

Jesus it's weird hearing Arabic style chanting in English

>In general : guys how similar is orthodox mass to catholic one?
Depends on which form/rite of the catholic mass. Novus Ordo is very very dissimilar to the Orthodox service.

Considering he's not a believer and certainly not even a catechumen, I really don't think he should be crossing himself. The sign of the cross is not some meaningless gesture and we shouldn't be encouraging people who...

>I'm about to go to the local Hindu shrine and give an offering of an expensive statue of Shiva I've had for some time, just to give you an idea of where I'm at.

...do this to be making it until they are fully committed to the Church.

Fuck I was about 15 the last time I went, I barely remember anything
In short
>icons everywhere
>long as all hell sermon
>while that happens, dude in a golden robe walks around with a thing smoking sling (no idea what its called, its a sling with some embers in it, it smokes)
>then you get to place a candle beneath some icon
>and they feed you a cookie, the end

Would you say an unbaptized person shouldn't cross themself?

greek?

i'd say just someone who doesn't believe in god and isnt wanting to be a part of that church, doesnt find meaning in that kind of blessing. ive seen protestants go to catholic events and they dont do the cross.

1/2 My parents are Orthodox, we also were from a Protestant fundie tradition so I've had your experience. Orthodoxy is largely confined to ethnic groups and as such is done in their languages. (Lot of Serbs where I live)

I'm assuming you're a man so head covering is a non issue. Dress respectfully, no graphic tshirts or anything stupid. That's pretty common sense though. It's a place of solemnity and worship so just have respect for the bunch of pious babushkas you'll see. For God sakes use some scented soap to get that weed smell out dude.

Liturgies are performed in basically the same manner regardless of church and every Sunday it's the same thing unless it's a special feast or fast day. You are expected to stand through much of it. Basically if the priest is addressing the congregation you're on your feet. When the reader is reading you get to sit though and it'll be clear when that's okay. When in doubt just stand.

The priest or deacon will come around, or if you're in a larger church the congregation will go to the front to kiss the Bible. You probably won't be forced to do that but I once had a stern Russian deacon hold it to my face until I kissed it. Now I just do it as a sign of respect for the institution. If the priest is wearing a ring you usually kiss that too.

Of course not. I must've crossed myself hundreds if not thousands of times during my 8 months as a catechumen before being baptised.

I'm saying that it's sacrilegious for someone who does not confess Christ and in fact still pays homage to other faiths/gods; OP's words, not mine:
>and I tend to be pretty all over the place with my own spiritual beliefs

Once he's not all over the place and is committed to the Church, let him cross himself to his heart's content.

2/2
DO NOT, go up to take communion. In Protestant churches communion is strictly symbolism and therefore less revered but if you are not baptized in the Orthodox Church you may not take communion. You'll see them all lining up as the priest says prayers holding the chalice. It's their most important mystical tradition. However at the end of the service the priest invites everyone to come up and kiss the cross and have some blessed bread. That's okay to take if you feel inclined. Go up, kiss the cross while holding your hands out for him to put the bread in. Eat the bread and don't let crumbs fall on the floor because its blessed and anything blessed has a very specific method of disposal. I've seen ladies on hand and knee picking up miniscule crumbs from their messy kids.

Just watch what everyone is doing. Crossing yourself isn't necessary you're just an observer at this point. I'm a catechumen so occasionally I will but as a present non believer I prefer to abstain. Makes my mom feel good on pascha if I do though.

Hope this helps.

Listen to this man.

Also do yourself a favour as a man and a human being and stop smoking weed and hit the gym.

I mean I'm committed insofar as I am actively trying to immerse myself in a living tradition to sort of make heads or tails of where I'm at spiritually.

I'm going to give up the idol of Shiva in a respectful and charitable manner. It seems more worth it to give it to people for whom it holds significance than to, like, sell it or toss it in the trash. Y'know?

Who ever said anything about not believing in God?

Knew that about communion thing. Did not know about the kissing the cross and blessed bread thing for non-catechumen, though.

Like I said I don't smoke much anymore, and I've been lifting for years.

>I mean I'm committed insofar as I am actively trying to immerse myself in a living tradition to sort of make heads or tails of where I'm at spiritually.

Yeah and that's fine. But because you don't know where you're at I'm saying it would be disingenuous for me you to be crossing yourself when that's a sign of a believer/adherent. Although a great many believers don't cross thems lives, so go figure.

It would be like going around saying Allahu Akbar when you're only considered becoming a Muslim. Anyway it's only a minor point and I don't want to get bogged down in it.

My first time in an Orthodox church I stood there when everyone else stood, sat when they say, and spoke to the priest when everyone else spoke to the priest (after the service obviously).

Anyway best of luck to you and I hope you find your place in the Church. My only piece of advice would be to remember that the best attitude to have would be that you're not running from something - because all the failings you find everywhere else you will find amongst the Orthodox - but rather running towards Christ. Only the latter is the path to true humility.

What bible should I read if I want to get into Orthodoxy
Pic related mine

The Orthodox Study Bible or the Oxford Study Bible --RSV -- (w/Apocrypha)

How do you get past knowing it's most likely made up?

Knowing that, ultimately, everything is made up

Mate youve had the exact same thread before complete with that same bible picture.

Either you are serving pasta or have spent a month or two avoiding going to this church

there's a ukranian orthodox church nearby
will they all give me the stink eye for not being or understanding ukranian?

you asked if an unbaptised person shouldnt cross... and im saying unbaptised is irrelevant, belief is. an unbeliever shouldnt cross.

im agreeing with the guy saying non-believers shouldnt cross. you should tell him "Who ever said anything about not believing in God?".

if you dont believe in the blessing you shouldnt do it.

just go catholic church; easier, less mad.

Bitch, it's the first time I've gotten to postings this fucking picture
Fucking Abo cunt