/tekgen/ - Tekken General

Previous thread: = NEWS =
>Patch 1.08
avoidingthepuddle.com/news/2017/9/28/tekken-7-version-108-update-changes-player-info-in-ranked-ag.html
>Noctis Reveal Trailer
youtube.com/watch?v=LmWbiMwxmOU
>Patch 1.09
avoidingthepuddle.com/news/2017/11/28/tekken-7-version-109-adds-dlc-character-geese-howard-rematch.html
>Geese Launch Trailer
youtube.com/embed/mXCZ0mnapMw
>Patch 1.10
avoidingthepuddle.com/news/2017/12/13/tekken-7-version-110-input-lag-reduction-patch-out-now.html

= BASIC INFORMATION =
>Notation
tekkenzaibatsu.com/legend.php
>Fergus' character overviews
docs.google.com/document/d/1yqgxbES6su4clpQou2hzlZN40rpPBtwmMRKWfexbj3g/
>Frame data for every character
rbnorway.org/t7-frame-data/
>Top 15 moves for all characters
drunkardshade.com/2017/05/27/tekken-7-top-15-moves-for-all-characters/
>/tekgen/ T7 Character Information Compilation (wip)
docs.google.com/document/d/139rPKrNc0nYHm2SmEa9Wy6LE7ps_2C0akOD4BQrmN2Q

= TUTORIAL VIDEOS FOR NEW PLAYERS =
>How to Approach 3D Fighting Games
youtu.be/p7Ar-RctqyU
>Korean Backdash Cancel (KBD)
youtu.be/gLp3Y0PdV94
shoryuken.com/2017/02/17/this-is-the-year-you-will-learn-how-to-perform-tekkens-korean-backdash/
>Button Buffering
youtu.be/38iJWsjc_w8
>Options at the wall
youtu.be/2SW7kCmA23o
>How to get off the ground
youtu.be/j-PDc20Jezg
youtu.be/11oZkTYI6Rs
>Low parrying
youtu.be/SF2wBESs01U
>Oki/Tech Trap
youtu.be/LYqbvQljTw0
>Throw Breaking
youtu.be/m4em9HzrwFI
>Wavedash
youtu.be/xMtFCy8LreM
>Wavedash/Backdash on pad
youtu.be/fU5Ji23k4LU
>Combo video playlist for each character
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDzNGonyeoUtBqYuqku0QqNwk2mcSlV_n
>Combo video playlist for each character
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDzNGonyeoUtBqYuqku0QqNwk2mcSlV_n

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ziWNOtY28ew
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

1st for have fun playing tekken!

Play Mishimas.

but I dropped them.

Any tips for using Steve?

Sway.

Asked in ded thred:

What's the deal with Armor King? I main King and I just don't get him. He has no throw chains for one thing. His neck swing looks silly to me. Could someone explain him?

STOP

Is Geesus good or bad? I find him pretty good after trying him out for the first time. It's pretty easy to figure out combos for him and he seems to have plenty of them with passable damage.

In low ranks you can get away with f+2,1 into PAB and then mix them up from there, particularly using PAB 2 if they are mashing so you get a counterhit launcher.

If you manage to git gud it's time to start working on your character knowledge so when you see who you are matched up against you know exactly when to sway and when to b+1. In high ranks, Steve's offense can be blown up pretty easily so abuse the PAB mix-up.

Also, if something can be cancelled into a stance, ALWAYS cancel it, since the frame data is usually better when you stance cancel.

t. used-to-be vanquisher steve but got demoted to vindicator by eddys and hwos

Armor King had a somewhat different moveset, I'd say more of a stronger whiff punish and big mid hits, less focus on grappling. I miss his 3+4, 2. He had a wind god fist and wave dash and other stuff. A lot of his moves got transferred over to King so it's safe to say Armor King won't be back until Tag 3.

Someone please explain matchups? I know who I hate fighting, but I don't think that necessarily has much to do with who I am playing at the time.

I dislike seeing bears, Xiaoyu, Hwoarang and Eddy probably the most

Which ones were transferred? I thought it was only his stomp, and from Marduk the useless jaguar combination that doesn't true combo so it's worthless.

The stomp is the only one I can think of but I know more went to King. In tag 2 King was a lot worse than Armor King

All those chars have one thing in common. You can't punish them properly. Save for Hwo, the other chars have weird stances that your regular punishes don't work against, so find whatever hits them out of said stances for your char and abuse it during the matchup.

As for Hwo, he just never stops, but you have to deal with it. 1st, pressure him, don't let him pressure you or you will die super fast. If he blocks your shit, expect that weird move where he sidesteps and punches. You can usually bait that out with + on block moves. 2nd, don't give him distance, since his long-range game is ridiculous between peacekeeper and that goddamn power crush, tracking, homing, mid launcher. If you get caught in his pressure dickjab and start your own pressure.

>Spinny punch
>Range thrust kick kick
>Power crush
God, I hate him. Once his momentum starts it's a bollock to get him stopped, and of course as you say, try it and eat a spinny punch or a thrust kick.

You're right about the punishes though. I tend to wait for openings, and in the cases of those characters there's just so little to exploit. Plus I can't grab them because they're always playing silly beggars. For whatever reason, catching Kuma with the iSW (air) seems to miss all the time too.

If you are playing King, here is some advice. For the beggars, use People's Elbow??? (the one attack where you jump really high and elbow them) when you see them lie down as it's likely to avoid their shenanigans and hit them.
For hwo, once he gets going, dickjab and then ultimate tackle or use your FC stuff as it is very good.

with what character can i get away with not knowing match ups

Is Heihachi's Battering Ram useful for anything?

I don't think there's a legitimate reason to ever use that move.

>Knee goes back to PS4 for a stream
>extremely long waiting times
>people are awful at fucking orange ranks and losequit immediately
>6 hour long video with the same amount of matches as a 1 hour long video from the PC version

I see. So PS4 cucks just hide behind the fact that Sony won't show the player count.

Answered in ded thred and you didn't see it:

Armor King has a WGF and a standard crouchdash, instead of King's unique crouchdash.

why does every character have this u2 punch, and why is it apparently useless?

Isn't the PC version is especially popular in Korea?

I think he's fine. He has some faults, but they're balanced out by big damage, solid confirms, effective mixups, etc.

>playing against a Gigas
>wondering why he was kicking my ass
>labbed his moves against my character
>literally all my block punishes whiffs against him unless I blocked it point blank
Okay.

you were probably not ducking strings that need to be ducked

everyone who can force oppressive strings on the opponent or anyone who has bullshit moves that crush everything and are difficult to punish
hwo, josie, nina, asuka, eddy, eliza, ling

King plays like King
Armor King plays like a bootleg Mishima

Devil Jin because he has a proper vortex

d2+3 is the people's elbow. That move you're referring to is uf2.
That's shitty advice, by the way.

is the correct answer

MISHIMAS ARE SO FUCKING BRAINDEAD

Those characters are all countered by matchup knowledge.
But once DJ puts you in his vortex it doesn't matter: you have to guess.

This is the correct answer

Got 7 downloading right now, haven't played one since Tekken 2. Who's the best "learning tool" character for picking up the fundamentals of the game. I'm no stranger to fighters but I typically play much faster paced games.

matchup knowledge that basically nobody has until red ranks
nobody who asks which characters can get by without knowing matchups is anywhere remotely close to red ranks

So does ragequitting in this game actually affect your rank? What's the go there?

This was probably answered a million times, but what are the best sticks to get?

Hitbox

Anything with Sanwa. Seimitsu or Hori parts and a case of your liking.

Shaheen, Kazumi, Jack

Get a hitbox

The 200 dollar range stick trinity are the Qanba Obsidian, Etokki Omni Sanwa edition, and the Razer Pantera. I recommend the Obsidian, it's what I use and I love it.

Thanks, I read through the analysis in the OP but I didn't want to just pick one of the characters marked as easy. Since sometimes "easy" characters just teach bad habits and set you back in the long run. At the same time I didn't want to blindly choose someone harder since I'm inexperienced at this style of fighter and risk just not learning anything because I don't understand it.

Stomp and f2,1
If the opponent doesn't want to get up and stays grounded the move bounces them up in the air and you get a combo

No worries, amigo. You got your head on straight that you want to make sure you don't pick up scrub tactics as crutches, just pick between those three which you like based off their style or even their design and just learn the core game. Give it at least 1-3 months and when you feel confident in your fundamentals branch out if you so desire.

I just played T7 for the first time in like a week and a half and did just that. I really like T7 and I hope I'll like SC6 just as much.

youtube.com/watch?v=ziWNOtY28ew

What does his vortex look like? Can't the other Mishimas do the same shit?

I also hope SC6 is good. Not just is it a fun franchise but 3D games in general are more fun to me than 2D.

I haven't labbed it or anything but I think they're talking about the mid kick that hits on the ground that forces you to get up (or keep eating them forever) and the launching hellsweep.

I have faith in them, if only because they didn't set a hard release date. SCV sucked as hard as it did was because it was rushed out to make the release date. Granted it still would have had it's issues, but at least it wouldn't have been a half-finished game.

I tried out the combo on a couple different characters based on their hurtbox. Jin and Hwoa for normal sized characters, King and Miguel for tall, Jack for big, Kuma for bears, Asuka and Nina for females, Ling for Ling. It worked for normal, big, and bears, whiffed on tall, females, and Ling. For talls it whiffed on the second df2,1 and for females the df4,3 didn't connect at all. I also tried out the combo on Paul and it was inconsistant on him.

When someone is on the ground, DJ has two options:
>if they stay on the ground, b4 so they get hit and keep staying on the ground
>if they get up, go for a wavedash mixup between a low launcher and a mid launcher

Asuka's hands are absolutely disgusting

Not to mention this will hopefully be the first SC game with consistent support and patches to iron out kinks, unlike before where you got 3 updates and then all support dropped

Is it going to be on PC?

PC, PS4, Xbone just like Tekken

What is the input for this heihachi move that is like two flying kicks and looks plus a million on block?

uf34

>worst whiff punishment
>below average block punishment
>terrible lows
>orbital is -14 instead of being safe
Steve needs a buff

stop

>worst whiffpunishment
lol

>do a combo on Steve
>now our healthbars are 70 points apart
>turtle
>I win
Hmm

df1+2 is not as good as a full launch.

he just needs like one good low

Make db2 around 22 frames, and make it -14 on block to compensate. There, fixed Steve.

>it's a "user doesnt understand how comparative adjectives work and thinks that 'worst' means 'bad'" christmas special episode

not every character needs everything

all the things you listed always applied to him. stop trying to play him like the rest of the cast.

I don't know what upsets me more: orbitals or hellsweeps

But if they lack tools they need to compensate in some way. You can't have a character that has only one playstyle or it'll be too easy to counter.

Kazuya for example has the best whiff and block punishment so you could say he's defensive, but he'd be fucking nothing without his hellsweep.
Steve has pressure and CH hunting, and guess what, both are beat by doing keepout and he has nothing else

In both cases the opponent can't do that move if you're pressuring them

don't talk about balance before you're actually good at the game. no good player has listed steve as low tier.

orbitals are way more upsetting for me
hellsweeps dont crush, can be stepped, launched on block and dont lead to a full 60+ dmg combo

steve has a quasi hellsweep anyway, he doesn't need a long range low poke

it's like saying give dragunov a hopkick just because he doesn't have one and would be better with one

>hellsweeps dont crush
they crush jabs don't they

the crouchdash part does cause they actually crouch, but as soon as you hit 4 they stop crushing.
electrics can crush jabs too, but the period where the character is crouching is so small that it's not reliable as a high crush.

>steve has a quasi hellsweep anyway
What, db3,2? Keeping Steeve away makes it so he can't get in to do that move.
It's not like Kazuya who can wavedash and if you try to stop him he can electric you and put you at -5.

He's either weak and the tiers are wrong, or he's strong and nobody has been able to put his intended game-style into practice.

I always see Steve eat shit at high level, always

Asuka has the dumbest looking stance

people aren't robots, steve will always get in eventually and it's more of an oki tool

check out bohee and knee

>he'll get in
>eventually
is that supposed to make me think he's a good character?

knee doesnt really win with steve in tournament vs other top level players, he always barely loses.

I don't really care what you think about him senpai you're probably green rank and your breath stinks

Yes that's usually how these arguments go because nobody can actually prove why Steve isn't shit

I think what makes orbitals more infuriating is how safe they are. Hellsweeps are harder to deal with but if I catch one I can launch punish, meanwhile orbitals I can maybe get like 20 damage in on some characters.

yeah exactly
they recover hella fast on whiff too so chances are if you try to whiffpunish you might eat another orbital

Literally what the cuck am I supposed to do against Akumas low kick~tatsu shit at the wall? I thought you could just hold back even if the low hits you and block the rest, but if you're close enough for the special mid to hit it's a natural combo with the low. And the low is a fucking unseeable poke

Knee eats shit all the time when he plays Steve on his stream

>steve will always get in eventually
Then why does Steve have such a poor record at top level? I'm a scrub but when I play against Steve I just play hard defensive especially when I get life lead. I learned whiff punishing when I first started playing the game and matched with a Steve who I realized couldn't do much if I kept out of his range and just waited to attack him after he whiffed.

Noobfag here, how hard is it to reach Tekken God Prime in Treasure mode?

>Knee gets a life lead as Steve
>instead of pressuring with his strings and stance cancels like Steve is supposed to do he starts backdashing and eating mixups
>loses

about as hard as setting katarina to do 4444 over and over and leaving it overnight

he's still like fujin with steve. you don't see him doing that well with actual low tier characters

Yeah the inherent safety is what makes it so aggravating. Hellsweeps make me want to rip my hair out from how abusable it is but at least I can do something if I stuff it.

Tech roll

I'm saying that Steve is weak, not that he isn't viable.
He goes right next to Claudio though

Is that really a thing? I heard you can "perfect it every time" with Akuma just doing hadoukens at range.

you could also pick chloe and just do db4 over and over

Do you guys have the notation for eddy's slide? Trying to value my options against the negativa mixup with Josie, if you have any suggestions.