Celtic Veeky Forums

Let's discuss the tragic history of our favorite Indo-Europeans.

What went wrong? Can Celtic languages survive?

Nah it's fucked, the government here in Ireland are doing fuck all to revive it and if that isn't done within this century it'll be as dead as Latin or Cornish to use another Celtic language as an example - only spoken by a few enthusiasts.
There's some desire here to learn the language but globalisation will probably put an end to that as well and there's nobody genuinely making an effort to tap into that desire and give people anything beyond an ethereal sort of feeling of Nationalism to prompt them to learn it.
The West of the country is being crippled by centralization in Dublin which is causing loads of the youth from the Gaelteacht regions and elsewhere to move there where they just become a part of the English speaking Pale mob.
The schools do a shite job of teaching people the language and normally leaves them hating it by the end, I did over a decade in this country's education system and can hardly put a sentence together as Gaeilge.
There's also the problem of English being the world's lingua franca and countries in the Anglosphere (yes Ireland is one of them no matter what people say) not really needing any great portion of their populations to be bilingual. So laziness factors in considerably.

>What went wrong?
collapse of Finnish Empire started a domino effect resulting in leprechaun rebellion of 20 BCE and massacre of Celts

>What went wrong
The Eternal Anglo.
And to a lesser extent frogs.

>Can Celtic languages survive?
Yes, keeping a language alive is as easy as learning it. It's just that very many people just do not care to do so, myself included.

in theory they can. it needs lots of early childhood immersion though. bring children together with grandparents who speak the language.

lots of monolingual anglo-irish learning irish in school and at best learning to speak it with a heavy english accent is not the solution.
the languages need to be spoken at home

welsh will likely stick around, irish, breton and scots gaelic will likely die out

Celtic languages are easily the best sounding out of all ie languages, I hope not
>>muh french
>mush italian

Irish sounds like shit. The rest are ok, specially Welsh

>it'll be as dead as Latin or Cornish
:'( RIP Kernow. One day you might be brought back.

This guy gets it.

Despite a massive resurgence of Irish culture, people just weren't into it.

I don't even want more anti-british sentiment. That's old news, now. Except in some parts of Belfast, I suppose, but still.

>there will never be a decent pro-irish party who both wants an irish identity and connection to culture whilst also having a single clue about economics
>there will never be re-investment into the irish language so that a majority of the population are bilingual
>Ireland's economy will never be fixed, and Ireland will never join Britain in a quest to once again be the cradle of western civilisation
>Irish politicians will always just do the opposite of what Britain does

>and Ireland will never join Britain
lost me

French got a lot of its pronunciation from Gaulish, which is why it sounds different to the other Romance languages. Occitan in the south has less celtic influence and thus sounds more like Catalan or Italian

Why can't we be buddies with Britain? If you read on, it doesn't say "rejoin the UK"

Why can't we get along? They were dicks in the past, but we're free now. Why not have a UK-France relationship?

>that bullshit celtic europe map
the modern concensus is that those hallstatt guys weren't "celtic" as we understand it. Celts actually developed as the culture we recognise along the atlantic coast from portugal to scotland

>but we're free now

Dub here, yeah I literally can not string a sentence together in Irish, I hated learning it in school. Shame though it would be cool to know it.

I speak Irish and will answer questions if you want. I had just typed a big long essay in the local history thread but accidentally deleted it before posting so I might as well post here instead.

>What went wrong?
Eternal Anglo and the French

Yes but probably not thrive. We won't see a Hebrew style revival any time soon.

>Irish politicians will always just do the opposite of what Britain does
that doesn't happen. If anything it's the opposite.

>Why can't we be buddies with Britain?
We are you silly billy. Relations between the UK and Ireland are really strong and there is not a single party that is agitating, not even the Shinners.

That's far from a consensus. Truth is nobody has a fucking clue. I personally prefer the Atlantic hypothesis but the Hallstatt one's got some weight too.

>French got a lot of its pronunciation from Gaulish
Like what

nice numbers

how did you learn irish? Any tips on how I could?

t. A muh heritage Anglo-irish fag.

> That's old news, now.
In the North I find that younger people are far more radical republicans than their parents.

I have literally never met anyone under the age of 30 who votes SDLP.

they way the letters are pronounced is unlike any other romance language.

Also the counting is base-20 like gaulish/welsh but unlike latin/italian

Meh, Irish is alright. I do agree Welsh is the best sounding one. It's elder elvish tier stuff.

>tfw you're English so you benefit from an Anglo-Norman culture whilst still being able to study your Celtic/Brythonic heritage
Feels good maaane

>benefit
>Anglo-Norman culture

>how did you learn irish?
School and speaking it with my family. My Parents aren't Gaeilgeoirs but some of my other family is.

>Any tips on how I could?
Find people to practice with. There's literally no other way. You can learn to read/write online but you'll never be able to speak it. If you live in Ireland it should be easy, If you live in England there should be groups in the bigger cities. If you're a burger you're fucked unless you live in Boston, New York or some other place with a big diaspora.

>benefit from an Anglo-Norman culture

Argentine here
This week I hired some Paraguayan construction workers for repairs in my house.
Among themselves, or when they dont want me to understand what they say, they switch from Spanish to Guarani, which over 90% of the population there understands, it is an almost completely bilingual country, and many people also know Portuguese and English.

If you go on vacations to Germany, in many regions you will have a hard time understanding the locals because in bars they will be speaking in their local dialects, which are real languages, just without a State. The same happens to some degree in Italy and Spain.

I think Irish could be revived, not to replace English (because English is a great economic advantage for Ireland ) but to turn Ireland into a bilingual nation, simply by teaching it primary school and high school 3 hours per week.

In Switzerland it isnt rare at all for people to speak German + French + English + local dialect + something else

Latin is still practiced byCatholics, Latinists, and Neo-Latinists

What are the general Scottish "feelings" about the Picts? Are they considered part of "Scottish" history? Would they be referred to as ancient "Scots"? Were they Scottish?