Local History General

Tell us about your local history, and if it has any effect on your community today.

Any local traditions? Do you live near any ruins, battlefields, or historical buildings? Does the history in your area have any effect on you or the locals?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_War_(1859)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Knut's_Day
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Rock_State_Park
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I live in the same village William Wallace was born in

Nice, and if wikipedia is correct, the guy that played Robb Stark is also from your village?

I live by a bay, we have this cute old lighthouse. The inside is all preserved with 19th century furnishings.

Chemin de Chambly is the most ancient road of Canada. Thats it.

Where I used to live with my parents is right where John Hampden was killed in the Battle of Chalgrove Field in the English Civil War.

Where I live now is in Southwark, so obviously right by the Globe, Southwark Cathedral, the ruins of Winchester Palace and the reconstruction of Sir Francis Drake's Golden Hinde.

Your parents also lived near where Agatha Christie died

I'm from a town in Ireland called " Tallaght" which translates to "plague grave" or so I've been told

Any nearby indication of how it got the name? Are plague pits usually marked or do people just stumble on them when digging, I wonder.

The first English settlers landed only a little ways away from my area. The county I live in is named for the Chief during the time,and this area was a main battleground for the English and Natives. Props to anyone who can guess the County.

I live very close to the house of George Washington's Surveyor general.
A guy was murdered in my house

wow this is a top tier thread. props OP

Because Tallaght is and has always been a shithole.

t.Tallafornia

Comfort,TX here all I have here is the Truer De Union monument for some German settlers that supported the North during the American civil war.

I'm in Manchester, UK. So everyone has a hardcore wewuz boner for industrial history here, there's old mills all over the place and some Roman stuff by way of castlefields

i thought ur only history was raves, MD and oasis. twiiistin ma mellon maaaaaaan, do u fok.

There's really nothing too interesting where I'm from. The buildings are from the late 1800's and the locals want to get rid of them because "they look old lol". Doc Holliday is from my town, and that's just about it.

I live in the area of the notorious 'Nazi gold train'

I run up and down this bitch on saturdays and sundays as my morning routine

Also this just happened 5 minutes ago, must be a sign from Tlaloc

The holy cologne.

elb-germanic settlement founded 19bc in order to protect the roman friendly tribe of the ubiers from its neighboors, 50AD on a wish of the Agrippinius wife Cologne was founded as a proper roman walled city with an aqeduct and temples, which soon grew to be one of the biggest settlements north of the alps drawing in germanic and roman population with some persian and even egyptian cults settling there creting a weird mixing of cultures.
Cologne soon came to be frankish heartland and got christianised with a small period of gnostics being active, it went on to be a key city of the frankish empire, struggled with the huns who martyred our protective Saint St. Ursula then flourished though the middle ages as a prosperous and zealous city which traded a lot of reliques and sometimes even sacked other cities to steal them so they could add to the cities ever increasing holyness.
Boneworship was a huge thing until that trend got old in the renaissance as it apparently did not preotect from the plague, the city made it though the 30year war mainly unscathed and remained a clerical citystate with many liberties and vetorghts in the HRE until we got more a bit more secular as the population overthrew some Bishop who got too cocky.
Then Napoleon came and found a city before that still had a guild system and a jew ban from the 13th century.
Cologne instantly surrendered as the city always had done if a too big army was on its way so Napoleon got power over the city before he even reached it as its representants hurried to meet him before the reached the city gates.
A free economy, housenumbers and a better infrastructure came from it, the french were kind to the catholic site of germany.
Still, they got thrown out later ofc and the area surrendered to the prussians as fast as to the french which tore down the medieval citywall safe for the gates from which on the history resembles that of most german cities.

Sheeeeeeeeeit, I'll be cleaning ash off yard for the next 3 days
Thanks for building at the feet of an active volcano aztecs

There is a very old recently-restored protestant Church in my village that has been there for hundreds of years

Nearby there is the site of an engagement between the IRA and the British army or RIC as I recall. There is also an abandoned castle down the road that's falling apart

William Butler yeats is from my town. Means you have to do a lot of yeats poetry in when your um school

Where I live wasn't land until the 1800's so I got nothing

>Do you live near any ruins, battlefields, or historical buildings?

American history immortalized.

Lady Gregory is from the town where I went to school and Yeats used to hang out there all the time, so I had the same problem. Yeats is based though.

Too much to write in one post. Pretty much every period of Irish history from the Neolithic to Independence is represented, either in material history, folklore or both. If I get bored enough I'll write it out but I tried already and accidentally deleted it so I might not bother.

The Bishop's Liberty home of the Clink, the Marshalsea and Jacob's Island.
Rotherhithe from where the Mayflower departed for the New World.

Bunch of old norse runestones, Johannite main monastery was here for a brief time and the city was named after Saint Eskil who was stoned to death by pagans (Eskilstuna)

Squanto

Ireland. There are a couple of small 15th century castles, a few ruined monasteries and a lot of Georgian/Victorian stuff. There's also an island that the Vikings used as a place to keep slaves before exporting them overseas.

A bronze age barrow on my estate.

my town has a few of those

another thing from my town

I believe the area has the largest Mennonite population in Canada, or maybe North America, I can't remember

also that is 2 meters high and 4 meters wide

The family that made this have a few more stones around my town.

I live near the site of the Great Pig War of 1859, AMA.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_War_(1859)

Pretty scenic, volcano or no volcano.

Do people stop bothering to halt the decay once it gets to a certain point?

There was a big riot against the civil war draft here. 300 people were arrested.

I live near the most western land battle of the American Civil War.

Sardinia

Mysteries and shieeeet

The Dutch town I grew up in, Katwijk, was the northmost Roman settlement within the empire and Germania Inferior. There used to be a major Roman castellum called Batavorum Lugdunum which ruins gradually became a legend until it finally was swallowed by the sea by the end of the 16th century. There are tons of excavated Roman farms and we still have a partially restored Limes road in the nearby city of Valkenburg. (Which nowadays is part of the same community as Katwijk). There was also a very famous horse market in Valkenburg since Roman times, which is still hosted every year after thousands of years. They also say Julius Caesar visited Katwijk, but that is sort of a urban legend.

Also apparently saint Boniface landed in Katwijk when he went and tried to convert the pagan Frisians up north.

Nope. It's named for Chief Powhatan, the Chief during that time. He was the Emperor of a few tribes.

IN THE TOWN

WHERE I WAS BORN

LIVED A MAN

WHO SAILED TO SEA

I live in Lexington, MA, right down the street from the battle site. Every year on April 19th is the reenactment. There's also historical houses, a Freemason museum, and you can hike the Minuteman trail.

Is it Picacho Pass in Arizona? That's way further west than I would have thought.

Have to deal with sad hippies and memorials every spring

Powhatan Virginia or Richmond?

both are close to jamestown soo....

AND HE TOOOLD

US OF HIS LIFE

Live in East Bay, in between San Francisco/Oakland and the far east where the gold rush happened. Therefore there was no settlement only rancheros untill 1850's. Then whites came and now it's all rich white people who urbanized it.

Kids who went outside at my age and played where the adults didn't like it found: deer, turkeys, arrowheads, berries that anorexics love, and mosquitos

I was born in a small village where Edward the Bruce quartered his soldiers during his invasion of Ireland.

There used to be a monastery but it was burnt down by the Normans. We have the remnants of a High Cross in the local church.

My city isn't that old t b h. This monument represents Lenin and the Soviet people. The 3 men are men on the left are: a factory worker, a soldier and your average peasant. The two people on the right are a young man and a young woman who represent the inheritance of Communist ideals by young people in general.

The Pine Barrens in New Jersey.

Absolutely love my home and would never give it up for the world. Beautiful forests, rivers and landscapes. Not to mention the history.

My area around the mullica river is famous for old pre industrial revolution glass, paper and iron works. Literally the region was built atound it. Local ship builders also sprang upnaround the area. Batsto village (pic related) was home to a large iron works and furnace that produced smmunition for the continental and later union armies. It was so important the British fleet planned to sail up the mullica river to bombard the village but were defeated at the battle of chestnut neck.

The pine barrens are home to many lost towns and villages, speedwell, harrisson, washington. Others like Lower Bank (where i live) Green Bank, Chatsworth are still there and are thriving communities.

Its wonderful because the community is so close to each other, just as it was 250 years ago. Everybody knows everybody and is very involved in the community. The old family names Leeds, Cavileer, Ford, Sooy are still here and are well respected in town.

I went to elementary school with a class of 7 kids from K-8 in a school building built in 1901. They were family to me. Im so fortunate to live in such a wonderful place.

The pine barrens

The mullica river

It's also where this sign used to hang.

I live in a house that's older than the usa. The writing set in stone says 1774. Renovated 10 years ago by my father, also renovated 110 years ago by my grandgrandfather.

>tfw west coast America
We got injun ruins and Spanish missions

the center of american government. also easy to fuck girls here if you say something vaguely interesting (most dudes are short duds)

also starting in January, the meme capital of the world.

Powhatan,Virginia.

>pic related
Ohio Michigan Border dispute (1835-1836)

Are you a Wolverine or a Buckeye?
The rivalry started long before the football game.

I used to live in and now close to the town where hitler grew up. His old house is there and his parents grave was there, they closed it down a few years ago though.
I also grew up in Linz, where they opened the Hermann Göring Werke, my grandma was working there when they were built.
Now they're called Voest Alpine and very successful throughout the world.
Also many Appartement houses were built by the Nazis, we call them Hitler bauten (Hitler Buildings).
Concentration Camp Mauthausen is also close by.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Knut's_Day

We have this instead of trick and treating on Halloween.

I live in Nova Scotia, Canada

It was a failed scottish colony and became part of Britain when Scotland join the UK

We have a highland games celebration which happens every summer which I guess is a tradition that effects us now there is like bagpipes and pole throwing and kilts.

Fort Louisbourg the site of a battle near here It was a fortified town which the British seized from the french in the seven years war

That's about it

Edgar Allen Poe is buried down the street from me

Does someone mystery person still leave roses at his grave every year?

That sounds like a lot of fun.

>Julgransplundring, literally: "Christmas tree plundering"

I was thinking about moving there, might have a job opportunity, tell me any reason why I shouldn't

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Rock_State_Park In NJ where Washington would go to observe the British. I am also 20 mins from morristown which was and is a major NJ city

I live in Washington too user, did it rain hard on you today as well?

God I wanna live in a place like that. Here in Seattle everyone's a pretenscous passive aggressive asshole/cunt. City's full of fags, expensive, and no real history.

BCboy here, and yeah it's been pissing non-stop for like two days. Feels bad.

Heinous

Headless horseman, read anything by Irving and yes it still does

The town I'm from has been around since literally the neolithic era.

There's precisely one shop.

My city was literally named "College at the Station" because a train station ran through it and there was a small private military college.

We are now the largest Senior Military College in the United States.

The fucking train still runs right through the middle of everything.

I know some of my village/county history, a place called Texana in southern Texas, but it has no real bearing on anything else beyond itself.

>Mid 1800s, Texas just becomes a nation, a guy named Dr. Francis Wells settles a community, calls it Santa Anna after a popular liberal soldier/politician, eventually changes the name to Texana after the revolution breaks out.
>Slowly becomes a small port town after the war's over.
>Some wealthy investors come in and want to invest in trenching a larger canal for more ship traffic, local leaders think that's a dumb idea, will make the place too busy.
>One of the biggest potential investors curses the place, they decide to invest in Houston-Galveston instead.
>Railroad is developed, a couple of smaller settlements closer to it get train stops, Texana is about 10 miles away.
>Slowly lose 90% of the population due to emigration to the smaller towns because train access to the Macaroni Express.
>By 1920, the place is only inhabited by ranchers and a few holdouts.
>During 1960, plans develop to turn the Texana basin into a resevoir, realized in 1979.
>People told to sell their land to the government for pennies or have it condemned.
>Palmetto Bend Dam is completed, old barns and houses from the mostly ghost town and now flooded and underwater.
>Property value of the surrounding land that was forced into sale jumps to 30x the price sold at.
>Lake looks like shit, fails to be a tourist attraction.
>Still generates a huge profit selling water to Corpus Christi.
>Community only sees a tiny fraction of that profit put back into it, the rest is spent on stupid shit by the owning organization.
>Massive butthurt to this day.

Other than that, I only know a little bit about the more prominent families in the region, and most of it was just from getting bits and pieces rather than getting an actual story. We've still got lots of roads that bear the name of families that live down them, mostly Czechs and Germans.

I've been to the place in Fredricksburg that had a monument to the massacre when they tried to flee to Mexico, but I'm still missing some of the history of the hill country Germans. I really need to pay the place a visit again, it's lovely up there.

I have a huge boner for precolumbian mesoamerican stuff, maybe in 30-40 years you guys will be in the first world and i'll move down there.

>tfw I realize in "30-40 years from now" i'll be in my fucking 50's or 60's and if not dead due to how shitty I eat and don't exceise