itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-17

> Play Mecha Jam
itch.io/jam/op-mechanoid

> Helpful links
Weekly Recap: recap.agdg.io
AGDG Steam Games: homph.com/steam
Fanart and stuff: drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6j4pcv3V-vfb3hKSlhRRzlLbFE
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627 (embed) (embed)

Previous Thread: →
Previous Demo Days: pastebin.com/74btH1aJ (embed) (embed)
Previous Jams: pastebin.com/mU021G8w (embed) (embed)

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
freemusicarchive.org
incompetech.com/music
fantasymusica.org

> How to Webm
obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=C6a9j_vSQys
youtube.com/watch?v=9Rt27agDbxs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I give up

Did we survive the third impact

did you make
a game
stupid dog
don't blame
your own luck
just make
a fucking
fucking
patreon hentai game

Why did you make another thread?

I gonna bite you little dick, cunt.

should i read the whole blender manual or should i start with practical tutorials and keep the blender manual open if i need help?

nice another useless tip
go away moneyfag this is a HOBBY

I think you answered your own question.

*being unable to finish a game, you move to another hobby*

What does Thailand have to do with gamedev? It's a neat picture, an neat place, but still. Now I just want to fuck hookers.

more

Well, I guess I need to import a reference model when animating attacks. Right now it's just groin strikes and ass slaps, which is fine for now.

Still sort of dancing around how we are going to handle syncing enemy health and animations and collisions for being hit across the internet. My first thought was to have the server doing the moving of the enemies and sending that to the players, but the hang up is the server version of player position is in the past, so either the enemies large sweeping attacks to mask the lack of precision, or I have to approach when the enemies attack differently.

We'll find out later today hopefully.

overgrowth looks different

How much game mechanics can I legally copy? What are some good outrageous but perfectly legal examples?

all of them, you cannot copyright game mechanics

How does this look in terms of resolution for a pixelated game? Obviously just placeholder sprites. The base resolution is 640x360, which scales perfectly to 720p and 1080p and most higher resolution 16:9 aspect ratio monitors.

I'm not exactly sure what the ideal way to handle non-integer scales is. Currently just using black bars, but I could just as easily stretch and filter although that'd probably look pretty bad depending how far off the display is from the intended aspect ratio...

pretty much this. butt-mad pubg's developer would foam in his mouth talking about ip protection and shit but there's nothing he can do about it.

What about level design? Can I have virtually identical dungeons and maps?

The sprites already look nice and comfy.

that's pretty grey area. I think there's a case where EA sued Zynga for copying their Sims almost completely. Zynga had to settle it.

how is it?

Is this game ever going to be finished?

it's okay.

You gotta link to this case?

So only the most outrageous copies, and if you aren't in China.

Can you fucking google it? It's in the first few results.

Here's what new in Alpha v. 120036754...

It's been less than a year in development though. I'm aiming for a early March release

Is there a point when you stop dreaming about Maya and start to love Blender or will it always be the tool you only use, because you can't afford paid 3d software?

>tfw 1-manning
>started to get anxious whether i could make it or not
>doesn't have many friends i could trust to demo my game
What should i do?

shitpost your way to fame on discord

make me wish i lived in Japan.

Have you even used Maya? It's not that much better.

NANI

unless you are going professional , it's not worth it. I am talking about full time job just modelling or having enough profit to pay for hundreds of dollars software.

>WOOOOOW DUDE!

i bet you've put more effort into making this webm than into your physics

My sides

>ywn be this good
why even bother
I will still keep trying though, I won't give up

trying and failing for 5 years is better than doing nothing for 5 years. failing is still better than idling.

yep I'm of the opinion it's important to pick something that divides into a modern resolution. your choices are:
1:2 960x540, 1:3 640x360, 1:4 480x270, 1:5 384x216, etc
choose too small res you become pixel shit, some will avoid your game based on its resolution.
choose too large res and your art will take longer and lose any advantages pixel art has.
the sweet spot in my opinion is 1:4.

now put it into a portrait aspect ratio

Is there any service that will store collections such as champions/skins in League, cards in HS or any cardgame for free?

I like the aesthetic, is this some sort of medieval noir?

I don't understand. If you have a game that needs to store something, you can just use a mysql database.

it's from final fantasy vi, you uneducated pleb.
Play the games before the series turned into futuristic shit that clog the anal of the lores.

i made a table and i have no idea how to texture it beyond just applying a boring material.

it's comfy under the table

Let's say I want my players to be able to collect things, but I don't want them to be able to hack in these things locally, is there any service that will store these for me? But I guess it's a pain in the ass to handle anyways, especially as a solo developer. I just want some initiative for players to come back and allowing them to collect stuff is great for that, it's just there's no point if they can just hack it in cuz it's stored locally.

Coding netcode is fun! FUN!

"lighting" system and character sprite

black bars, cut off parts that don't fit, combined approach
you can actually have non-integer scaling and it isn't too bad, shovel knight spectre of torment used it and i couldn't really see the distortions in the actual game

youtube.com/watch?v=C6a9j_vSQys

doesn't this guy post here

never seen him

I'd never play that trash but thanks

no

i'm actually saying that this guy posts here because he posted here once and i remember it

i was just phrasing it that way to be polite

pretty sure it was just someone else mentioning it among the shitposting
even if not it was just one-time shilling so it doesn't count

whats the easiest way to code a black 3d space with some grid nodes you can click on that show text and such? i really dont want to resort to unity or numale game tools, and want to learn some programming in process
the more obscure the programming language is the better

What stops players from sending fake collection data to your server? The only way to stop them from cheating is to run the actual game authoritatively on the server.

Got very basic multiplayer working. Network programming with low level api is hard.

Great audio, good aesthetics, ok graphics, horrible screenshake.

Nice!

What kind of info are you sending?

ok cool, now can you talk about MY game

Player input from the client to the server and player positions from the server to the clients at this moment.
Client-side prediction is not working correctly yet so it's very easy to desync the client state from the server state. Remote player interpolation is really bad as well so far.

kys

What the fuck do you people have against screenshake

Nothing when it's done right, but using it for every time the player fires his weapon is just annoying

what does 'done right' mean in your opinion

There isn't much to talk about yet. Perhaps the wall tiles blend a little with the ground tiles when they are on the bottom of the screen.

why is pixel-art a trend and low-poly art not? (by low-poly i don't mean huge triangle-trees with solid colors)

perspective doesn't make sense, it's shit

but it is

have you considered that maybe you're just stupid

i like how it looks

pixelshit (noodle limbs, dot eye faces, etc) is a "trend" because it's easy to do
huge triangle-trees with solid colors are a 3d equivalent of pixelshit and their relation to genuine lowpoly is similar to that of pixelshit and actual pixelart

lowpoly isn't as widespread yet because making even the shittiest 3d (solid color trees) isn't as easy as opening paint, zooming in and putting pixels on a space

which games?

literally every 3d mobile game of the top of my head

because most indie games are 2D

sorry to burst your bubble, maybe gamedev just isn't for you

hope you all have a wonderful christmas, love you all :)

have you considered that maybe you're just stupid

Imagine if everyone in this thread spent the same energy and brain power to solve real issues rather than silly video games

Then no real issues would be solved and probably more issues would be made?

he probably means more subtle.
it's just like shaky cam in movies, if it's overdone it looks horrible, if it's very subtle it can be just a tiny detail that feels like a layer of polish.

i would have an issue with me not doing things i like

It's hard to describe it's more about feeling it. But compare it to youtube.com/watch?v=9Rt27agDbxs
Q is probably one of the heaviest characters yet most of his moves don't make the screen shake, only a few select ones that aren't used all the time, and if you compare it to the other game you will see that in Street Fighter the screenshake is less intense and lasts only for half or maybe 1/4 of the frames. Screenshake in 2 axis might also be related to it feeling too much but I haven't looked into it.

>Not the first post from this IP.

will books and movies survive? games get better and better while books are literally the same as thousands years ago. and movies too didn't improve for decades now. gamedev is the future of art

When they talk about using power of two textures for maximum portability, do they mean square powers of two or are width and height independent?

width and height are independent

i watched two old Gérard Depardieu movies (when he was young) recently. both about criminals who roam france. it has a very unique feeling. i think no video game can capture this feeling at all. this is just one example.
also movies can capture real-life stories very well. i could write an essay about this topic, but i don't want to right now, i want to keep it very short.

I'm working on a mobile 3d strategy game in UE4 and I want it to look very pretty from up close but it gotta drop detail when the user zooms out.

>Zoom in observe one object in high detail
>WOW PRETTY LOVE THE GAME
>Zoom out observe many objects at low detail with manageble FPS
>Wow so many pretty objects love the game!

Is there any other way than making fuckload of LODs for everything to achieve that? I dont want my game to be fuckhuge and load fuckload of assets slowly.

Blender can be very neat with adaptive subdivide automaticly increacing/decreacing detail with distance.

Is there anything like smart automatic decimate in UE4 so it would decimate the meshes when observed from a distance? Or subdivide that would subdivide them upclose?

Can it generae LODs automatically?

For better or for worse, it was the most popular download-only game, so it needs to be there

I'll add some actual jokes after the anime girls catch you, that might help alleviate the boredom a bit.

>it will never be as good as beyond good and evil 2 zoom thing

Then again, old french movies are "dead", you don't see movies like those released now.
But I agree, they're completely different medium and they should stay separate.