How did you find your religion, Veeky Forums?

How did you find your religion, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

guiler717.deviantart.com/art/Itztlacoliuhqui-Ixquimilli-458513873
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

In my backpocket next to last weeks crumpled up sales receipt.

I'm still looking.

I invented my own religion where I am God and every human being on the planet is morally required to send me all of their money.

was duped into going to church by a catholic friend, found a catholic social group/society through them and slowly became institutionalised into catholic practises though i have trouble believing in god literally.

is this bad?

I saw some crusader memes here

Born into Irish Catholicism, but lookin hard

desu finding doesnt necessarily entail picking

the only cool one, even if edgy (literally)

I beat a man to death (in self defense!) with my penis.

i forgot to get a handle on death

Slaanesh found me

I threw a dart at a board of Christian heresies and ended up with Cathar. My ass was never the same.

shooting heroin

I realized that this planet must be hell, so God must exist.

I took some shrooms and my spirit went to the land of the dead and ate frogs and listened to the black swan as it talked to my ancestors

Luckily it escaped the guardian or else I might be dead lol

doin high doses of ketamine

So scientology?

Whend i become superstitious il choose an imaginary friend to pray to

I'm an asatruar, I hold true to my blood and my village

No its acctualy good it means you are just a sheep and think for your self
Whend i was a Kid i whent ti a chatolic school and i was Fed chatolic belifes everyday and still i didnt belive in god it all sounded to mutch like bullshit to belive

I subscribed to ThuleanPersoective on YouTube

Through years of study and meditation on numerous schools which make sense to me such as Buddhism, Taoism, Kabbalah and Western esoteric/ Pagan practices.

Always had belief in some sort of God
Like hymns at primary school
Went to catholic secondary school
Accidentally had communion even though I wasn't can confirmed
The order and grandness of the mass just clicked with my world view
Through reading the bible and praying it just clicked Catholicism was the true faith

>got into Zen as an edgy 14 year old
>more recently read the Pure Land sutras
It just makes the most sense.

and how do you reconcile them all?

The whole concept of "finding" and choosing your religion after studying and picking the "best" one is post-modern dilettante bullshit to be honest. If you didn't grow up with traditions handed to you by your parents you're not really religious, you're just shopping for identities.

this thread doesnt necessarily entail picking. some nonreligious people find religion without "picking"

Today I learned that the gentiles who were converted by the apostles were just LARPing, and not in any way real believers.

Conversion happens in a social/historical context and is totally different than being an individual who sets out to find the most correct religion and then adhere to it.

I grew up in a Jewish community. My best friends were jews, my girlfriends were jewish. I was invited to many houses for dinner and I went to a lot of bar mitzvahs. I know judaism very well.

Accordingly I definitely feel a connection to the faith and a very strong loyalty to the people. I know My (((best friend))) would be glad to help me out with any effort to convert but I am forever indecisive

I behead people in videos and send them to america

Then I found allah as my true saviour

Desu Allah desu

>Conversion happens in a social/historical context and is totally different than being an individual who sets out to find the most correct religion and then adhere to it.
>social/historical context
It happened in the past, of course it has a historical context. Much like things that happen now will have historical context tomorrow. Makes no difference at all. A man came and preached. Conversion happened. I'll agree that it is not the same thing as actively attempting to find a religion, but it clearly proves that the "traditions handed to you by your parents" are utterly irrelevant.
I'll rag on people "trying to find a religion" for trying to find a religion most suitable to their preconcieved notions and way of life, and then trying to make themselves believe it so that they can give their opinions a firmer justification through the theological lens. I'll rag on them for being dishonest. But if, for example, a Jehovah's Witness came to your house and convinced you (by talking you to death), or if you researched a religion and found yourself touched by belief - if your belief is spontaneous and genuine instead of forced, then I have nothing to object to you.

is there more of this style of artwork of central american gods.

yeah, but most of them don't do justice sadly

Why do you always make these shit threads?

Nice double trips. the renewer is with us.
but I meant the depiction on the right side not the left side.
I always thought the codices depiction was kind of dorky. Given the true nature of the deities.
pic related

I think is the other way around ha, but certainly both end up falling short.
I also liked the right pic, but it's the only one i've found so far, here's the link
guiler717.deviantart.com/art/Itztlacoliuhqui-Ixquimilli-458513873

im sure people did that at 31AD too. all around those times like hellenic period to end of roman empire must have been so much choices in religion. influences from greek philosophies (which i consider religions), christianity and its sects, manichaeism, zoarastrianism, you had the roman shit, the buddhism and hinduism all influencing eachother and mushing around thanks to the hellenic globalism. you cant tell me some people didnt try to find religions or beliefs. im sure you wouldnt get theology because thats what theologians were trying to make sense of and they mixed their ideas around. You cant tell me mani wasnt trying to find a religion when he created manichaeism. He was the original hippie spiritual pick and mix (my religion is a continuation of all the religions). the romans didnt give a shit about consistency either.

I became a Catholic only after a moment of desperation when I was like 19 in which I concluded it was impossible to determine which one is the true Church and therefore it shouldnt matter so much.
I didnt become a Catholic because I agree with that, but I did become a Catholic after that moment, only after abandoning all hope.

Before that moment of desperation I couldnt decide and constantly read patristics, theology and apologetics, even thinking you couldnt discover what the true church was if you didnt know Hebrew and Greek.

again, i think trying to find a religion isnt necessarily something new. I think maybe it seems new today because we've been coming out of a time dominated by strict hierarchical institutionalised religions like christianity that suppress religious diversity. i think potentially the more unique thing now is that its much easier to find out about other religions but other than that, i dont think we can assume "finding religions" or personalising ones beliefs didnt happen or wasnt plausible before... atleast for some people.

>pure land
what a fucking joke thats the one thing that just complelty ruins buddhism for me

I was born into a family that's been Roman Catholic for something like 1,000 years and now that I'm a teenager, I've accepted Jesus Christ as my God.

why?