/vrg/ - Virtual Reality General

First general. Feel free to create and manage a pastebin and start the next thread with it.

>Temporary links:
vrchat.net/ offical vrchat site with download links and account registration
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_reality what is this

>Recommended VR headsets:
-oculus rift (better hand controllers)
-htc vive (better tracking)
-(alternatively wait for gen 2 TBA release date 2018)

>Things to add to pastebin:
-FAQs
-useful links tutorials and guides (primarily for vrchat) on unity, blender, etc
-model resources
-list of compatible and/or recommended current and upcoming VR games

Previous thread:
N/A

Other urls found in this thread:

mikumikudance.wikia.com/wiki/Category:PMX_Models
github.com/powroupi/blender_mmd_tools
kkhk22.seesaa.net/article/282933265.html
youtube.com/watch?v=QIFn0wqZx7Y
youtube.com/watch?v=N3pUxkM3x5I
mmd-pmd-mall.deviantart.com/
seiga.nicovideo.jp/tag/MMDモデル配布あり
youtu.be/p0txtOuZtx0
pastebin.com/KgBr4kCh
pastebin.com/QgHwLq8R
pastebin.com/QNc18zHd
twitter.com/AnonBabble

faggots without vr need to go

I stepped into a giant sphere in the main hub and had a hundred of these things just staring at me. It was some creepy shit.

Free models:
mikumikudance.wikia.com/wiki/Category:PMX_Models

PMX/MMD plugin for blender:
github.com/powroupi/blender_mmd_tools
>download and extract
>copy mmd_tools to "...\scripts\addons" in blender's folder
>open blender and file > user pref
>go addons tab and search mmd
>check the addon and save user settings
>file > import > click pmx and open your file

Are there any tutorials on how to make your original donutsteal models from scratch?

Useful editor for PMX/MMD files:
kkhk22.seesaa.net/article/282933265.html (Japanese)

Has anyone with a gtx 1060 with a decent overclocked tried supersampling I want to see how far If I can get 1.5 with asw without feeling sick

I dunno but I need this one made. If anyone wants to take a crack at it I don't care if anyone else wants to use it. I just dig the character.

Kinda hope she can be giving flip out robot arm gun action.

It would be easier modifying an existing model, look for guides on YT maybe.

And battle damage mode.

Thread theme.

youtube.com/watch?v=QIFn0wqZx7Y

>Steam download only
Standalone windows installer when? the program isn't even that big.

OP from the /v/ thread here. I pirated the uh, Bumblebee(?) pack which has a voice changer, but I haven't used it yet. Someone on Youtube was using it and it was super effective at turning him into a girl. Anyone else used a good voice changer?

No but i'm curious how effective it is. I used to be able to do an amazing girl voice. It was good enough to fool guys and girls alike. But i'm a few years older and my voice is out of practice sadly.

I'll never forget that time that chick told me I sounded like a fifteen year old girl and that guy said my voice was angelic and he was falling in love. Dem glory days man.

youtube.com/watch?v=N3pUxkM3x5I

Wow, i'm impressed. That's not bad. Cringey kid, good demo.

>(alternatively wait for gen 2 TBA release date 2018)
2nd gen of which one exactly?

I'm also curious about this. If it's in Q1 2018 and the quality/price ratio is higher, I'd rather wait for that.

Found a collection of addons/parts to customize MMDs:
mmd-pmd-mall.deviantart.com/

More MMD models and related stuff:
seiga.nicovideo.jp/tag/MMDモデル配布あり

My rift is arriving tomorrow.

I can't wait to headpat some anime girls.

They do appear to do hardware banning. It must be easier with Steam doing the work instead of Unity.

Are you sure about that? I read some anons who got banned just created new accounts.
Still, it's not a good reason to not release an installer that doesn't require steam, people who get banned are a very small percentage.
Had they released a standalone installer, many more people would be using vrchat by now, because steam is honestly annoying and bloat, never mind all the data mining it does.

>and bloat
speaking of, did VRchat implement a cache size lock yet? Because +25gbs holy shit.

>25gbs
Is that from the other players' models cache? someone might be using exploits to bloat the size.

My understanding is cache is world + player models which is unrestricted in size and does not get, expired, deduplicated, or deleted from the game. And im guessing with a lower size for shock value, as pokelawls stated he got +50gbs deleted and he goes everywhere.

I am sure,for example, if someone keep updating their player model and someone seen every version, all those obsolete versions stay in the cache.

This is a very annoying issue in all honesty when you can't even change location for it; my main drive is an SSD with limited space so I'm kinda annoyed how it keeps getting filled up, and if you delete it it will be downloaded again, taking up space, bandwidth and time once more.

Set up symbolic links to HDD.

Bump for non-faggy no-anime tank character

I missed the Black Friday discount on the Vive. Was hoping for another sale with Christmas.
Instead the winter offer has the same price but comes with Fallout 4 VR, Tilt Brush, and a month of Viveport.
Are those worth it? I don't know know any of those.
Ideally I'd rather wait for another discount, but I have no idea when the next one could possibly be.
I don't suppose there might be a sale for new year's?

Kind of not really but a buddy of mine bought that deal anyway and getting his tomorrow
With how cheap the oculus has been you really want a deal with a price drop and the deluxe strap included - deluxe strap being a fix for how shitty the default strap is and kind of essential for enjoyment
They might announce a price drop soon but that's just guessing because it's a tough sell at $600+ nowadays

Topper tutorial videos are the best.

Go to bed toppper you're drunk.

>deluxe strap
do you mean the audio strap? the one that was included in the Black Friday deal?

Yeah. Ergonomics awful without it.

Is dynamic bones the best option for flowing hair?

I think that's the one that doesn't allow it to clip straight through the body on every movement.

You have to mess around with colliders, but yeah. Dynamic bone is great for hair and skirts that don't clip through.

Seems like it's out of stock at the moment. Too bad.

Does VRchat work on Linux through WINE?

Do you purchase dynamic bones through unity or is it a 3rd party app?

What else is pmx editor used for besides translation? I don’t even use it anymore because Cats does it.

I was hoping it would be easy to find >for free

If you want to add different clothes or a hat to a model, PMXEditor merges bones a little easier than Blender. Otherwise Cats does it all.

Do MMD models have advantages over non-MMD models?

>popular streamer launches vr chat
>hordes of niggers flood in because its free and you dont even need vr

They come pre-rigged, have facial visemes, and most already have eye bones for eye tracking. It's by far the easiest way to get your waifu into VR rather than weight painting & animating from scratch.

I haven't touched custom animations/ facial visemes yet. Are they straightforward to implement?

With MMD models & Cat's Blender Plugin, absolutely. The models already have visemes for lip-syncing to songs, so it's just a matter of getting their names translated and shape keys mixed which CBP can do automatically.

There will also be pre-baked facial animations, like "smile" "surprised" "sad" etc. It's easy to import these over as custom animations in VRChat, but anything *actually* custom will be time-consuming. Luckily giving an avatar a prop or a weapon is fairly easy as well as long as it doesn't do anything fancy like particle effects.

Would you have any recommended tutorials for this? Also, where do you map the facial animations to gestures in VRChat? Is it a VRChat component you add to the model in Unity?

There's a thing in the VRCSDK asset folder called a CustomOverride. Duplicate that and put it in your own assets folder. In your VRC Avatar Descriptor, drag that into the standing animations, and double click it. You'll see a list of emotes/gestures you could replace animations for. Select the animations you want in there and you're good to go.

youtu.be/p0txtOuZtx0 This is a good tutorial for the Unity side of things, but I originally learned the Blender side before CBP was a thing and made it even easier to import. I would just search "Cat's Blender Plugin tutorial", I'm sure there are many good ones out there.

Thank you, user. I'll have a busy long weekend with my new VR headset and learning about this more advanced stuff with models and animations.

If only I didn't have a full-time job.

Don't worry user, it gets easier with practice! I'm also working full time but now can have an MMD model fully rigged with blinking, eye tracking, and custom emotes in a couple hours. The steps between models don't really change so it's easy to get faster with them.

How do you get the animations for the custom emotes?

quick bump

I don't quite understand the part when he goes through the Happy animation, with the custom override - he maps it to 'handgun' in the VRChat SDK, but when he was setting it up, he keyframed all the fingers to make fists. What were the fists for? Is the in-game trigger making a gun gesture with your hand?

Making a good custom avatar sounds like a lot of work, so I was thinking of making a world instead. Any ideas?

No, it's not that. He's just showing you how to bend the fingers. If he were to select the "handgun" emote in-game, that avatar would make a fist instead of the handgun. It's how you make custom hand gestures.

Worlds are just as hard if you want to do anything interesting. Just like importing a humanoid model with no custom emotes or shaders is easy, a blank world where all you can do is walk around is easy too.

The animations come baked-in with the MMD model. They show up in the list of animations automatically and all the guy in the tutorial does is add them to the scene. All he did ahead of time was translate their names, which cat's blender plugin can do automatically.

I just bought an Oculus. I'm super excited.
I've been doing a lot of research on VR games and I have a list, but I haven't found much on ports of normal games. I'm surprised no one has made any mods for Oblivion or something.

I'm talking about a model built from scratch. At least for me, making and rendering maps is a lot faster than a quality character model.

So where does the Happy face/ hand gesture triggering facial expressions come into the equation? Or is triggering animations based on hand gestures something else altogether?

Also how do make sounds with custom animation?

In-game, if he selects the "handgun" gesture, his avatar will instead make a fist on that hand and will make that facial expression. He's overriding the handgun animation with the "fist + smile" animation.

No clue, I'm focusing on custom animations from scratch before I look into sound, but I'm sure there's a good tutorial out there. The discord is suprisingly helpful too even if it's just pointing you towards the right video to watch

Then you're absolutely correct, my apologies. Most custom avatars are ripped from games or MMD so the model itself is already made.

I have a 770
What games can I play? I know not many please say VR chat

That's odd. The MMD models I've got didn't have animations with them, but they did have the blend-shapes for making them.

I have a 960, and VRChat already comes to a crawl in servers with large amounts of more complex avatars.

Sorry for not being specific, those blend shapes were what I was referring to.

I wonder how to trigger facial expressions based on hand gestures. Seems pretty core to the VR experience.

How do you turn those into animations easily?

I'm really sorry if I'm not being specific or doing a shitty job of explaining it. That's exactly what he's doing in that video.

Ordinarily, if you choose the "handgun" gesture in VR, your character extends their thumb and forefinger and that's it.

With his animation override, the guy in that video, when he selects the "handgun" gesture, his avatar instead makes a fist and makes that happy tongue-out face.

If you mean "hand gestures" based on what the *player* is doing, we're not at that point yet. No current VR headsets use gloves. Both the Vive and the Rift use handheld controllers that track your arm movement, and the avatar's gestures are controlled by rotating the right stick, which cycles through things like handgun, peace sign, pointing, etc.

By applying different blend shapes to animation keyframes in Unity, facial animations and expressions can be constructed.

I'm distinguishing between triggers for emotes (animations):
>opening the menu, going to 'emote', and selecting an emote
>making a gesture with your hand

I'm interested in the latter. Reading through your post, you imply it isn't possible, but isn't that what the Oculus Touch controllers do? When you say 'rotating the right stick', is it like, there's 8 directions you can point the stick, and each one corresponds to an emote (which can be set to a facial expression)?

I'm basically wondering how facial expressions can be triggered on-the-fly in VR.

Your example is exactly how it works. Neither the oculus touch nor the vive wands can track individual fingers.

What's special about the touch controllers? Sorry for being dense, I appreciate your patience. I just wanted to be the nice anime girl (boy)

Why does VR take a stronger computer than non-VR? Shouldn't it just require the same thing graphically? Like isn't the only difference from strapping monitors to your face the head tracking/touch?

The touch controllers do track motion & rotation, so you can move your arms around and your avatar's will match your movent. That, combined with the gestures wheel on each hand (not just the right, that was the beer talking) allow for natural looking hand & arm movements. so you can clap, point, hug, and headpat just like you would in real life.

It has to render the game twice: once for each eye. That's how it creates a sense of depth.

Okay so I'm retarded. I'm an old man who doesn't understand computers.
Why couldn't you render it once then stream it to both eyes? Like if I watch a video of a game my computer can't run it doesn't have issue. So why not run it once, then do that with your eyes? Again I am retarded. Please keep that in mind.

Perspective

You wouldn't have depth perception if you streamed the same signal to both eyes. You render it once from the left eye's perspective, and once from the right eye's perspective. The slight difference in camera position gives the VR image the 3D effect that makes you feel like you're actually there.

imminently mental fuckupary when things get close to your face. Sure it would work and likely there is a hidden setting to force it.

Got these really helpful pastebins from an old /vrg/

Recommended VR applications/games
pastebin.com/KgBr4kCh

Oculus rift setup guide
pastebin.com/QgHwLq8R

Htc Vive setup guide
pastebin.com/QNc18zHd

The distance between your eyes makes the difference between normal and VR experience.
In VR your PC needs to process the game from both points of view at the same time so your VR headset can show the different views in the respective left/right screen.

Games with VR mods

GO

They should make it so when a player changes model, the old one from your cache gets deleted automatically.
The worlds should be split in chunks, objects should be cached once, for example if in a world there's an umbrella and the same umbrella model is used in other hubs, that model should be cached once.
There is going to be a bit of troubles differentiating between same models that just have different names I guess but I'm sure the devs can do something about it.

Is 8GB RAM, i5 4460 and GTX 1050 Ti good enough specs for a complete VR set? I don't plan to play any AAA games with it.

Check the first pastebin link above.

I think so. From what I've heard you might want to upgrade the ram but otherwise you're good.

I want to punch anime girls
I don't want the game to be about punching anime girls. I want it to be a nice bonus. Preferably you're supposed to flirt or bang them or something but then I punch them instead. Maybe they even go ONEECHAN WHY when you punch them.

Is there a game?

that wasn't me, but i didn't drink today. :c

>It has to render the game twice: once for each eye. That's how it creates a sense of depth.

Sort of. Single-pass stereo renders for each eye, but it does it in an optimized manner that means you don't have to render the entire view twice.

CPU, actually. VRChat is very CPU intensive. I have a 6700k OC'd to 4.5GHz and a 1080, and my 1080 rarely ever hits 30%, if that. My CPU is always capped out.

>

Be honest, how fucked am I?

770 is gonna be real painful if you're doing VR. If you're doing desktop, you should be okay.

Rift is on the way, I know 770 will be bad but I got a rift for $90 off today. I figure with new cards coming out I can replace the 770 before I can find a rift that cheap again. Besides I'm sure I can play some low demand stuff. r-right?

Post webms

I'm reading those pastebins. It says the Dolphin emulator works in VR.
My hopes are getting way, way higher than they probably should be. Please lower my expectations on exactly what that entails.

holy shit trying to actually make an avatar for vrchat makes me want to kill myself
are there any decent anime waifu MMD models with good rigging that aren't an astronomical number of tris
jesus

That reminds me of an old ass pasta about arcana heart.

>I like Arcana Heart 3 because all the girls look like they could be pushed over really easily. I don't know why, but I like the idea of pushing over girls these days. There isn't even the thought of sexual or further physical violence after the fact. Just the pushing is enough. Yoriko looks like the most pushable, so I guess I'd choose her. I'd love to feel her delicate figure give only the slightest resistance against the force of my arms before disconnecting from me entirely and crashing to the ground with a light thud.

Can my custom emotes still work even without a skeleton? The rigging fucks up my 2D 8bit avatar, and I'm not sure if it's possible the walking animations null.

So why was matsix banned? I'm watching the videos and he appears to be an angry loli that never talks. How do you ban a dude that never talks?