/indie/ - Indie and Misc. Games General

Previous Thread:

>What the fuck is this
/indie/ is the general for all indie games, such as A Hat in Time, Hollow Knight, RUINER, Cuphead, Heat Signature, Steamworld Dig 2, LISA, Yume Nikki, OFF, Middens, Underrail, OneShot, Rimworld, Age of Decadence, VA-11 HALL-A, Subnautica, Machinarium, DashBored, Darkwood, Card City Nights 2, Braid, Monolith, Rain World, Axiom Verge, Guacamelee, The Desolate Hope, West Of Loathing, Stardew Valley, etc. as well as other games that just don't fit in any other general such as Atelier, Rayman, Pillars Of Eternity, Rise Of Nations, and Valkyria Chronicles. Absorbed the /lite/ general some time ago and /jrpg/ is welcome.
A Hat In Time has its own general for the time being.

Mobile or consoles, flash or unity, freeware or early access. This place is a home for the indie game community and indie and obscure games that don't have a home. So be free to talk and share all your hidden gems, forgotten games and starving devs here.

>Can I talk about games that already have a general?
We mostly discuss games that are not popular enough for their own threads (since they have no other home in Veeky Forums), however, all indie games are allowed. So talk about them if you want, but don't overdo it since you already have other generals for that.

>How can I contribute?
All we need right now is people to talk about their loved indie and miscellaneous games, so don't be afraid to post, bump and reply your fellow anons. Also we're looking for anons to make new pastebins/wikis/images and update the ones already made. And please give lots of feel, love, kind and nice to everyone, except namefags. And be sure to make a new thread if nobody else does.

>Recommendations
pastebin.com/ZbG0JPSn

>Booru
indiegame.booru.org

>Steam Group
steamcommunity.com/groups/indiegamesgeneral

>Link to the winners of the GTP Indie Cup.
pastebin.com/u9TYjkj3

PSA: EXPEDTION SOON, JACKS

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/T-iU0VO0prU
fanatical.com/en/game/odallus-the-dark-call
youtube.com/watch?v=kIzQQqN28aU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

anyone doing a sledgehammer build on DOMINATING?
i need some insight, stealthing is really important but i don't see me doing a sledge build without thick skull

reposting from last thread

other than banished are there any good comfy village management games? i want the threat to be mostly environmental and internal and not surviving against monsters at night or some shit, can be current (preferably no early access) or something older

Cuphead was pretty good. Really enjoyed the animation style. Easily brought me back to the days when I watched merry melodies and silly symphonies.

Why so dead?

Everyone's busy with family or gifts or being depressed.

user, it's Christmas.

but this general is always pretty dead.

From a gameplay/UI perspective, are Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale still worth playing or would it be better if I just went straight to Pillars of Eternity or Tyranny?

because there is no
>waifus
>anime based games
>popular games to hate or love
>mindless shooter
>endless ideas to argue about for 40 threads

What are some good point-and-click games? I got pic related in the sale but haven't started it yet.

Some I liked in no order:
>Gemini Rue
>Technobabylon
>The Last Door
>Samorost 1-2
>Machinarium
>Detention
>The Dream Machine
>Maggie's Apartment
>Dropsy
>The Room 1-3
>Ben There, Dan That
>Goetia

And then some kinda weird ones that feel like they belong in a different category:
>Kentucky Route Zero
>Dark Train

We could discuss our favorites of 2017.
Paradigm and Thimbleweed Park.

but i pretty much havnt played any video games for 5 months now, i actually think ive moved past video games, they are all so boring now to me

Fran Bow

Is there any fix at all to the "black screens" in Hollow Knight? Usually you transition from one area to another, screen goes dark while music plays, new area appears. Occasionally I've been getting stuck at this transition screen, and eventually I click the mouse and get a "Hollow Knight is not responding".

I've tried verifying cache, re-installing HK, restarting steam, restarting PC. Google has no definitive answers. I've tried leaving the screen alone for 30 minutes to see if it eventually loads and that doesn't work.

It tends not to happen just exploring areas- I've noticed that it happens more frequently when transitioning to different biomes, and especially near boss rooms. I was stuck for a while trying to get into the room before the False Knight room (the one with the miniboss), and am currently stuck trying to get into the room before the boss in Greenpath- not sure if it's related to near boss rooms or just coincidence.

Adam Wolfe is a bit of a mix between an adventure game and one of those hidden object mom games. Shlocky but entertaining urban fantasy story and I enjoyed it overall, but it's very much on the easy side.

>hey this game looks intere-
>oh early access
>better keep looking

cant be the only one who believes this?

every single interesting game i find is EA and i know for a fact it wont be actually good until 5 years from now if it even lasts that long.

They're not all bad, but you definitely need to do your homework and make sure the developer has a clean track record before buying anything EA. "Don't buy it if you won't be satisfied with it in its current form" yadda yadda is also good common sense. I have Streets of Rogue and Tangledeep and they've been great, very rapid updates and responsive devs.

i havnt brought a video game in 3 months lol probably will never do it again

stopping myself from buying all these 70 hour RPG epics took immense effort of will but overall I feel like I'm better off not spending money on games I never finish because now I'm an adult and don't have time for them.

Children of the Nile killed last thread

I got Oxygen Not Included this morning. Been playing that off and on all day.

Any tips?

Aven Colony which is sci-fi. But it gets kinda old quickly because there's not much in the way of external or even environmental threats.
Forest Village is very Banished-like, though it reminds me more of Stronghold 3.
Planetbase, again sci-fi, day-night cycle, meteors and wind storms are main threats, occasional pirate attacks.
Anno games. 1404 or 2070, but these are more resource management than village management.

They've all been released. There's many, many more early access games though.

Clean air is precious.
Dirty air is heavier than clean air so have proper ventilation and let it flow down into your basement where you can pump/purify it.
Build airlocks to prevent your air from escaping.
Build a dedicated food storage room, airlocked room with co2 or chlorine to keep it germ free and cooled by those plants you find in cold biomes.
Walls have a pressure capacity, so don't use sandstone for your water storage tanks, hard stones like granite is better, abysallite or metal is best.

That's about it.

>52% chance to hit

>Only women can own land, men must rent.
I regret buying a paradox game.

There is actually a culture like that. It's a minority culture in China, I think.

I wonder if men or women from a matriarchal society that's been forced to become egalitarian by a ruthless tyrant would be more inclined to perpetuate that tyrant's rule. For women, nothing's changed while for men their standing in life has gotten better.

That's actually an intriguing question. I suppose it would depend on the man. If he is happy with his position in life, he will uphold the old ways even if "given" the right to be his own man. If he is not, he would take the reigns.

I like /indie/ for this though. It's survived despite lacking much of the usual general circlejerking.

So I can't into Rimworld. Got a base and a couple settlers. What am I supposed to do now? Pretty sure I won't have enough food to last a caravan voyage yet but there's nothing else to do in the starting area but slow research.

The ancient norse/icelanders had similar customs too IIRC, legally women had great power over the land their husbands owned and had pretty much total control over the household finances.

What games did you pick up for yourself this holiday, /indie/?

Invisible Inc and Don't Starve.

Bought Hollow Knight a long while back, but finally just got to playing it. Was enjoying for quite some time, but for whatever reason, the game has decided for the past few days to just start stuttering every 30 seconds for a few seconds. The FPS just takes a nosedive, goes from 60 to like 10 fps. I have all movement upgrades and beat the first Dreamer, and only now has it decided to start doing this. Anybody know a fix? Steam forums haven't been any help, aside from letting me know that people "don't have a problem on their pc."

Poor little cup guy

I don't really know if it was worth it but I swiped this and escaped.
I retract my earlier statement, I am still a god.

That's really strange. Did you try verifying game cache? It's possible a small portion of your disk got corrupted and screwed something minor up.

I want Children of the Nile to stop having bad Overseer AI

I am taking a break from this nonse

>anime based games
there are, they're just also ded right now

aw but that actually sounds neat

I might check that game out, also I like the artstyle

There are other paradox games llike Crusader Kings II and Victoria

My interactions with Paradox come from Stellaris and it's dev Wiz, so it's left a bad impression.

But Hearts of Iron 3 is the best Paradox game

Have you never played a management game of any kind? Your job is to make the colony prosper and prepare for things that can go wrong, i.e. food shortages and raids mostly.

:(

Just tried. Interestingly enough, there was a file missing, but it didn't seem to do anything, since the lag is still just as bad.

Time to continue looking through the forums to see if anything works.

slay the spire devs please nerf book of stabbing

Expedition soon.

The reason for this was simple, too. Men were gone for months on end raiding, and often died in the process or in clan conflicts. It was just more stable to have the women have control of the land, instead of male rivals of the deceased/missing husbands being able to claim it and making an underclass of vagabond women and children.

youtu.be/T-iU0VO0prU

Hat girl game.

Still haven't decided if I want anything. Rimworld looks neat but I don't know if I'd like it or not.

expedition/wargroove/bannerlord when?

Now that I think about it, the Tyranny lore also has it so that only men can own and captain ships. I wonder if they were attempting to draw parallels to something like this.

man as much as i enjoy sunless sea's atmosphere and shit, designing a game for multiple playthroughs when most of the content is text is, like, no.

Gamestop fucked up and put all of these on clearance for $1. Steelbook, DRM free disc copy, Steam code, and Soundtrack CD. LoL.

>aquaria was made by the same people as night in the woods
huh.

Pirate it to give it a try.

About to buy these and later ReCore on the Windows Store .

Is your pc actually using the dedicated graphics card or does it switch to cpu for the game?

Wow how lucky of you. A shame there are only 2 really good games among them.

Night in the Woods is by Infinite Fall and Aquaria is by Bit Blot, LLC. Are you sure they are the same people?

I had a "$5 off any purchase" coupon too. /definitely worth it.

>We could discuss our favorites of 2017
Ok. Only one of the games came out in 2017, but my indie favorite were OneShot, Necrodancer, Hat Game, and VA-11 HALL-A. I'm counting them all as I only played them this year because of /indie/ and OneShot might as well be 2017 anyway.

The recent review for AoD are fucking cancer.

*steam reviews

just one person, i guess, alec holowka

t.Vince

75% seems alright for a turn based text heavy rpg by some indie studio.

I do the same, ittle dew 2 is a 2017 game for me. But Oneshot got the update this year so it fits.

what game?

Anyone play this?

It's pretty good but it's
>early access

>early access
>zombies

Underrail

Its good, but yeah, early acess, no campaing, no multiple playable factions, its always the same shit, same units, same enemeis, same strategy.

hollow knight is fun
pretty impressive that my computer chugs during transitions
the big knights with clubs are jerks

Where can i find a free underrail?
Its just 5$ on steam so want to try it

I'm waiting for Frostpunk. Was supposed to come out this year but didn't.

There should be a free demo floating around the internet, but it's so outdated you are better off pirating a recent version.

fanatical.com/en/game/odallus-the-dark-call
Must buy if you don't own it already.

>The Tenth Line
Hey thanks for reminding me about that one. It looks neat.

cant find it on torrents, tpb has one from february, is that recent enough?

the ruskies have the only reasonable up to date version i'm aware of

I mostly meant the content of some of the reviews.

how to deal with explosive jellyfish assholes in fog canyon

I've played 4 out of 5 (Jotun excluded) and they are very good games, great buy

You can find it easy on limetorrents and torrentfunk.
I've played 14 hours and then uninstalled it, not my cup of tea, inb4 I love Fallout 1 & 2 and played them both on release back on the day

You played the right games. honestly. Jotun is pretty fucking bad.

i dunno if i'd call jotun bad but it sure was mediocre
had some fun environments, but the boss fights which were the point it felt like were all kind of whatever

Enter the Gungeon for the Switch, yay or nay? Isaac works great on it but after 300 hours of it I want to try something similar but new.

Guacamelee is also not that good. Fucking coloured arrow blocks for the backtrack obstackles is so lazy.
The trumpet in this track is fire though and I love it. youtube.com/watch?v=kIzQQqN28aU

My problem with Jotun is that it is one of the blandest competent games I've played in a while. Like, everything LOOKS good and nothing is at all broken, but just playing the game is so goddamn boring. There are very few games that feel like this to me.

Yeah go for it. You probably will like Nuclear Throne as well but that isn't announced for switch.

in terms of similar but new yeah gungeon's a solid pick
i feel like it's less reliant on getting good items and more reliant on being able to dodge but i haven't played a huge amount of either

For some reason, entering water would always slow my PC down for a second.
In tighter spaces it's sometimes better to just keep them alive and try to dash over them, I hated them too

I just got HK and had a little trouble with them as well. You hit them, then run behind terrain (I think if you're in explosion radius, it hits you still, even if you're behind terrain)., or you just jump around them. They're pretty slow, and you can sometimes make space around them by killing little jellies.

So far the most annoying enemy for me is the first one you encounter when you fall into Deepnest-fuck those little earwig type dudes.

i ain't got no dash yet, just a nail and the ability to throw my ghost at people

oh good i'll look forward to it

Who's hype for the next expansion?
Also optional question: Why is Grimm the Sans of Hollow Knight

Okey thanks, just bought it and already playing it, seems pretty nice but I presume it will get better the more you play and go on. Anyway, I usually play in handheld mode but this game almost seems to require docked mode, Isaac is a bit less flashy and the camera is closer so it works in handheld too.