Is 2016 really the eventful, history-changing year everyone is making it out to be or is this just a meme?

Is 2016 really the eventful, history-changing year everyone is making it out to be or is this just a meme?

>brexit
>trump becomes president

What other significant events occurred that are likely to be remembered in the future?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_of_living_in_India
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Pepe the frog made history.

2016 might be marked as the turning point for when Internet-based media and places of discourse started having a significant effect on real-world politics and culture

I think memes will be viewed by future civilizations in the same vein as we today see political cartoons of the past. A few will stand out from the rest, and they'll be exemplify some of the viewpoints of today, though many will be lost to time, never to be seen again.

idonno user, that turning point might just be for the late 2010s. Whatever wacky, crazy year you think 2016 was, the next few will be a magnification of that. 2016 is just the start.

>and they'll be exemplify
oops
i meant to say
>and they'll be used to exemplify

No, that was 2008. Obama was the original meme president, Trump was just the GOP version.

>modi crashing the indian economy with no survivors.

Not 1991 or 2001 tier eventful, but a lot happened.
Ukraine and Syria development, India and China fucking up their economies, Trump and Brexit, the popular mood against refugees swinging, possibly leading to future conflict, same with russian nationalism and anti-western mood, and as some anons have noticed the internet and independent media beating the government funded big media.

Depends on how things play out. If the anti-refugee/anti-globalization sentiment that's building leads to something big it will be. Or maybe something else that isn't getting as much attention as has suggested. And I'm curious, how did India and China fuck their economies? I haven't heard about it.

Do you really think so? Old political cartoons were a big part of my high-school history course and stuff from 'Punch' even came up in exams. Is /pol/ the 'Punch' of the 21st century? Will students of the future look at pepe/wojak memes to contextualize the 2016 election?

>how did India and China fuck their economies? I haven't heard about it.
Modi decided that he was playing a /gsg/ game and destroyed 85% of the liquid cash in the indian market overnight.

What? How is that even possible?

because India is currently living in hyperreality.
It's a memetic ride to the bottom.
>modi shitposts online all day
>actually starts believing the bullshit that his paid shills spout on facebook
>thinks he can do no wrong
>indian middle class has a fetish for "le stronk leader who will make india into singapore."
>instead of taking systematic steps to ensure cashless transactions become the new normal over the next decade, he declares that the two highest denomination currencies are to be banned overnight.
>chaos ensues.
>economic transactions on the ground are completely fucked up.

The madman actually did it. He took a relatively stable economy and burned it.

Fuck me that sounds dangerous. I wish this kind of shit made the mainstream news so that I didn't have to find out about it on the same place where I go for my Chinese fuck-cartoons.

the rest of the world is laughing at america for electing an orange in a wig.
The problem with modi is he realized what the indian 'middle class' wants, and he went full retard pandering to them.
I can write more about it if you are interested.

I know fuckall about Indian politics so this is interesting. How big a piece of their fuckhuge population is the Indian middle-class? What else is there to know?

Also what are the big developments in China? From where I'm sitting they look strong enough. As an Australian I welcome any bad news regarding China.

What he said.

It all depends how it played out.
If Brexit isn't some miraculous change that makes things better in many ways for British people, it'll just be another forgotten invisible border change.

The potential happenings in the first world in our lifetime essentially include:

>More countries leaving the EU
>Northern Ireland leaving the UK, either to join the ROI or to be "independent" (aka; rot)
>Reform on immigrant law/action taken against immigrant communities in countries fueled by anti-immigrant sentiment
>Scotland leaving the UK, however under Sturgeon this is becoming less and less likely
>Some kind of escalation on our part toward the wars in the middle east, with American-Russian co-operation being back on the table
>Potentially more riots in the US after the start of 2017 when Trump becomes "actually" POTUS, particularly when campaigns against the democratic media's hypocrisy work hard to keep it in circulation

It may not seem very "happening" but it's interesting all the same.
Depends how it all plays out.

Right now Northern Ireland is the most interesting bit to me. A land border with the EU is something Scotland-the other place with sentiment toward leaving the UK-doesn't have.

NI is in a weird place where the Unionist vote seems relatively secure and slowly growing, but anti-unionist sentiment is growing faster and a majority of catholic full time workers is coming round even faster than that.

Unless there very strange political parties pull some very smooth moves, there will be a radical and very peculiar shift in power at a turning point when there are more voters not affected by the Troubles than there are.

Dunno about china.
I am an indian with a burger GC.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_of_living_in_India

for the first part of your question.

due to the huge size of this middle class, there is often strong polarization and sensible voices get drowned out. Currently, Indian middle class has two major parts: one that believes that the country is shit, while the other believes that INDIA NUMBER ONE IN THE WORLD SUPERPOWER BY 2020 unironically. This sort of polarization makes it easy to target with nationalistic rhetoric.

The indian middle class was actively courted for the first time in the 2014 general elections by both sides of the political spectrum. The indian "right wing" and "left wing" are pretty much leftist in a country as full of poverty as india, so their economic policies are the same : to leverage the growth of india into providing better living standards for poorer indians.

The indian middle class really wants to play catch up with china. They read news about china in western newspapers, read stories about how this will be the chinese century and how the world is returning to being centred around china. Meanwhile all they read about india is the same old bullshit about "rape, poor, streetshitting and space programs that indians really shouldn't do because it makes the white man confused."

This has led to a form of pretty corrosive neo nationalism in India which is largely based on making India relevant and strong so that they can bask in it's reflected glory. A pretty harmless sentiment, but it has been exploited to the hilt by the current government.

Now the current government was enjoying large approval rating in media by shitposting directly to the masses of the middle class about how india was now relevant and would be great and shit, but the indian public has a very small memory, so the government regularly comes up with grandoise proposals that sound good on paper but don't do too much to pacify it's voterbase.

The entire currency affair was the government listening to it's own echochamber for too long and instead of taking substantial infrastructure related steps to transition to a cashless economy over the next few years, decided to remove most of the currency in the market in one fell swoop, and replace it with different denominations.

It was all fine for the first couple of days but now business has ground to a halt because of production delays in the new notes and unavailability of lower denomination notes.

So does India seem to have any chance of superpowering within the next couple of decades or has the government seriously hamstrung the whole country here with this?

we're on the right side of history now bitches

>fake money in India
>president decides to fight it by removing all high denomination money
>he does that with no warning, so people have like 5 hours to turn all their Rs2000 bills into Rs100 bills
>most don't make it, so now they have useless paper
>the indian people go from okayish to absolute poverty cant afford salt within hours
>the largest bill on the market right now is Rs100, which is worth about $1.50

Yes, if you want to buy a car in India, you bring many $1.50 bills to pay for it.
No, they don't even have internet or telephone coverage everywhere, so credit cards aren't common.

>you will see a pajeet civil war in your lifetime

not really.
India is kinda like every other major economy and can withstand a shock, but yeah for the next fiscal year, india's growth is stunted.
Split second programs like these also reduce the trust people have in government, which is far more dangerous IMO.

India did something similar in 2005 but it was very well organized so people didn't even know a thinh.
>salt
it was literally a bunch of funposters.
Salt is still in the market, and you could exchange your old bills for the new ones until yesterday evening. Right now you can deposit money in your bank account and use it later.

but yeah, it was a poorly thought out move.

Kurdistan will born
Syria will splinter as well as Irak
OIL NO LONGER WILL BE USED AS A TOOL OF EXTORTION

>the rest of the world is laughing at america for electing an orange in a wig.

>>>/reddit/

It is actually very popular.
People petition him to do it every 5 years, so that it would make corruption and hoarding impossible.
The common people in India love to bash the rich, even if they have to suffer themselves to do it.
The joy of fucking up rich people is greater than the suffering of being poor to them.

Amerilards don't belong on Veeky Forums since they have no history

>guy says that paying taxes is for chumps, won't let go of his businesses while running a country's presidency and actually gets elected.
>despite losing in the popular vote
>not being laughed at.
more likely to see a burger civil war, considering indian voters actually vote out people they disagree with during local elections as well.

t. either Portugal or eastern Europe
Anyway Europe is fucked because no more NATO for you

>haha we won't occupy you anymore haha you are fucked now because we release you from occupation haha!

>t. either Portugal or eastern Europe (not true btw)

Better that than being blackmailed by Russia

the people shitposting online and saying that modi sama has finished corruption aren't the majority of indian people
Try standing in front of an ATM for 3 hours straight and watch as it runs dry.

Actually in Greece we stand in front of ATMs all day, because we have a daily allowance we are allowed to withdraw.

And who are you, exactly?

Some disgusting shit streeter. Off yourself.

Russia has big appetite and bad teeth, they are not a match for a union of UK, France and Germany.

>off yourself
no u.

Greece has a tiny population compared to india. A lot of people in India don't have bank accounts and keep their money in high denomination notes. Watching the government declare your savings to be scrap overnight isn't going to do wonders for people's trust in the government.

>union of UK...
Stopped reading there. Do not count with the UK. It's Merkelreich and baguettes alone

NATO (or post-1945 in general) is what's caused Europe's decline. Better for us to cut loose and sink or swim.

Harambe got killed

Any of those countries could flip to Russia's side in the near future.

>le brexit meme

UK stands with continental Europe in any potential argument.

this.

hella.

>decadent leftists try to overthrow the nationalists in the states

oh wait, they don't have any weapons, and the military is predominantly republicans, looks like a leftist genocide to me

I approve

Only if Hindi Nationalists go full Sri Lanka

>everyone who disagrees with me will be genocided and then I can make my perfect state headed by a reality TV show star, a bunch of beverely hillbillies minus the oil and faith in jesus christ and kek.

bless the don gas the cucks

>cucks
so when are the alt right gonna start gassing each other?

when there's nothing left but us we'll turn society into true aestheticism