/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Adventure edition

Previous thread
PLEASE NOTE: Dwarf Fortress has just received an update. If you play the newest version (44.03), be prepared for plentiful bugs and crashes. Do not complain about your bugs and crashes here, report them here: bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.44.03.
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist:
github.com/Dwarf-Therapist/Dwarf-Therapist/releases

>DFHack (Alpha for 44.02, expect bugs):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164123
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Legends Viewer:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154617.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11455

>Starter Pack (Out of date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/g7T4tVKJ
pastebin.com/mksR3YZe
youtu.be/4lfnJ4X3BEc
youtube.com/watch?v=PneVh7GAqCw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

underrated

indeed

gse

Anyone with some experience in modding creatures for civilizations around? My shit's broken.

if yout shit is broken then use super glue

i can try

first reply decides my embark and starting dwarf skills

terrifying biome

all unskilled peasants no animals no plump helmets

ez ty

I caught 4 necromancers that led an undead invasion on my fort after a year in and decided that I needed to free up some cages. I guess I kept them confined longer than I thought.

Well I think I've narrowed down the problem to the creature raws(as opposed to entity raws). Been tweaking with them for a while, this is the basic concept, but I can't get them to form civilizations. I've gotten animal person based civilizations working before without issue, but this is my first time trying to make more dramatic use of the caste system.

pastebin.com/g7T4tVKJ

If they aren't forming civilizations, it's the entity files, can I see your entity file?

Well first off they have a duplicate creature name, which can't be good. Second, according to the errorlog:
>*** Error(s) finalizing the creature ELEMENTMAN_CRYSTAL
Error Initializing Text: data/speech/human.txt

I had a more customized one that wasn't working so I've just been testing it with a creature modified dwarf entity files, which also isn't working for me.
pastebin.com/mksR3YZe

Do you know any others entertainer yt channel like kruggsmash that i can enjoy? Any particulary recommendations?

So I've fixed the .txt file (I presumed the token instead of looking it up) and still no luck. And yeah I tested it without the duplicate name file and nothing, though I doubt that's the issue since it's based on ant man syntax, unless I'm missing something.

>though I doubt that's the issue since it's based on ant man syntax, unless I'm missing something.
No, not duplicate creature and caste names. The creature name is a duplicate of the vanilla amethyst man.

Yeah I double checked and I've had that removed already, though the actual creature file I'm working on uses a different name, I'm just using this one as the example because it doesn't contain 140 different castes. Trying to pinpoint the issue by getting this simple one working with only two castes.

> bugfix update released
> get excided and download it
> unzip and move all files to the DF folder without thinking about it
> but you were working on a mod with fixes to the raws

thankfully this didn't happen and my personal mods are fine.

I like to use Cheat Engine's speedhack to make DF run 2x as fast.
Vanilla speed just doesn't cut it for me anymore.

you can raise the speed in the init file you oaf

Behold

>implying my computer can run anything at 189k fps

do you want to melt my processor, user?

if you just leave the fps uncapped the game will go as fast as your computer can handle.
also, that guy probably just has the game paused

I didn't knew that, and that's actually pretty cool!
thanks, guys!

check out the init.txt and d_init.txt in the data>init folder. it's got a lot of options that all have pretty good instructions to what they do.
almost every one of those fancy third party "hack" software essentially is just a glorified text editor.

any tips for making macros?

get a numpad and program it to make most of the game playable with one hand.

Reusability is key. Like, a lot of commands start from the designation menu, so make a macro for the 'd' key. Then combined with other macros, you can do things like build walls or mine ramps!

So worldgen is only supposed to generate one megabeast and no titans

What does this mean "age of asa"

When they are named what megabeast is that?

That means that Asa is the only dominant power in the world. As for what beast it is, I dunno.

So, over half of my fortress's population is monster hunters. I'm getting seems like at least one petition a month. Is this normal? I wasn't getting this prior to the latest patch.

yep

check out ages on the wiki, its actually pretty interesting

big
dorf
benis

did 44.03 fix megabeasts pathing to ur fort and people nonstop puking

>big small penis

I think someone said it did yeah.

nonstop puking has always been a thing

i'm thinking about making some breastplates (and maybe random armor bits?) from chitin at a craftsdwarf's (as you can pretty much only get it from giant insects, it's less farfetched than mussel shell gauntlets)
looking around the raws and the wiki, it looks like i'd need to add something like this to the CHITIN_TEMPLATE
>[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:CHITIN_ARMOR:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:CHITIN]

and then, to... i guess reaction_other.txt add
> [REACTION:MAKE_CHITIN_PLATE]
> [NAME:Make chitin breastplate]
> [BUILDING:TANNER:CUSTOM_c]
> [REAGENT:chitin:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE] [HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:CHITIN_ARMOR]
>[PRODUCT:100:1:ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_BREASTPLATE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:chitin:NONE]
> [SKILL:BONECARVE]

would that work? blow up in my face?

Everyone told him it was broken in 43 and he fixed it in 44.

What is the token that defines a dwarf's goal? like "become a legendary warrior"?

I have no idea, but suddenly I want a TES mod.

I just lost all respect for you user

not him but daggerfall is almost as autistic as DF

This is a spiral bound codex entitled 36 Lessons of Vivec, authored by the autistic Michael kirkbride elf Vivec. It concerns the ascension of Vivec to throne of the Tribunal Islands in the year 700. Overall, the prose is awful.

Its a combination of an individuals values - the goal itself is selected at random from ones that their values match up with (i.e if they value martial prowess and craftsmanship, they'd either have the "legendary warrior" goal or "craft a masterwork" one)

I dream of the day when a modding wave like the skyrim one hits dorf fort.

People already talk a lot more about modding at least around here than they used to. One big problem with some kinds of modding projects is the game isn't finished yet. Sure, a science fiction total conversion mod would be awesome, but it would be even cooler with a bunch of unreleased features. The raws could use some fresh attention too, there's a lot of unsupported stuff like asexual reproduction and heavy customization of structures and rooms. Hell, all the changes I've made to the raws over the years have me playing a different game, but I can't control the setting as much as I would like to. I won't be happy until I can get something like magic sentient geometric objects building acropolises in the sky or full blown icthyid civilizations with amphibious capabilities and an interesting undersea world to interact with. We need to get behind Toady with a whip or something.

There was a surge years ago, but then MW came out and fucking killed most of the modding activity (aside from ponyfags and furries).
That said, it looks like recently there's been more people active both on here and on Bay 12. So I'm hopeful.

Also, what said - game's technically still in alpha, so while modding is very much possible its also rather limited in a lot of things you can or cant do or edit, i.e ranged weapon firing speed, asexual reproduction, hermaphrodite animals, most dialogue, etc.

Of all the mods out there, a TES would be one of the least autistic. I mean there's a fucking brony fallout mod.

I'd go crazy if I could get my hands more around dialogue in the raws.

Same, I'd love if it'd be possible to have different "greetings" for different races for example - or different circumstances i.e your standing with their civ. Goblins definitely shouldn't be as polite to outsiders as everyone else.

>identify yourself!

i knew about the mlp mods, but there are furry mods for DF?

DF is furry as fuck out of the box

Yeah, shit like "furry fortress".

I don't really know what the use is considering DF already has animal men which are more or less furries.

didn't furry fortress just add fur clothing? or am I thinking of something else?

Nigga, you can play as animal people and craft leopard thongs in this game, what more do you want?

>just for laughs haha

youtu.be/4lfnJ4X3BEc

Have Toady finally hammered out he bugs after the raider of the innocent elf village update?

sounding alot more relaxed/ awake/ alert than in your earlier videos. i like it!

thank you. i'm not sure what i did to accomplish it.

>mod game so that dwarves have multiple children
>mod the game so that dwarves can be assigned jobs as young as 5 years old
>my military is child soldiers, child soldiers everywhere

reminds me of pic related

pretty much.

that feel when you have a one year old who is a legendary bonecarver

>Volcano embark
>Stonecrafter gets strange mood and makes a legendary ring
>put floor over volcano, pedestal with ring on top
>remove the connecting floor

What could possibly go wrong?

rape mod when????

when you make one

how does [LITTERSIZE] work? would putting [LITTERSIZE:2:4] make my dwarves have at least 2 kids and as many as 4? i want my dwarves to be extra fertile.
you can make it but it's not that good when it's actually in the game. obok meatgod is where to look.

literally impossible because toady hides vital parts needed from the raws. His priorities are adding homos

>obok meatgod

not enough to read about it, user

MUGGING THONGS AT KNIFEPOINT CANNOT SUSTAIN ME FOR MUCH LONGER

obok meatgod didn't happen. it was made up by an edgy attention whore who doesn't know how raw modding works.

it's still doable, but obok meatgod in particular didn't happen.

Just make an open source version of DF that's easily moddable. At least three other devs made closed source versions that are almost as shitty but with GRAPHIX and they've made hundreds of thousands of dollars off it (Rimworld is made in Unity ffs).

The first person to make a fortlike that utilizes the graphics card for computation is going to be a very wealthy man. I imagine a game like Dwarf Fortress combined with an open-world + combat dynamic of Divinity: Original Sin II would be an instant hit. It be extremely easy to have things going on in the world background (same old dice rolls) while you build your fort and then have things slow down when enemies get into combat range of your dwarfs - you could easily have co-op PVP or online even.
I imagine you start with an Adventure Mode character that takes the role of a leader of NPCs to start a fortress or to raid other fortresses, where you only control your main character directly during combat while your NPCs just do their best like in normal DF combat. If you have a fort or party and you die you just control whomever the game decides is next in line to be leader, until you die and have to create a new character from a hamlet of your civilization.
I know there's several problems with it (like being able to dig, probably just would have to have a path accessible by non-digging weapons similar to DF's Wagon access to depots) but it has the potential to be amazing. If only I had programming experience, best I could possibly do is some shitty Game Maker game - as every other fortlike dev.

TRANNIES

FUCK SAKE CUNTS, SOMEBODY MAKE A FUCKING RAPE MOD ALREADY JUST GRABBING A WOMEN BY THE NECK AND BEATING HER WITH MY FIST GETS ME ROCK SOLID

I NEED THIS MOD

I'm actually pissed because I doubt he's going to add racial identities or framing other characters but adds sexual orientation. I want to RP as an existing god and have most characters believe me after I get a cult following (potentially being cursed by said god) or find and kill some goblin who's convinced a town he's a dragon.

play rimworld, you degenerate. that game has it.

>play rimworld

FUCK OFF

>wants rape mods
you're the one who should fuck off m8

What's the harm faggot, do tell

some guy in this general told me like 4 - 5 years ago that Ultima Ratio Regum was going to blow Dwarf Fortress out of the water because finally there was a competent programmer working on a DF clone.

in case you're still here, I just want to rub it in your face that the game still doesn't even have NPCs

>a degenerate doesn't recognise harm in rape
yep, checks out

>relaxed
>alert
pick one user

>>a degenerate doesn't recognise harm in rape

IT'S NOT REAL DUMBFUCK

>look through guests
>notice a sole goblin dancer

Okay sure why not.

The fact you need a game to simulate rape is worrying in itself. Real or not, why do you need rape out of anything. The fact you got to defend it against the user about it is also worrying.

>worrying
>worrying
>worrying cunt

a dwarf fortress general: everybody is talking about rapes now, guys, we can talk about another thing?

everytime people start discussing game mechanics or fort layouts, some killjoy has to come and launch autism accusations left and right. consequently, all we're allowed to talk about is stale meta-memes.

This game is terrible. This was a Kickstarter game long before Kickstarter existed. People only like it for the idea of the game - most people don't even play it due to terrible controls that have been a problem for a decade. It's cringey fanbase conflates bugs with lore, with most stories all about dated 10-year-old gameplay of drunken cats and killing giants with bunnies that would make even TVTropes cringe. The long delays between updates shows the incompetence of the developer - high-priority bugs like telling your soldiers how to dress properly could have been solved by any semi-competent developer but the dev instead chooses to add things like more dialogue options that could have been added in mere minutes by even a beginning programmer - a task which took Toady almost a decade.

It's just like Minecraft or Overgrowth or Cube World: once it leaves alpha everyone will realize how shit it truly is. Of course Toady is clever enough to make sure that day never truly comes and that he gets a steady paycheck until the end of time. You never liked Dwarf Fortress, only the idea of what it could be.

youtube.com/watch?v=PneVh7GAqCw

what dis means?????1??

it's sad we don't have any visualiser for taking screenshots of our megaprojects anymore.

all japa does nowadays is add awkward HD textures for every tiny plant, as well as pandering to the "would play DF if it only had 3d graphics" crowd. by default the visualiser is set to only show a limited number of z-levels. why? because showing all those tiny details in HD has become so hardware heavy. you "can" increase the number of shown z-levels, but it sure won't be toaster friendly.

I just wish pic related was up to date. it's probably the best visualiser DF has had to date. clean, smooth, minimalist. and most importantly: it was consistent.

an engraving got destroyed by plants. this is why you shouldn't get your natural smooth floors wet.

That line is brilliant. Toady's writing is excellent sometimes.

>best I could possibly do is some shitty Game Maker game

hey let's be honest here, user, you wouldn't be able to even make this