>News
IVAN 0.51 released
github.com/Attnam/ivan/releases/tag/v051

RIP mutagenic chunks
Crawl tourney starts Jan 5
crawl.develz.org/wordpress/trunk-updates-and-0-21-tournament-release-info

New Sil fork out.
github.com/sil-quirk/sil-q/releases

ADOM r81 released for free, get it here (!!!includes star sign selection!!!)
adom.de/home/downloads.html

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

>Roguelike Servers:
roguenex.us/ (CDDA, angband, PCB)
angband.live/ (Angband and variants, including PCB)
hardfought.org/ (Nethack and variants, including slex)

Would anyone here play a roguelike for the gameboy color/gameboy? How many people actually played Powder on the DS? Plz respond.

I only ever played powder on my phone.
Why would you want to make a roguelike for gameboy though?

Because the gameboy has a lot of limitations and I think it'd be fun to try to port one over to it would be fun. But then I realize probably no one but me would actually play that, so I don't know if itd be a big waste of time. It's more likely people would play it on the DS.

Decisions

wish for food you fatty

weapon

There's always next time.

why would you acquire weapon when you already have a greatmace in lair
surely you have something better to wish for with greater potential gains

look at that great mace with your special eyes and tell me about your brand

I'm not experienced with crawl post D1-8. I have 5 enchant weapon scrolls and I'm not really sure if I should use them now or if there's something better later on.

It's the same thing. Unless I'm being dumb.

great mace is the best two-handed mace in the game
and even if it wasn't, earlygame strength is more important than late-game strength so there's still a strong argument for using the scrolls now
you'll likely want to rebrand it later though

uh that spiked big club or something is better

if you dont live to endgame then it hardly matters huh
if u need the strength then use em
protection ends up being a real shit brand though

minotaurs aren't ogres

Do you change brands by scroll?

Did they fix Cata yet

to brand a weapon, use the scroll of brand weapon

I've beat Lair for the first time. I'm assuming I should do the last level of Orc and finish the dungeon before going into shoals or snake.

Makes sense. I was thinking you had to throw it into a fountain or put it on some alter for some reason.

Are these dragon scale armors worth using at some point? I have have 3 from fire,steam, and swamp dragons.

snake is easy if you have rpois

no
you want crystal plate or good artifacts

That was a mistype, I have spider.

spider is ez if you have rpois

Yes. Swamp and fire are both very quality armor types.

not for trog

But resists are the most important thing to fix. Especially rPois/rFire. Papa Troggu won't give you that shit.

rpois is easy to come by
fire causes -cold so it sux

Not really tho.

Are you guys going to play in the crawl tourney coming up?

Orc genocide complete. It was pretty easy, only time I was in danger was when I thought I could rush three centaurs and an orc warrior while they were pelting me with arrows and bolts. Going to finish dungeon (assuming I don't splat) and off to bed.

Side note, how hard is elf? Not going there anytime soon but I'd like to know what I should keep my eye out on.

orc knight*

maybe

And it's over. Hellion Spawn and their faggot buddies hanging out on their lava island almost got me. Had to go back to my stash and read the holy word scroll or whatever to kill most of them. I'll do spider first, the only form of rpois i can get is from swamp dragon armor. Off to bed.

L2stashbros ww@

I don't know what, if any, changes they've made over the past year, but Elf can be absolutely fucking brutal. You are playing Russian Roulette if you go in there without decent magic resist, because there is at least one type of elf that will happily port you to the Abyss.

The last level of Elf in particular has some really potent damage dealers that tend to come in swarms - some are casters, some are dualwielding anime blenders, some are arrow-spewing Legolas types. And there are also summoners that will create swarms of demons that deal good damage and block you from reaching the elven back line.

The only thing in your favor is that they are all pretty flimsy. If you can funnel them into a killbox, you can pop them one after the other before they have a chance to fuck you up the ass.

5 versions ago is where we at

What's the cool place to stash things now that monsters won't loot your stuff?

I've heard DCSS has changed spawn rules recently.
Could someone please explain what's different now?

literally anywhere
drop items right where you find them in the middle of the dungeon and use ctrl-f to get them later

don't make a "stash" where you kite all your loot to one central location. there's no need

>drop items right where you find them in the middle of the dungeon
Do you take me for some kind of savage?

Considering you go around killing, butchering, and eating every living thing you come across, yeah, I would say so.

>Considering you go around killing, butchering, and eating every living thing you come across
>tfw we're truly the villains of every roguelike, killing and slaughtering innocent creatures trying to defend their home while we cannibalise their people and destroy their ecosystems

have you gotten the 'gated community' vault? that's where it really hits home

>If you can funnel them into a killbox, you can pop them one after the other before they have a chance to fuck you up the ass.
Remember that the new elf elementalists will actively break your killholes by turning rock into earth elementals.

COBRAAAAAAAAA

Dorf fort is the best roguelike ever made

what about dark souls

not a roguelike
also gwyndolin a shit

do not bully cute videogame girls

I still stash my books

those are gonna get goldified sooner or later anyways

>le [insert animal corpse] penetrates the [insert enemy] chest as you throw it
>ZOMG SO EBIN XD XD XD XD

this but unironically

>girl (male)
The moon was a mistake.

>animal corpses
>not live beetles

>hot choc and spic hot choc can't be crafted with clean water as well as normal water, as opposed to every single other food recipe in the entire fucking game
>they need specifically dirty water

"""chocolate"""

>making choc without milk

die

It does contain milk you fucking faggot.
You see this shit?
Literally every food recipe in the entire fucking game that takes water will take clean water as well, except for these two recipes.

>dcss
>fantastic run
>learning from my mistakes from past XXX runs
>autoexplore into water
>eel
>die

really makes me think

Should I swap the ring of cuthud for one of the two equipped rings?

oh well

I'm conent though

How do i take screenshots of crawl? Print screen doesnt appear to work, is there an ingame button?

Yeah, should have swapped the prot rnig out
Also you didnt id the pots and you have 5 scroll of id's ad you didnt id the rings, even tho you ahve remove curse scrolls as well

You need to put it in windowed mode, you need to edit the config file for max width and height and something else i think

Gonna quit my job and be a roguelike twitch streamer.
Will you guys donate?

>Streaming games that look like the background art for the Matrix

I hope your commentary is top of the line.

If only I was a cute girl with giant knockers.

Anyone playing Caves of Qud?

Some do. I'm not.
I own it but haven't even put 45 minutes into it.

I'm just looking for build recommendations and such, the pastebin didn't have too much of that

Sorry m8, well if you figure it out maybe you could be a dear and update the pastebin? :)

What the fuck kind of hot chocolate requires water AND milk? That makes no sense.

I have the 'tism to try out everything and make an in depth guide, expect one in the next few weeks

Someone post the roguelike flowchart

Esper is most likely the best build path.
Mutant genotype, Esper, Force Wall and Light Manipulation as your starting mutations, the rest can be whatever you want. Personally I really like Clairvoyance.
Max Ego, good Will, decent Toughness.

All of it is pretty viable though once you figure out the basics.
I like True Kin Artifex, with high (not maxed) Intelligence and across-the-board decent/high attributes. You'll start with some neat random gear that'll more often than not ease your early game, and later on as your crafting picks up pace you can branch out into pretty much any role you want thanks to your Intelligence and the diminishing returns of specializing in Qud. Longswords and/or Shortswords followed by Rifles would be my recommendations starting out.

I'd say go for a Naturalist build.
Go for decently high Ego, Strength and Agility
Pick Burgeoning, Night Vision, Clairvoyance, Beguiling, Sleep/Corrosive Gas Generation and Photosynthetic Skin. Make the defect you have whatever you want
Find some fungi and get covered in their spores
Become a walking mushroom man blasting unsuspecting foes with giant waves of trees and enslaved animals.

And it's done. Orb spiders can eat shit.

Time to prepare for shoals.

>when your entire playstyle changes because you don't want to look stupid

In Crawl which gods are the obvious newbie traps? Which ones aren't so obvious? Qazlal comes to mind for not-so-obvious. Most are situational and a few are amazing, is there a tier list of some sort?

None of the gods are bad.

Even Xom?

I'm horrified. I had to go home from a family dinner.
You can't mix water and milk like that even if the world is in peril

There should be a luxury/"rich" hot chocolate (with milk), and the other should be "plain" or something

monsters don't spawn after level generation, and the "super OOD" timer where very hard monsters would spawn after a long time on a level has been removed. Furthermore, a portion of monsters on each level are now generated awake and roaming.

>
>have you gotten the 'gated community' vault? that's where it really hits home
I've never heard of that vault, and chance you know what branch/floors it appears in or which .des file it's in?

Hey RLG, quick question, why does nobody ever use the Wumpus method of level generation? One way pathways and twisting non-euclidean levels seem like they'd be quite fun while forcing players to learn old school methods of mapping./

>Dark craftable:Impossible
Is this a joke about microwaves?

>Lair entrance guarded by hellhounds
Is this a deliberate setup just to fuck with FEs?

Lasereyes and force bubble/wall is a bad combo.
Normally friendly attacks including bullets and mental muts can pass through the wall, but unless they fixed it the lasers cannot.

>non-euclidean levels
Probably roguelikes do not do this because it would be impossible to display on a euclidean rectangular 80x24 grid.

Adventure games or MUDs with no visible map could work, but those are out of fashion and so very few are being made.

Pretty sure that's a feature, it would be an insanely strong combo otherwise, as it stands it's just a very good combo. Force-Wall (or bubble, depending on personal preference) is a must-have utility for an Esper, while Light Manipulation is the most reliable and sustainable offensive mental mutation early game due to it's low cooldown and guaranteed hit.

Since Light Manipulation can't miss, range isn't a factor, so if you see a threat you don't want to deal with in melee, throw your lights at it, set up your barrier, and retreat while your lights recharge. Or pelt it with arrows/bullets if you have them.

>forcing players to learn old school methods of mapping
This sounds like a lot of fun until you remember you're talking about a genre where you constantly die and restart and when you leave a level you pretty much never go back to it.

You would end up spending more time mapping than actually playing the game.

Spending time mapping instead of doing other things isn't very fun when you could potentially die. Additionally, you have to ask yourself if mapping actually adds something to the game in a positive way. I personally hate mapping (partially because it always seems to go hand in hand with traps that fuck you) because it encourages stuff like search walking or just using magic/consumables/whatever to reveal the map. It reminds me of PCB where it is actually a fault to take a step outside of revealed tiles.

where can I find the moshrooms?

Fungi Forest
Either that or by looking in random dungeons. They spawn everywhere, you just need to find them.

Can I get them in slots where I can't wear gear due to mutations?

I don't think so.
Bu they appear randomly on your body, so any spaces available will work.

Anyone here play Cogmind?