/arena/ - Arena FPS General

A place to discuss all of your favorite old-school and modern arena shooters such as Quake Live, Quake Champions, Unreal Tournament, Reflex, etc.

Current Q:C News: This game eats poop!! And it's almost new years, I hope you all have a good one you turdheads!!

Merry Christmas ya filthy animals
youtube.com/watch?v=e-dz5tfbUyo

>Tutorials
youtube.com/watch?v=SSNNhUAVRuA
youtube.com/watch?v=gpir6ZZKmcM
youtube.com/watch?v=SlCRfTmBSGs
youtube.com/watch?v=pLmuRRm1Bag&list=PLxP7tvMqaXzDjw7OYYIEbplCdZOaHLFPg
youtube.com/watch?v=f8CP1oSy_-o
youtube.com/watch?v=QRe3g65S4Zs&list=PLgbx1wWCtM2DYy26yCLbtY6A0XRiSEM3u&index=1
youtube.com/watch?v=n2tdDZWSGy4
youtube.com/watch?v=dkED2PSrl1c

>Q:C custom weapon skin showcase, complete with dual wield:
my.mixtape.moe/qebphk.webm

>List of /arena/ fags willing to play Q:C
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1w_r9pS_mV3vAZXwJmb5gM5LB2km77pkAx9s0aGFDxR0/

Olde:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RxoOgnWpZQU
twitch
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

firs for fucking slash on new year's eve and having her cum in your ass just as the ball drops

>This will never be a skin for Clutch

>your qc duel rank
>starter weapon
>most used champion roster for duel

OP, I can tell you're a child because you actually like Q:C and you believe the Q3 is perfection meme.

stop posting slash futa memes

you're not the boss of me

u got a problem with me punk ill knock ur lights out

>cooldown for bj active is 50 seconds
>passive heals you max 24 points
id has no idea how to balance game...

all they have to do is reduce the cooldown and BJ would be playable.

They could actually play with different variations.
Have one month(till next patch) active to be toggle from 1 weapon to dual wield with transition time of 2 second or enough that you can't use it mid fight. Because dual wield would be kind of OP passive could be something negative like you use double the ammo with each shot when dual wielding, 2x or 1.5x fire rate but 4x ammo usage. At least in duel the weapon and ammo control might become more important.
Kind of silly that they are so polished with the champions. When new champion comes it has all the runes and stuff so even when the game is still in "early access" they are already so deep they likely won't change the passive / active of champion, just the stats.

Q3 isn't perfect but it's still the highest quality afps. id themselves seem to live under its shadow
>Q4
>MP is largely a Q3 retread, tweaks to movement
>QL
>uses most of the Q3 executable, tweaks to movement and weapon damage
>QC
>They're taking Q3 as the ideal and trying to expand on that
Who knows what came first, id believing the Q3 hype or the fans doing so, but Tim & co. definitely are afraid of straying from Q3's ideas and formula. They won't risk something like QW or Q2 ever again

Rune challenges don't seem that difficult to add though, they seem mostly copy paste "accomplish x y times" asides from a few character specific runes.

Once they roll out the hitbox changes I hope they take the time to have a good long look at the champion balance. Why they haven't done anything to Nyx is stupid imo, a change as simple as adding a phase trail like they had in Titanfall 2's phase shift would've made it possible to predict where Nyx was going and run away or reengage her.

It's already in isn't it? There is a distinct arrow like trail for a second or so showing where she went.

>implying nyx doesn't just 360 and run away

>They won't risk something like QW or Q2 ever again
This is why all of their multiplayer games are failing. They tried something "new" with Q:C but the execution was shit due to development outsourcing and it's basically too little too late.

It's been awhile since I played Titanfall 2, but the issues with Nyx are similar to what we had there. With one pilot class being to phase out of danger, not once but twice even.
The trail that was added certainly lasted longer than the short wisp at the ability's activation, and if I recall would appear again during the duration. Shouldn't be too difficult to just have another trail appear about halfway through ghostwalk.

I find it strange how I absolutely suck with ranger but play well with visor.

youtube.com/watch?v=RxoOgnWpZQU

I was wondering why I have hard time aiming. Fuck these effects are just too much visual noice.

>never have any problems whatsoever with QC prior to winter patch
>post-winter patch i couldn't launch the game
>took 3 days to get it fixed but finally it's back to normal
>drive a few states away to visit family over christmas
>come back to a QC that launches one out of every 5 attempts, has a 50% chance to crash during initial loading, 20% chance to crash randomly sitting at home screen, and 100% chance to crash when i try to load any map/game

ebin

It's called Doom 3 and the duel and TDM were both much better despite the slower base move speed.

Tried updating your graphics drivers?

I'm not crazy about Doom 3 MP. Rockets are even more dominant than in Q1 and the mobility isn't there to dodge them

literally become proficient if you think the rockets are too strong

Now Prey, that had fucking dominant rockets in MP

huh

gold2
shotgun
anarki, nyx, sorlag

lg needs moer pushback

maybe agreed.
I think if the enemy is in the air and you hit him with lg you can keep him floating.
If enemy is ground and trying to rush you with pummel then the pushback feels lacking. At least in QL you could never walk toward enemy shooting you with lg.

>If enemy is ground and trying to rush you with pummel then the pushback feels lacking.
this is my main reason for wanting it buffed. this shouldn't be happening with good lg accuracy. there needs to be some sort of punish for that strategy.

Proposed changes to the most annoying actives in the game
>Injection
Instead of insta heal make it regen for the same amount, regen stops once Anarki hits full health. This means Anarki would have to use it more often as an escape instead of "lol you didn't actually direct rocket me, now I kill you". This also makes injecting show the enemy "hey I'm low health, shoot me."
>Ghost walk
Just remove the invincibility. This would make it so you have to use it more of an ambush ability which is much more interesting than get out of jail free card. If you did use it to escape you would have to be smart and unpredictable about where you go.
Thoughts /arena/?
Any abilities you'd like to see changed?

LG pushback is sufficient until its one of the fast small hitboxes, a tiny pit LG inaccuracy + their speed and smug Anarki is proud of his sick gauntlet skillz. all the evidence piles on hitbox/speed advantage issues

there is snow in my beer

Agreed on both of those. The only big issues I can think of. It'd also make visors vision for example a hard counter against nyx. Oh and since I hate double tapping I'd like an option for Clutch to dodge in the direction your moving if you press the crouch button.

>Oh and since I hate double tapping I'd like an option for Clutch to dodge in the direction your moving if you press the crouch button.
OR they could make the dash a bindable key. i would much prefer that.

I doubt they'd want to add an extra keybind for only one hero.

>play QC
>turn on Unreal 1 ost

I would add that make plasmatrail do at least self damage. You are blocking path, I don't think you should be able walk trough it without damage, the slash still has ability to trigger the explosion at any time.
Remove scrubslayer. Either remove all damage from the direct orb or at remove the 8000 damage direct hit at least. 100 damage might be fine. Ranger is still played in duel because of the teleport, nobody banks on orb kills.
I want to complain something about clutch but not sure what. The shield is kind of OP but mostly because clutch can be aggressive with. If they would remove the clutch passive while the shield is up that might be fine, it would still be strong for defensive use.

I would also like to see teammates health while playing tdm/sacrifice. I think you should also be able to drop weapons in at least team modes.
Suicide button is also needed, I can understand why they don't want to add it but for organized team games it makes sense.

Why not give BJ and/or Galena a short-range dodge?

>enemy team starts losing
>all of them switch to Nyx or Slash
>they win

I'm trying to hold any hope that the hitbox changes would stop this wave of cancer, but we all know it'll never change. Nor do I believe they'll actually nerf their abilities in any serious capacity,

I wonder if that wouldn't be a slight buff to Clutch, direction+dash would be easier to manage than direction x2.

it's only one bind, though. it's not like they're cluttering up the options menu with a bind for every character.

would a slight buff to clutch really do any harm?

As a beep-boop fuck the fleshies player, no, just saying that making it easier to perform his dash would probably increase the speeds he can achieve.

agreed on all your points, but the clutch nerf. besides all your suggestions, i'd add that they should have a special outline for a teammate with quad or protection.

all of your shit opinions are shit and should be kept to yourself.

Agreed with plasma trail, it would add some Tron esque gameplay to slash.
I think shubslayer is fine, it takes skill to land and is pretty easy to dodge.
I somewhat agree with removing clutch passive when using shield, but also feel our barn boy needs as much help as he can get.

>Tim will never let you play a custom light cycle mode with zero cooldown Slash
>ywn have a custom dodgeball map with everyone shubslaying each other
>or choo choo races with Scalebearer or Clutch

Fuck this gay earth.

beep-boop fuck the fleshies on sacrifice lockbox, you know what I'm saying

it's just that you already have to be 2x the better player just performance well with clutch. i dont think we should be removing benefits from an already weak character.

The original complaint was from high level duel point of view. If you know how to play it you can fly through the map with shield on which might not happen often but if it happens it's "bullshit strong". Maybe removing the passive while the shield is up is too much but I think there should be something addressing the possible OP problem.
Then again they might rework how clutch moves anyways in near future maybe. Flying with incredible speed might not be what id wants from tank, then again I don't think they have said anything about it and it's not over used in tournaments so it's not something that needs immediate change.
It's kind of hard balance because clutch has so huge model any decent player can hit it with rail which kind of makes is "bad in general but strong with this one thing".

all of your shit opinions are shit and should be kept to yourself

>Here comes the succ
What did he mean by this?

this is jus theorycrafting.
From development point of view, while the game is in "early access" ID could have made it so they could test different kind of setups.
Starcraft2 did this. You could play normal ranked ladder but they added custom map that had the next coming change.
Custom games in QC could support these "testing maps" which could have variations from current game.
You are retarded if you thing the current game is perfect.

I'm not saying any of that. You just have shit opinions.

Nice arguments faggot

>120 ping anarki adad warps you with LG
>"so bad"

how many people do you think is left working on QC? 3? 4?

2 interns and one alcoholic senior who is about to kill himself

Why don't people chat and socialize in Q:C? back when I played Q2, Q3, TFC and even as recent as Tribes: Ascend there was a lot of amusing chatter and banter.

because its a shit game with no community and will be dead as soon as esports money dries up

no server circlejerk, and quakedads are too autistic to talk to people they dont know.

Explain that damage though.

I had some people add me as friend for duel and sacrifice games. Some people also shittalk a lot but thats more at night on weekends when they are bit drunk.

tv/p0gz_

tdm done by someone with clue how to play

Why is the community shit though? Even the moba community talk a lot, though it's typically just insults.

Tribes: Ascend is still the last game I played were people were both social and generally nice to each other. Felt like the VGS system really facilitated that.

But it's the quakedads that actually did socialized while gaming. Like my irl quake-playing dad who played q1/q2 a lot and was in clans and stuff.

I've been added for duel once too. It was nice.

People who play games now don't care for talk, all that matters is that they get their satisfaction. Take a look at mmos nowadays, any attempt at forcing socialization is screamed down by autists unwilling to do step outside their solo circle.

I just find it hard to chat while playing the game, whenever I try I end up getting fragged by sweaty tryhard anarki and Nyx's. That being said I'm socially inept and don't start a convo unless someone else does, I would like to see more people talk.

>that res
>that autistic overlay
>nyxshitter
>not even in english
no thank you

no reason not to watch Strenx atm

>last round, both on last champion
>no idea about item timings, have been running for 3 minutes
>head jump pad and steps
>shoot the orb at corner
>GG EZ
I bet you could power the whole Africa for moment from the MAD that guy was having

twitch
.tv/jotaku_tv

high level quake tdm

>high level
>tdm
dropped

it's private 3v3s

Now that's just dirty

cmon user. we're playing capture the bra

Maybe you're right user.

Guess I'm an old grandpa whining about kids these days despite just being 26. I remember when fragging someone with a chat icon above their head was considered bad manners.

It still is in xonotic

things that really annoy me
>getting shub slayer, but instead of dodging the rocket it lag kills me
>getting shub slayer, but somehow not teleporting (truly mysterious)
>getting into sacrifice only areas of a map somehow
>getting stuck in corners as Slash
>Rockets that would have been near direct hits at the feet doing only 1 damage to Anarki, Nyx, and Slash, yet it sends them flying
>getting hit with knockback that pushes me into terrain that would be impossible if the knockback wasn't being felt after I had gone around a corner
>2000+ ups through the tele as clutch, getting all the way to RL room, get hit with a rail by a 211 ping fuckhead and be warped back in front of tele where I die
>warping high ping Nyx killing me with two rockets fired at the same time
>Anarki, Nyx, Slash's ludicrious hitboxes .30692*584/9999999999999999999c 5

8/v/ has a xonotic general and they're generally much better than /arena/ at AFPS

Blame matchmaking.

HUH

>getting hit with knockback that pushes me into terrain that would be impossible if the knockback wasn't being felt after I had gone around a corner
Welcome to Quake: everything is clientside edition
Back when they game delayed your rocket by your latency and then it came alive on the server, that didn't happen. Couldn't happen

And that new thing, the champions system, doesn't matter because
>one champion can't stop being op
>the new shooter to rip off is PUBG not overwatch

>better than /arena/ at AFPS
That's not hard

HUH

I will hit you with seven armor shards for your insolence.

oh boy time to log in and see what daily challenges I have today!

What are your most dreaded challenges? Mine's first blood- it's not hard, just RNG, and if you don't get it you spend an entire match waiting for another change.

Airborne.

Getting a fucking mid air to register properly in this game is a fucking nightmare. I kill people mid air frequently and still dont get the medal.

So I alwasy reroll it. It's much easier to get a headshot, or a combo kill than a mid air.

getting this is the best

I know you guys don't like it but I really enjoy qc

headshot. total rng and you have to use rail or smg to get it

I would enjoy QC if Nyx and Anarki were removed and Slash was given the hitbox of Ranger. Everyone who plays those characters in DM/TDM is literally a baby.

Maybe I'm not a new player (I've played Q3 as a kid since 2001 but started for real with QL) but I think new player experience is abyssmal and inconsistent. And I'm not talking about tutorials or better matchmaking which are must-have right now anyway. I'm talking about passives described in menu - mostly movement ones. There is bunnyhopping, air control, crouchsliding, double-tap dodge... why there is no listed simply strafejumping for every champ capable of it? Clutch can't do that right now at all, on scalebearer and sorlag it's useless. It's not obvious for new player from the description how the hell character plays. And now to strafejumping itself. Sorlag should have it removed altogether and make her just bunnyhop (she still has Anarki's aircontrol and it's also somehow inconsistent but I would just list that as Anarki's passive). Idk for Scalebearer but it's redundant for him able to strafejump up to 480ups but being able to run on-foot 520ups - would remove SJ as well and make him increase speed faster on-foot. Totally haram rant but whatever - shit is just inconsistent af and definitely won't bring new players to the game.

the new player experience is absolutely trash in QC. It feels outright negligent. There are hundreds of things they could do to improve the experience.

is there a painkiller community?

I think things like having SJing kinda work on Sorlag is meant to be a help for people that don't want to go and learn how to do Quake 1 movement (or a simile of it) only to play one champion. You can still go a bit faster if you move with her as you would with anyone else, but far from optimally
I'd say the +forward accel on everyone is also an idea along these lines

I think +forward should be removed from all champions altogether (with exception of Scalebearer). I'll bring example from (infamous) League of Legends. There is guy named Zed - he's assassin and shit, but requires insane amount of dedication to pull something good with his skillset. But there is also another assassin, Master Yi which his gameplay denotes to Q->RMB. Both are capable of the same thing but they are vastly diffrent, and it does not hurt the game at all. id should pull off something similar with QC. There should be easier character (Scalebearer +forward, Sorlag bunnyhop/entry-aircontrol) character that require knowing some stuff (Anarki aircontrol, Ranger RJ/entry-SJ) and there should be characters which requires huge skill from you and knowledge of the character (Slash Crouchsliding, Visor SJ-infinitespeed). No easy paths. Just better descriptions, overall consistency and tutorials and then people will at least try to learn the game.

>spawn
>rocket already in flight direct hits
>spawn
>nails already in flight hit
>spawn
>lifted into the sky by LG

good game quakebabs

At /arena/ there is almost no one.

I agree that I wish people talked more, but I don't think it's the players themselves as much as matchmaking like and said
I find friendly jokesters all the time but i often have to say something first

tru keel players remember whether the last grenade they fired came out of the right or left shoulder

We need to find the Slipgate out of this place