/domg/ - Dominions General

Eternal Atlantian Edition

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.
The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 3000 units, 900 spells and 400 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.
It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.
Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/wjbSA98Y

>Drawfaggotry
dominionsdraws.imgur.com/

>DOMINIONS 5 IS OUT.

>Where do I get it?
Currently only available on Steam.
store.steampowered.com/app/722060/Dominions_5__Warriors_of_the_Faith/

>Manual
illwinter.com/dom5/dom5manual.pdf
illwinter.com/dom5/dom5tables.pdf

>Mod inspector
larzm42.github.io/dom5inspector/

>Multiplayer guide
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1212948582

>Debug mod
dropbox.com/s/gc9io6paebo4pj3/Debug_501.zip?dl=0

>How do I change the fonts?
Replace guifont.ttf, guifont_fancy.ttf and guifont_texty.ttf in the game's 'data' folder (C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Dominions5\data usually).

>Is there an easier way to play multiplayer?
Yes.
rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/dominions-4-pbem-manager-new-stuff.104015/
Works for Dominions 5 just as well.

>Completed games
Submit them here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeuclmaCiRo8vcTztsKjPJxnBgRDE-E1uNvE5j0x5wDZMMhRA/viewform
Results:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OxILAa3Y_O7Vk2NFhKAAQfStHqh1WJXMkGCim9sQ_ns/edit#gid=1292233344

>OP pastebin
Just copypaste it and link the previous thread below.
pastebin.com/RbFWcFcU

>Previous Pantokrator:

Other urls found in this thread:

dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Turn_resolution_sequence)?
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Any good tips on how to get that sweet early expansion going? Like even getting 12 provinces seems so tough is there a trick to people getting 15+ provinces?

Pick any nation with a good sacred and a strong bless, then you can just faceroll expansion. Leave big provinces and ones with unusual indies for later or until you can get multiple expansion parties attacking at once

Play elves or take a woke bae.

What's best to use varies greatly by nation and bless vs scales, can't think of many general tips beyond bid mercs with excess gold and put cheap shit in front to catch lances if going vs heavy cav.
What nation you using?

Depends entirely on what nation you play and what scales/bless you're using. Some nations can easily get 20+ provinces with the right bless, while others require some effort to even get to 12 without taking an awake expander for your pretender. And no matter what you do, sometimes you just get screwed by the map layout, what indie types there are near you, and in what direction your neighbours are expanding.

Is indie strength tied to the province's income/resources? I thought it was but I'm running into shit like a wasteland prov with 50-70 barbs

It's not, barring specific poptypes, thrones and sites.

Well, I'm about to get murdered in MP for the first time. Wish me luck.

In particular I guess my recent interest would be making the monkey nations work but the markata garbage you get does dick for damage even on the tiny chance they don't just run away.

Some province types have higher chance to have certain indies, like farm provinces have a higher chance to get cavalry for example. But apart from that (and thrones, of course), no.

Good luck.

TWO
GEMS

Monkeys troops are dick. I believe it's possible to expand decently with Kailasa/Lanka sacreds but you have to dedicate a fair amount of points towards the bless. I've had Bandar Log tiger riders shilled to me but I assume you'd need some quickness+blood surge meme to work them well.
Bandar Log/Patala have elephants, which could expand well if you knew what you were doing in Dom4, but I think the real time combat fucked them over some.

hostniggers pls look at this shit and stop delaying every game to appease an attention whore who intentionally joined new games he's going to immediately delay and probably trigger stales in

Tramplers are a lot better in dom5

lol butthurt janny

>Monkeys troops are dick.

What if they all got free beserk, or perhaps a lesser form of beserk? Except the white ones. It might even be very fitting to the lore of Lanka/Kailasa as the monkies become degenerate blood drinkers without the spiritual guidance of the white ones.

This was just a random idea I had when considering the monkies. I think the cheapness of their troops might be alright if you combine it with good buff and healing spells, but I haven't experimented with it yet.

stay mad autist

>he prefers fighting against AI/staling players rather than having to wait a little longer for his turns

Why not just stick to singleplayer, then?

I've never been impressed by the Naga. They have been buffed a bit since Dom3 with the addition of a Hypnosis attack that stuns enemies, but they just have so much base encumbrance and such mediocre stats that I can't imagine using them to expand with Patala.

>YetAnotherMAGame

Yeah no worries that isn't happening. I could give a single 24h extension if people ask for it but since he asked for almost 3 days of it I'll assume he's just fucking with us.

Also it seems that under Christmas Ashdod has been staling 5 times in a row and I didn't notice, will set him to AI tomorrow when I get on my desktop (doubt anyone wants to sub for a nation with 5 stales at turn ~13).

I'd rather sub people, or unstart the game and remove them if it's turn 1. If that isn't possible, then yeah I'd rather set people to AI.than give a week's worth of extension. If you join a game that will run over Christmas and can't play for 10 days during that time, why the join?

wat habben

got deleted apparently.

based janny
and yeah I'd rather fight an AI than go along with a faggot who's wasting everyone's time for fun, cunt

>since he asked for almost 3 days of it I'll assume he's just fucking with us.
Yeah because it's really hard to believe that people would be away from home for the holidays.

10 minutes away from turn hosting and i see it gets extended 10 minutes. Cute. Then 20 minutes later, turn about to come out and it gets extended 4 days. Super lame.

And kick the repeat stallers. I'm interested to see if Pangea can finish stomping the world like he's currently doing.

what do you expect from /domg/

How so?
And then he joins games that are on turn 1 the day before he leaves and asks that they be extended, too. Fuck him, aka you you samefag.

>joins game
>immediately asks for multi day extension

yeaaaa, he could have just not joined the game if he was gonna pull that shit

>asks for a 3 day extension on basically every single /domg/ game

And again, this game started shortly before Christmas, can't say he didn't know Christmas/NYE was coming up soon. If you know you need a long extension soon, you either don't join or you do what used to be standard: you find yourself a sub for that time period.

>what used to be standard
When the fuck was this?

Somewhere not on /domg/.

Back when Dom4 launched people sometimes even found themselves a sub when they knew they were going to chainstale instead of disappearing and having the admin do it. Dunno where that's gone but I haven't seen anything of the sort in the last year.

is fortitude, regen & blood surge + 3 magic resistance a good bless for EA altantia?

If you really want to rely on thugged-out Basalt Kings, I guess. Your regular sacreds are shit though and not worth taking a bless for.

I've been playing since before Dom4 launched and I've never seen it as a norm. In fact I think with discord it's actually more common now that people find subs.

Hi. I'm doing what suggested and setting the timer to 48h until 1st to give you normies more time to do normie stuff (but if you can send your turns earlier, please do). I'm not going to force you to wait 4 fucking days for a retard who didn't realize that New Year's is a thing, though.

Eh, it was a thing later on too. I remember Lambert's and lel's subbenings, for instance.

Tramplers keep trampling than just stopping and dying

They're also immune to awe, Medusa's petrification, vine shield effect etc. now. And Illfraud doesn't even know why (or if they actually want it to work this way).

Abysia staled for like 5 or 6 turns in a row, what should we do?
Also pelagia staled 2 turns in a row.

>spend days working out a good pretender for Ermor
>try out expansion in singleplayer
>immediately realize if I played this nation in multiplayer I'd be a fucking dick

Recommend me an MA nation that won't make me ashamed of myself.

You don't have to feel bad for playing Ermor, you just have to not be a whiny bitch if people gang up on you

Sometimes, a dick is just what a game needs to be interesting.

I mean, there are plenty of stories about games that revolve around MA Ermor being a dick somehow. How many stories are there about, say, MA Man?

But they get attacked by new units every step they do, and that didnt happen in dom4.

Also tramplers in dom4 could kill lots of enemy squares avoiding lot of damage before being hit once, and now they dont.

Trample was nerfed in 95% of the cases. However a thug or SC with trample can now let more enemies hit his vine shield to trap more people at once or strike people with a fire shield.

Basalt Kings can cast temper flesh pretty early on themselves. I think he's looking at the pillars.
Living pillars have several problems that pile up. I don't think anything in the game has naturally higher encumbrance. Even reinvig and blood surge can only do so much, and you have no natural access to relief.
They also have no helmets, and while their basic resistance is relatively high, a head shot can still kill them fairly easily, and their essentially non-existent defense means they'll be taking pretty much every attack they receive. Heads are less mushy with Fortitude, but again, Basalt Kings don't benefit much and you're dumping loads of points to plug one of several major holes.
They're also slow as fuck, one of the slowest units in the game, doomed to map move 1 and utterly incapable of catching any router.
They also have subhuman MR of 8, which makes them incredibly weak to astral anything, a bad spot to be in with EA R'lyeh in the pond.
On top of all this, their massive resource cost (matching heavy sacred cavalry) means you need production scales to produce a meaningful amount of them while your other desirable troops (other deep ones) have barely any equipment and are more often gated by rec points.
They're really just too fucking shit in too many areas to take advantage of their good ones. I don't know what Illmeme was thinking.

There is this guy who attacked me with MA Ermor and pillaged ALL my provinces up to 400 unrest, so even if i beat his army and pushed back my shit was dead and with hundreds of unrest.

gotta eliminate those spooky bois first thing every game, they always ruin shit

>Every MA and LA game is just "Muh Ermor" and "Muh Ermor 2.0"

Goddamn you, shillfraud

>doesn't even name his nations
Yeah, nah.

cant have spooky ghosts potentially ruining my blood economy

Is there any nation for whom a reanimator bless is worth it?

meant for

It procs with spells so its great on sacred magi, really good on killy sacreds too

Reanimator fomoria is probably fun

Imagine 10 nerds thunderstriking your stuff and raising undead where your guys die.

Yeah, but it's really expensive for a mage bless.

Something big and killy that benefits from filling space around it with something else to hit. Sacred cav, giants, maybe lancer flyers.
Those generally get a lot of us out of other blesses and reanimator probably isn't the objectively best use of points for 'em, but that's the best use you'll get out of it if you really want to use it.

Ermor and Lemuria are not a threat at all as long as people gang up on them early on. Even a single nation can usually wreck them on as long as you don't let them grow and summon more mages.

The problem with /domg/ is that cooperation against a common enemy is something everyone seems to be really awful at, so cancer nations are left alone too long and given the chance to snowball until it's too late. Which isn't just an issue with Ermor and Lemuria, because you can see the same thing almost every single time an obvious threat arises. /domg/ players would rather fight some insignificant neighbor than team up with him against the guy who just took his third capital, because they think that strong guy will just sit around and wait for them to grow strong enough to beat him 1 on 1.

No nation is a threat if people gang up on them early on.

That's true apart from maybe memeblessed elves, but that's not the point. The point is that people sit around twiddling their thumbs, allowing Ermor to become a threat, when they could just attack them with two or three neighbors soon after the after end of your expansion and remove the threat before it even starts. Combine your expansion armies with some (indie) priests and Ermor won't be able to do much to stop you since there's no way he'll have hit his research goals yet. Lemuria might be slightly more of an issue with its ethereal troops, but they're still not that dangerous especially if you took a Magic Weapon bless.

Ermor and Lemuria's main threat is in their mages, but if it's like turn 20 they won't be worth shit. And I guess Ermor also has their sacreds, but he simply won't have enough of those to matter early on.

>all my most strategic fort locations have dogshit population and give me fucking nothing for rec points
ILLFRAAAUD

So I noticed that Crystal Priestesses have a 55% chance of having magic, yet only take 1 commander point.

Out of the 12 I've recruited so far two have gotten both randoms, while only two have rolled no magic at all.

Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

How rich are you that you are willing to spend 115 gold on a 55% chance for a weak mage?

Requiring several people to gang up on them in a concerted effort to remove them (or maybe let 1 person do it without killing them in return) is still basically "muh ermor (2.0)", isn't it? They heavily distort, at minimum, all of their neighbors and their neighbors as well.

It's maddening.

They're reasonably cost effective researchers by Vanheim's standards, Astral, which they have a 50% chance to roll, is the best path to have a single point in, and the ones that don't roll magic can find use in blood saccing or banishspamming.

generally any nation neighbouring lemuria with sacreds + magic weapons is enough to give them a beating and cripple them.

This.

If you have magic weapons and you run into Lemuria early on, the best thing you can do is just rush straight towards them. They won't be able to stop you in almost all cases and you'll be able to take their delicious gems before they have a chance to shit up their lands and make them worthless.

>lemme just gamble ~two turns and ~200g per 7 research points on indies instead of recruiting a 140g vanherse with all the perks of being a bullshit pony elf
I'd recruit them while the fort was building until I broke into astral, that's it.

if you're catching them early you don't even need magic weapons (although it helps of course), your prophet set to banish will be enough to clear the field

What can you even do with a Vanherse, though? Lesser Air Ele or use them as slightly better but much more expensive Vans. Even Orb Lightning's A2 now. You won't thug them when you can thug Vanjarls instead. You'll pretty much bring them to battle only when you're desperate.

Now S1H1, on the other hand. You can use them as comslaves for each other or for Vanjarls/Vanadrotts. Spam Smite, Stellar Cascades or boosted Banish as needed. Get the pathboost you need to get that big spell out.

All in all the priestesses diversify my options a lot more than national mages - which I'm getting plenty of elsewhere - would.

Gonna make a new game soon: 16 hour turn timer, if you stale you get set AI next turn, if you are last to take your turn and don't do a double, you get set AI next turn.

Put a stop to all niggerdry. Exterminate all the brutes.

>10 turns the game

They are less than half the price of a Jarl and can cast mistform with storm power

you don't think we have 8 autists on /domg/ that are dedicated enough to properly play the game?

remids me of the NEETSonly game
wasn't in it so idk how well it did

no

how are you gonna determine if they are NEET or not

no need to determine, he can just set them AI the second they stale since then they will have demonstrated that they lack dedication

and if they never stale, well that's perfect, regardless of whether the label "neet" applies to them or not

You're going to bring somebody along to do Storm for your thugs?

Fine, get jarls. 200g/7 = 28.6g per research point, jarl's 285g/11 = 25.9g per research point, while 2A1B2H pony elf thug right out the gate.
If you want your RNG lv1 astral memes, go ahead, but they're seriously just memes. 1S comslaves are going to be pretty shitty comslaves for jarls and drotts.
I dunno where you're getting smite (lv3 holy) and boosted banish from, either, your priestesses are lv1.

>I dunno where you're getting smite (lv3 holy) and boosted banish from, either, your priestesses are lv1.

Unless it's changed for Dom5, Communion also boosts Holy.

Oh good, I'll join this just so I can win a game for once, even if it's by default

>if you are last to take your turn and don't do a double, you get set AI next turn.

why even bother enforcing this if the turn timer is 16 hours

no you wont, faget

ill be the one to winning that piece of shit game

hol up, tell me if I understand correctly
Could I prophetize an Angakok(H3), forge him a crystal matrix with a Forgiving Father, cast communion with 4 Fathers (not priests - does this matter?) and boost the Angakok to H5, cast Divine Channeling to boost all my Tungaliks to H2, then spam my water banish with its massive boost from +H levels? (25R, 6AoE, 2AN+1AP --> 30R, 9AoE, 3AN+4AP)

Do I understand it correctly that free spawning units from other units spawn in the "Magic items/monster" step of the turn resolution (dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Turn_resolution_sequence)?

Yes. Matrix items only work on mage priests though, at least in Dom4.

Aye, ye could do that.

use them in battle
sometimes you cant afford the jarl but still want to produce

Does anyone know if non-priest slaves will suffer from priest masters casting divine spells?

Fuck that fivefold nigger asking for a 4 day extension, i'll set him to AI
fuck holiday fags

>oh no a few days extension
>better make another staler/AI in my game

>gonna be gone for a week
>time to join 20 games!

This seems like a great time to repost that I need an extension until the 2nd

>Next turn due: 00:23 GMT on Tuesday January 2nd

there you go user.

>/domg/ has a personal janitor who likes playing against AI

That's hilarious.

>tfw you win a game because the only two people who actually were trying to stop you staled out and tons of other people went AI
It was one of the first MP games I joined but it still doesn't feel like much of an accomplishment

Thanks, but I don't think I'll be home that early, can you add another 12 hours?

Why is death allowed to be so overpowered?

>Can summon some of the strongest units in the game
>Can summon literal armies in battle w/ Enchantment spells
>Has extremely good magic items and easy boosters
>Powerful fright, decay, and shadow blast spells + strong buffs
>Undead command on top of all of this

Not even counting meme empires like Ermor and meme rituals like BoT; death magic is seriously OP in terms of how good it is. Other paths need more powerful spells to make up for this.