/ggg/ - Guilty Gear General

Good might 2017 Edition

Previous thread: Beginner's Guide: docs.zoho.com/writer/published/3s2nhd0dcc35f4f504b4f91707d369ee87b9f

Steam Group: steamcommunity.com/groups/guilty_gear

Make lobbies, have fun. When making a lobby, please mention region, platform, and how long you plan on keeping it open. And don't play on WiFi.

Other urls found in this thread:

keeponrock.in/#/?p1=Nakamura
drunkardshade.com/2017/05/09/guilty-bits-xrd-millia/
evernote.com/shard/s330/sh/93b769b1-06df-402d-8c5b-ee5c0e2a61d2/0c2d84da442ec265b58044ce6af02663
evernote.com/shard/s641/sh/85adce6b-2d57-4ed7-a3a2-139929416d1f/03e0dec1dac55237
youtube.com/watch?v=w0GIGyc7g8E
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgWNPJxQWo4EgEaiInzf2pV-gYnAFAyjK
youtube.com/watch?v=Dmk8s35eGGs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

1st for venom x2

Faust is my husband and I love him very very much!

is there a /ggg/ discord?

no

GGs ECPC, I'm done for the night.

GGs to everyone in the tourney, Rin, Doombot, Bob Reincarnated, Wallet, and everyone else.

Same old same, do well with Millia, lose once or twice and get frustrated. Rinse and repeat. I'd be lying if my resolve wasn't weakening but at the same time both my desire to play Millia and my inability to give up is keeping me in it. For the most part I think you guys are just too used to fighting me, as I tend to blitz through entire lobbies undefeated when practicing elsewhere.

Anyway thanks for stopping by for the tournament. Oh and somebody wanted pic related when I used it for the server icon in the Discord. I didn't forget you.

GGs and goodnight everyone.
No. I deleted it after the tourney. I'll make another one for the next tourney and delete that one when it's done too.

Eat your new years hamburgers Ram

giant toenail burger

why not keep one up? would be nice considering how slow the thread is sometimes

That's how you kill a general

This thread would probably die to death if any of its activity was moved to a different location. Discord has already dealt significant damage to Veeky Forums as a whole

And how slower do you think the thread will be if everyone just posts in a discord?

Don't fall for the discord meme. I've seen it happen to too many semi-decent generals.

Nah. I thought about it but really all that would do is make the general even slower and divide it even further by region.

Plus it's the absolute one thing I wanted to avoid since having the threads exiled on /v/ all the way back in July.

You must be new to generals if you seriously want a /ggg/ discord.

Oh yeah, also I'm uploading the recordings of the Top 4 right now. I'll post the link to anyone who might have missed the streams once I'm finished uploading.

>intend dash fafnir
>lol volcanic viper
epic

Best Wife

FUCK
host here net died
new lobby code is puck
for those who dare risk my internet shitting out again and want some more matches

>puck
i think thats the first time ive seen it be all letters not to mention an intelligible word

GGs

shitting dick nipples.jpg

ggs that was a lot of fun and some good laughs

How does someone fuck Undine while ignoring Dizzy?

what is katame?

that was great

and the room is now close GGs everyone especially the new sol user, got to try some characters I don't get to play often and had a lot of fun.

Please get out of my head. I was just thinking about wanting to see a Sol Dragon Installing, running straight up to opponent's face and unleashing a Tyrant Rave.

>friends tell me to get this game
>they've had it for quite a bit longer than I have
>say fuck it and grab it while it's on sale
>take a look at this general to make sure I know what I'm getting into
>"The community is extremely passionate about cultivating new players"
>sweet.jpg
>do the tutorials
>do advanced tutorials
>do combos and find 1 or 2 characters that are fun
>start playing my friends
>can hear them on their fightsticks over the mic
>get stomped over and over
>0-41 on the first day
>it's fun for the first few times but I'm not learning anything
>a man can only lose so many times before becoming frustrated
>ask for some pointers, ask them to tell me what I'm doing wrong
>"lol mad cuz bad"
>"lmao git gud faggot"
>"GIT GUD"
>cool
>ask a different buddy of mine that doesn't play with us
>"literally git gud"
>try some online
>get murdered over and over
>ask for tips
>"lol no fuck off"

Is everyone that plays Guilty Gear an insufferable cunt or have I just had the worst experience possible? I'm putting in the effort on my part to get better, I'm looking up combos and general strategies for the characters I play, and what to do against others, but I feel like I'm spinning my tires in the mud and not getting any traction.
I asked if I just chose low-tier characters and they told me that every character is viable. I find it hard to believe after switching over from Tekken but I only started playing about 5 days ago. I want to enjoy this game but I feel discouraged from playing it anymore just to be a punching bag.

Sorry about the blogpost

sounds like you have nice friends

>sweet.jpg
your friends sound like fags but so do you. you haven't really given us anything we can help you with either.

Consider finding better friends

i've had the opposite experience, in fact i've been blown away at the huge amount of resources and in-depth guides for this game compared to other fighting games i've learned, especially given how small the community for gg seems in comparison. seems like most people who play this game are pretty passionate about it.

find some more people to play with outside your friend circle, and yes, every character is viable, GGXRD has hands down the most balanced roster of characters in any current fighting game.

what character u using?

what the other guys said about your friends desu
and the ecpc is pretty nice to newcomers if you ask for tips
I used to get stomped by everybody in there and they gave me tips without even asking and switched to sub characters on the rare occasion

tell that to pot mains

tacking onto >but I feel discouraged from playing it anymore just to be a punching bag.
for this problem I just have to mention too that I got my shit handed to me for like the first 250 games before I started being able to put up a competent fight you just gotta chug through it my man and then there was a dizzy with 8 hours that came in a few days ago that gave me a run for my money by just having good fundamentals/playing safe and taking there guaranteed damage.

Have you ever played fighting games before? Or competitive games in general? You have to take the beating if you really want to improve. Just think of it like a friendly hazing.

Thanks for hosting for so long, I've been having trouble connecting to rooms so when i get in one and find someone i can I end up having alot of fun. thanks again!

no problem my man thankfully don't have to wake up early for anything so my lobbies usually end up lasting a long time.

Millia and Potemkin, they told me to try Chipp as well.
They usually play Faust, Ramlethal, Jam, Sin, and I-No

They aren't too bad when they aren't shitposting, but they never stop shitposting

I have, it's just a bit worrying that I'm doing so badly when I was decent/good at Tekken, SC, and SF. I thought that at least some skills would transfer over. I don't mind losses, but I mind losses where I don't learn anything.

> I mind losses where I don't learn anything.
record your matches and watch them back, even the losses

Make a lobby so we can bully you, user!

milla & chipp are harder to use effectively since they have low relative health against the cast & have little leeway when you mess up and eat a combo
to use pot effectively, you would have to get used to switching to defensive play on the fly and at least learn one consistent, high dmg combo
then there's the character specific matches that have some nuances you'd have to learn

>Millia and Potemkin, they told me to try Chipp as well.
Your friends are assholes.

play one character while you learn how gg is played

Is there anything specific I should be looking for when I watch them?

No, I've had enough bullying for the year, please

>they told me to play Chipp because he has lower health so they could win even faster
I'd say that I'd be surprised but I'm not.

I've been putting most of my time into Millia, I have a lot of fun playing her. I've at least learned that I'm supposed to use the pin a lot, and use 236H whenever I get a knockdown, but apart from that I'm still trying to figure everything out

have you given the rest of the cast a try?

I've tried out Baiken, Elphelt, Ram, Dizzy, Haehyun, May, Slayer, and Bedman

have any of them clicked with you?

>Is there anything specific I should be looking for when I watch them?
at this stage, and depending on who you play it might be: how did i lose neutral? did i throw out an unsafe move and get punished for it? could i have anti-aired? did i burst too early/late, whiff the burst?

as a beginner you want to get your guaranteed bnb damage. you won't be doing the flashiest combos because it takes time to learn gg, you won't be doing your juggle and screw equivalent combos the first week out.

>I've been putting most of my time into Millia
>but apart from that I'm still trying to figure everything out
It's great to figure things out but you really do need to watch high level footage to get an idea of how she's meant to be played.
keeponrock.in/#/?p1=Nakamura

The most important part is making sure you try to learn something from each match, watch your replays, don't get so down on yourself, and keep at it. I recommend trying to learn the game with one character before trying to handle multiple. The grass always seems greener and you'll never learn anything if you keep switching.

You can check out the Guilty Gear Crash Course on youtube to get a handle on how GG plays.

You can read up a bit on this article for some pointers.
drunkardshade.com/2017/05/09/guilty-bits-xrd-millia/

Lastly, watch some Millia players on keeponrock.in.

>I've at least learned that I'm supposed to use the pin a lot

That's actually not very true for Rev2 Millia. Pin is a very important resource since you need it for knockdowns from air combos (and her BnB goes into aircombo so you need it a lot). So use it sparingly, if you just throw it out and they camp it Millia loses a lot of power.

Super hot tip how to become a better Millia: learn your oki. Corner is super easy, you just do 6K\TK Bad Moon\2S\Iron Saviour as a mixup, convert. If they block, you have another shot, then they're out. Midscreen is more complicated, but as a general rule you should strive to set up disc through 2366H (gives you dash momentum) as close as possible to the opponent, discs that barely touch the guy are not very legit. From that you can do 2S\TK Moon\airdash crossup.

After that, just do whatever it takes to get knockdown in matches and go to town. Admittedly, that's the hard part, but once you have reward from those KDs, your life will become way easier.

>Corner is super easy, you just do 6K\TK Bad Moon\2S\Iron Saviour as a mixup

Obviously after setting up the disc in case it's not clear.

I wouldn't be playing Millia so much if she didn't click, shame about the health thing but what can you do

Alright, thanks for the advice. I've learned more from a single hour here than I have just slamming my head against the wall of other players. I'll keep at it as best i can and hopefully come back with some results.

Thanks a bunch

How do I IAD on a pad? I've been using 2147866 most of the time to get it, but it gets annoying when I play things like Jam or Dizzy and get TK Gekirin or Fish. I couldn't get it with just doing 8/966.

>2147866

Geez nigga what the fuck are you doing

> I couldn't get it with just doing 8/966.

Because the actual input is 956, it needs to go neutral a bit before pressing 6.

oh shit i think i have that guitar

Huh, no wonder why I wasn't able to consistently get IADs because I was just doing 96/76 like in Melty Blood.

it's 956, not 8/966, tk gekirin is 9563214 if you wanna do a quick roll

good luck millia user
remember to memorize your blender tactics

696 & 474 are what i do

evernote.com/shard/s330/sh/93b769b1-06df-402d-8c5b-ee5c0e2a61d2/0c2d84da442ec265b58044ce6af02663
evernote.com/shard/s641/sh/85adce6b-2d57-4ed7-a3a2-139929416d1f/03e0dec1dac55237

I wonder if it's awkward for Ky when he's trying to fuck Dizzy and those 2 won't stop staring at them.

I wonder if Undine lets him fuck her.

Who the fuck plays Dizzy?

I'm sorry I don't have a list of all their names.

Makki, Ruki and Kazuki and good Dizzy players that are easy enough to find videos of.

me

Dumb Dizzyfags

Dizzy is a dumb smelly whore.

What the hell?

Fuck this fucking spamming whore.

Oh I'll fuck her alright

Yes
My character > your character
What are you going to do about it?

She's keeping the thread alive though and she's one of the cutest characters.

>tfw need to delete and remake a character in an mmo due to dumb reasons and am starting to relate to bedmans magehound speech on uniqueness

But doing that is the exact opposite of what he meant. The idea is that the uniqueness comes from Ramlethal's perception of her doggo. He made one that was identical in every way but she knew that it wasn't the same right away.

Bedman was a massive cunt but he was absolutely right about what he said when it comes to "uniqueness". Granted he had to kill a girl's dog in front of her to make that point, so yeah, still a cunt.

I don't know man I guess it's probably just the thought of losing a character I dumped 45 hours into and it feels sorta weird that i'mmah need to delete it for the name and remaking it identical. And yeah no doubt fuck bedman but his talk with Axl where he chilled out a bit and just talked was pretty cool.

whew didn't realize Jack also streamed/uploaded his pov of the tourney to youtube youtube.com/watch?v=w0GIGyc7g8E heres the vid link for anybody else that was looking for that.

>I don't know man I guess it's probably just the thought of losing a character I dumped 45 hours into and it feels sorta weird that i'mmah need to delete it for the name and remaking it identical.
Oh I thought you were intentionally deleting your character because you didn't think he was unique enough. My mistake
>And yeah no doubt fuck bedman but his talk with Axl where he chilled out a bit and just talked was pretty cool.
I mean, Bedman was being used pretty damn hard and even Robo Ky pointed out that he felt immense pity for him because he never really had a choice as to how he could see the world for reasons beyond anyone's control. Fuck I can actually empathize with Bedman's motives for doing what he did.

At the same time, he definitely got what was coming to him in the end and nothing he did was justified. If anything that's what makes it a real tragedy.

I almost can't believe these stories, unless it's because of a rude player region, or the person asking for help comes off wrong and is just autistic or something.

When asking for help across years and different games quite a bit as a beginner, at the worst they say they are not completely sure so you gotta figure it out yourself, or they give me great tips or even add me to play more games later.

If there is a p4au player that remembers typing out what seemed like paragraphs of critisism and tips to a newbie Kanji player years back, your efforts were worth it.

Good timing. Also I have the recordings of the top 4 from last night's tourney uploaded. Here's the playlist if anyone's interested.
>youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgWNPJxQWo4EgEaiInzf2pV-gYnAFAyjK

>Oh I thought you were intentionally deleting your character because you didn't think he was unique enough.
Thats sorta funny because I usually try and go for the most fitting/genericish names/looks when it comes to these games, for whatever reason playing an outlandish character like you alway see in dark souls/M&B actually gets to me. My actual reasoning that I didn't bother to list was that I had to make a new account because square enix gipped me and wouldn't put the game on sale on steam and my trial account I played the character on was locked to steam due to there annoying account systems so I had to make a new square enix account to get around that. So yeah i'm effectively doing what bedman did with that dog and seeing rams perspective of it. I swear this would have never bothered me had I not seen that scene, bless GGs storytelling both for this and what you mentioned. Also realizing bedman had his eyes open and was awake during that final scene with arieals was rad

>The word account 4 times in one sentence
I guess I really didn't sleep and was just semi-awake in bed for 5 hours

Shit man, that's rough.
>I swear this would have never bothered me had I not seen that scene
GGs storytelling really is amazing considering it's in a genre that classically doesn't need story beyond character interaction. Even though Daisuke claims that nobody was really keeping track of it until around GG2, I have trouble believing that considering how cohesive it feels when you look at the older games with modern knowledge of the plot.

Kind of like how Sol's story changes entirely in Midnight Carnival now that it's confirmed that Dizzy is his daughter. Originally, Sol's inexplicable, and up until that point, uncharacteristic rush to protect Dizzy from I-No was ambiguous and generally accepted that it was because Dizzy reminded him of Aria and this was him subconsciously attempting to make up for his past mistakes.

Sol was a borderline villain protagonist before the ending to GGX. He spared Dizzy's life because he realized in that moment that she was his daughter which got him thinking as to how that is possible. Unfortunately he reached the conclusion that the only way this was possible is if Aria was turned into a Gear at some point which would suggest that she was Justice, whom he previously killed. Sol chilled out after GGX because he was scared shitless at this possibility, hence why his goal went from kill all gears, then get bloody vengeance to kill all gears, then beat some answers out of Asuka. Sol already had extreme guilt over not listening to Aria in the end and having a hand in creating the gears, the tipping point was realizing that he was not there to raise his daughter and not allowing himself to just come out and attempt to be a father for her because doing that would mean accepting that she *is* his daughter, meaning he killed Aria because she was Justice. Something that he was too afraid to face in any capacity.

For people who think Answer is cool y'all need to check this out youtube.com/watch?v=Dmk8s35eGGs that transistion at 1:05 is slick and the vid overall has got amazing style.

I'm always surprised when I hear stuff like that as well. Most fgc people I came in contact with over the years were really nice and helpful-

go away page 10

Should i get this if i only have a xbox one controller?

as a person who uses the analog stick on an xb1 controller I would say yeah its bretty gud

that's what I use senpai

Does anyone else use a ds4?

I assume a lot of people do. I play mostly on PC and use a ds3

Any tips on getting better at linking attacks in general? I've been waiting until my computer was repaired to finally get the game. I hopped into the tutorial remembering my stumbling around in the PS2-era Guilty Gear games and I struggled a little bit. Maybe it's just because my dexterity isn't as good as it used to be with the break from computer and fighting games in general, but I need some way to retrain myself. Any tips for someone new to Xrd?

combo would be a good way to practice timings, especially the dusts and advanced combos

I'd practice with a 3-4ms delay turned on to simulate online and help improve reflexes

That's a good idea, especially the thing about delay. I really need to work on my timing overall, so hopefully that will help.

I use a DS4 for almost everything on PC these days