>News
IVAN 0.51 released
github.com/Attnam/ivan/releases/tag/v051

RIP mutagenic chunks
Crawl tourney starts Jan 5
crawl.develz.org/wordpress/trunk-updates-and-0-21-tournament-release-info

New Sil fork out.
github.com/sil-quirk/sil-q/releases

ADOM r81 released for free, get it here (!!!includes star sign selection!!!)
adom.de/home/downloads.html

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

>Roguelike Servers:
roguenex.us/ (CDDA, angband, PCB)
angband.live/ (Angband and variants, including PCB)
hardfought.org/ (Nethack and variants, including slex)

Other urls found in this thread:

steamspy.com/app/259680
youtube.com/watch?v=22zj6M3DHm8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

i'm done with you guys.
can't even keep your own threads up.
gonna let /rlg/ perma die after this one.
it's been fun posting with you shitheads

Where'd you all go... :(

everyone migrated to r/roguelikes

Im staying here

Why do I love Caves of Qud so much?

I haven't had this much fun with a video game since dark souls

I think it's because it gets so much right. Good, interesting setting. Good, interesting character building, and (for a roguelike) deep and interesting combat.

Tournament clan when?

Are pistols viable in Qud? It seems like rifles are objectively better across the board.

I came here wondering the same thing only to find a dead thread. It was reasonably lively last tournament, so this is kind of a surprise.

Killed by an overdose of nasty traps.

Well the tourny hasn't started yet

rifles are generally stronger but at the same time the common advice is to not invest much in the rifle skill tree because it isn't terribly strong
it might be worth investing in the pistols tree if you get a pair of fancy artifact pistols, but they would have to be pretty good to outperform the guaranteed carbine you get from the golgotha quest, and before that point you probably don't have enough ammo or skill points to invest heavily in pistols anyways

Any good 3d or console roguelike? I want something with good production value but still a roguelike.

>console roguelike
look into Japanese Shiren/Mystery Dungeon games
fairly popular long-running series
though like most/all commercial roguelikes they tend to have notroguelike features as well
Often the way japanesse games do it is by letting nyou carry over some skills or items between runs in the normal mode, and then after you win unlocking a "true dungeon" or a higher difficulty option or something that turns it into a real no-progression-between-deaths roguelike.

PKMN mystery dungeon
Also, WHAT THE FUCK GUYS?

Which nethack variant is superior? I've never ascended in vanilla but I have gotten far enough to be killed by Rodney

why isnt the best roguelike in history released yet

>WLabyrithZ

>he can't tell the difference between w and ω

Hey guys, in CDDA is it possible to build something like a post or support column so I can build a shitty tin roof over my outdoor forge?

>Our game isn't that good
>Put in anime girls with big breasts so faggots by it to oogle over polygons
>Make back your budget on release

Does this mean that /rlg/ will get waifuposting too?

If it survives that long

You... uh... Could build a vehicle? Maybe? That's the best I got

Preemptive page 10 bump

Hi please keep posting in this thread guys you're my only friends and I don't want to lose you

You mean like a wall? I'm pretty sure walls work for what you want.

This thread is already dead. You're reading the bones file.

Please I miss you guys come back :(

sorry user i will post more rogue likes

It dawned on me today how obscure our genre is. For the first time I checked out how many subscribers the various subreddits dedicated to popular rls have and compared them to forum stats and it was a depressing feel.

I thought dcss alone had tens of thousands of players at any given time. I was wrong.

Are we dying as a genre /rlg/?

peak roguelike was two or three years ago
we're in an age of decline

Tangledeep will save /rlg/ by turning steam casuals into hardcore roguelike players
Just wait for it

There's a better chance of cogmind pulling that task off. The main problem I see is that roguelikes are the Veeky Forums of video games, more specifically they're the OSR which is already an extremely obscure genre in the ttrpg scene that is also going through a slight decline after a somewhat huge boom. Roguelikes and OSR are essentially the same playerbase and have massive overlap but the real problem arises when modern tabletop philosophy and design mimics modern video game design and there is less and less to drive either subculture into the classical roots. Converting the unaware into grognards isn't an easy task and generally things have to get very bad before the majority is willing to backpedal and reexamine.

>Voyage of Farland

Underrated game on Steam that's a good clone of the Shiren/Wanderer series. Anyone else play? It's like a dollar right now.

Just wait for the new version of Incursion user assuming it's still being worked on there's also triangle wizard that was a pretty cool one too

>tens of thousands of players at any given time
BAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What the fuck? There's probably 100 people playing online across all servers at any given time. Maybe another 50 playing offline.

It's a singleplayer game. What difference would it make anyway?

>tens of thousands
Naga, the servers are basically unplayable once they hit 30~ players.

I doubt there's more people playing online than offline.

steamspy.com/app/259680
tome has 150k players, 5k over the last two weeks, 200 peak yesterday

most dcss players are offline and never touch webtiles or the tavern or the reddit community

(just on steam obviously)

i don't think 250-500 concurrent crawl players is unreasonable, but definitely not 10k

this but unironically

It's my fault /rlg/
I've been playing notroguelikes
Please forgive me

same
but i will not ask for forgiveness, as i do not deserve it

youtube.com/watch?v=22zj6M3DHm8
>soon it will be 2011+7

me too

DELET

Sadly there's nothing that can be done about it. Nothing at all! We just need to do the best with what we've got.

This is fine.

Burn it, lad. Burn it all.

Good night /rlg/
Don't let page 10 bite

How the hell do I harvest in Caves of Qud.

I have the skill and it's turned on but nothing happens when I walk over trees?
I need that witchwood bark.

You have to harvest by going to the skills screen, or whatever it was. It's not a passive ability.

It says toggle to enable to disable the harvesting of plants. And I have it enabled? I don't understand

Good night, user.

Wait, what? This sounds weird. I'm only familiar with the free ASCII version of the game.

I have been drinking for two weeks straight now and you can't just stop posting on this thread.

Well it seems like it was part of the December change
>We simplified Harvestry and Butchery. They're now each a single power under the Cooking and Gathering trees
>Harvest Plants is now a toggleable passive power like Butcher Corpses.
>Plants, meat, and organs you harvest and butcher can now be preserved at campfires and turned into cooking ingredients
W
>We adjusted all the harvestable and butcherable item frequencies to account for these changes.
>Ripe plants now appear as a different color than their non-ripe counterparts.
>We added some new harvestable and butcherable items.

But I still don't get how it works.
I tried waited 200 turns then walking over a tree and that did nothing...

DAH
>Ripe plants now appear a different color
My brain didn't process that
I must be going over the wrong trees

Should Demigod be a little bit stronger? I feel like the lack of a god is a pretty malus.

What's your favorite build in DCSS?

crawldevs barely attempt to balance races except "if it's 2/3rds as good as minotaur it needs a nerf and if it's 2/3rds as bad as mummy it needs a buff"

why is brogue so good laddies

there are at least three races better than minotaur, arguably more

lava orcs and mountain dwarves don't count
nor do djinni

deep dwarf, centaur, troll

ghoul and hill orc are very slightly worse

spriggan if you have patience for that

We can survive this

Everything goes in cycles.

I expect to see the New Year in at home, alone, sober. Anyone recommend something with a strong role play feel so I can get immersed?

Qud

apparently it added campfires and cooking recently
I should play qud sometime. I haven't touched it since cybernetics were locked at the bottom of Bethesda and Glimmer didn't exist.

>alone

But you have us!

I want to torment TRJ. TORMENT!

That +2 Amulet of Reflection is really paying off.

/rlg/ is more active than my social life

What an elegant and tactical social life.

First time playng as a Abyssal Knight
What does this mean?

You can no longer corrupt the fabric of space.

Just because I was hungry?

How do I get better at Tales of Maj'Eyal? I always die when I'm at Dreadfell.

What classes do you play and what do you die to?

>Oh, it's the worm.
>(Chorus) The worm that walks!

On my last playthrough I died as a Thalore Berserker to The Master on Dreadfell. Should I play another class? Is archer as good as people say?

/r/roguelikes is a hole where half the threads are just "I'm a lazy fuck and won't use google, recommend me some roguelikes for my useless fucking tastes."

Except most of the time they don't even want to play roguelikes, just another fucking BoI knockoff.

Just play possessor :^)

Oozemancer is pretty fun

should tome players be forced to stream their runs to be considered legit /tome4/?

Should shit posters be forced to read their shit posts aloud in front of a group of their peers?

I like roguelikes. Don't let the general die

Maybe the crawl tourney will breathe some life into the place
r-right?

i would make a b-team, but we don't even have an a-team

Could anyone recommend a good youtube channel that reviews/explains different roguelikes? I'm pretty new to them, only have played Elona/Elona+ and IVAN.. different nethack variants.. I'd like something to listen to/watch when I am working.

dynahack, dnethack, fiqhack, and 3.6.1 are the only good nethack variants

Obviously,a lot of people are waiting for the tournament to start before playing again.

For most crawl gods (except elyvilon/ru/xom), piety decreases slowly over time. If you earn just barely enough piety to get over a threshhold and then wait for a long time without earning any more, you'll see yourself go back down a rank.

elona and ivan are not roguelikes