Historical Feels

What are some bits of history, or historical figures, that hit you right in the heart?

> Stonewall Jackson lost his first wife and baby in childbirth, and was so devastated he almost lived at their grave. Family members often had to go get him and literally drag him away - he said he just wanted to crawl inside with them. This severe depression went on for a very long time and when it became apparent Jackson was not getting over his loss, his father-in-law suggested he take a tour of Europe. Jackson had been planning to do so with his wife and child as soon as it got old enough and replied that such a thing was now out of the question. The old preacher told him he understood Jackson's loss - he'd lost his daughter and grandchild - but that it wouldn't dishonor them for Jackson to take a trip, get away from sad memories for awhile. So, Jackson rather reluctantly set off.

>He toured all the great cathedrals and churches, visited only one battlefield - Waterloo - and returned with a renewed belief in life being for the living. He also decided remarriage was no longer unthinkable, that in fact his deceased wife would want him to remarry. He didn't have much of a little black book but he remembered D.H. Hill's sister-in-law - she was a devout Christian, too - and abruptly appeared at Hill's house requesting to see Anna. She saw him and he promptly proposed. "Why, Major Jackson!" she spluttered. "I don't know you!" He persuaded her, though, and Hill put in several good words for him, and she agreed. He never took her for granted, or their surviving baby.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreyfus_affair
youtube.com/watch?v=ULBCuHIpNgU
youtube.com/watch?v=ldNSMnEeKio&t=3s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Teddy Roosevelt losing his mother and wife on the same day ranks pretty high in my books. His mother died of typhoid fever and his wife because of kidney failure... and she had just given birth to their daughter like two days earlier.

Pic related, it's his diary page for that day.

this is some fictional tier shit

feels bittersweet

Victoria losing her beloved husband Prince Albert.

Wore black for the rest of her life and continued to lay out clothes for him ;_;

Maximilian I. of Mexico always hits me in the feels
>Be second in succession of Habsburg throne
>Don't care much for it, be more of a liberal artsy kinda guy, built himself a few secluded romantic houses.
>Finds the love of his life and actually gets to marry her, something really unusual for royal weddings
>Habsburgs allying with France wants them to help get controll over Mexico
>Tell you to go and rule there
>You say no, unless the people of Mexico want you
>Get shown a forged document claiming they do
>You still don't really want you, but your brother and the other royals pressure you into doing so
>Go to Mexico with your wife to find the palast in desolate shape and your chances of winning bad.
>nobody in the new country likes you.
>Try to do a few things but make it even worse
>Try to call for help from Europe
>nobody wants to help you anymore.
>Get scared, get desperate.
>Write to you mother that you want to go home
>Answer: An emperor doesnt leave his people
>Ask you wife for you to leave
>Answer: But we are the emperors here, I'm the empress. Do you want to lose all this?
>Get captured
>Get killed
>Your wife goes insane and spends the rest of her life in dilusion thinking that she still is an empress
>All you wanted was a peaceful artsy life

Napoleon not winning

The greeks not being subdued by the Persians

The tale of those two generals during Gettysburg, Armistead and Hancock. They were close friends before the war, posted at the same fort in San Diego.

When the war broke out Armistead chose to join the confederate army and Hancock stayed with the Union. When they parted Armistead said to his friends, according to accounts: "Goodbye; you can never know what this has cost me"

They both served well and got promoted to high positions.

During the battle of Gettysburg Armistead fought in Longstreets corps and was part of Pickett's charge. Hancock on the other side, had received command of the Union centre during the first day of the battle and his forces bore the brunt of Longstreets assault. During the charge, Armistead was wounded while leading his troops. He was brought to a union hospital and died two days later. Hancock couldn't visit him although he expressed the will to do so because he had been wounded himself. A bullet had hit his saddle, punching a nail from the saddle into his thigh.

The old friends were not more than a 100 meter apart when they both were wounded.

They never mention the X but it's probably the most telling thing. He must have been trying to write something more and then just given up. the remaining words were all he could muster.

All these idiots in Hollywood shoving gay people into history where they don't belong, but they are too scared to make the Germans the "good" guys to actually have a good movie about someone who was gay.

Frederick "The Great" of Prussia

>Frederick was temporarily sent to his father's hunting lodge at Königs Wusterhausen in order "to repent of his sin". Around the same time, he became close friends with Hans Hermann von Katte.

>When he was 18, Frederick plotted to flee to England with Katte and other junior army officers. While the royal retinue was near Mannheim in the Electorate of the Palatinate, Robert Keith, Peter's brother, had an attack of conscience when the conspirators were preparing to escape and begged Frederick William for forgiveness on 5 August 1730; Frederick and Katte were subsequently arrested and imprisoned in Küstrin. Because they were army officers who had tried to flee Prussia for Great Britain, Frederick William leveled an accusation of treason against the pair. The king briefly threatened the crown prince with the death penalty, then considered forcing Frederick to renounce the succession in favour of his brother, Augustus William, although either option would have been difficult to justify to the Imperial Diet of the Holy Roman Empire. The king forced Frederick to watch the decapitation of his confidant Katte at Küstrin on 6 November, leaving the crown prince to faint right before the fatal blow was struck.

>Katte was beheaded at the fortress of Küstrin where the king forced Frederick to watch the execution. However when he was brought up to be executed, Frederick shouted in French to Katte, "Veuillez pardonner mon cher Katte, au nom de Dieu, pardonne-moi!" ("Please forgive, my dear Katte, in God's name, forgive me."). Katte called back in the same language, "There is nothing to forgive, I die for you with joy in my heart!" Frederick then fell to the floor in a dead faint. These were Katte's last words.

I read that she also had hot water brought in (so Alfred could shave)

I think the biggest feel for me is reading the letters of John and Abigail Adams.
>mfw I will never have a love as true, pure, tender or strong as John and Abigail Adams

That made me really sad actually, I never knew this happened

fuck

>He spoke only in Spanish and gave his executioners a portion of gold not to shoot him in the head so that his mother could see his face. His last words were, "I forgive everyone, and I ask everyone to forgive me. May my blood which is about to be shed, be for the good of the country. Viva Mexico, viva la independencia!"

The wheel of history is cruelest to those with good hearts and intentions.

>

>"Into tears, my father, that’s how I want to melt away, when thinking that this letter will cause the greatest grief to a faithful father's heart. That all the hopes for my future welfare and its comfort in old age has to disappear at once; that all applied effort and diligence for my upbringing to the maturity of the desired happiness even have been in vain; yes – that I will have to bow in the prime of my years without presenting to you in this world the fruits of my efforts and my achieved sciences. How didn't I think to ascend the world and make your conceived hope one satisfied; how didn't I think that I will not lack of happiness and well-being; how wasn't I occupied from the certainty of my reputation. But all in vain! How futile man's thoughts are: At once everything is falling apart; and how sadly is the scenery of my life coming to an end; and how is my current state distinguished from that with which my thoughts have gone; I must – instead of promenading the way of honor and reputation – walk the path of disgrace and a shameful death. [..] Get strong again my father, and believe me, God is with me in this game, without whose will nothing happens, not even a sparrow on the earth may fall! [...] Meanwhile, I thank you with filial respect for all the father loyalty shown to me, from my childhood to the present hour [...] Now nothing is left for me but to close with this consolation: Even though, my father, you haven't experienced anything high and distinguished from me in this world, oh! so please be assured that you will find even higher in heaven. Your faithful until death son. Hans Hermann"

>Upon witnessing his death, Frederick was plunged into deep despair for three days. After that, he never spoke of Katte again nor visited his grave as Katte's remains rest in the crypt of the church in Wust.

I'm presuming that when he became king, the snitch got what was coming to him.

I did a tour of the independence war and the civil war with my dad when I turned 18 (belgian mofo here) and of all the characters I met in the stories, stonewall was the only one that broke my heart... the guy was literally a good guy and not even just like "oh he's good deep in side'" he was literally just a good fucking bro...

Kids suffering always gets me. They usually have no idea what's going on

Been going on for some time too

Thread needs a couple of happy feels too

>Exasperated at the heroic defence of Welfs, Conrad III had resolved to destroy Weinsberg and imprison its defenders He however suspended the last assault, after negotiating a surrender which granted the women the right to leave with whatever they could carry on their shoulders. The women eschewed their possessions, and carried their husbands on their shoulders. When the king saw what was happening he laughed and accepted the women's clever trick, saying that a king should always stand by his word.

Constantine XI watching his city being overrun.

>The North African campaign between the German Africa Korps and the British 8th Army during World War 2 was often called "The Gentleman's War", for the unbelievable gallantry displayed by both sides. To demonstrate, a British soldier was critically wounded during the Battle of El Alamein. He was brought to a British field hospital, and found himself lying beside a German prisoner who had also been critically wounded. He reached out and squeezed the German soldier's hand. The German soldier squeezed back. He lost consciousness and woke up the next morning, and found that his German companion was gone. When he asked what happened to the man beside him, the doctor simply replied "He died during the night. You were still holding hands."

You and me both. I'm straight-up crying now; holy fuck.

Man, this one always gets me really badly. Wasn't she asked to draw a picture of home or something? I can't imagine how mentally fucked up she was.

This post makes me feel pretty sad desu

I would actually like to see a movie of this.

I think it would play to the whole "war is hell for both sides" theme.

The death of Louis Charles (son of Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI) always gets to me.

He was separated from his family after Louis XVI's death for "re-education." His "re-education" involved getting him drunk, abusing and punishing him whenever he acted "royally" or mentioned wanting to see his family and praising him when he acted "coarse"; for instance he was praised for swearing, drinking, and yelling out lines or songs about how great the Revolution was and how horrid his "bitch mother" was. He was eventually forced into accusing his mother and aunt of sexually abusing him.

He was eventually shut up in a room and ignored for more than a year. The months in this neglect contributed to extremely poor health. He ended up in poor health, covered in bug bites and rat bites, and psychologically fucked up from the almost 2 years of abuse.

Some months after Robespierre's fall, they finally started treated him like a human being, and his room was cleaned, he was given medicine and food, treated with kindness, and he was allowed to walk around the prison--including trips to the top of the tower for fresh air. But they hadn't told him that his mother died, and wouldn't give him any news about her. He would pass the door of her (former) room whenever he went for a walk at the top of the tower, and once picked flowers which were growing in one of the cracks outside and left them outside her doorway. However the years of emotional and physical abuse had shattered his health, and he died from a longstanding infection.

After his death, they found the half-finished words "Mama, I am sor--" written on the wall of his room. One of the men who attended to him after his conditions improved implied in a memoir that Charles thought his mother wouldn't come to him because she was mad at him.

He was 8 when he was separated from his family, and 10 when he died.

Hiroshima survivor, who was 10 years old at the time:

>I saw two burnt bodies, not too far away. I saw that one of the bodies had holes where the eyes should be and one gold tooth. My mother had one gold tooth. So I knew it was her. "Hurry I found her!" I yelled to my sister. My sister said, "I'm too scared!" I said "Come here now!" So my sister ran over. Together we looked at the body. We reached out and said "Mommy!" Before our eyes, the body crumbled into ashes. This happened 60 years ago but I'll never forget it. "Mommy!"

Her sister threw herself in front of a train shortly after the bombings.

From that same survivor

>One woman was carrying a baby. The baby had no head. I was so scared. The woman said give me water. I felt paralyzed, what could I do, I was 10 years old? I had to help my sister, so I left the woman to help my sister.

On my dad's side, my grandmother's oldest sister was married and had a child. The sister and her family was killed by a bombing were killed by an air raid when they were supposedly hiding in a bomb shelter.

On my mom's side, my grandfather's brothers were killed when the bridge their train was going over was blown up.

This all happened in Korea during the Korean War.

there's an apocryphal stalin quote after the death of his first wife, ekaterina svanidze

>"This creature softened my heart of stone. She’s died and with her have died my last warm feelings for humanity"

>He was eventually shut up in a room and ignored for more than a year.
Apparently ended up eating his shit

Ya the only book to give me feels was Gods and Generals when Stonewall dies. The man was loved by everyone and he lost so much. Also probably the best damn fighting General we had.

>That dark script X, looking as if he spent lots of time scratching away at it because he didn't know what the fuck to write

>The shaky handwriting, in his attempt to make it look nice it just looks more sad

> That lack of punctuation and subtle smudges on the page

Fuuuuuck

The Fall of Constantinople is one of the most depressing events in history
>that time when a Venetian ship risked their lives crossing the Bosphorus to bring supplies to Constantinople while being chased by the Turks
>when they arrived and Constantine IX came to greet them, he burst into tears because of their courage and determination to fullfill their objective

>On 7 October 1915, the Kingdom of Serbia was invaded by a combined German and Austro-Hungarian force. On 14 October, Kingdom of Bulgaria declared war on Serbia. With his troops vastly outnumbered and outgunned, Serbian Field Marshal Radomir Putnik ordered a full retreat of the Serbian military south and west through Allied Kingdom of Montenegro and into neutral Principality of Albania on 25 November 1915.
>The weather was terrible, the roads were poor and the army had to help the tens of thousands of civilians who were retreating along with soldiers and who had almost no supplies or food. But the bad weather and poor roads worked for the Serbians as well, as the Germans and Bulgarians could not advance past the Albanian mountains, and so the thousands of Serbians who were fleeing their homeland managed to evade capture. However, hundreds of thousands perished due to hunger, disease, thirst, hypothermia, and because of attacks by enemy forces and Albanian tribal bands.
>The circumstances of the retreat were disastrous, and all told, some 155,000 Serbians, mostly soldiers, reached the coast of the Adriatic Sea, and then embarked on Allied transport ships that carried them to various Greek islands (many to Corfu) before being sent to the Salonika Front.

Goddamn. I always hear about Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette, but never him.

It is rough, I'm all for defending your beliefs and your own family... but there are plenty of leaders out there who view children as nothing more than "my enemy fifteen years from now"

For example, I hate gypsies. I'd sooner bare knuckle box one than give him five bucks while pan handling. I'd never be angry at their kids though. I'd never do this to them either... takes real monsters

She was asked to draw her home yes. I think the thicker lines are meant to be fences and the inner square a barracks or the incinerators. The smudges she is making are the ash smoke plumes.

That's actually pretty good, thanks user. Have some quality Timothy Dexter

First tear I've shed in years.

Do you have a source for the writing on his wall?

>Child born in the concentration camps
Weren't children gassed on the spot ?

reminds me of my own drawings as kid desu

The Anglo and the Teuton are natural friends

Glad that had a happy ending. Christ it sounds like a perfect film.

Not really feelsie, but Han Dynasty's founder Emperor Liu Bang just waiting for a fucking break in his life like the unemployed but married 30something that he was hits my heart in a warm spot.
>Honey, baby, you gotta bear with me. I know Im gonna break. Anyway gonna get drunk with the guys, be home at night tho.

Turns out the kidnapping of his wife and him asking Xiang Yu for soldiers was that break.

As for feels I guess Zhu Yuanzhang's entire family getting wiped out by a famine and him having to bury all them himself in an empty clan village.

Joined a Monastery in grief, joined a Buddhist Rebellion versus the Yuan Dynasty, ended up as founder of the Ming Dynasty.

>Frederick then fell to the floor in a dead faint.

He fainted. What a fag.

>I wish you would come to Salona and see the cabbages I have planted. You would never again mention to me the name of empire.

That movie would have been so much better if they cut away the second half and expanded the first half with all the actual interesting stuff.

Whose worst, eternal Anglo, the French or Hans?

We're all pretty horrible sometimes.

But I've no anglo heritage, so they're the worst.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreyfus_affair

Fucking Amercans....

>Rape of Nankino
>Bataan death march
>Unit 731
To each its own.

>That historically inaccurate battle flag in the background.

Wow,Southerners really do love a 4-year treasonous rebellion to protect human trafficking more than they love their own country, and they aren't even fucking educated about it.

youtube.com/watch?v=ULBCuHIpNgU

>Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives…
You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours…
You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

has it occurred to you that southerners use what we regard as the confederate flag because it's the general symbol of the South, not because of it's association with slavery and the civil war, and that liberals have been trying to project the racist meaning onto it in order to discredit the Republican voting white southerners?

Which, incidentally, makes the liberals the uneducated ones.

>AH HAHAHA FAGGOT

>>That historically inaccurate battle flag in the background.
U whot? You include a video informing that the X shaped flag is a battleflag, what seems to be the problem. You just saw the chance to moralize this thread with your knowledge of the official southern standard right?

>Mort Künstler
>a Southerner
lol quality b8

I'm gonna be suuuper vague right now and ask for a screencap of a previous Veeky Forumsfeels thread: The screencap was about a misunderstood Byzantine emperor who was demonized by his succesor and forced to watch his family burn and after got his eyes cut out or something

Because i'm super vague i'm atleast gonna contribute myself

"'Ere, where's my fucking ring?"

In case you were interested, this is Jackie.

>Trusting Hapsburg with "documents"

sounds of austrian rubbing hands

sad

The documents were forged by Mexican nobility desperate for a monarch, and vouched for by the French emperor who was eager to get into Mexico. Leave Austria alone.

it doesnt affect me, death of family members dont affect me either, I thought I had some kind of mental illness for a while but I did cry about that dog waiting for his dead owner to return

Fuck.

I, and a lot of children in my class here in holland used to draw these

Oh thanks never knew

only thing about it that upsets me is the burning of the library. perhaps the most tragic event in history

Why would you pick the top left corner of a short-lived confederate battle flag as a "general symbol" for the south? Why does "The South" need a general symbol? When you say "The South" are you referring to states that were part of The Confederacy?

It seems pretty disingenuous to pretend you aren't referring to confederate history when using the top left corner of a confederate battle flag to represent solidarity among former confederate states.

Liberals aren't projecting racist meaning onto it. The people usually wearing it are either

1) Dixie apologists
2) People who take some kind of unarticulated and arbitrary pride in being "Southern" outside of or in addition to their equally arbitrary pride in being American.
3) People like Kanye West who want to "reclaim it" from "the racists."

Face it. You cannot divorce that flag from confederate history without mental gymnastics. The South seceded because it wanted to own people. Their rebellion lasted 4 years, and was put down.

Now you and others have spent the longer half of American history trying to pretend the flag has nothing to do with any of that.

>Mehmet, my son...

Take it to a new thread, don't shit this one up retard.

>>blah blah I'm asshurt about some flag cuz I don't like people on Veeky Forums being un-pc

Fuck off you weeping vagina.

Tell that to the guy who I'm responding to, as well.

Or are you for some reason more invested in me shutting up than him shutting up?

Did you make this post?

If you did you started the pointless and idiotic derail and you really should fuck off.

>those attempts at "fixing" their flag

how fucking horrifying

More like this please

You started the shitfest. You need to be the one to shut up and leave.

Fucking feels bad man

sounds like bullshit desu

I think it is Madame de Tourzel's memoirs, I'll go check.

>trusting mexicans with documents

Everything you said is bullshit based on an overly simplistic view of who you see as your enemy, like the north and south are sport teams.

You poor persecuted soul.

>Why does "The South" need a general symbol?

Why shouldn't it have a symbol?

Why do liberals always try to cut down heritage wherever it stands and attempt to justify blending regions in with the supposed "rest of the country/world" (in truth the US you thought you knew is rife with symbols. Why does Cascadia need a general symbol?)

in truth it's just shilling the same everyone should be forced into equality spiel you liberals have been shilling from the beginning

GUESS WHAT: People don't like being forced into equality. Enjoy losing elections.

I remember when I was a kid we read about a woman, I think she was a suffragette, whose 7 year-old daughter hit her head and died when she rushed to greet them.

The description and the drawings were so sad but I can't remember who she was

youtube.com/watch?v=ldNSMnEeKio&t=3s

The Belgians.

Trying so hard not to cry rn

My grandpas book on the tortures NKWD gave him. Though it is biased lol.

Gaayyyy!