/niohg/ - Nioh General

Dual Katana Edition

>What does each element do?
nioh.wiki.fextralife.com/Status Effects

>What should I do with the armor/weapons I don't want/use?
Check if you can donate any at the hidden teahouse for daily/clan rewards. Otherwise preferably disassemble them. You can also sell them to Tome or donate to Danjo at the Teahouse if you need a bit of extra glory or cash. Later on you'll be keeping them for Soul Matching, but don't worry about that until you get to NG+.

>The blacksmith is expensive, should I be using it?
You don't need to. Throughout WotSamurai and WotStrong you will constantly be finding better gear and builds don't matter so much. Soul Matching is expensive and intended for late game. If you do find a weapon you really like, try reforging it's effects using spirit iron, it's the cheapest and easiest way to improve a weapon.

>Why do people keep mentioning "smithing texts"?
Bosses tend to drop pieces of their armor and weapons when you defeat them. Very rarely they will drop a smithing text which allows you to forge their armor/weapon.

>Which clan should I join? (clan unlocked through progression)
Whichever one has a bonus that you think will benefit your build the most.

Beginner's guide:
pastebin.com/PkSN7nYt
FAQ:
pastebin.com/VEHby7kd

Smithing text list:
docs.google.com/document/d/1dCPVlyB7avz7yJPzST4_JBSsCTLPaZFm97QwDzTiiu8/edit#
Farming smithing texts: pastebin.com/tiYzLRug

Unique helmet list:
imgur.com/vr1oLWu

is it even worth exploring the levels in-depth? my last main mission was mission 7 and the area was absolute cancer. am i really missing out on any worthwhile items if i don't explore and just rush to the boss killing enemies on the way?

oh yeah here is the previous thread

Kodamas and locks

the fastest way to apply poison? i tried weapon and bombs but they all suck. Does trap do better?

goddamn

jesus crist i hate hayabusa so much

Oh hey someone made a new thread. Thanks OP.
Anyways new to Nioh can anyone give me few general tips?
I tried most of the weapons and like moveset of Odachi most since Top Stance has nice range and damage and Medium Stance has nice AoE to deal with groups.
Also Sacred Water, I bought a ninja skill that apparently allowed me to carry 2 of them, but they are not being refreshed on shrine?

What kind of tips do you want?
Odachi is fine but not great on highest difficulty. Use it if you like it.
Never used sacred water. Master the Flux and you won't need it too.
Also consumables refresh only after you exit to the map, ofc if you have enough in your storage

Which element should I master? I have few points for Onnyo? Magic.
As for consumables do they work like BB, where I'd have to farm and buy them? Even Elixirs?
There are difficulty settings in this game? Or do you mean NG+ and stuff?
Also the Onryuku or something boss, alot of times it was at red stamina bar yet he was still able to attack me. What's the point of bosses going out of ki? How can I punish them if they go out of ki?

Just finished WotN sans any DLC, is a 5/5(-1) with Izanagi/Amaterasu worth going for as a spirit build or would the 2x CCD + CTA Spirit A not be viable?

>beat The Queen's Eyes (recommended level 145) as level 120 spearfag
>farm the same mission up to level 135 character and level 140 gear and blacksmith-girl transformation
>still can't beat any of the last optional missions
Do I need to keep grinding? Or am I just stupid for not using ninjutsu and onmyo (beyond the occasional sloth tag)?

Honestly you're wasting time trying to grind for those. Everything in NG+ drops drastically more amrita than NG.

What kind of consumables are you talking about? You can buy them/get them just from mobs, no need to farm.
For elixirs you'll need to find kodamas in each region. If you have excessive amount of them, it will go into storage and will be refreshed on visiting the shrine.
The progression in this system is like in diablo. First difficulty is basically tutorial since it's piss easy.
If opponent has red stamina you can stagger him with your attacks.
DLC/doubleboss missions supposed to be hard as balls. Just come back to them later.

>Just come back to them later.
Are you saying that a level-160 NG+ mission is easier than a level-139 NG mission? I find that hard to believe.

what mission

Yes because while some mobs will be different in NG+ the early missions throw a lot more fodder mobs at you and the bosses are easier.

NG
>The Two Kings: Nioh
>Two bosses: Muneshige (raiken, sword, iai) and Tadakatsu (super-slow movement speed, spear)
>Recommended level 139

NG+
>The Man with the Guardian Spirit
>Literally the first mission in NG+
>Recommended level: 160

I legit don't even know names of most of them since I've only played it for 2-3 hours.
I killed Onryusomething then quit will continue later. The only consumables I've used are some bombs, and salt. I thought they'd be doing physical damage to Onis. Then re-read and twas Ki
I didn't know finding Kodamas increased my elixers, I guess exploring every nook payed off.
Anyways I've read that this is a grind heavy game, but honestly I don't mind. The melee combat even with Odachi has been fun for me, I can see myself easily getting 500+ hours on it.

level of mission doesn't mean jack shit. Look at amount of swords, it correlates with your gear.
have fun, it's a great game with great grind

Get a few points in onymo and unlock every elemental talisman so you can be flexible with choices. If strapped for points fire/water covers most weaknesses, electric can be useful. Carnage is a good talisman to pick up as well. Quick-change scrolls in ninjutsu are helpful.
Different bosses have different reactions to running out of ki. The majority of them will be staggered every time you hit their weak spot (horns on Oni mobs and bosses), weaker yokai will be staggered with every hit. A lot of yokai will make puddles that recharges their stamina and can't retaliate until they do so. Some enemies will just fall down and open themselves up for grappling/free shots. A few of the bosses will just not do certain moves when out of ki.
You do kind of farm elixirs like BB, you have your Kodama bonus to your base number then another 3 I believe that you can take from storage. You'll likely never farm elixirs though, so I wouldn't bother with it.

>still can't beat any of the last optional missions
You'd think people would actually use the "Yokai Realm" option in the Torii Gate for the challenge missions, since there are no shrines to summon visitors from. But nope. I'm getting people just going through the campaign or some overleveled faggots doing low level missions with a companion for absolute no fucking reason.

>Get a few points in onymo and unlock every elemental talisman
For what purpose, when you can just use the widely available common consumable talismans?
If you're not speccing hard into Magic I don't think the elemental talismans are a good use of those few onmyo skill points you get. Better spend them on support skills like buffs/debuffs/healing.

just fuck my shit up. can some weapons only have low scaling on them?

forgot pic

What's the best DPS rotation for Odachi? Do I just spam Moonlit Snow?

no that's just bad roll

They just didn't show up in this roll.
>no divine umbracite
Shit, nigga, what are you doing?

strange, ive only ever seen A before

Haven't been keeping up,did the PC version bring anything fun into the table?
stuff like being able to play as bosses with cheat engine,hidden test areas,cut content and shit?

depends on the difficulty. On wise and nioh you go low/mid and spam attacks/combos. On other you just use whatever the fuck you want

I don't think you understood my question.

I don't think you understood his answer

Mission level doesn't mean your personal level or item level, it means the level of the monsters. The DLC missions on WotH are lvl 1220 and the maximum level you can get in the game is 750.

get max familiarity , whetstones are very common. Easier to see what rolls you are getting.

neat, thanks

so far only annoying cheaters in hidden teahouse with 40mil glory, nothing more

What does Tachibana say in Japanese at the start of the fight?

"traps are not gay"

why this general always dies so fast

he's a man of refined tastes

abyss floors shouldnt be locked behind ng+ cycles

I've never got further than the second (island? Map) and it never quite spoke to me. One reason was that finding all kodama didn't seem worth the effort. I expected a pat on the back or something. Also, I keep just playing it like Dark Souls albeit with a ki pulse; cannot get the hang of stances. It just seems like sticking with mid basically all the time and making use of parry is the way to go. Mainly use the kusarigama. How do I get into the habit of mixing it up? Do I need to bother?

what the fuck are you trying to say

>One reason was that finding all kodama didn't seem worth the effort.
Those extra elixirs can be pretty useful. Also, finding kodamas is a lot less annoying if you have an armor piece (helmet or accessory) or a guardian spirit with Kodama Sense.

>Also, I keep just playing it like Dark Souls albeit with a ki pulse; cannot get the hang of stances. It just seems like sticking with mid basically all the time and making use of parry is the way to go.
Just run outside the hitboxes instead of trying to play Dark Souls by spot-dodging everything.

>Mainly use the kusarigama.
Spears > everything else. The mid-stance strong attack (long poke) and dash attack (quick swipe to your front-left) make cheesing summoned phantoms for glory and equipment dead-easy.

Interesting you say so. I naturally gravitated toward kusarigama, katana and greataxes/ hammers. I like great weapons in Souls but they're not really the same thing. The kusarigama just seemed amazing right out of the gate in terms of parry, range and number of hits. The katana just seemed like a really balanced weapon that was good for parries. Spear didn't seem all that, honestly. what did I miss?

>Mainly use the kusarigama. How do I get into the habit of mixing it up?
Well you picked a horrendous starting weapon for one thing.
Try grabbing an Odachi then force yourself to do low stance dodge, swap to high stance in the dodge, 2x high quick, back in to low stance to dodge again etc.
Forcing yourself to swap around for a bit builds muscle memory, then you'll be able to do it comfortably later. Odachi is the weapon which benefits the most from stance swapping and pulses early game, and teaches you to flux.

Reminder that Katanas are balanced.

Ok, this is just the kind of advice I needed. I'll git gud with odachi, try to lock in some good habits, then switch. The kusarigama just seemed head and shoulders above the others though; like borderline broken in how good it was.

Fighting humanoids in Nioh involves learning a bunch of humanoid specific rules, if you don't understand how to fight them yet then parry or kusa pull probably seem like tempting options.
The most annoying part is obviously bouncing off their block, this just means if you were used to chaining lights against other mobs you're not going to be able to do it in the same way vs humans. If you switch to using high stance you won't bounce and can continue pressuring the block until you break Ki.
Odachi is very good at this, high stance Quicks with any of the followups will break human Ki fast, then you can figure out some damaging option once you trigger a Ki break. This saves you stopping to try and parry every human, so you can go in aggressively.

Low and mid stance swings will bounce against guard with most weapons other than Odachi/axe. High stance will never bounce. Skills don't bounce. Some skills do large Ki damage if they're blocked so linking into a Ki damage skill when you know the human will block your next swing is good.

On a first playthrough where should I be putting points in terms of nindo or onmyoji or any of that? Should I use it at all?

that's pretty nasty user

Against most enemies I tend to try and drive down their stamina using kicks and so on, then only go in to do damage when I can crit. Is this a good or bad idea?

The game kind of wants you to level both up to at least 20 by the end of your playthrough, because missions and passives like extra Elixirs are locked behind 10/15/20 point markers.

How are the DLC bosses? I've finished the main game, but killing the same enemies over and over again for the entire game has killed my desire to play the DLC.

DLC has different enemies user.
Bosses are almost all humanoids but the DLC fights are better in general.

the hardest in the game

That works fine against humanoids depending on the weapon you're using. Katana kick is one of the weakest Ki breaking options though if that's what you meant.

There are missions tied to them? I suppose I need to be prioritising the passives then? I can imagine things like buffs are nice to have and not too intrusive. Unless something like bombs or shuriken are really worthwhile for some reason?

Good to know. What's a better way to get the stamina down? Particularly with odachi I guess since I think that's what I'm going to try starting over with. It doesn't tend just to be humanoids though; on larger enemies and bosses too I try to chew through stamina before wailing on them.

Onmyo support magic is overpowered, Ninjutsu bombs aren't that big of a deal but the tree has free extra life scrolls in it which are a no-brainer.
You'll get decent use out of the basic, lowest tier bomb early in the game because it deals a good chunk of fire damage. You're going to encounter mobs with strong physical defense which are weak to fire.
The missions are locked behind a certain number of points in the stat and the region you're in. It's something like 10 points + 2nd region, 15 + 3rd, 20 + 4th. They aren't mandatory so you don't need to rush those stats first.

Odachi hilt shove does high Ki damage but you don't need to use it, just do high stance Quicks or mid stance Strongs into one of the follow up combo options and you'll break Ki.

I feel as if I'm getting progressively worse at this every single time I switch weapon type
>use axe
>change stance and use ki pulse all the time to dodge and actually get attacks in
>change to spear
>only really use low and mid stance, ki pulse sometimes
>change to kusarigama
mainly just spam square, sometimes use other abilities
>change to 2kat
>literally just spam square in low stance

>How are the DLC bosses?
"Gee whiz, how come your mom lets you have TWO guardian spirits?"

Ok, cool. What's OP about the support magic? Should I avoid using, say, water or earth blade buffs?

Sounds like you're just out pacing the game's power progression which is easy to do. If spamming low quick with 2kat is sufficient for you to kill stuff quickly then your damage is above the progress curve. Skip some optional missions and try going further ahead.

Stacking buffs and debuffs eventually trivializes stuff, Weakness talisman is very strong, Sloth is very strong early, skills like gale apply elemental effects fast and stacking 2 elemental effects makes any Yokai free, etc.
If you don't want to ruin anything you can just stick to weapon buffs and rejuve for healing.

Should I go heavy armour set along with the requisite points or should I stay light? I know in some games it's not really worth the investment to use big guy armour. Are dual katanas good? Not used them or odachi before. Would those two pair well?

>Sir Anjin, you've defeated us in past, but surely if we band together we can overcome you this time.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
STOP THIS

Depends on your weapon preference. If you use Axe/Odachi then investing into Stamina also means you're getting some secondary damage scaling for your weapon. Plus you can reforge/soul match armor for weight reduction.
B agility with heavy armor is very much possible.

Hmmm. It sounds like you're saying that there's something of a STR/ DEX delineation. Thus, if I went with axe and odachi then the investment would be worthwhile. However if I used a str weapon and a dex weapon I might be spreading myself too thin.

I'm 113 and on the first level of the dragon of the north DLC. What level should I be at this point?

Well, yeah, one weapon will definitely be less optimized. But on the other hand if you equip two weapons of the same kind, you'll like never bother using one of them.
Actually, I think there was no weapons with the same scaling until the DLCs.

I personally find Odachi+Kat pairing very nice. They both share Strength and Heart scaling.

Do you really cut namahages to death with your 2kat low stance spam? How long does it take?

I worry that if katana and kusarigama I will just use them. So would you say the axe and odachi are too similar to bother using both?

Gear has a larger impact than your level. If you've minmaxed some high level loot from a twilight mission or revenant then you can punch way above your weight. Or you might just be lazy enough to be killing stuff with low quick even when it takes 4-5 full chains to kill Yokai, idk.

Generally if I'm fighting any type of Yokai, I will use an element, then just switch to another and then stunlock them. I carry around 4 of each element, so I rarely run out. I also got an A+ spirit scaling dual kat from the end of the main game, so that is probably helping

What's a good way to do stamina damage without much if any real damage? Like the kick but better. Ideally heavy weapons.

I don't get how to mess around with my gear to make it better at all. The whole thing is way confusing. All the blacksmith stuff leaves me bamboozled.

ask Tome

I tried. Still too confusing. I am two intelligent for this gam

ok well, you don't need to bother with it until you finish the game at least once

I had an alt at queens eyes near that level so I ran it into the DLC as a reference for you.
This guy is 115 with lv150 purp 2kats that have decent stats on, might be some encouragement to stop using low quick.
In all fairness though I feel my damage is constantly over the curve any time I make the slightest effort to optimize gear, even when skipping most optional missions.

Oh yea and the accessories there are luck and drop rate, not Yokai damage.

Soul Matching is used to either increase the level of your gear or move an inheritable stat from one piece to another. The first piece of equipment you select will be upgraded, the 2nd piece will be consumed.
Your piece being upgraded will move to the level of the consumed gear if it's a higher level, this gets rapidly more expensive the further you upgrade so you can't keep upgrading one piece.
Inheritable stats are the stats with a []>[] icon to their left, if the consumed item has an inheritable stat AND max familiarity then you can move the stat to other gear. This only works if it doesn't clash with a similar stat already on the other gear.

Reforging randomly rerolls the stats on your gear, it's a lotto. Tempering uses materials from Twilight missions or higher level stuff to let you select a stat from a random shortlist.