/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Continue Playing edition

Previous thread
PLEASE NOTE: Dwarf Fortress has just received an update. If you play the newest version (44.03), be prepared for plentiful bugs and crashes. Do not complain about your bugs and crashes here, report them here: bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.44.03.
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist:
github.com/Dwarf-Therapist/Dwarf-Therapist/releases

>DFHack (Alpha for 44.03, expect bugs):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164123
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Legends Viewer:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154617.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11455

>Starter Pack (Out of date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Quickstart_guide
pastebin.com/vKagx7ED
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Cheating
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for striking the earth

2nd for graphical tileset users are subhuman

3rd for literally why use default when you can slightly modify it and make it way better

4th for 0.44.05 being out

Post your slightly modified default tileset bls

Tried to make a well by tunneling water from the nearby river under my hospital and accidentally flooded my entire fort. How do I prevent my dwarves from drowning in the future?

ELV! ha ha!

What do you like to change in the init files? Do you disable anything in the raws? How about advanced worldgen?

hot...

>init
Turn sound off, grafix, hide engravings, make macro instructions have no delay stop [More] in adventure mode
>worldgen
Significantly increase x & y variance, increase good & evil squares, increase mega/semimegabeasts & titans, make caves visible, decrease maximum cave water coverage
Also make most announcements that recenter not do that because that's fucking annoying when it's something stupid like a caged animal reverting to semi-wild

Don't accidently flood your entire fort. Only do it on purpose.

What do i need to do in order to remove "Cave adaptation" feature from the game? I tried looking into the raws, but couldn't find much.

Hi, i'm new! And i have a question

can i just make plump helmets forever and ever, without ever worrying about any other kind of crop?

to an extent yes, but your dwarves get grumpy if there's no variation in their booze.

Page 10 is all around me.

What is a good way to learn how to play?

I tried with Getting started and got lost.
I planted something entirely different than what it suggested cause for whatever reason I couldn't and the trading hub(?) never was built.
I think I got through winter without anyone dying.

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Quickstart_guide
You probably didn't enable architecture on anyone. Remember if you q over an unconstructed building it'll say what labor is required.

The Dwarf that had Architecture was up a level cutting down trees or something.

Last time I played DF was in 2011, and after trying out Rimworld and being disappointed on how basic of a game it is, I've been thinking about getting back into dorfs. Is there a decent looking titleset for the latest version yet?

Yes.

I see you guys are still as pointlessly hostile as back then. I don't know what I expected coming here. Whatever.

Wow you sound like a bitch

Oh come on user, its not hard to find them, and a "yes" is hardly hostile. If you want recommendations all you'll get is "don't use tiles" Just go to the utilities page on Bay12, browse around and see what you like. Personally my favorite was Obsdian but it hasn't been updated in years afaik

>get a reply
>immediately angry and insulted

You should honestly stay away from Veeky Forums if a slightly sarcastic response is what you consider "pointlessly hostile".

So sorry no one immediately spoonfed you by making a purely aesthetic judgement for an anonymous stranger on the internet. Next time post your facebook, linkedin, and grindr so we can properly evaluate your personal opinions and tell you what they are.

Noob here, what can i do if i put up stairs instead of down stairs? How can i delete them?

nvm i solved the problem

Because Bay 12 is an ultra-polite hugbox. Mw has plenty of fanboys who will jump on your ass for criticizing it, despite the majority of it not being M*ph's actual work.

There's plenty of people in the community who started playing DF with mw and haven't played anything else - not the base unmodded game and not other mods.

>make inflammatory post denouncing the game
>"y r u so mean to me guise"

doesn't literally every journalist that writes about DF recommend that players start with every thinkable starter pack/mastershit with extra everything, because only the most hardcore autist would even touch the original game?

>meph
and I thought krauts were supposed to be good at engineering

Reminded me of this.

i cant get a kobold civ to generate
i have non mountain caves enabled in world gen

Hi im new! I cant read, and i certainly don't know how to use the wiki, or even a basic search engine. I use an ugly graphical tileset and can't even play without training wheels like lazy newb pack, but I still feel welcome to post retarded questions. Someone hold my hand and spoonfeed me.

Basically, yeah - I don't know if there's a proper name for it, but it creates this "myth" of the DF learning curve being massive because of the way the game looks, when, desu, having it look supposedly more "readable", the main issue is getting used to the controls and how stuff works - tilesets wont help with that.

While I understand ascii being eye-bleeding for some people (my only personal issue is stuff with dark blue tiles, hard to tell apart on a black background - suppose I could change it, but I don't know how), its still better to get used to it or atleast use stuff like Taffer's set, since its much more readable to the majority of the playerbase than a tileset - most of which look fucking ugly as well, Meph's included (see the last thread).

>init
curses_square_16x16.png
>raws
I fuck up my raws. Everything from making new civs to adding the [DIVE_HUNTS_VERMIN] token to the different owl species.
>advanced worldgen
Depends on what race I'm playing as. For Dwarves I'll go extreme elevation variance, no ocean, lots of forest, lots of z levels, spacious caverns, no cliff erosion, and lots of civilizations and a ridiculous amount of beasts and I'll go to like year six or so.

gib world params pls

already know erosion cycle fiddling can generate some p cool worlds, anyone got any other tricks up their sleeves?

Not the best I've had these settings at but this'll produce a shitload of comfy cliffs

pastebin.com/vKagx7ED

thanks, it'll serve me well

Bow down before your rightful Overlords knave sand bring forth the tributes.

>make inflammatory post denouncing the game
point me to where he was denouncing the game please

>init
Population cap to 50 and visitor cap at 20. autosave seasonal+save on load+backups. Coffins no pets, engravings hidden, and water flow amounts shown.
>raws
Havent fucked with raws at all.
>AWG
disable Werebeasts and necromancers

What a horrible design for a wagon. Those wheels wont be able to turn (you want your small wheels in front.) The stuff on the back will get rained on. And the canvas is laughable.
t. Oregon California trail autist

someone please respond

Finally defeated the FB occupying the first cave now i only got to figure out a clever way to get rid of the Dorf Steak House wandering above ground.

I make my dwarves extra fertile and make them start work at age 5. I also make kobolds give birth to live young.

See
Also
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Cheating
>Open creature_standard.txt
>Find dwarven (or other creature) stats, which ought to resemble the sets below.
>Delete those stats and replace with the new set.
>Done.
>Removing the [CAVE_ADAPT] tag will eliminate cave adaptation.
L2google

making exotic weapons craftable by yourself- cheating or not? i know it's a single player game, i know nobody cares for that discussion. i'm just interested in what you personally think. dagger/ whip dwarf squads are alot of fun

>find a nice comfy place to embark
>"prepare for the journey carefully"
>"no plump helmet spawn available"

PANIC

use doors, many doors

I just embarked on a sinister area and i've managed to haul all the goodies inside my fort.
I've set up a farming spot and a couple of workshops, but i'm not sure how i'm going to gather wood and deal with caravans

any tips?
or maybe a Let's Play of someone doing an evil surrounding, that would be fun to watch.

How do i get rid of fire breathing Titans easily, ive managed to trap it in a corridor and its isolated but i really want it dead without further casualties?.

i made this
edited raws for rough stone and tree branches

cave in if you wanna be a faggot

invent some use for it instead

I use taffer.

Its proven its worth at killing other titans and invaders and i do have goblin neighbors so i guess i could just unleash it on them and lure it back into its pit with another Kobold.

So i guess ill do that then.

Because it's super annoying to maintain, check for compatibility with the raws every version, etc. all for a small change.

I really wish there was a separate "user raws" folder which contains only entries that are different from the default and overwrite just that on runtime.
So you wouldn't have to modify and maintain the raws all the time.

If your tileset changes one tile, you have a small text file with just one entry and no matter how much the raws change, you wouldn't have to do anything.

are you the guy constantly posting indignated replies in here while barely skimming the posts you're replying to?

sure my man, what do you need? i've known the game for a long time and i love talking about it, even just basic simple stuff. i'll even rehash the same concepts over and over again, and when i'm not doing that i'm still so into this game that i read every post in this general even though there's barely anything new. it'd be a small effort for me to alleviate my boredom by answering some questions in a concise manner, so how can i help? i have time

how do i dorf?

Keep on trying, my boy.
If you have trees, be sure you have a herbalist that can stock up on gathered fruit, make booze from that on repeat, it'll last you through your first winter no problem.

>pastebin.com/vKagx7ED
I honestly don't see why not, I mean I GUESS Whips are kinda OP to an extent but that's more of a problem with the base game

NOT SURE HOW THAT PASTEBIN GOT IN THERE LOL

There isn't anything wrong with editing the raws how you see fit. If you think Dwarves should be able to wield two-handed swords since they are stronger than humans who can wield them, make it so. I need muh masks, capes, and flails for example.

Oh, I don't actually have issues with the game itself since I've been playing and modding it for 3+ years now, was just addressing the "difficulty cliff" myth that is still perpetuated. Imo anyway its definitely not that bad.

You can fix whips relatively easily. Their main issue is they have ludicrous velocity (around 5000) while also having size 1 contact area. Lowering the velocity and increasing the contact area would make them a lot less OP.

>was just addressing the "difficulty cliff" myth that is still perpetuated.
Something about the game is difficult because out of the ten or so people I've seen try the game after they get curious from me playing it not a single one has stuck with it for more than a few hours.

Start with 2 picks, axe and no anvil ...
Or anvil, 3 cooper bars and 3 charcoal?

start with two chunks of malachite, wuss

So, how's this new major patch? Game still crashing and what not?

bump

Spicy

Some things have been added. If you're interested in those things, it's great - although they're obviously still rough around the edges.

Some crashes have been fixed, some new ones have been introduced. As before, crashes are rare unless you use TWBT in adventure mode.

The 2 minor bugfix releases fixed the worst crashes that have been reported since the major release.

An anvil, a piece of coke/charcoal, one rock chunk of bituminous coal and a rock chunk of limonite
Just remember to bring a fire-safe material to make the smelter and forge out of. I usually go with gabbro.

why copper bars when ore is so much cheaper

you could bring enough ore for a bronze industry to fully arm and armor a dwarf instead of bringing picks and axes

I'm lazy and I'd rather wait for lnp with the new version, but you raise my hopes.

Not him but I usually use stone crafts for trade at first and the time spent fuddling over making tools for my dwarves is better spent mining instantly and procuring materials for my crafters.

anyone got a basic guide for forming a semi reliable militia? i know the mechanics of forming squads etc but any good ways of raising skills etc

well obviously it depends on what you want to do, but he was obviously going for an embark point minmax situation, in which case bringing ore is the best choice

I don't really understand the point of minmaxing embark, especially considering you can just give yourself any amount of embark points. I don't think it's really possible, anyway, since there are a variety of situations that can come up and things to take into account such as resources that are difficult to get ahold of without bringing with you. I just use embark to get rolling. Usually a few picks, an axe, a weapon, an anvil and maybe food/booze if I'm playing a race that needs to eat.

I would assume you just make higher level dorfs militia commanders and have them teach the newbies. Or I guess you could just toss squads into pits for a while and keep the survivors as your Honor Guard

>I don't really understand the point of minmaxing embark, especially considering you can just give yourself any amount of embark points.
Well you can just not play the game either. There are no goals, so you make your own.

>I don't think it's really possible, anyway, since there are a variety of situations that can come up and things to take into account such as resources that are difficult to get ahold of without bringing with you.
Of course it's possible. Meeting all conceivable situations as efficiently as possible is the entire point of it.

Instead of bringing copper picks and axes, you could spend those points on copper and tin ores along with some coal, and end up with enough bronze to arm and armor all your dwarves with equipment made by a skilled dwarf out of a good material.

foucault died of AIDS so who won in the end?

Foucault died of too much gay sex while Chomsky got to become Chomsky

I think we know who won

Yeah but you could mine, burn and smelt your way into that same situation with a few picks in about the same amount of time on almost any map and procure more abundant, varied, and specified resources faster, for a variety of labors including armoring if you wanted it. By mining and cutting instantly depending on the map you could happen into iron and silver right away and have better options than bronze. I'd feel kind of silly showing up to a site with a bronze industry in my wagon and there's a vein of hematite and a vein of tetrahedrite streaked across a cliff. Rather just have the picks and grab me some iron armor and silver maces. Barely even a loss in production time if you bring a coal industry or have access to one immediately(such as a forest or wetland), but you might procure significantly more value faster just having the tools ready to go. It's hard to consider yourself min/maxed when another build can have more trade value procured than you at the first caravan, and that's just one scenario. Pointless anyway since the default 1500 points can abundantly cover tools, a metal industry, food, and some doodads that you don't even need, not to mention that number being able to be changed to anything.

Also you won't be happy when you show embark on a river next to three giant alligators and you brought rocks instead of weapons. How "min/maxed".

Post forts
Ha, noob.

You're trying too hard, user.

you need to get Kobold Kamp mod or edit Raws for kobold civ

>if my embark is perfect then my preparations for an imperfect embark will have been wasted
Well no shit, user. You can say that about literally preparations. Watch:
>if I get two miners in the first migrant wave the points I spent on picks will have been wasted
>if I get a grandmaster armorer migrant then the armorer I brought will be useless
>if I have a lot of edible and brewable plants on the surface then I could've not brought plants or seeds
>if I can catch tigers right away I won't need dogs
See how that works?

Yeah that's what I'm saying. The game is too dynamic to min/max an embark properly.

Beautiful.

>[sub]

I'm sure it's often talked about

But how the fuck can I avoid having 20-30 migrants in pretty much every wave when they can start coming in such numbers?

Should I set a lower population cap? But would that just mean I get one/two/three huge waves?

Or is there something regarding world gen/embark location that I can alter to get fewer migrants?

I'm not even minmaxing value of produced goods, it's not like it's a ridiculous level of wealth my fortress is producing.

>mfw you remember that you edited all the creature raws to include the [PET] & [WAR_TRAINABLE] tags

Now I have to do it again for the new version right?

I'm actually really sorry.

user what are you even doing

Has anyone has success with rescuing prisoners of war from the goblin towers?

every time I send out my squad they return empty handed