/domg/ - Dominions General

Best Girl Edition

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.
The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 3000 units, 900 spells and 400 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.
It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.
Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/wjbSA98Y

>Drawfaggotry
dominionsdraws.imgur.com/

>DOMINIONS 5 IS OUT.

>Where do I get it?
Currently only available on Steam.
store.steampowered.com/app/722060/Dominions_5__Warriors_of_the_Faith/

>Manual
illwinter.com/dom5/dom5manual.pdf
illwinter.com/dom5/dom5tables.pdf

>Mod inspector
larzm42.github.io/dom5inspector/

>Multiplayer guide
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1212948582

>Debug mod
dropbox.com/s/gc9io6paebo4pj3/Debug_501.zip?dl=0

>How do I change the fonts?
Replace guifont.ttf, guifont_fancy.ttf and guifont_texty.ttf in the game's 'data' folder (C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Dominions5\data usually).

>Is there an easier way to play multiplayer?
Yes.
rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/dominions-4-pbem-manager-new-stuff.104015/
Works for Dominions 5 just as well.

>Completed games
Submit them here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeuclmaCiRo8vcTztsKjPJxnBgRDE-E1uNvE5j0x5wDZMMhRA/viewform
Results:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OxILAa3Y_O7Vk2NFhKAAQfStHqh1WJXMkGCim9sQ_ns/edit#gid=1292233344

>OP pastebin
Just copypaste it and link the previous thread below.
pastebin.com/RbFWcFcU

>Previous Pantokrator:

Damage? Regen does not prevent damage, but it does give 75% roll on ignoring a wound, like a wound fend amulet.

More like Ant Girl Edition

I would've taken regen bless a lot more often if I knew this, assuming it's true

I think it worked like this in Dom 4 at least, but I didn't think it was as strong as Wound Fend.

Pls list best area damage spells for each school of magic.
Why do people call Falling Frost shit? Damage isn't piercing and somewhat low but AoE is so big you're gonna win some rolls even vs high prot.
it says so in regen's description m8

I want to have sex with a werewolf.

fire storm :^)

>not Chad Skinshifter
bears>virgin dogs

>Damage isn't piercing and somewhat low but AoE is so big you're gonna win some rolls even vs high prot.
In theory yes, but every time I've used it it ends up doing basically jack.

Are there no decent water AoEs, then? My high level mages are exclusive elemental spammers?

Liquify has a small AoE I think but it's in alt and high path

There's a reason the "just spam water eles" meme exists though

I am talking about how damage is enemy hurting the unit, in other words, wounding it and trying to cause enough damage to the body until the unit dies.

So let's talk about these guys. The big "Titan" style pretenders.

What's their actual use in game? They don't have the same magic/bless potential as mages and obviously can't cast spells as well, they can't be played like awake beast expansion pretenders because they don't have enough combat strength, and they can't be played like monument pretenders who just focus on scales and blesses since they're so expensive and their cost for new magic paths so high.

So what gives? The only use I can think of for them is late game SC chassis since they have full equipment slots.

Personally: I think they need to give these guys something really good as a hook. Maybe give each one a few bonus bless points, make them the defacto "bless" strategy pretender chasis- since they have the second highest dominion of all the types and have a high cost to get new magic paths, but typically start with a few closely tied with their character I think it would fit well thematically. What do you think?

I just got off from a long plane flight and will just miss the turn, any chance for a 20 minute extension?

Mostly they just need to be cheaper, and maybe bring back the 1 Awe at 9 dom/3 Awe at 10 dom thing. Before the big pretender rebalance in dom 4 Titans were used a lot more.

Also if you want an SC you can make one out of a Titan by the second year with 4 Const and a few levels of Alt or Ench for buffs, it's not a late game thing.

Well you can get their paths high enough to cast some sweet rituals. Paths higher than 4 are extremely rare for most of recruitable mages.

Niefel Flames :^)

I made good use of Cleansing Water against devilspamming Mari in Dom4.

Cleansing Water is the one great bit of direct water damage I can find. AN irresistible and scales everything; range, AoE and damage. Incredible for both demons and spooks who usually rely on high MR to resist banishment.

Do you think we'll get any new popkill nations eventually?

Hopefully not since Illwinter has yet to balance one. They're either so strong they need rushing down or so miserable they're pretty much ignored.

Early Mongol/Timurid style nation with generals that get slaves (or maybe bloodslaves). more gold, and slaughters huge amounts of pops when pillaging pls

sometimes they are pretty strong SCs in mid-late game, sometimes they are the cheapest chassises to access certain magic paths

Alright just restarted game after the 24h wait period. Graphs are set to off this time so hopefully I fixed it correctly.

gibe central asia turksmell nomad nation

the centralasian/eastasian pastoral nomads can easily fit into same nation i would say, though they kinda overlap with sauromatia a bit

Doesn't T'ienC'hi already have a mounted archer like the Mongols?

Yeah, in LA when they got conquered by them.
Shouldnt there be something that conquered them?
or was it the indie horsebrothers

their LA state is Yuan China (Mongol ruled China)

disappointingly there is no Warring Kingdoms China nor a pre Yuan Mongol group (or post like a Tamerlane nation)

wewlad

Is there any way to script a commander to cast a spell you'll have access to next turn?

Looking for a sub for a pbem on steam. Helheim, turn 29, ok position afaik

>13+35
jesus christ

>1 in 7776 roll

My approximation is that the roll, both sides considered, is somewhere around 1 in 100k.

At least 5 explosions means (1/6)^5 and then 10 on top of that brings it down somewhat. The queen rolling 3 or less is 1/12.

>Pls list best area damage spells for each school of magic.
It depends.

Water's best area damage would definitely be Niefel Flames, but I strongly suspect you don't have Evo9 and a bunch of W4 mages to throw around.

>Why do people call Falling Frost shit? Damage isn't piercing and somewhat low but AoE is so big you're gonna win some rolls even vs high prot.
High protection neuters it. Some rolls will get through, but W3 mages are pretty expensive. To justify having them evospam you need a lot more than just "might eventually kill a few armored troops"

Against a 16 protection unit, Falling Frost will do (17+DRN)-(16+DRN) to 15 units (assuming human), which is something like 2 damage on average. Multiplied by the number of targets, around 30 damage.

Compare it to Falling Fires (which is already not considered particularly amazing).

Against the same 16 protection humans, Falling Fires does (15+DRN)-(8+DRN) to 9 units, for an average of around 7 damage per target and around 63 total damage per cast.

Falling Frost gets even worse if enemies have better protection, and people usually go for troops with the best protection they can get.

Unscripted and pray.
They love summoning elementals and skeletons.
In one case i was getting flaming arrows and needed it for a fight, so I left my fire mage unscripted with lots of gems and he did cast flaming arrows before summoning elementals, which won me the battle.

Oh, and Falling Fires can be cast by a cheapo F2 mage because of Phoenix Power.

So the guy casting Falling Fires gets 2x as many casts as well.

To be fair you only need W2 to get out Niefel Flames or spam Falling Frost. 3 gems for a water bracelet is cheap enough to equip a number of mages with, and bracelet+robe+extra gem isn't a horrible investment to get something as big as Niefel Flames out.

I thought of a build combo a while ago but i got drunk before i could test it.

There is an item or spell ive been looking for for like an hour that respawns you when you die, can anyone clue me in?

Phoenix Pyre. But you'll get afflicted to death from it anyway.

Crystal heart, and there was a FN elixir but i dont remeber the name or if it was summod only.

Thanks G

It's not 1 in 100k
a requirement for the enemy to roll 3 or less is 1/2 or 2x to the odds for 1 in 15552

it might be something like 35 in 250k if you go full on into the roll tree for it knowing the exact HP of the vamp queen but that's straightup work

Are there any generic summonable unrest reducers or items that grant some amount of it to a commander or anything? I have a low-pop Amazon province with a goddamned Brigand Lair that I'd like to be using to supplement my cap-only sacreds. Patrolling that shit will never end and will kill the province right quick, but the unrest is hurting recruitment as well.

>5-10 pop/turn
>kill the province
2 growth scales will completely counteract it, 3 will give miniscule increase in pop

Oh, I think I see where your mistake is. DRN is 2d6 exploding, not 1d6 exploding.

If it were 1d6 then the odds of rolling 3 or less would be 1/2, but when rolling 2d6 the odds of rolling 3 or less is 1/12.

It's got 2k population. 0.6% of that is 10 pop a turn. And it's at 50 unrest at the moment. So yes, patrolling will probably kill it.

No

No, but you get a point of unrest reduction per 10 PD.

Dammit. Already at 10 PD, and I've better things to be spending gold on than 20. Ah well. Guess I'll just have to upgrade the fort for more recruitment points until the pop's built up to a point where it can survive patrolling indefinitely.

There's something about friendly candles reducing unrest as well, right? I know hostile increases it. Does that scale with number of friendly candles?

I think friendly dominion (any amount) is +1 unrest reduction. Each order scale is +1 reduction as well.

>Murdering Winter has been limited to once per turn per target province
At least it now hits "most" of the army rather than "at most half", at least according to manual.

Lion Sentinels (Ench 7, E5, only at fort, province enchantment) increases order scale by 1.

RESTART IT

Brigands are only -5/turn, patrol it to 0 and you'll still be 1900-1950 and going neutral or slightly pop gains from patrols.

actually finding out DRN is 2d6 exploding kinda puts a damper on it
yeah it could be 6 rolls of 6 knowing that instead of 5, but it could also be two batches of exploding dice up to a combo of 2-4 before simultaneous non-6 rolls, it's much less exciting than rolling 6 5 times consecutively on 1d6 exploding

odds are it was two separate explosions that went dud at different points even

Aha. That should help a fair bit. Thanks. I'm a ways out from Enchantment 7 yet, but it's easy enough to put on the list.

Guess its time to get innovative

Why do none of your stupid bastards go through and set low-connection provinces as nostart after you've generated a random map?

I want to believe.png

Well, the "At least five explosions" just means that the initial dice went to explode a total of at least five times in some combination. There's only six such combinations, so you get (1/6)^5 * 6 = (1/6)^4. Then you have both dice open needing them to produce 10 more, the odds of which are roughly 1/6 (actually slightly more).

So you get a final chance of about (1/6)^5 for a roll of 35 or more, and the chance for a roll os 3 or less is 1/12. Putting this all together gives a hit at least that good odds of 1 in roughly 90k or so.

From memory, the admin did but said they might have missed some.
Though I dunno why Man didn't say this on turn 1

for a roll of 35 against 3 specifically it's 1 in 2,519,424 then
only 3 outcomes on the attacker side can result in 35 exactly and they put the odds at the 1 in 209,952

course there's a reason why we handwave the last two rolls, they're not the part that's unlikely to happen. We're not looking for a specific roll from the last two dice, just lethal damage from exploding, which was what I was trying to convey originally

how does awe scale? is it just + to the roll per point?

Yep. Which is why adding Fear to an Awe unit is way more efficient than stacking more Awe up.

I wanna see an Awe memebless on EA Ur/LA Pythium at some point in the future

Prolly not a bad idea on Fomoria either, but that's playing the long-game on summoning Morrigans

Could also mean it's actually worthwhile to take Death 10 for a fear bless as Kailasa or LA Pangaea too

Hydra are actually pretty fucking good these days, but LA Pythium is still not great.

What does it mean if a mage´s spell order appears gray instead of white?

Again and im testing something, but is there any limit on permanent afflictions..

Like could someone gain so many afflictions the game removes them?

Ive got something really cool going on in a test game.

Phoenix pire with medallion of vengeance, honestly I cant tell if blood vengeance does any additional damage because on a single unit the medallion does sooooo much more damage.

+13 extra reinvig, I could do more but this is a hasty test.

Had Berserk from an item so routing was not an issue.

So they don't die due to fatigue and they should theoretically respawn, but my rest bud just died when getting an affliction on top of his numerous preceding ones.

If it helps it was EA abysias hero that shape changes, I wonder if the shape change affected something?

AFAIK he should not have died, had 13 fat, should have respawned and continued to slaughter.

Also apparently, which i didn't know and was interesting, berserk remains with the unit when they shape change, as I suppose all status effects do?

Why did die?

the only thing I can gather after watching the replay many times is that after like 7 afflictions he went over some invisible limit and got insta killed?

Had HP too, the thing is, when I look at the detailed battle report, he got a hit for 3 hp, 10 left, and got removed from the game for no discernable reason.

There's a chance of losing your head, which is instadeath for things that need heads to live (not lifeless or undead stuff)

Did lose his head..... but he didn't have it when when the battle started?

He did have a recup bless though...

I cant go back and see if he didnt have a head at the start of the turn though.

When the battle started he didnt have a head... so... whaaaat....

Also he went a few turns in his original form without a head, but when he transformed, with flying, he shot up in the air, landed, got hit once for minimal damage and was removed from the game.

GrimDarkness Hinnom, I swear to God, stop sending 4 different messages that you could easily fit in 1 message, it makes for a pretty convincing argument to completely wipe you out

How would WK China differ from MA TC?

>still no banefire based nation

>What is LA C'tis?

LA C'tis and EA Ermor can banefire pretty good

I know they banefire pretty good anons, but I mean a nation thematically based on banefire. Like Abysia but with banefire instead of fire.

The three TCs are arranged more along the lines of themes within Chinese history/mythology rather than any discrete periods. MA is about the celestial order / bureaucracy while EA is more about wushu and demon fighting while LA is about barbarian rule, but these three things are not tied to specific areas of Chinese history. The Mongols weren't the only 'barbarians' to rule China, just as almost every era in Chinese history had an extensive bureaucracy for its time.

Again, LA C'tis.

There should be a Caelum spin-off nation that focuses on banefire, since they're the ones that corrupted the purifying flame in the first place and created banefire.

It might have been that he removed provinces with fewer than 3 starts. I've found that Dominions sometimes crashes as you are creating the game if you're overeager with removing starts, although removing starts with fewer than 4 connections might have been the better choice.

Hinnom I hope you get raped by a pack of feral niggers.

Rude

>nobody says anything before starting even though they saw what they were joining and had hours to complain
>as soon as the game starts the map is shit, the starts are shit, the settings are shit, the map is broken, the mods are shit

Not that admin but this happens literally every time unless you play one of the 4-5 most common maps and only WH as mod.

I'm pretty sure it was discussed before game start and he tried to make sure there were three connections.

Based on that message and a look at the map though I think Man has four connections but one is temp gated. Probably why they only mention it on Turn 2 after propheting and realizing they can't go somewhere.

*more than three

Why can't you colour your commanders to make groups easily distinguishable at the army setup or province overview screen?

Is the technology not here yet?

AFAIK Man never posted about this in the general or anywhere else. Sending ingame messages is slow and clumsy, so it's not the best way to complain about stuff like this. Maybe I should just start running my games through the Steam group to make communication easier.

Anyway, does anyone else want a restart? Because Man's not even explicitly asking for a restart, just griping about his position. I'm tempted to just let the game roll as-is unless someone explicitly tells me to fix the map and restart the game.

I did do that, but it's entirely possible I've missed some provinces. The map we're using was kind of a last-minute thing because the original map was meant for more players than we ended up getting.

Give Ragha a banefire national spell or two then.
Ragha being birds/abyssians that follow a cult of a corrupted sacred flame would be more interesting than just being political refugees who bound themselves together for security.

Nah, it's fine. I actually have 3 cap connections too with a lot of rivers nearby, but I have cold dominion so it should be fine.

Apparently I need an Agartha sub as well. Turn 42, two stales. Reasonable position, but fairly clearly having been played by a new player.

two consecutive stales?
I'll get in /v/anheim chat for the answer, but what era?

bane?

LA. And yeah, last two turns.

Hot off the presses. They were right that I was marginally bigger than them, but income was not much different, fort was actually smaller, I spent a lot of time ss so of course gem income was better also a prov with 10+ gem income helps, Yomi has it now just to let you know..., Rus has the highest research, Fomoria has the biggest army. There gg.

Map was a placeholder. Admin changed it right before starting the game.

Nothing we could have done about it. There should have been more complains in turn 1 rather than waiting until turn 2, but the map is definitely not the best one I´ve ever seen.

>"Fomoria is so much bigger than me why is everyone ganging up on me?"
>everyone knows you're lying because it's clear you're the biggest player in the game
>"please stop Fomoria he's the biggest stop attacking me or Fomoria wins!"
>posts conclusive evidence that you actually were the biggest and Fomoria doesn't top a single chart
>"b-but Fomoria has the biggest army"
>the chart you're posting yourself proves otherwise

Is this some sort of advanced false-flagging or what?