/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Meph edition

Previous thread
PLEASE NOTE: Dwarf Fortress has just received an update. If you play the newest version (44.03), be prepared for plentiful bugs and crashes. Do not complain about your bugs and crashes here, report them here: bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.44.03.
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist:
github.com/Dwarf-Therapist/Dwarf-Therapist/releases

>DFHack (Beta for 44.03, expect bugs):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164123
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Legends Viewer:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154617.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11455

>Starter Pack (Out of date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=53928.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12897
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

who needs a business strategy when you get to make your lifes project which you offer for free which in return nets you 80 thousand a year in donations.

>that fucking gear setup
Painful really.

I made a fort in evil region
Was doing ok untill i decided to butcher some animals.
Multiply undead hair and skin killed my fort.

How do you butcher animals in evil regions?

Some migrants have arrived.

>not setting a big military march of 6 people armed with copper maces surrounding the butchery

With a militia of hammerdorfs starring daggers into the butcher from behind.

I am a brainlet. I have no understanding of mechanics. What's the problem?

Some newfags have arrived, despite the shitposting

The left-right axle would rotate upwards right? So both of the gears on it will be spinning upwards at the same time.

So what happens when the teeth on the left gear are trying to turn the gear on the up-down axle to the right while the teeth on the right gear are trying to turn it to the left?

I'm surprised he hasn't choked on his own tongue yet.

It's stuck in place.

Ah. I see.
That'd pretty dumb.

Indeed it is. There's a reason we look down on Meph here.

>that one guy in the thread that same fags as 400 people pretending ascii is good because he can't figure out how to import graphics packs

Shitty bait. Take your (You) and go.

Whats the DF equivalent of Nukes?

Magma flood

dust/fire breathing FBs and what the other guy said

Why can't I have a squad of dual dagger wielding rogue dorfs clad in red and black leather armour and hoods?

magma mist projectors?

1 Adventurer on a magma flow with a minecart full of water and nothing better to do.

Fire Breathing Dragons m8

Thrall FB with fire

you can block breath with shield, duh

game can't handle the edge. would lead to instant fps death

my army

user a fully grown dragon is one of the most powerful enemies in the whole game, a fully grown dragon melts steel and i think can even melt adamantine and if it doesnt the heat from the breath sets dwarves on fire.

what happens when one of my legendary marksdwarfs shoots it in the face then?

Not sure if it'll melt candy but even a baby dergn will melt steel beams.

sounds like your dwarfs need to sack up

Luckily shield material doesn't matter for blocking dragonfire.

>Material: Firewood

>Blocks fire and

Toady could at least rectify some minor things

What are some mods with actual good lore? Like not just throwing in some recolored normal races or stealing from already existing franchises, but adding new stuff with fleshed out history? I know that there's a mod called Direforged that does this and has cool scary fey monsters in it.

Look boy we got our self a live one here, fetch the pitchforks.

Is there a problem?

bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=53928.0
^that's the mod I'm referencing. The guy has a whole pdf filled with lore. I remember visiting this place like a year ago and some user recommending it to me.

The man with the retarded sad cat pictures will lead you to enlightenment, my son.

Its my time to shine. Also I'm stealing this.

dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12897

I have to be honest though, I've gotten pretty much no feedback on the lore except for one time when I first posted the mod and someone was spooked by the lore regarding the Vulc race's origin, so I don't actually know if the lore is good.

You sounded disjointed with the world generator of DF,

Thats a clear red flag.

You make a good point. I'm aware that as the game progresses the lore I've written will be rendered obsolete. It did seem like a good idea when I wrote it but now that I think about it I will probably rewrite a fair amount of stuff so that it can be applied to any given setting, or at least enough that it'll work most of the time. And barring that, players could just make up their own origin for the species if they so desired.

Indeed

Imagination is a marvelous thing.

Oh and of course, the myth generator will likely make the backstory for people, which really makes me wonder if there will be a way to ensure that certain things will always show up for a given race. Having certain types of magic always be innately available would be an ideal situation for sure.

why do you

post like this

I just catapulted a dwarf into a Werebeast as i raise the bridge to fend it off. The dwarf bought enough time for the bridge to get closed and probably saved the entire fort.

He was the bravest cheese maker in the forts history and shown that even a cheese maker can be a functioning and productive member of dwarf society.

Build a statue in his honor.
No, build ten statues.

To bait out the people

Like you

You know

pointless formatting your sentences that way to "bait" people into commenting on them? Are you just that starved of attention?

this brings up a question i want to ask

can you make engravings and statues look like someone or an event?

Not him but it's just a paragraph break my dude

this

its easily the worst meme right now, "reddit spacing" is total bait thats used by some retards as a counter argument when it has literally no meaning

What a bizarre embark location. Three intersecting biomes, one good snowy woodlands with a huge chunk apparently missing, one regular joyous wilds and a wilderness across the lake. Clay, flux and sand. Bugger all for metals though, only native gold, silver and tetrahedrite.

>Toady
>fixing his game
Lmao

what is going on in the southwest?

It's a huge river.
Update: The ice metled and shat my FPS to 10, southwest is now a huge waterfall. Speaking of waterfalls, in the middle of the lake is a ridge with a natural elevation difference and now that the water is draining into the river on the west, there's now another huge waterfall between the east and west sides of the lake, which will probably end up as a natural dam as the water drains out.
Even though they're technically waterfalls, they're not generating any mist, strangely enough.

So when do you guys think Toady is gonna start coding multi-threading?

CPUs are all becoming about multiple cores and threading. Fuck if this game was multi-threaded i can only imagine how smoothly it would fucking run

Shot of the river, and a little isolated pocket of woodland. I should point out there's no ramps up to the rest of the map here by the way, it goes about half-way up the distance to the rest of the map then the sand abruptly stops. The walls are sheer cliffs of sand.

The top of the sand walls where the sand abruptly stops. There's no floor above the walls, for some reason. It's just wall with open space above it. The fortress of Bootkeepers is going to be a strange place.

now he's doing two fucking spaces per line of text
someone stop this madman

Fuck that's a hell of a weird spot, I see shit like that derping around now and then but the lake > canyon > whoops I forgot how to river is impressive.

>meph edition
cancer

i just cut down a tree which had a whole squad of my dwarves stuck in it, killing two of them on impact. Is there a way to get dwarves down without them dying or a better way to prevent them from getting the fuck up there

...build stairs?

why the fuck would i have to build stairs to get dwarves out of a tree they could climb up easily

Dwarves are fucking retarded

play 44.03

many soldiers died in this ambush, 40 spider fiend soldiers vs my squad of 10

How good is Memework mod?

It will block the direct effects of dragonfire, but the tile will still catch fire if flammable and your dwarf will get still injured from the ambient heat.

I flipped it on once and it has wayyyyyy too many modifications that I find to be in poor flavor. If that's something you don't care about maybe you'd enjoy it but in my opinion you'd have a better time piecing together a version of the game tailored to your own interests.

suggest some /fun/ gimmicks for my fort.

its above ground

>mfw traveling toward your own fortress for three real life days only to die being encased in ice as you step into the river

at least I manged to leave all my good in the stockpiles right guys

minecart gun

no women allowed

make most of your officials adventures instead of your starting seven,find one that you like & keep em alive kill the rest

Are there any lewd mods that haven't been nuked?

dwarf fortress mods or skyrim?

Does anyone have that "what has changed" image? Haven't picked the game up in more than 2 years.

Dwarf Fort

no

Is this a fort for ants?

Page 10... I must not succumb to sadness...

>haunted biome
>butcher has to kill the skin and hair of things after killing the thing they came from
>have to keep a soldier stationed in the chapel that's on top of our catacombs

I'm way too high for this shit

Let him die, just a fish skinner.

Hell Yeah, I've managed to transform Mountain Hall into a Hamlet and then into a Dark Fortress in the save without raw changes and even somehow changed its position in the world. Experiments continue, no bugs occured.

All site types found for now with their IDs:

0 - player fortress?
1 - dark fortress
2 - cave
3 - dorf fort
4 - elven trees
5 - town
6 - important location
7 - lair
8 - fort
9 - camp
A - monument
any other - abstract site

Did that bug where no matter what your dwarves would always be in a good mood get fixed? I tried to get back into df a bit ago but that sort of really sucked out some of the fun since they'd be happy to sit in squalor surrounded by the corpses of their friends. Also couldn't use dfhack to force sieges so it was basically a sandbox mode where everyone is happy and sieges hardly ever came.

Ok so, I think I've encountered a glitch although it might not be. I'm relatively new to fortress mode

So while being able to choose my civilization as an elf, I was given the choice of starting off in goblin settlements, despite the civ I chose being an elven civ. Like, the elven forest retreats are displayed as elven and have elven citizens, and when I chose to start in a goblin dark pit it was refered to as an elf dark pit but all the citizens are goblins and none of them are hostile to me.

The elves probably conquered the dark pit and now the goblin citizens are a part of the elf civ.

*adventure mode

There's plenty.

Aside from one user's Fantastic Races mod, Corrosion is mostly oc work; the guy behind the Warcraft mod also does his own oc stuff every once in a while - the Cave Revamp is his work, and he has separated his own designs from the crossover stuff.

What are some most notable bugs left in 44.03?
I wonder if I should play or wait for Toady to release next bugfix.

"Identify yourself" spam in adventure mode, also npcs not having proper emotions for stuff - they still say "it was inevitable" whenever someone or something dies, though atleast reputation is handed out properly.

I don't know what everyone's talking about because my haunted fortress has people committing suicide pretty frequently.

Not yet, though Toady did mention he intends on fixing that through the 44 bugfix cycle.

It has way too much shit that doesn't fit together thematically or gameplay-wise, which shouldn't surprise anyone since its basically just an average megamod, made by someone who really doesn't know much about modding. Also, very unstable.

I'd recommend just learning how to mod yourself and make personal mods, or alternatively picking up other people's stuff that you like and making them work together yourself, it'll probably be more stable than mw.

More accurately entity reputation gets saved but doesn't influence personal reputation properly, and what little it does influence seems to be mostly related to the loyal soldier type of quests.

The reputation entry here shouldn't be nil after doing a quest and telling people about shit like slaying megabeasts.