/arena/ - Arena FPS General

Quake Champions is trash Edition

A place to discuss all of your favorite old-school and modern arena shooters such as Quake Live, not Quake Champions, Unreal Tournament, Reflex, etc.

CPMA 1.5 IS OUT youtube.com/watch?v=JBKLEkWrHGQ

>Tutorials
youtube.com/watch?v=pLmuRRm1Bag&list=PLxP7tvMqaXzDjw7OYYIEbplCdZOaHLFPg
youtube.com/watch?v=f8CP1oSy_-o
youtube.com/watch?v=QRe3g65S4Zs&list=PLgbx1wWCtM2DYy26yCLbtY6A0XRiSEM3u&index=1
youtube.com/watch?v=n2tdDZWSGy4
youtube.com/watch?v=dkED2PSrl1c

>Q:C custom weapon skin showcase, complete with dual wield:
my.mixtape.moe/qebphk.webm

>List of /arena/ fags willing to play Q:C
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1w_r9pS_mV3vAZXwJmb5gM5LB2km77pkAx9s0aGFDxR0/

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kEajzGmqgvo
youtube.com/watch?v=q76UNcuKSVY
youtube.com/watch?v=G2WYX7wN3MU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

1st for anime

see that? ^^^^
we need a new thread

we do but for different reasons
why are cpmababbys so retarded

Life IS pain

youtube.com/watch?v=kEajzGmqgvo
youtube.com/watch?v=q76UNcuKSVY
youtube.com/watch?v=G2WYX7wN3MU

Slipgates etc.

does this count as a new thread?

>Play Q:C
>Forget about the wonders of CPMA
>Launch CPMA again
>Butter smooth
>Flying through the air
>Fast weapon switch

>tfw

literally any quake is better than QC
i would rather play netquake on dial-up than QC

>Fast weapon switch
i am a chew toy

>boot up CPMA
>use OSP/CQ3
>still a million times better than QC

>dodge quad nail, literally see it fly past me
>get hit anyways

oh right, now I remember why I stopped playing this.

On their screen, they hit you. They see and shot your afterimage. How would you improve it? Would they have to lead targets with rail? Would you have the rail they fired not be the rail you see, but instead have them draw the rail hitting you where you are and not where you were?

Speaking of nails why the fuck does the nailgun do splash damage? I'm tired of committing suicide for using it in close range.

try not being a retarded when you use it

NAILS not RAIL
i get why hitscan works that way, I would just like projectiles to not hit me when I move out of the way is all. feels bad man

how would projectiles be any different.

i don't know man I can't into network code.
I'm just assuming that if projectiles are server side and I have a 20ish ping then I can look at things and move out of the way.

I can jump and crouch over/under rockets and dodge projectiles in tf2 just fine.

I don't know how these things work i just want them fixed, just fix them

So you can jump with it dummy

Lag compensation exists to remove the feeling of latency from the -Attacker-. The idea is to make players with higher ping feel like they can actually aim and hit things, and it makes everyone not have to worry about leading targets(which varies depending on the latency of the target).
I'm fairly certain that QC's current netcode would feel amazing in a slower game, like Overwatch.

The major, often undervalued flaw of lag compensation is how it feels like to be SHOT. In Overwatch, the delay between RocketChampion firing a rocket and the rocket actually reaching the destination is enourmous- if I recall correctly the ~average~ fighting distance is ~25 meters, and it takes almost exactly 1 second for a rocket to travel that far. I don't have exact numbers on rocket speed in QC, but I don't need to know that it's many many times faster. Champions also move about faster.

The rail is fired at time zero for the attacker. The server receives information shooter latency later, then (I think) in QC ~8.3 milliseconds(very fast) later sends information to you that a rail has been fired back at attacker time zero. I don't think there are significant if any extra client-side delay on drawing the rail, but the rail it draws is exactly the rail that was fired, which means if you were moving fast it will almost ALWAYS look like a miss because of how fast QC is. The server only checks to see if the attacker hit what the attacker saw at attacker time zero, so basically it peeks back into the past after it receives the information from the attacker, to see what conditions were like at the time of reported time of attack off the latest information the attacker had at the time of the attack to tell if the rail hit or not.

Now I'm not sure how projectiles are currently handled, because it's been a bumpy ride for QC on rockets and nails. Right now at this very moment, I assume that Rockets and Nails are treated just like rails.

>health and weapon choice shown over enemy heads
the fuck is this gay shit?

>decide to play Quake Live since QC makes me rage
>rockets feel like they're fired from the back of the barrel
>get ganged up on by everyone in ffa
>sensitivity feels slow no matter the sens
>0.5 kd

I feel so out of practice, help.

I have a hope that the "simplified hitboxes" coming up will open the door to better performance. Here's the reason why- when a server does lag compensation and checks the past to see if the attacker would have hit- it has to look back at not just XYZ position, but also animation, turning of the hitbox, etc. We KNOW QC bothers to do that, because weird character animation and turning dodges shots just as well as just moving out of the way- Turning Anarki beanpoles and everything.

This is more work for everything involved- client, server, and connection.

I have found that taking a break from quake even for a bit is detri-fucking-mental to your performance the next time you play.

Solution play nothing but quake and become a quakedad

it's called a multi view demo

I thought switching to QC would keep my skills sharp, boy was I wrong. I wish I had more time for Quake but I've been playing Street Fighter more often with the new edition coming out soon.
I still can't find a decent sens though, it's either too slow or too fast with nothing that's just right. And I wish there was more than three or four non-clan arena servers in my area, fucking hate clan arena.

BIG QUAKE TIDDIES

impressive

Duel is bad game mode, kill it before it kills aFPS

I'm looking to test my ACCURACY

QC is bad game, kill it before it kills aFPS

how do you kill something that's already dead?

"I'm a shit player and need people to carry me"

good quote from the average QC player

discounting rapha who's the best streamer?

sqztoy

>get back to QC after the closed beta
>thing runs surprisingly well on my laptop
>under a minute long search for first match
Got fucked sideways 4:20 but I am feeling surprisingly positive about this. The Bethesda-launcher version is connected with Steam, right?

draqu

Goddammit I quit, the only non-clan arena server where I'm not suffering terrible ping is a 32 man FFA that ends up being even more of a clusterfuck than CA. Every duel server I play has over one hundred ping and noone is going to suffer a scrub like me. I guess I have no choice but to suffer Quake Champions, at least it has players.

you can link your game to steam

I've never not found d3th comfy
.tv/d3th_

I meant that they share players. I didn't buy the thing or anything. I just noticed that the game was still available for me.

yeah obviously they share players

>sits quietly in his room
>blurts out a fuck when he dies
>goes back to being quiet
>vapes
how can you watch this?

As soon as the hitbox changes go through such that rail accuracy % isn't artificially crippled you guys will see what I mean about how shit Duel really is.
Just sound + timing. Tic-tac-toe and "who can stop the watch on 1:00" doesn't make for a good game.

Chill, passionate, handsome, good taste in music, self-confident.

you're describing xhep

haha you made a funny

im being dead serious

>sits quietly in her room
>screams out many fucks when she dies
>goes back to being quiet
>dude weed lmao
how can you watch this?(sqzthot)

i dont, i only watch kripp

I've learned the most from Draqu's stream by just watching what he does and he explains things every so often if you @ him.

>kripp playing QC
would like to see that day

well rapha is kinda like kripp

it would just be interesting for the thousands of drones getting exposed to a real game

i dont think it would result to much. after all, qc still has less players than ql despite having a $1M tournament with 10k+ viewers.

what $1M tourney?

Why not implement a TF2-esque workshop where the community creates content and the devs implement some of them into the game? Wouldn't that be a decent compromise between the community's creative passion and the dev's desire to maintain creative control?

see? thats kind of my point.

And then you have to pay for thnah just kidding that'd be shitty

that's just poor advertising, promotion

Everything shitty happens with bethesda in charge.

>Queue for a match
>Energ3n is put on my team

Well, that's a free win for the other team.

fair enough.
regardless, the tournament hardly brought in any players despite having a good of viewers.

so the tournament already happened?
Hilarious, I played CBT and I play now, and I didn't even hear of it. the problem wasn't the existence of a tournament, clearly the problem was that they told nobody about it and didn't finish their game first

the problem was that they spent all of their budget on a tournament that nobody cared about instead of making a video game

After playing QuakeWorld for a few hours, here are my thoughts:

-Movement is awesome, but every map I played had a ton of big ass stairs or other design that interrupted the flow
-You are weaker as a fresh spawn than in literally every other arena fps I've ever played; I imagine racking up kills on fresh spawns is a big part of QW dueling, which isn't necessarily inherently bad
-I like that there's no rail, but jesus fucking christ the rl and lg in QW do too much damage

Overall it seems pretty awesome, and I wouldn't mind sinking a ton of time into it if I didn't have a ton of other shit to play.

Now I'm going to try Quake 2 I guess so that my arena fps journey can be complete. (Only played Quake 2 singleplayer and a very little bit of dm when I was ~12; no serious playing).

>(Only played Quake 2 singleplayer and a very little bit of dm when I was ~12; no serious playing).
Have you played Quake 1 singleplayer?

1. You're supposed to rocket jump up those stairs or wallrun. It's integral to a lot of maps and you will see pro players bypass them in creative ways.
2. Removal of tiered weapons was a mistake and killed TDM as a serious gamemode. Q2 starting weapon is even weaker but there are more viable weapons on the map to pick up
3. git gud the rockets and lg are fine for how the maps are designed and allow an out of control player to come back with a good ambush

>Have you played Quake 1 singleplayer?

Oh fuck yes; I played it the first time when it was brand new back in 96. That "only" was referring to Quake 2 and the fact that I "only" played its singleplayer and a tiny bit of dm, so never had any kind of in-depth "serious" experience with it, despite it being pretty popular among my friends at the time (I was obsessed with Warcraft 2 from 97-99 and played it 8-10 hours every day)

Quake 2 multiplayer is the last arena fps I've yet to play (well I also haven't played vore tournament), so I felt the need to give it a serious try for completion's sake.

>1. You're supposed to rocket jump up those stairs or wallrun.

I knew there'd be more advanced ways of moving about the levels; I'm mostly comparing the feeling of movement with the "ultimate freedom" of something like cpma, where just flying around the level at one million sanics and not tripping up on a ton of map geometry. Also if I'm being honest, not being able to 180 stairjump the red armor on aerowalk in QW kinda triggered me.

>2. Removal of tiered weapons was a mistake and killed TDM as a serious gamemode.

I agree it would help TDM be more "serious", but I also don't care too much since I always hated TDM as a mode regardless of how "mlg pro" it is

>3. git gud the rockets and lg are fine for how the maps are designed and allow an out of control player to come back with a good ambush

I definitely didn't hate it, and honestly might prefer it to the holy trinity since i really really hate the railgun

>haven't played vore tournament
Keep it that way.

Explain how it works. Does reducing their health kill them or slow them down to make them easier to vore or something?

Vore is not a verb.

retarded pleb

>teams imbalanced
>the rarely ever close
>if they are close it's because you carried hard through frustration and tears
>As soon as the going gets tough babs default to Anarki/Nyx
>have to play 10x better to stay ahead

what's your name in cpm

Savage is the best Sorlag set. Pack Lord is great too but you need to unlock all 3 of the helmet attachments since it sucks on its own, that's annoying.

UNATCO?

>find match
>no lights and few low tier champs in the lobby
>think im finally going to have a fun game
>1 minute into the match, and those same few people swap to anarkis and nyxs(try saying that 5 times fast)
it happens so often. why do people do this?

>what's your name in cpm

haven't played in years and there's an almost 0% chance you know me, but i mostly played as tyrin in cpm

figured as much
quake 2 is nothing like cpma for the record
you time everything even individual weapons since the weapon respawn rules are like netquake
railgun has inherent delay and hit percentage for it is lower than any other quake since you have to prefire it
RL, Chaingun, SSG, and Rail are the most important weapons but things like the Hyperblaster are useful out of control since they pierce one tier of armor

any general galena tips? how to best use her ability, movement stuff if the patch affected her, etc? just lookin for any general advice really

Play lockbox.

good circlejump, strafejump movement, strategize placing her totems in places that people stumble into and put them down often, lower the cooldown as much as possible with health globes and hourglasses and flood the field. Totem animation actually hurts most combat exchanges unless you have terrible aim or you want to lay a mine on a Clutch using shield or something. Totem presence also does a lot for teammates keeping their health up.

thanks, ill keep this stuff in mind.

>railgun has inherent delay and hit percentage for it is lower than any other quake since you have to prefire it
If you put in the time you can hit with it like it was Q3 or Q4
Just look at David play

How do I avoid getting reamed in FFA? Half the time I spawn and die since someone is closeby with rockets or lg. The other half I'll get a weapon but when I try to steal kills from players fighting they'll just all stop and focus me first before going back to killing each other.
This is less of problem in QC, except the second part happens more often. Is it normal to play 20+ man FFA on tiny maps?

>Is it normal to play 20+ man FFA
only on tf2 idle servers.
Too bad basically no or very few servers force max player count to 4-6 or fitting for the map.

SNG rate of fire is 10 per second (100 ms) and does 20 damage per shot. 200 dps. It's projectile. Guess how this feels?
>Shooter(125 latency) starts firing
>set Time 0 to when victim takes 20 damage, 0+100 MS victim takes another 20, 0+200 MS victim has taken 20 again, 60 damage
>Victim (75 latency) receives first indication that he's being hit at 0+200 MS. 60 damage is near instantly ripped off him

it feels like shit.

Yep
Now you understand why Carmack & old id insisted on a networking that delayed the shots by your latency
To preserve maximum visual reliability while still having movement prediction
Try Netquake with unlocked tickrates if you want to see what it's like to play a game with zero hacks or prediction on anything. It's actually really playable with modern internet (you can't go much over 50 ms, though), and unlocked tickrates will allow you to bhop like in Quake SP, which netquake's original low internal tick didn't

>I've learned the most from Draqu's stream by just watching what he does and he explains things every so often if you @ him.

He's pretty chill (I guess it's common among Finns to be autistic) and his music is generally good. It's mostly some 80/90's pop or electronic I used to listen 15-20 years ago but at least it's not awful dad-rock.

Why is Sorlag so utter garbage?

That's terror

She's not bad, it's just she doesn't shine as much as she did before with the very strong spit
It was a stupid nerf. The meta was literally better as it was before, at least there was a strong heavy to give you more serious options than just Lights
Now it's the 3 lights + Doom Slayer, and the heavies are either gimped or very mode-situational a la Clutch. Whereas Anarki is and always has been S tier in all gamemodes

Mid and Big size hitbox champions are aim magnets in game, everyone focuses them first instead of Slash / Anarki / Nyx because obviously it's way easier to hit a big chunk of meat like Sorlag.
Spit is just so damn irrelevant now, it barely deals any damage.
People used Sorlag in duels to set up traps for Slash, Nyx or Anarki but that was nerfed for some fucking retarded reason, it's almost like devs are doing everything to make Slash, Anarki and Nyx to have literally zero downsides, they are just the best choice. Maybe Slash is somewhat nerfed now and has moving issues on maps but Anarki and Nyx are pure cancer.

>Spit is just so damn irrelevant now, it barely deals any damage.
Not only its damage is shabby now, everyone got +25HP. The spit is still balanced for the old stacks
It's so hard to get a spit kill now, even with a direct hit

>10th page

Everyone complained so frequently and so vehemently that she got nerfed into the ground. Now people are mad because she got nerfed so hard.