>Then implement my object spawner
>Then read up on shaders
>UnderRail gets in the way

heem my game

>last day of demo day
>still no demo
: ^ )

WHERE'S THE FUCKING DD STREAM

Whoever is recording all the videos of demos with an overlay of buttons pressed I just wanna say thank you. That's honestly the best feedback a dev can get.

HE SAID HE'D DO IT ON THE WEEKEND YOU DAFT CUNT

Making games on godot is like being chef in the elite restaurant.

IT'S SUNDAY

WHAT"S HIS TWITCH?
I WANT TO KNOW AS SOON IT STARTS.

youtube.com/channel/UCjdJ-7rIQS7gC7CPDdQNmXw

seconding this, he's doing god's work

Godough makes me hungry.

NEXT WEEKEND
WHEN "DEMO DAY IS OVER" AND "WEEKEND" OVERLAP

prettysober, I think

>not just dragging and dropping the model into Unity

retarded my dude

With 9 hours to go I finally got my demo ready, if people wanna try it out that'd be really fun. Gonna start playing through some of the other submissions during the week. Great work everyone!
lkgames.itch.io/sweet-fukushu

My computer can't even run Unity, I have to use OpenGL 2.1, I'm using SFML to save the headaches of trying to get the right spices mixes and the stars aligned for GLEW/GLUT/GLAD to work.

also I want to understand how engines work.

I like this, I will play this.

Fug, missed the dd.

Did the lead developer of your engine get an article in an Argentinian newspaper 20 years ago?

Etyliv status:
[ ] Sought
[X] Unsought

>1998 was 20 years ago

Where's the poverty chat at?

I am the lead developer of my engine so no

>tfw 25 years old
>tfw haven't released a game yet
>one entire quarter of a century
>wasted
I'm too old now, I'll never make it

Flip though that paper and tell us how many times the Falklands/Malvinas are mentioned

What are some essential books for a zero knowledge beginner?

yup

John Carmack was 48 when he first released the game that made him famous "Steam"

Plato's The Republic.

Why did I expect some actual answer?

around what period of development should you start blogging and all that gay shit

He isn't wrong, that's one of the best books you can read. Plebs gonna pleb I guess.

1 week

I have no clue, man. Just find any programming class and see if it gets you anywhere. I never learned well from books, I'd recommend just picking some dumb game to copy (like, atari simple) then looking up youtube videos.

Just download unity and follow their baby tutorials.

Honestly, I think experience is much better than you'll ever get from books, game design is 100% intuition.

Find a programming language, experiment with it and learn how to grok it (if you are interested in writing your own engine, you might want to learn some of the simple math behind programming. i.e. discrete mathematics)

For games, you should play games and try to deconstruct why they were designed the way they were. You'll get it, eventually.

excellent

post more music to dev to!

youtube.com/watch?v=abDCsQrDLTE

Thanks so much!
>I want to see a grapple/throw attack in there now.
Yeah! I'm going to have some weapons with melee as their main attack or alt fire so I'll have to make a power gauntlet or something that can throw enemies into each other.

You're gonna do great, I promise. Just keep at it.
Letting your task demons cloud your thoughts make them seem much more impossible than they really are.

youtube.com/watch?v=l5By5IRWxxk

youtube.com/watch?v=JxM-5jJ-FRw

You are in a top-down room with 4 identical exits in each cardinal direction.
Which do you choose?

I'm more interested in learning about engines, I got the title of a book I wanted to read but then I forgot it due to the holidays, now I can't find the thread on my history either.

I know where I can learn about programming.

>Find a programming language, experiment with it and learn how to grok it (if you are interested in writing your own engine, you might want to learn some of the simple math behind programming. i.e. discrete mathematics)
What about engines like UE4? Is it possible to mod them if you need it? How much freedom to create your own functions they give?

>For games, you should play games and try to deconstruct why they were designed the way they were. You'll get it, eventually.
I have done this for fun for the past 5~6 years. Learning about design and why things are the way they are has always been fun to me, the technical part is what eludes me.

I actually have some small experience modifying some games like Dawn of War and Torchlight, mostly on the level technical level, but I know this is much easier than doing something from scratch. I also need to learn how to deal with sprites which is what I want to use for my project.

give me a fucking idea.

>filename
hue

youtube.com/watch?v=o2iZkqm32cg

Silent Hill Persona
Procedural Dark Souls
Halo multiplayer clone
RB6 Siege clone
Mobile Catherine

summer so cute, wsjn comeback when?

sit don and masturbate

Assuming it's a perfectly square room and I am directly in the middle and I have no indication whatsoever of what is in the other rooms, I will go left first. Otherwise I will go to the closest room first, unless I have some indication of what is in the other rooms, in which case I will go to the room that makes the most sense in whatever context I'm in.

Any engine in the OP gives you the freedom to do whatever you want, they have their strengths and weaknesses but won't outright stop you from making something.
Just download it, read the manual and look around for tutorials, it will be intimidating at first but just keep going at it and stuff will make sense eventually.

race war mmorpg

>Silent Hill Persona

what does that even mean?

expansive AAA open world RPG

get creative

a game about throwing cinderblocks at toilets

as soon as you post a demo

>random segfault sometimes happens when finishing one particular level
>try to figure out why
>it stops happening
>no idea if I accidentally fixed it
C was a mistake

should've used godot

>tfw relaxing in chair, covered in comfy blankets, working on my game on one monitor and watching my crypto gains moon on the other while wagies are out in the freezing cold slaving away to make money for other people

let's player bait. think of something obscene and dadaic with humorously janky controls

Either u forgot to re-compile previously and this compilation fixed it.
Or the bug persists and it doesnt show up by happenstance.
anyway, welcome to the master race.

computer simulator VR
Youre the computer and get input from users and have to give them output in a timely manner.

Why aren't you using OpenGL 3.3+?

DELETE THIS

Question time!
What looks better?
First has a bit of randomness, second is hand placed.

Hand place it so you can properly landmark things and don't teach your players to ignore hints in the background

If you want systems programming with provable memory safety, go with Rust. There are no mature engines but the pieces are there for you to glue together if you're enginedevving anyway.

>pandering SJW-infested shit languages

I don't keep up with the rust community, what's so sjw about it? Just Mozilla's fingers in the jar?

that's looking so much better than earlier glimpes. I love the suicide belly slide and how you knock away his knife

Shitty intel iGPU so I don't really have a choice.

friendly reminder to cut out 30% of your game so it'll still run at full speed now that x86 performance is being nerfed 30%

Who wants me to make videos on the demo day again?

Is it possible for one person to make a good arpg?

Do one for Hair Reciev Bullet 2

crashes after "life here is peaceful"

I'm about to fall for the cryptomeme, please stop

You can make it if you go with simple/abstract graphics and tiny scope.

Of course
But action rpg's are inherently shit, and I'll tell you why.

A good action game means you can take on whatever the game throws at you. You use the core mechanics, and tackle the challenge.

Action "RPGs" are held back by RPG elements. You need to do things like upgrade weapons, level up, and engage in things like talent trees to be competitive.

I love games like Dark Souls, but I firmly believe they're held back, and not lifted up by their RPG elements.

vine's intro vids or vids of the game? I'll take both.

garbage like this belongs on /v/, just FYI

>tfw have a dumb friend who invested in Dogecoin as a joke years ago
>is now sitting on 1500 bucks worth of this shit

semester starts tomorrow lads
probably won't be able to get much devving done

left, like everyone

Doing feedback/critique on the games submitted to Demo day.

who still uses x86 though?

very wrong. dark souls, gothic, castlevania, all uplifted by character progression mechanics. All long games should have some kinda abstraction or minigame that stops the main gameplay loop from becoming stale. it's games like the original castlevania that are in fact flawed

Games like diablo 2 and Van helsing pretty much disprove your point though.
Isn't game design discussion allowed here?

Diablo is about grinding loot. That's the game.

"This genre is shit" is /v/ level game design discussion.