Was Hannibal Black?

My history teacher today was going over the Punic wars and she told us all that Hannibal was a black man. I've seen several shows and documentaries portraying him as black as well. So what's the story? I've seen some Eurocentric sources claim he was white but I'm not convinced. What's the truth Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

britannica.com/topic/Hannibals-ethnicity-and-physical-appearance-2020107
ancienthistory.about.com/od/hannibal/f/Was-Hannibal-Black.htm
nytimes.com/1991/07/20/opinion/l-hannibal-of-carthage-was-no-more-black-than-king-david-337391.html
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21082907
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No.

Your teacher is a moron and should be fired

He probably looked like a Lebanese guy

Carthaginians were Phoenicians

hannibal was never a king was he?

What was his official title anyway? As far I as knew he was only a general (and also a senator?)

unlikely
>britannica.com/topic/Hannibals-ethnicity-and-physical-appearance-2020107
>ancienthistory.about.com/od/hannibal/f/Was-Hannibal-Black.htm
>nytimes.com/1991/07/20/opinion/l-hannibal-of-carthage-was-no-more-black-than-king-david-337391.html
likely phoenician

>African King
>Hannibal Ruler of Carthage
Where did you get that picture from?
Everything in it is wrong maybe exept the dates, but how secure are they after 2000 years?

wikipedia says "Shophet"

It's a website with all of Africa's kangs

>Hannibal is carthaginese
>carthaginese people are phoenicians
>phoenicians are semitic
>semitic people are not black
It's pretty damn easy

>African King
>Ruler of Carthage

He was not any of these things.
He was a General for Carthage, who went rogue and built his kingdom on the Iberian peninsula. Not Africa.

And no, he was not 'black' he was Phoenician and we know Phoenicians had light skin.

It does not matter though. Your teacher is right no mater what they say, because they are the teacher. Just agree with whatever they say, pass the class, and try to forget about all the time you wasted in school later in life like the rest of us.

Hannibal was black. He was from Africa. Haven't you ever seen a person from Africa? They're all black. All over their bodies. Like they're meant to blend in with the night.

>Your teacher is a moron

You're the moron if you think OP's story is real.

You've clearly never been in an American public school social studies class.

possible but unlikely, also he wasn't a king

This. Just know he was a Phoenician Semite of the House of Barca (great prestigious Carthaginian family) and at the most had some Berber/Libyan blood.

Carthage wasn't black and they didn't have kings by the time they were relevant.

How can you be sure the Carthaginian aristocracy weren't BLACKED by their nubian slaves?

This. Prove the Carthaginians aren't black? The Eurocentric sources are not valid because they didn't want to recognize that a BLACK man had beaten the white Romans.

Had they ever kings?

You can't (((prove))) it. But by the same measure you shouldn't take the Carthaginians at anything but their word.

They had specific terms for Phoenicians, Libyans, and other Africans, and they never used the terms for black Africans in correspondence with their ruling classes.

So either the (highly xenophobic) Carthaginians arbitrarily decided to include sub-Saharan Africans into the terms for berberic Africans because 'reasons' OR more likely they meant 'libyan' when they said 'libyan' and 'phoenician' when they meant 'phoenician'

Yes. Early on they had kings (malek) but switched to elected judges (shophetim)

Didn't know that.
Do we have proof of these Kings or are the legandary like the roman ones and most likely just some later We wuz kingz?

Hannibal was black because he lived in AFRICA, educate yourselves crackers. Just like Idris Elba is white because he lives in Europe, it's not that hard to understand.

We have as much proof as the ancients can get. According to the Carthaginians they used to have kings appointed by Tyre (in modern Lebanon) but then Tyre got PERSIANED so they elected local leaders from the aristocracy.

According to Aristotle there were two Suffetim elected to lead the people, much like Roman Consuls

Sorry for being suspicious, I'm just interested, but
>According to the Carthaginians
I always thought we don't have any survining scripture from them just some citation in roman literature.
Or are you talking about inscriptions or stuff from Tyre?

Here's what modern Tunisians look like. I don't think they've changed that much in the last two millennia, but I could be wrong. Carthaginians certainly didn't look like West Africans which is where American blacks came from.

Their language is well documented

There was significant Arab migration to North Africa.

The banu hilal is
the most famous tribe to go there

Considering the era, even less so than if he was born in Northern Africa today. So, if we are talking "Sub Saharan African", then no.
Olive or tan at most.

Hannibal probably looked more like a Plebanese than a Tunisian

North Africans were originally pretty pale skinned, especially before Hamitic migration. I remember some reconstructions and they looked like arab nosed Micks complete with ruddy hair.

What's well documented for you?
I thought we only knew punic names, have some inscriptions and a passage from Plautus
Or a you talking about phoenician?

Was he black? No

Does it matter? No

If kids need that little push to become passionate about history, then let him be black. God knows there are enough while people in history to look up to

Completely translated and we know that it was stolen til the 500s ad

Fuck you.

But there were real kingdoms ruled by people who were really black.

>Mansa Musa
>all we know about him is in an atlas full of fake information
>There's not even logical proof a kingdom of his magnificence ever existed

this is false
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21082907
>Our objective is to highlight the age of sub-Saharan gene flows in North Africa and particularly in Tunisia. Therefore we analyzed in a broad phylogeographic context sub-Saharan mtDNA haplogroups of Tunisian Berber populations considered representative of ancient settlement. More than 2,000 sequences were collected from the literature, and networks were constructed. The results show that the most ancient haplogroup is L3*, which would have been introduced to North Africa from eastern sub-Saharan populations around 20,000 years ago. Our results also point to a less ancient western sub-Saharan gene flow to Tunisia, including haplogroups L2a and L3b. This conclusion points to an ancient African gene flow to Tunisia before 20,000 BP. These findings parallel the more recent findings of both archaeology and linguistics on the prehistory of Africa. The present work suggests that sub-Saharan contributions to North Africa have experienced several complex population processes after the occupation of the region by anatomically modern humans. Our results reveal that Berber speakers have a foundational biogeographic root in Africa and that deep African lineages have continued to evolve in supra-Saharan Africa
he inflated the currencies of Egypt and his entourage is apparently recorded
Maybe mixed

Phoenicians weren't necessarily black, so I doubt it.